Xiba Matchup Discussion

I'm going to give my own little list of Z.W.E.I.'s punishable moves. This is something I'll probably start doing with EVERY character to help ya'll out there, and I've comprised my own key for reference:

OB - On Block
PUN - Punishable with specific moves on standard guard (this is for moves you should only be practically punishing with standard guard, in which case there's no need to pointlessly make it slightly difficult by just guarding)
POWJG - Punishable only with Just Guard
PUNBOTH- Possible to punish with standard guard as well as just guard

Note: I am NOT including punishers for the BT attacks because it's usually rare unlikely you're even be dealing with BT attacks, so simply block accordingly if the situation arises. All these punishes are assuming that you've guarded or just guarded an attack at point-blank range, which is probably where you'll be blocking most of the time against a good rushdown Z.W.E.I. opponent. If guarded or just guarded from a farther range away, some of these punishers may not be applicable, so keep that in mind. Also, remember that if you successfully get a just guard with any of the POWJG moves, or even a successful guard for moves you can punish without just guarding, remember to attack as soon as THE VERY FIRST FRAME you can move after the just guard or standard guard to ensure that you get your punish. Remember, even if you're one frame off, it makes a difference. I also realize that I may not have every single punish available, and there may be errors where they shouldn't be. I took very special care to make sure this was error, free. If anyone spots anything, let me know, and I correct it. The punishes I have for most of these moves are going to be the key punishing moves you'll use in most situations.:-)

Punishable Z.W.E.I. moves:

Rangers's Machete (:6::A:, -14 OB, POWJG, punishers{2A, 3B~K~K, 6B, K, 2K, 6B+K - all the hits may not connect for 6B+K, so if you're going to use this punish, use it more as a move to stop your opponent's rhythm, or for setting up just guard setups, GI setups, or the CE setup, and this will apply pretty much anytime you see the move as a punish for future reference})

Aloft Revolver (:3::A::A:, -17, -4 OB respectively, POWJG - second hit, punishers{2A, 3A, 6B, K, 1K, 2K - The first hit of this attack is extremely unsafe on block, so your opponent will most likely be finishing this string to the second -4 OB hit to keep him safe more often than not. However, even the opponent finishes the string, it still has some openings you can expose. After blocking the 1st hit, you can crouch under the second high attack part, and punish with a WR K~K, which can also be BE'd. If you decide to remain standing after blocking the first attack, you can interrupt the second part with REM B+K stance to start some REM mixups.})

Changeup Spout (:1::A:, -20 OB, PUN, punisher{WR K~K - This low attack is extremely unsafe on block, and this is the only practical, good damage punish you should be using, and there's no need for just guarding this attack at all, unless you want to be flashly and build a little meter, which this move can also be BE'd for more damage.})

Armor Peeler (:4::A:, -16 OB, PUNBOTH, punisher{3A} POWJG for greater punish potential, punishers{2A, 3B~K~K, 6B+K})

Assault Position ( :4::(A):, +8 OB - This move is very safe and really isn't punishable if you stand and block the whole attack sequence with the wolf, BUT if you time it correctly, you may be able to use Xiba's sidepping Roundhouse Bo 4A to step the second wave of the attack with the wolf and knock Z.W.E.I. down, but this isn't practical. I've thoroughly tested this, and you have to delay using 4A just before the wolf hits, and more often than not, even if you successfully step the wolf, Z.W.E.I will be still safe enough to block the bo attack. A far better and practical punish and substitute in this situation is to simply block the first hit, then do B+K for Xiba's REM stance to setup REM combos and mixups. This has EXCEEDINGLY helped me out in Z.W.E.I. fights, so do not underestimate the importance of using this technique in this matchup! This isn't something you want sitting on the shelf, so take advantage!)

Terminal Dissever (:B::B:, -8, -6 OB, POWJG - second hit, punisher{K - You most likely won't find any practical use for just guard punishing this move, but if you come across some scrub online mashing this B attack, you'll able to easily see it coming and punish with just guard accordingly if you choose to do so.})

Trail Dissever (:(B):, +2 OB - Same deal with Assault Position, REM can interrupt the second incoming wolf attack if you block the first hit.)

