Anti step:
3A, WR A, 66A, 22AA, AA

B)mix ups

close range:
1K,throw,3K,BB,6K,1B

mid range:
1A,3B,BB,A+B/A+BA

long range:
LOL I was pushing it with those previous ones you think raph has long range mix ups?HA!

POST GI:
fast: 33K:B
Slow: 66A+B

C)whiff punish

distance whiff punish:
236B,66B>prep K:K> 11B

sidestep whiff punish:
33K:B
22B VE B:B

FC punish:
WR B, WR K

D)pokes

3B,AB,A,B,6B,22B,6K,WR B,

E)Frame traps

on hit:
3K,A,6A,WR K

on CH:
A,AA,6K

on block:
VE A

Attack use detail:

A)lows- raphs lows are lacking in alot of aspects, to use his lows well you must pick your
spots wisely his lows are by no means good in any way,shape,or form

lows:
2K:standard 2K with more then average range

1K: -2 on hit and raphs only oki option that tracks both sides, as far as standing lows go its
pretty slow but does decent dmg

1B/1BB: not recomended heres why: 1B is -6 on hit which is awful even for a low and 1BB isnt
NC and -16 on block. its pretty fast at i17 so maybe you might find some use for it

1A: if raph had a decent low this would be it. good range and -4 on hit compared to raphs
other lows is a god send

FC 3B: another of raphs decent lows good spacing on hit and FC 3BB disaudes your opponet from
capitalizing on his frame advantage. FC 3BB/FC 3B can be a good mix up but if FC 3BB is blocked your going to get hurt.

33B:this low whiffs to much to be useful

2A+B: not much use for this move its painfully obvious and can be seen a mile away. It does
soul crush quite well so can be used on a flashing opponet. They have 2 options at this point
eat the dmg this lows gives which is pretty good and get knocked down or get closer to being soul crushed(asuming they dont start jumping).

prep K:K : outside of combos this low should barely be used. Hell it shouldnt even be used as
a low. ill talk about it later in the prep section in its use outside of combos.

B)mids-raphs mids are generaly pokes and have good range

mids:

3B/3(B): raphs staple mid, -14 on block but has knock back to make it %100 safe. when going
into prep 3(B) is 0 block. the threat of prep makes this a scarey ranged poke. good spacing on
block means it can be used to gain space. it isnt fool proof though this poke is linear and
cant be hit checked going into prep.

B/BB:another staple poke 0 on hit. BB has good range but is -2 on hit. a good strat for BB is
after it hits at tip range step or VE.

WR B: good spacing on block and hit does good SG dmg. is a good mid in general. iWR B can be
an effective tactic at mid range provided you dont abuse it.

A+B/A+BA: probally one of the few moves raph has with good anti step abillitys to both sides
although the final hit can be GId after blocking the first 2 so watch out. The final hit
tracks both sides well. good move due to its risk reward ratio.

236B: a power mid that does a lot of dmg and has a good TC period. also mildly safe but you
will be left in a mix up afterwords so always a risk involved

11B: GREAT move. safe tech jump that soul crushes in 8 i like to use it occasionaly using it
only once in a match can make your SG pressure so much more effective.

22B- GREAT move. pro tip learn the VE B:B JF if you already havent. 22B also is good for SG
game crushing in 10. on hit its 60 dmg if you can JF

6K: fast TJ and good spacing

3K:good for mid ranged pressure

44A(B): Best prep transition because they cant step it seeing as how it forces crouch also is 0 going into a fast stance on block. does a fuckton of dmg on CH

66A+B: nothing special on hit aside from being the WORST launcher in terms of dmg in SC4. when
they block it the move shines with the push back and -2 on GRD. an effective mix up is 3B/44B
after words.

highs-mostly fast pokes

highs:
A/AA/AB: i will break these down individually

A: a solid ranged poke aside from being high and the draw backs of AA's tracking (ill get into
that later) it has no disadvantages. Its -2 on block making it pure sex

AA: each hit tracks a diffrent side making it important to raphs anti step game

AB: another good move. safe and +2 on hit

6B: solid ranged poke very good range for an i13

6BB: just use 6B(B)

6B(B): enters prep. enters prep with a fair advantage on hit so your opponet MIGHT not want to
step it.

