Windups Wondrous Works

WindupSkeleton

[14] Master
Because it's about damn time I finally made my own thread after all these very many years. And what better time to start than on my favourite holiday?

My design-style is mostly "simple but embellished". If the character concept comes off at a glance then I feel like I've done a good job. For the most part I like to have something that wouldn't look out of place in the main cast, as much as is possible.

Mostly I'll be using the first post to keep track of things so, especially because I have a lot of half-finished things or, characters that need a lot of work on them.

Comments/constructive criticism always welcome.

Last edited:
We'll start things off with a simple Mitsurugi edit that I posted back in the Mitsu thread:
20181030110238_1.jpg

Nothing especially fancy, but I like the kind of unarmoured Samurai look. Went with a vague watery theme. Not especially happy with the preview-pic and will probably go back and change it but for now it's good enough.

20181030110136_1.jpg

20181030110142_1.jpg

20181030110108_1.jpg

Next up my most recently finished character, Jinghuo!
20181031211444_1.jpg

No preview-pic or anything else for her since my controller is dying and I need to replace it. Pretty frustrating when it's disconnecting ever couple of minutes...

She was more or less an experiment in using bright colours originally before I eked out this design. I'll definitely edit some more pictures in when I'm less frustrated at my failing tech D:
20181031211452_1.jpg

I almost missed your thread, ill be lurking to see how things go. As of now, i think you have a potential winner with matador you shoud refine (maybe with matador hat, easily doable with turtle shell and robin hat), and some red thrown in the mix, bull horns whatever...then post here, because as much as i hate corrida, i really liked the idea...

I almost missed your thread, ill be lurking to see how things go. As of now, i think you have a potential winner with matador you shoud refine (maybe with matador hat, easily doable with turtle shell and robin hat), and some red thrown in the mix, bull horns whatever...then post here, because as much as i hate corrida, i really liked the idea...
Honestly I probably won't be toying with Arturo, he's just a means to an end. Back in V he had a modified tyrolean hat but I'm just not feeling it. Thanks though :D I have a lot of half finished stuff but it's gonna be slow going til I sort out a controller and take the time to edit up better pics etc.

We'll start things off with a simple Mitsurugi edit that I posted back in the Mitsu thread:
20181030110238_1.jpg

Nothing especially fancy, but I like the kind of unarmoured Samurai look. Went with a vague watery theme. Not especially happy with the preview-pic and will probably go back and change it but for now it's good enough.

20181030110136_1.jpg

20181030110142_1.jpg

20181030110108_1.jpg
Bellisimo!! He looks much better :D
Excellent friend, looking forward to what you have in store for us!

My "Spellweaver" Amy. I like the magic wand weapon a lot but I'm not really into magical girls so I decided to go down the more traditional mage/caster route instead. But still keep it cute.

e9d1fdf5777f7c8f2dcd3b88358887f1.png

50afda97e3257edc40231f080a508244.jpg

a51d74b9db1124f529361c62c4a41381.jpg

Royal Blue and gold is a favourite colour combo of mine, it manages to look elegant and mature without being demure, giving a more charming feel overall.

The oversized gem/ring thing was just made for fun, it can be whatever you want. It to be.

And of course the thumbnail:
43f9cf6eb57a856f1f102f6e340a9f8a.png

Not my favourite to be honest but it gets the point across and I'm fond of it.

She is cute as a button, this hair style+hat combo work. You combined different sets of equipement using only the center piece (damaged) from Amy.
The colors are appeasing, but, why not give her a matching facepaint (like the blue butterfly one) and maybe a few subtle patterns or stickers here and there.

I really dig the oversized ring, it is charming, for me it could be a piece of loot from a female ogre/giant you name it :) As it it, looks like a pearl, but consider using the gradient pattern to give it more pop...

Her name is Amygician by the way XD

Keep posting !

She is cute as a button, this hair style+hat combo work. You combined different sets of equipement using only the center piece (damaged) from Amy.
The colors are appeasing, but, why not give her a matching facepaint (like the blue butterfly one) and maybe a few subtle patterns or stickers here and there.

I really dig the oversized ring, it is charming, for me it could be a piece of loot from a female ogre/giant you name it :) As it it, looks like a pearl, but consider using the gradient pattern to give it more pop...

Her name is Amygician by the way XD

Keep posting !
There are subtle patterns actually ;) Maybe too subtle but the closer you get, the easier to see. And then you're dead :D
As for the facepaint, it's a nice idea but I just don't really like that kinda stuff much.

You're right though I did forget to properly pattern the charm, a quick fix though easily. Thanks for the feedback! <3

There are subtle patterns actually ;) Maybe too subtle but the closer you get, the easier to see. And then you're dead :D
As for the facepaint, it's a nice idea but I just don't really like that kinda stuff much.

You're right though I did forget to properly pattern the charm, a quick fix though easily. Thanks for the feedback! <3

And then you're dead (haha, good one)
Ah ok there was a pattern hum...well, if the pattern cannot be seen in-game, it's better to keep it subtle (color) but increase it's size so it is visible...at least that's what i usually do...

And then you're dead (haha, good one)
Ah ok there was a pattern hum...well, if the pattern cannot be seen in-game, it's better to keep it subtle (color) but increase it's size so it is visible...at least that's what i usually do...
Oh it can (look at the dress specifically) I guess it needs better lighting.

I see it now when i zoom, in this case it's maybe just too close to base color unless it's lighting as you say but a pattern should be visible in all stages. Btw no new stage with Amy is lazy as f..k :(

I see it now when i zoom, in this case it's maybe just too close to base color unless it's lighting as you say but a pattern should be visible in all stages. Btw no new stage with Amy is lazy as f..k :(
Nah I wanted the pattern to be barely visible, something you might notice but not necessarily. This time anyways. I think it looks mysterious idk :P And no new stage is a bit but then Tira didn't get one either so I think 2B was the exception and not the rule.

I really dig this look for Amy and I'm kinda of jealous I didn't think of it. I also like the subtle patterning it makes me think of something you wouldn't notice walking down the street but when your up close your like "oh that's a nice dress". The only reason 2B got a new stage is because she was a guest fighter so unless they do another guest I don't think we are getting new stages which sucks.

I really dig this look for Amy and I'm kinda of jealous I didn't think of it. I also like the subtle patterning it makes me think of something you wouldn't notice walking down the street but when your up close your like "oh that's a nice dress". The only reason 2B got a new stage is because she was a guest fighter so unless they do another guest I don't think we are getting new stages which sucks.
Thanks Wyld, kind words indeed! And yeah that's what I think for 2B getting a stage also. Cassandra is most likely going to share the same stage as Sophitia.

Back