Xiba Matchup Discussion

I'm really scared of how strong they made Maxi so I tested a bunch of stuff.I will state Maxi's move first and then what your reaction should be to it.

Vs.Maxi
CE (block) - 3BKK punish
6A (block) - 3kB punish all
AA (block) - 3kB punish all but low k (glitch)
44A (block) - 3kB punish
11A (hit) - free 6A
3A (block) - 3kB punish
Back fist blow (Giant punch that has a BE version) (block) - 3BKK punish
66B(block) - kkk
33B(block) - 3kB
Ravine Carve (sidestep mid non gb version) on block - 3kB
22B or 88B non gb (hit) - 6A or 6K (6K can be blocked but if maxi doesnt block after hit it beats all his follow ups)
The Second B after 4B can be Side Stepped by 4A (Probably only possible if they spam it on wake up so your ready)

Rem Usage
Can Gi RO. Example (Maxi 1B then A)
Can Gi first part of Dragons cross (his little elbow nudge) (AA a) You can gi the dragons cross after being hit by aa.
Gi dragons cross and K after being hit by 4bb. (fastest follow up is dragons cross)

RO (Maxi Attack)
Interrupt by 2A, 4B, or 44B

Hydra Talons (The Side step B after 1B) gives stun
On block - 3kB

Hi, not sure if this is a place for match up discussion or if I can ask the question I wanna ask here... but I'll try anyway. How is Xiba meant to deal with well exceuted close up pressure effectively..? I have issues with charcaters like natsu and Lexia in particular when they are in sometimes in 3A will get me out of trouble but I find when they are in they stay in. How do other xiba players space themselves until they feel it's a decent time to go on the offensive?

Hi, not sure if this is a place for match up discussion or if I can ask the question I wanna ask here... but I'll try anyway. How is Xiba meant to deal with well exceuted close up pressure effectively..? I have issues with charcaters like natsu and Lexia in particular when they are in sometimes in 3A will get me out of trouble but I find when they are in they stay in. How do other xiba players space themselves until they feel it's a decent time to go on the offensive?

I too have a lot of problems with close pressure, especially Maxi and Natsu. And my main competitors play them as primary characters. I can block all day, but many of their moves are safe when blocked and I don't know a good way to punish them.

Anyone have good ideas for this apprentice player? Should this topic go in its own thread?

I too have a lot of problems with close pressure, especially Maxi and Natsu. And my main competitors play them as primary characters. I can block all day, but many of their moves are safe when blocked and I don't know a good way to punish them.

Anyone have good ideas for this apprentice player? Should this topic go in its own thread?

I haven't played too many Maxi's, but for Natsu if they knock me down I like to wait and see if they go for the ground explosion right away. If they do, they'll automatically go for the throw as well (usually, just from my exp). I like to stay on the ground awhile and see what they do. The more experienced players while wait for you to move, get up, or do something before they go for the explosion > air grab. In that case... I duno what to do yet. XP Haven't played a really good Natsu yet. I also noticed they like to spam that A, A, B. I'm pretty sure you can block the B stabs so long as it isn't a counter-hit.

I think it'd be cool to see a match-up thread.

I haven't played too many Maxi's, but for Natsu if they knock me down I like to wait and see if they go for the ground explosion right away. If they do, they'll automatically go for the throw as well (usually, just from my exp). I like to stay on the ground awhile and see what they do. The more experienced players while wait for you to move, get up, or do something before they go for the explosion > air grab. In that case... I duno what to do yet. XP Haven't played a really good Natsu yet. I also noticed they like to spam that A, A, B. I'm pretty sure you can block the B stabs so long as it isn't a counter-hit.

I think it'd be cool to see a match-up thread.

So, if you're waiting on the ground and they go for it... what's your response? is AB fast enough?

My main concern is the constant barrage of quick hits. She also has some fast horizontals that make 4A very risky. She's even too fast to reliably use CE. The only thing I've thought of is to use GI, since I don't have the talent for JG. There's got to be a better way to cause a wiff or get in a counter-hit.

Maybe from this thread we could start building a Xiba matchup advice table... maybe add it to the wiki?

So, if you're waiting on the ground and they go for it... what's your response? is AB fast enough?