4Branged poke. it has a weird hitbox so you can poke at long range

STANCES

A) Vourlock envloupment: A mind game stance more so then an evade...... VE's strenth comes from raphs huge throw range(out side of 2A range) and having a mid high with excellent frames.
VE's fast option VE B can be used as a ranged poke, and use VE K to throw off GI timing.

VE A+G/B+G: this is it, the bread and butter, the juice, ect...., this and VE B should be your primary attack out of VE. your objective with this move is to get people to duck to force a mix up between VE A/VE throw. Mashing give you health back I mash all my binds and face buttons it really makes a diffrence in the health i get back.

VE B/VEB:B : VE B:B should only be used in combos, now with that said lets move onto VE B.
VE is is a midly fast ranged poke. Once people realize this is high they will duck it to avoid it making VE A open for use.

VE A: a mid high with +2 on block frames and +10 on hit. on hit this forces a mix up between a few options... they are:
A+BA- they arent stepping this mix up
33K:B- fast mid
back throw-shoulda ducked sucka!

****IMPORTANT**** after VE A hits 2B+K will hit some characters which will allow the combo 2B+K 3B prep A 3B prep BBB:B.

VE K: I can only find one use for this move..... to throw off GI timing plus its a mid but mildly unsafe but can be safe at range. on hit it ROs and allows TP gimmicks to be used (wont work more then once)

B) PREPARATION- the general opinion of raph mainers is that prep is garbage but it has its uses. whoring prep is an easy to lose due to this stances huge flaws but intelligent use of this stance can be effective.

Prep A: this move is a perfect example of what ALL RAPH STANCES are about: GUESSING. If you guess right you are rewarded with a combo. guess wrong and you get NH and -6 or worse it gets blocked and you get punished. ok lets talk about the actual logistics of this move, on CH it is an unakeable stun. on NH it is -6 on hit and -16 on block. This move is a mind game move, the threat of this move will keep people from attacking while you stance transition to other stances(VE SEA). The primary use of this move is making people freeze up to alow mind games....

****important**** on prep A CH there is a great mix up you can apply instead of the standard 3B combo. it is: Prep A CH> 2A> throw/33K:B

PREP BB/BBB/BBB:B series- once again a guessing move the first 2 hits are high but the 3rd and 4th are mid this string can be effective by just playing the "where does my string end" game. Meaning use prep BB the entire match until you decide to use prep BBB ECT. prep B(B) is a gamble because your going back into prep but an empty prep after this is a viable strat.

Prep K/K:K : once again guess right and you are rewarded. this move serves 1 function outside of combos: jumping 2A's. if you guess right you are rewarded with a nice little ground stun. this basicly ups the ante from prep A, a higher risk/reward gamble if you will.

prepA+B: once again guess right and get rewared greatly(see a trend here?) this is another higher risk/reward version of prep A. more risky then prep K but more reward. the evasiveness of this move will backstep a 2A and TC a high. it has great soul crush abillity but if this gets blocked prepare to get hurt.

SHADOW EVADE ALPHA-
this stance has great frames but is difficult to enter without getting nailed but there is a counter for this i ill eplain later

SEA B:primary move that should be used in this stance. has an option to lead back into prep, the rest of the moves in this stance should be a support for this move to make up where this move lacks.

SEA A: tracking high that is +10 on hit and 0 on guard use this when they step your SEA transition.

SEA K: fast stun that is unsafe this is basicly SEA's version of prep A if they start intrupting your SEA B use this it's much faster.

SHADOW EVADE BETA
- if you can actually reach this stance safely it is BETTER then mitsu's relic. good luck reaching it consistantly though.You really cant go wrong with SEB A OR B

SEB B: god like unshakeable stun. leads to 80 dmg combo -2 on block soul crushes in 8 has huge knock back. tracks both sides slighty

SEB A: GOD LIKE mid tracking hori. +10 on hit +2 on block

SEB K: why use this move at all when the other 2 options are so damn good...... i guess use it like SEA K.

