Will We See Soulcalibur VI at E3 This Year?

• Admin
Another year, another E3. Another year where we wait for an announcement at E3. While previous years we've been grasping at straws, I think this year we could actually get some sort of hints of a new release. Allow me to explain why I think you guys should get your hopes up and why I think Namco has yet to abandon the series...

Firstly, depending on which game (Soul Edge or Soulcalibur), and which release you are talking about (arcade or console), we're right in the middle of what could be considered the 20th anniversary for the series. This can be seen with the the activity on the Official Soulcalibur Facebook all last year celebrating the 20th anniversary. If Namco had indeed abandoned the series, why spend the effort to conduct polls and keep readership alive on Facebook; a platform which companies primarily use for marketing.

But you may be asking: why have we been waiting 5 years? Traditionally, we get a new numbered Soulcalibur game every 3 to 4 years; whats with the delay? Instead we've been inundated with lackluster mobile games and clearly micro-transaction based cash grabs. These questions, I think could be answered by examining the mind of Katsuhiro Harada. Harada is the chief director or the Tekken series, as well as a member of Project Soul. Most importantly, he took control of Namco's entire fighting game division before the release of Soulcalibur V.

A lot of us believe that Soulcalibur V was undercooked; as if it was released 6 months early. The menu systems and character select screens which were clearly placeholders during the beta, ending up sticking around for the full worldwide release. As well as the entire bottom row of characters being filler clones, instead of unique fighting styles of Talim, Zasalamel or Yun-seong. (BTW, Talim consistently wins popularity polls year after year)

However, you must realize that if SCV was released months later, it would have come out in the same fiscal quarter as Tekken Tag Tournament 2. There is no way a smart producer would ever allow that to happen. That would put two similar Namco products competing with each other and cannibalize their profits. So I personally believe (without evidence) that Harada made the fiscally responsible choice and pushed up the release of SCV.

So why push up Soulcalibur and not Tekken, why give Soulcalibur the short end of the stick? Well here in America, we tend to think of Soulcalibur as the more popular series; but worldwide, this simply is not true. Tekken has been historically the more successful franchise. As well, you must consider the coin-op business; Tekken still has one and Namco was originally a coin-op business. I honestly would not be surprised if in a few years, Namco goes down the Konami route and focuses the majority of their business on the extremely profitable gambling businesses of pachinko and slots.

Keeping all this in mind, that Namco doesn't want Soulcalibur to compete against Tekken, it makes sense that Namco hasn't really spoken about Soulcalibur for the past two years. Tekken 7 has had an extremely long arcade cycle this time around, releasing as a coin-op over two years ago! During that time they've spoken about Tekken 7 to the point where I kind of feel like it's already an old game; even though it doesn't release to consoles for another two weeks.

But Tekken 7 is releasing in two weeks... which means it could finally be time to talk about Soulcalibur again. E3 is in 3 weeks; after the release of Tekken 7. According to the E3 2017 Exhibitors List, Namco will be showing off a fighting game at E3. Namco has five popular fighting game franchises: Tekken, Soulcalibur, Naruto, Dragon Ball Z and Smash Bros. Out of those titles it is more likely that Namco shows up Tekken or Soulcalibur on the show floor... the question is, do they use the space to showcase a game they just released and have been showcasing for over two years? Or do they unveil an upcoming game, such as Soulcalibur VI?

So what do you want out of E3? Soulcalibur VI? Soulcalibur 3 HD Online?

Jason Axelrod

Jason Axelrod

Owner and Operator of 8WAYRUN
I'm very surprised to hear that SoulCalibur is regarded as more popular than Tekken in the US, it sounds ridiculous to me. Everyone thinks of Tekken/SF/MK when they hear fighting game here (Europe), most people haven't even ever heard of SoulCalibur. Well anyway, I do certainly hope for finally at least hearing something new about SC. I think that if a new game will acutally come out, it will be SCVI, I don't think they'd come out of their hole after all this time just to give us SCIIIHD.

Long answer: Bla bla reasons bla bla....

Short answer: NO
Pretty much. No offense to Jaxel, but that article just comes off as a rationalization as to why we can't even get an announcement of the next game. It also doesn't help that the morale of community is exceedingly low atm. Tekken is a way bigger name than SoulCalibur. It's impossible for an SC6 announcement to be a threat in anyway, especially with T7 around the corner. Even if they announced it today, the next SC game will likely release in over a year and a half at minimum. I feel like I'm repeating myself here, so I have nothing else to say on this matter

Namco's never given Soul Calibur the respect it deserves. Releases for it have long windows in between and the last couple have been noticeably rushed. Compare that to the love Tekken gets from Namco. Tekken 7 for instance was announced July 2014 and here we are coming into July 2017. THREE YEARS have been committed to it's development. Compare that to Soul Calibur V, a game that might not have happened without a petition, announced May 11, 2011 and released January 31st, 2012. Eight months. Eight months for one title. THREE YEARS for another. And then they're disappointed in the sales of the rushed product because they were less than Soul Calibur IV. Which still turned out really well for the time that they had, let's be honest. The sales figures probably confirmed to some people within Namco that there wasn't much of a future for the Souls series though, but those people also never gave it much of a backing and don't care to try it again so it's a self fulfilling prophesy.