My main concern is the constant barrage of quick hits. She also has some fast horizontals that make 4A very risky. She's even too fast to reliably use CE. The only thing I've thought of is to use GI, since I don't have the talent for JG. There's got to be a better way to cause a wiff or get in a counter-hit.

Maybe from this thread we could start building a Xiba matchup advice table... maybe add it to the wiki?

If they go it, take the hit. If you're not hitting any buttons, you won't be launched. I'm still trying to find out what the best punish/reaction is from that point. The newer Natsu players with just try the air because they're used to getting the free launch, however a more advanced player might just wait and see what you do. If they know anything about Xiba, they should be expecting the A+B.

One thing I would practice against Natsu is how to punish her A A B. As soon as they hit B, she'll always do those 4-5 stabs (kinda like Xiba's 6 B+K). So I'd hit up the lab and see if you can GI in between those stabs. I wanna say that the last few hits of that A A B string won't combo unless it's a counter-hit. So you might try that. Of course JGing would be your best option XP. I'd just see if you could get the hang of it.

Also, what's Xiba's best follow up after a GI? I'd assume it's 6B. Also, is it considered a counter-hit after you do a successful GI?

I'm all for the match-up stuff. I'm having a tough time with Nightmare when he gets a knockdown.

Why is Xiba vs Astaroth so absolutely bullshit? His goddamn bull rush charge is unblockable, tracking, hits off the ground and can't be GIed. You're in range from the start of the match, and you can't sidestep it.

Unblockable? How is it unblockable and how can it not be GIed?
It's really easy to step as well.

If they go it, take the hit. If you're not hitting any buttons, you won't be launched. I'm still trying to find out what the best punish/reaction is from that point. The newer Natsu players with just try the air because they're used to getting the free launch, however a more advanced player might just wait and see what you do. If they know anything about Xiba, they should be expecting the A+B.

One thing I would practice against Natsu is how to punish her A A B. As soon as they hit B, she'll always do those 4-5 stabs (kinda like Xiba's 6 B+K). So I'd hit up the lab and see if you can GI in between those stabs. I wanna say that the last few hits of that A A B string won't combo unless it's a counter-hit. So you might try that. Of course JGing would be your best option XP. I'd just see if you could get the hang of it.

Also, what's Xiba's best follow up after a GI? I'd assume it's 6B. Also, is it considered a counter-hit after you do a successful GI?

I'm all for the match-up stuff. I'm having a tough time with Nightmare when he gets a knockdown.

If you can't punish them (e.g. after blocking a safe move); to simplify I do one of three follow-ups.

1. Wait for a Super.
2. Implement a mixup.
3. Attack their guard. Guard Bursts are easily attainable with Xiba.

Xiba's best follow-up after GI so far is 3BKK.

If you can't punish them (e.g. after blocking a safe move); to simplify I do one of three follow-ups.

1. Wait for a Super.
2. Implement a mixup.
3. Attack their guard. Guard Bursts are easily attainable with Xiba.

Xiba's best follow-up after GI so far is 3BKK.

Good to know on for the GI follow-up.

Why is Xiba vs Astaroth so absolutely bullshit? His goddamn bull rush charge is unblockable, tracking, hits off the ground and can't be GIed. You're in range from the start of the match, and you can't sidestep it.

Yeah that match up seems really bad for Xiba. It's not the bullrush that makes it hard though, it's that Astaroth just plays at mid range better than Xiba. You can't play a mid ranged game against astaroth as he just has better tools to control the mid range space. You have to play this match at a closer range and try to interrupt most of Astaroths slower mids with 2a, 2k, WRA and WRK.

Well, there's some good advice for Natsu, but I still can't get a more than a lucky hit in. It's hard enough to block her unpredictable attacks and a whole different problem of landing something through that blur.

As for Astaroth, I think I found a simple solution for his charge. Just dash back. He'll whiff and you can punish him with a quick counter. Only, watch out for his extended version... might need to block that right out.

Actually, at range I think Astaroth is a little easier to deal with. Much of his mid-game relies on body attacks, which given Xiba's staff, put him in more danger than yourself. The big problem is that you eventually back into a wall or ring edge.