A)oki game:
raphs oki is god awful so either back up or 1K. i usualy opt for backing up

B)ring out game:
raphs RO game is god awful his ring out attacks are as follows:

33K:B(front)
B+G(front)
A+G(right)
66K(front)
WR B CH(front)

C)wall game:
Raphs wall game is god awful, if you by the grace of god manage to land a wallsplat do this combo:3B prep A 3B prep BBB:B

COMBOS:
66B prep K:K 11B

4(B) prep A 3(B) prep BBB:B

22B CH 3B prep A 3B prep BBB:B

3(B) prep BB

tech traps
236B (opponent hits ground) 3B prep BB

WR B CH 44B

random ish
:

raphs 4A+B is re-giable

each hit of AA tracks different sides so it is situational as a step killer

why does raph 4B+K exist?

Tiamats format

Win until your opponet stepz:raph guide

things to note

1)A+G can ring out to your side more than the front. I think it's technically raph's front-left (his 10 o clock)

2)44A has ghosting issues (try it from the side against characters) such that the entire blade goes through the opponent. From the front it's more accurate hitbox/animation though

3)6A is too good a move to ignore.
The frame stats for the move is "amy-good" plus it tracks 100% to his left. The only problem is you're dealing with 2A range.. which is not raph's comfort zone.

dunno why 4, 44B 4A arn't really mentioned.. as 4B is actually a decent poke while 44B basically forces people to overextend against you, even though 4A isn't that good by itself.. it makes it so that the other 2 previously mentioned moves connect more.

4A is trash i mention 6A but not really in detail

ill add 4B and 44B later

4A is trash i mention 6A but not really in detail

ill add 4B and 44B later

4A has one of the best tracking that he's got. If you're just using it for the evasion OR the tracking then you're using it in the wrong situation.... though most situations just stepping is better for evasion.. and for evasion he has safer (but less accurate options)

Good guide. Tiamat format makes it top tier :P

Perhaps add a combo/techtrap section since the combo section isn't that organized.

Good guide. Tiamat format makes it top tier :P

Perhaps add a combo/techtrap section since the combo section isn't that organized.

will do!

ill add that right away

altho raphs tech traps suck.....

I demand Web 2.0 format. Otherwise, pro.

EDIT: Also, contributions from other authors would help. Second opinions ftw.

Second Opinion comments:

Raph's lows are cute - keep in mind that with anything that is -2 - -8 (say, a low on hit) if the opp uses 2A, they will eat 44B (safe), as such, 44B is the shit, and the lows are a great setup for it.

When mentioning PrepK's uses for jumping 2As from prep, against characters with fast highs (Amy, Taki) think about using Prep A+B, since their fast moves are faster than 2A (but also high).

VE A is duckable on reaction (if the first hit is blocked) - this is why in higher level games VE K is preferred

Raph's Oki is terrible - however, try using it to set shit up...I play aggressively so I like ot run up and VE over them. Also, 66A+B hits unless they roll left.

4 is very important and needs to be added to your list. It isn't a poke, but is super useful against highs (Nightmare, Amy)

66A+B ROs backwards

I don't recommend ignoring the prep combo on Prep A ch...take at least SOME guaranteed damage (most will say take all of it, but we all know that I don't always do this)

Even on hit, the second hit of Prep K:K can whiff so get used to this. Also, at point blank range, Prep K:K can jump over the opp (if they are ducked).

7_8_9 K forces crouch on block, TJ, and is safe...feel free to use it now and then until you get used to it...safer, though slower version of 6K (7_8_9 K on block --> 4 will TC Amy's 6BB)

11B has a weird hitbox (to our advantage, actually) and will sometimes hit people that it clearly shouldn't

4A is trash - unless you are using it to interrupt a string. Although it tracks to his weak side, it is still - a lot (17, I think) so crazy unsafe

Also, just cause it wasn't mentioned in the OP, I need to state again 44B is awesome - learn to use it

I dunno about advocating prepK over prepA to beat 2A... i'd rather eat a lil trade- CH damage and get my 5 hit 3 combo as opposed to risk jumping over them and losing a battle of bt B+K cuz raph's is so crummy

and his best 2 kicks are 6K and 8K.