Weakling Knocker (:3::B:, -16 OB, PUNBOTH, punishers{2A, 3A, 6B, K, 2K} POWJG for more damage potential, punish{3B~K~K})

Walnut Cracker (:2::B:, -12 OB, POWJG, punishers{2A, 3A})

Oaf Brainer (:1::B:, -13 OB, PUNBOTH, punisher{K} POWJG for greater punish potential, punishers{2A, 3A, 3B~K~K})

Flank Position (:1::(B):, +2 OB - If you block the wolf part of this attack, it is totally safe from any of your typical punishing moves, even on just guard. The key here is to simply block the first hit and then you can safely interrupt BEFORE the wolf hits you with REM and IMMEDIATELY go into REM mixups. IMO, you should preferably go for the REM B stun for a combo setup. Even if the opponent decides to charge the wolf, your opponent will still be in a bad position because the immediate transition into any of the REM setups will easily punish him. So you are still in a great position REGARDLESS of whether your opponent charges the wolf or not from this move!)

Kreuz Tactics (:1::(B)::(K): +2, -10 OB, POWJG - final kick hit, punishers{2A, 3A, K - You really shouldn't even have to be just guard punishing this attack with these moves since you can interrupt the wolf with REM before you should even have to concern yourself with dealing with the kick, but these punishers are available nonetheless if you don't manage to use REM, and you just guard the last attack on reaction})

Liver Gouge (:4::B:, -14 OB, PUNBOTH, punishers{2A, 3A, K} POWJG, punisher{3B~K~K})

Front High Kick (:K:, -7 OB, POWJG, punisher{K})

Hard Hitting Kick ( :6::K:, -12 OB, POWJG, punishers{2A, 3A, 3B~K~K, 6B+K})

Heel Bullet ( :3::K:, -7 OB, POWJG, punishers{2A, 3A, K})

Ankle Scrape ( :2::K:, -14 OB, PUN, punisher{FC K})

Coward Stump ( :1::K: -16 OB, PUNBOTH, punishers{2A, 3A, 6B, K, 1K} POWJG, punisher{3B~K~K})

Master Knocker (:4::K::B:, -18,-16 OB, PUNBOTH, punishers{2A, 3A, 6B, K, 1K} POWJG, punisher{3B~K~K})

Spinning Driver ( :A+B:, -16 OB, PUNBOTH, punisher{2K} POWJG, punishers{2A, 3A, 3B~K~K, 1K, 6B+K})

Freikugel Driver ( :4::A+B:, -24 OB, PUN, punisher{3B~K~K})

Poor Fish (:B+K:, -9 OB, POWJG, punishers{2A, 3A, K, 1K, 2K})

Pied Piper (:6::B+K:, +2 OB - Again, for this kind of attack with the wolf, block the first attack, then go into REM to GI the wolf for REM setups)

Pied Piper: Drive Off (:6::B+K::A:, +10 OB - For this version, if you just want to style on 'em and build meter, you can stick to blocking the first attack, just guard the second, and throwing in REM to stop the last part of the attack with the wolf just to add insult to injury. Or you could just play it safe and simple and block the first two attacks, then REM for the wolf part.)

Pied Piper: Snatch (:6::B+K::B:, +9 OB - For this version, you can simply block the first two hits, and interrupt the last hit with 2A, 3A, and K.)

Two-Handed Slicer (WR :A:, - 8 OB, POWJG, punishers{2A, 3A, 3B~K~K, 6B, K, 1K, 2K})

Bolt Driver ( WR :B:, -8 OB, POWJG, punishers{2A, 3A, 3B~K~K, 6B, K, 1K, 2K})

Liver Beater ( WR :K:, -8 OB, POWJG, punishers{2A, 3A, 3B~K~K, 6B, K, 1K, 2K})

Leaping Front Kick ( While Jumping :K:, -7 OB, POWJG, punishers{2A, 3A, 6B, K, 2K})

Tempest Bringer ( :6::(6): or :3::(3): or :9::(9): :A:, -9 OB, POWJG, punishers{2A, 3A, 6B, K, 2K})