I even wonder if project soul still exists as an internal development entity at Namco after the dissolution of "Rise of the Incarnates"? I haven't looked it up (Maybe I will after this post, maybe not) (Okay I looked it up and the last credit I could find was for a souls game from 2014) That said, while I'd definitely love to hear a Soul Calibur VI announcement, any announcement would come as a surprise more than anything. A pleasant surprise, a welcomed surprise, but a surprise none the less. I'd also welcome whatever they made, but I seriously doubt it would be made with the time and funding to make it something groundbreaking.

Namco's never given Soul Calibur the respect it deserves. Releases for it have long windows in between and the last couple have been noticeably rushed. Compare that to the love Tekken gets from Namco. Tekken 7 for instance was announced July 2014 and here we are coming into July 2017. THREE YEARS have been committed to it's development. Compare that to Soul Calibur V, a game that might not have happened without a petition, announced May 11, 2011 and released January 31st, 2012. Eight months. Eight months for one title. THREE YEARS for another. And then they're disappointed in the sales of the rushed product because they were less than Soul Calibur IV. Which still turned out really well for the time that they had, let's be honest. The sales figures probably confirmed to some people within Namco that there wasn't much of a future for the Souls series though, but those people also never gave it much of a backing and don't care to try it again so it's a self fulfilling prophesy.

I even wonder if project soul still exists as an internal development entity at Namco after the dissolution of "Rise of the Incarnates"? I haven't looked it up (Maybe I will after this post, maybe not) (Okay I looked it up and the last credit I could find was for a souls game from 2014) That said, while I'd definitely love to hear a Soul Calibur VI announcement, any announcement would come as a surprise more than anything. A pleasant surprise, a welcomed surprise, but a surprise none the less. I'd also welcome whatever they made, but I seriously doubt it would be made with the time and funding to make it something groundbreaking.

Couldn't have said it better! SC was ALWAYS Namcos "STEPCHILD", despite being the franchise with FAR bigger potential... such a SHAME

I've always said as long as Tekken 7 isn't released, we shouldn't expect a thing.
Now that time is approaching so something BETTER be announced this year because I don't intend to support Namco any further if they teased us this year with facebook/twitter actitivy and 20th anniversary website/ trailer for nothing.

They actually announced they were working on a new Calibur around Christmas of 2010, and for those who got "whispers" from inside the Namco camp it was said that things had been already started months before that (around September if I remember right) so it had more than 8 months being worked on for sure (although the game was still short changed granted). However I do agree with the point that Calibur has always been treated poorly and definitely has the most potential. It's why even with all of this work Tekken is going to be a flop once again. That series sucks and it reached it's shelf life in 2003. No one will be playing it after a year at most.

I'm very surprised to hear that SoulCalibur is regarded as more popular than Tekken in the US, it sounds ridiculous to me.
That's because it's not accurate. Compare SoulCalibur's Facebook page to Tekken's and you'll see what I mean. Soulcalibur has 355K likes on it's FB page, while Tekken has 3 million. Not only that, but Tekken's page isn't filled with a bunch of trivia, memes, and dead character polls. The twitter of Tekken 7 ALONE has over 23.5K followers. Compare that to the twitter for the entirety of the SoulCalibur series, which barely reaches 6K. I don't know what's worse: Namco's half-ass treatment of SoulCalibur as they glorify Tekken or people on this site telling me that announcing or promoting SoulCalibur is detrimental to Tekken, when we're seeing the exact opposite. Tekken dwarfs Soulcalibur in terms of recognition and popularity it's amazing

Last edited:
That's because it's not accurate. Compare SoulCalibur's Facebook page to Tekken's and you'll see what I mean. Soulcalibur has 355K likes on it's FB page, while Tekken has 3 million. Not only that, but Tekken's page isn't filled with a bunch of trivia, memes, and dead character polls. The twitter of Tekken 7 ALONE has over 23.5K followers. Compare that to the twitter for the entirety of the SoulCalibur series, which barely reaches 6K. I don't know what's worse: Namco's half-ass treatment of SoulCalibur as they glorify Tekken or people on this site telling me that announcing or promoting SoulCalibur is detrimental to Tekken, when we're seeing the exact opposite. Tekken dwarfs Soulcalibur in terms of recognition and popularity it's amazing
It's indeed about a question of quality... Harada alone gives enough information and interact well with the T7 community, to answer questions, congratulate them, give bits of information, while Daishi was all about Kayane most of the time, and Hoshino... Well, Hoshino just answered once and said "this silence should never have happened" and yet here we are!

Bamco isn't even trying anymore so, even though it hurts me to say so, if we have to work out each bit we reclaim and barely get anything, the series should stay where it is...

Bamco isn't even trying anymore so, even though it hurts me to say so, if we have to work out each bit we reclaim and barely get anything, the series should stay where it is...
Tbh I even have a feeling SC6 was planned at first, thus all teasing in facebook for a year up until this winter, but then it got cancelled. And, as nothing was announced to begin with, nobody is telling us that something that never officially existed is cancelled.

I'm not sure where the SC series stands at this moment, but with the Tekken series, allegedly, taking a break after T7, hopefully once T7's hype simmers and their sales are finalized, we could have a possibility of them doing something with the SC series, especially with the little change Namco got from Lost Swords and HQ remakes.

Tbh I even have a feeling SC6 was planned at first, thus all teasing in facebook for a year up until this winter, but then it got cancelled. And, as nothing was announced to begin with, nobody is telling us that something that never officially existed is cancelled.
I totally agree with you, there's barely any other explanation for their burst of activity returned to dust.

that would be sad if it's true. in a more optimistic note, they could switch gears to a remaster/remake instead of sequel. And I always thought it was going to be announced at this years TGS, not E3

Back