I dunno about advocating prepK over prepA to beat 2A... i'd rather eat a lil trade- CH damage and get my 5 hit 3 combo as opposed to risk jumping over them and losing a battle of bt B+K cuz raph's is so crummy

Agreed about using Prep K against 2A - it is possible, but not my favorite thing in the world

Also - 9K does more damage than 8K I think (other properties the same, you just jump forward), but 3K is also pretty useful, and I would also say 2K is just as good.

8K? Just because it forces full crouch on block?

For what it's worth, I use 1K sometimes, because it's hard to judge what level it'll hit at, knocks down, tracks to both sides, and places the opponent at good range for, say, 44B setups.

But 1K is slow and unsafe, while 9K is faster, TJ around the 7th frame, tracks a bit, does more damage than 1K, and forces crouch.

Not saying you shouldn't use either, just why 7_8_9 K is good (though I'm not sure it is any better than 2K or 3K, just has different uses)

How's Raphael's 4A trash?

-2 on hit and unsafe? True, that's lame, but it's still a good evasive maneuver at disadvantage. Amy's 4A may be better but that shouldn't make you discount this move on Raph's list just because it's inferior. 22 damage to boot, which isn't bad.

1B/1BB = Not AS HORRIBLE as some people make it out to be. It's pretty much a low poke used when the opponent has barely any life left as is. It's also a NCC, which you didn't mention.

6A is -2 on block, as well as a combo on CH(6A CH 2B), tracks to his left(strong side -_-...), pretty decent.

33B I used to strongly dislike, then I realized how useful it can be as a pressure tool and a ranged low. Technically unsafe but you're not going to get punished unless it whiffs. Really I don't whiff that much with it anymore, as it's only a problem on standing opponents who don't move around from my experience.

A+B, A is way more useful if you buffer a step first, I noticed I picked up quite a few CH opportunities and wakes(yes, hitting the opponent off the ground) when I stepped then instantly went A+B, A. Nice when your constantly 2Bing grounded opponents, if they get used to getting up fast step A+B, A may get them. Don't know if anyone else has experience with it but I'd like to hear.

RAPHAEL'S 4A IS COMPLETE GARBAGE

slow,high,unsafe,- frames on hit,low dmg

at -17 and high people can punish you way worse then the dmg this move does.........

how many shitty properties does it take to make you think its trash?

like i said though i mentioned 6A but not in detail

also 1B/1BB IS as horrible as people make it out to be

why use 1B when 1A and FC 3B have better frames and range?

33B isnt great either, lows that arent + on hit are only good for pressure online

using lows for pressure doesn't work offline

4A isn't completely trash, just shouldn't be used willy-nilly to stop step (or, ever, to stop step, really) but it can be used to interrupt some strings.

Also - A+B, A is decent. Safe, good gauge damage, and works more than it should because the low cannot be jumped as easily as it could be before.

i added A+BA to the guide in the original post..........

its in there........

it always has been..........

SEA A is imho horrible....
It's high AND it tracks only on the strong side
SEA B do tracks more on the weak side....and it's a mid and can be reprepped.

4A is great against some strings

AB the low B tracks on the weak side

44A on block turns the opponend on left side (if i remember well)

to wallsplat your opponent you could risk a 33K >____> it's unsafe as hell (you lose the pushback) but it can be used if your opponent block low and he could lose some frames to see if the :B: is coming, but really he has plenty of time to punish......

You could add to antistep moves 8A+B it is quite good against certain low range characters that press you and step.

I wouldn't say 4A is trash because Raph has moves that are worse than 4A =(

1B has a couple (and only a couple) advantages over 1A:

1) IIRC, 1A does not hit opponent simply lying on the ground
2) The 2nd B in 1BB can make the opponent hesistate the same way FC 3BB does
3) 1B is slightly faster
4) Crouch throws can't punish 1B

I think the guide should discuss 33K:B a bit because it only wallsplat/RO when you get the JF version.

Back