Beast's Machete ( :2::(2): or :8::(8)::A:, -17 OB, PUNBOTH, punishers{6B, 2K} POWJG, punishers{2A, 3A, 3B~K~K, 1K, 6B+K})

Bush Reaper ( :4::(4): or :1::(1): or :9::(9)::A: -18 OB, PUN, punisher{WR K~K - BE for more damage})

Pile Ballista (:3::(3): or :9::9::B:, - 14 OB, PUNBOTH, punisher{K} POWJG, punishers{2A, 3A, 3B~K~K, 6B, K, 1K, 2K, 6B+K})

Anti-Safety Pin ( :2::(2): or :8::(8)::B::(B):, -16,-15 OB, - For this move, you can block the first attack and just guard the second attack for these punishers{2A, 3A, 3B~K~K, 6B, K, 1K, 2K, 6B+K}, but you can also make it a bit easier by simply blocking the first attack and using Roundhouse Bo 4A to easily step the second attack. If you can read the animation on this attack well, it's easy to do this on reaction.)

Blitzkrieg Deployment (:4::(4): or :1::(1): or :7::(7)::B:, +12 OB - An extremely good and safe move on block, but you shouldn't even have to block it at all. If your opponent tries to space you out with it from far range, you can easily step it. If he's crazy enough to do this move close range, you can easily punish on reaction with 3B~K~K or Shen Ba launcher 22 or 88B during the lengthy startup before the wolf even touches you.)

Sand Splash Kick (:6::(6): or :3::(3): or :9::(9)::K:, -9 OB, POWJG, punishers{2A, 3A, K, 2K)

Spinning Hook Kick (:2::(2): or :8::(8)::K:, -12 OB, POWJG, punishers{2A, 3A, 3B~K~K, 6B, K, 1K, 2K, 6B+K})

Shank Scrape (:1::(1): or :7::(7)::K:, -17 OB, PUN, punisher{WR K~K - Just like the Changeup Spout low attack, this low attack is also extremely unsafe on block, and this is the only practical, good damage punish you should be using, and there's no need for just guarding this attack at all, unless you want to be flashly and build a little meter, which this move can also be BE'd for more damage.})

Knuckle Drag Kick (:4::(4)::K:, -8OB, POWJG, punishers{2A, 3A, 3B~K~K, 6B, K, 1K, 2K})

Clan Vanargandr (:6::(6)::(A+B):, +15 OB - Another impressive and extremely safe Z.W.E.I. move, but can be stepped or quickstepped to the right easily if you see it coming, in which case you can setup a Shen Ba launcher.)

Passing Snipe (:6::(6)::B+K:, -24 OB, PUN, punisher{3B~K~K})

Aloft Knife (During Knife Fiend :A:, -14 OB - You shouldn't concern yourself with block punishing this attack. Instead, watch the animation on the Knife Fiend special movement and simply interrupt it with 2A, 3A, 6B, or K. These interrupt options will work just as well for Turbulent Knife :B: as well, which is also done during Knife Fiend. Even if you don't know which attack your opponent will do from Knife Fiend A or B, it doesn't matter. You don't have to know because the interrupt options work just as well for both attacks, which means you don't even have to know which one is coming and you can still safely use the same interrupt attacks, AN INVALUABLE TOOL!)

Turbulent Revolver (:3::aA+B+K:, -17, -16 OB, PUN, punisher{WR K~K - This BE move automatically puts your in a crouching position, but this actually works to your advantage since this BE attack is so unsafe on block, you can easily score great damage with this rising attack which can be BE'd for even more damage.})

Tempest Arise (:6::(6): or :3::(3): or :9::(9)::aA+B+K:, +30 OB - Yet again, like many of Z.W.E.I.'s other great on-block moves, simply block the first attack, then shift to REM stance to interrupt it to start REM mixups and/or REM B combos.)

And that's it for today. Not sure who I'll do tomorrow, but if enough people respond before then who they think I should do, I'll listen to the people. If I don't get any responses, I'll pick a random character of my choosing. I plan to add at least one of these per day until the whole cast is complete. I really hope this helps you all out as it's helped me. :-)
Thanks a lot for the detailed explaining. I'll have to go over this from time to time.