I haven't seen this in the threads so I'll post it up just in case.

The 2nd attack from Pyrrha's :6::6::ba+b+k: is USELESS against Xiba after blocking the 1st attack.

You can see the start up of the BE on reaction and when you do utilize Xiba's 4A to evade the vertical guard break and punish for 25dmg. If they attempt this attack with your back to the edge of the ring you'll get a ringout instead.

Anyone have any advice against Pryyha? I can't do anything once this bitch gets in.

What I usually do is simply block her up close attacks(most of her up close attacks will destroy Xiba's, so attacking up close while at advantage or disadvantage is usually useless), and carefully await an opening to use his best up close attack IMO, 6B, which is safe on block. If she blocks it, she usually can hit you with a fast counterattack, which you can use as an opportunity to just guard or GI if you have meter. I get most Pyrrhas to back off me and carefully think out their attacks once they see I can do this. This is your opportunity to mix up 6B, and throw in 3A+B for a two-way mid/low option mixup. Once 3A+B hits, if they don't tech it, they will crumple to the ground, and you can followup with 6B during the crumple state for a free two hit combo.

If they aren't mashing out her quick attacks up close, you can then proceed to applying block pressure with 6B~K. Sometimes it's good to condition them to block the followup kick by doing this several times. This opens up an opportunity for a tick throw mixup by foregoing K after 6B. To really mess them up, you may even try doing Xiba's 44B+K unblockable, then cancel it with G, then go for his 1A sweep. A combination of these things will get the majority of Pyrrha's to back off of you, then you can continue to dominate the mid-long range playing field. Hope this helps. :)

Advice for Xiba vs Ivy?

Ivy is a tough one, but at least one consistent formula I've found can level the playing field. Most of Ivy's really good mid-to-long-range attacks are either high or mid, so the key is to use careful footsies. You have to respect her priority in the range game, but you also have to show her that you're not afraid to inch a little closer to her face either. This is what Ivy players want and don't want at the same time. What I mean by this is that they want you to constantly chase your tail to get in her face, but they don't want you to actually get in her face should you manage to avoid her good ranged attack. I understand she has her damaging throws, but Ivy players usually can only get these if they have psyched you out so much to the point where they think they can grab you for free, at least, that's my experience with really good Ivy players. Don't let them see you sweat. Inch your way in fast by doing a few quick sidesteps while keeping a close eye on her attacks. Even though her range attacks are great, many of them require a fair amount of startup and recovery. Use this to your advantage, I cannot stress this enough!

The time it takes for her to recover from her attacks should be used to safely inch your way closer. Once you have gotten to about mid range or so, use 6A, as it closes the distance nicely while dealing with most of her(or most other characters for that matter) sidestepping attempts to dodge and or attack. I've gotten much consistent success with this move. From mid range, this should safely help you establish getting in her face safely. Switch your 6B pokes and your 2K pokes, as these are really quick, effective, and safe pokes in Ivy's face. These pokes are used to condition the player into a guessing game, so they are thinking about how to deal with your pokes instead of establishing their own offense. This is where you really take control with B~:(B): to cancel into his GI stance, which from his stance leads to the B attack, which is a GREAT pressure move on block. If the attack hits, you can followup with 6B~K for a nice combo, which sets up all sorts of great followup options that would take me too long to explain here, but that's a good thing!

Don't forget to switch from his GI stance to K. This mixup is usually hard even for some of the strongest Ivy players to react to if your poke game is top notch. In short to sum it up, apply your footsies while keeping a close eye on her good ranged attacks, use her recovery on these attacks to inch closer, close the distance with 6A, use good 6B and 2K pokes while in her face, and apply a great pressure mixup game with B~:(B):. This should put you on the path to leveling the playing field! :)

if natsu doesn't knock me down, and keeps doing fast horizontal natural combos, how do I put some distance between me and her?

specifically things like her aa, kkk, kk2k, they are fast, and after block those strings, even if I am given advantage, I can't seem to do anything beside grab, 2a, 6b, and 2k because she can hit me before my aa even comes out. I don't seem to have fast moves to do after guarding close range attacks because even my natural combos like aa and bb takes time to come out compare to something like pyrrha's aa.

Back