Mind explaining REM?
Oh my bad REM is Xiba's stance by pressing B+K then you can follow up with X, B, K, or just wait until you leave the stance anyway. The REM stance can Guard Impact (parry) some but not all moves of your opponent (I think its all Medium attacks, kicks, and lows)

Oh my bad REM is Xiba's stance by pressing B+K then you can follow up with X, B, K, or just wait until you leave the stance anyway. The REM stance can Guard Impact (parry) some but not all moves of your opponent (I think its all Medium attacks, kicks, and lows)
Horizontals and kicks that have horizontal-style animations. If it impacts you get a guaranteed REM B, which combos into 6BK > 2A+B_44K, or 6BK BE with meter. 6BK BE also rings out/wallsplats to the right.

use all of your good horizontals to keep her from stepping when she's mid range away. A/AA, 6A, 4A, 1A, 22AB, 44A(2nd A do it sparingly), wrA
when you see her doing random moves to mind game you from afar, 4B
when she's at mid-long range trying to close in, BB, 2B, kB,
3BK for countering big moves
when she's close, 3A, 2K, K, 6B, AA/6A(close range step killer),
try to read her pattern so you can either counter her with 3BK or step her vertical with 22B to the dick wack combo.

I apologize to everyone who may have been expecting a punishment guide for every character in the game, but I've had(and still do have) some personal issues to deal with that kept me from finishing up. I DO intend to, and WILL finish the list as soon as I can. I'll keep you guys updated! :-)

I'm having hard time with a C5 QB Pyrrha who uses rolling pin...When she 246B and pokes me, she will continue with a 6B launch. Before I can roll away or stand up, she repeats. Many a time beaten to death this way. Any good idea to deal with this kind of attack? Thanks!

I sincerely apologize for answering this so late. I haven't been able to focus on SC5, or any other game for that matter(personal stuff), but I hope this video is a visual aid to help you into dealing with Pyrrha when knocked down. I think it's better to show you in this instance. Keep in mind that this video is old(pre 1st patch), but many of the same principles still apply with the current version. This is a match I had with an excellent A1 Pyrrha player(he wasn't A1 at the time, but he is now):

Wow pretty much no activity in Xiba section these days. I'm not crazy about him myself either. Thought I'd share a random discovery.

vs ZWEI Xiba's REM agi pretty much all EIN attacks. With the exception of 1K BE, 44 B, CE, and 44 B+K. But horizontal vertical whatever for all other EIN attacks REM will counter.

Wow pretty much no activity in Xiba section these days. I'm not crazy about him myself either. Thought I'd share a random discovery.

vs ZWEI Xiba's REM agi pretty much all EIN attacks. With the exception of 1K BE, 44 B, CE, and 44 B+K. But horizontal vertical whatever for all other EIN attacks REM will counter.
It can also aGI some of Viola's crystal ball shenanigans... but I'm far too lazy to go through and figure them out.

It can also aGI some of Viola's crystal ball shenanigans... but I'm far too lazy to go through and figure them out.
For Viola it's far fewer attacks though. Mainly you get B+K, 2B+K, and 6B+K(when she doesn't have the orb). There are others like 4A+B and 6A+B that just seem less significant. With her orb return though for 6B+K and 2B+K if she uses any vertical move before the orb makes contact with you REM will fail which is somewhat of a problem. The best thing is if you kind of force her to block something and then use REM sometimes, if you feel the player has caught on to this fact. Although it's not something you just know or figure out in a match, something that specific you really have to study to find out.

Zwei is more brain dead. All that Ein stuff is agi'd by REM regardless of his follow up.

Wow! That is actually some helpful advice against those ZWEI players that spam their EIN pressure.

I noticed something odd. whenever raphael try to use 66B, my 4B will ALWAYS beat his. I thought it was because I was tech crouching, but 66B is a mid.

it's odd stuff man, I basically do 4B after raphael started his 66B frame already, but mine beats his like every single time. I bet that raphael player must be so mad for eating all that 4B. I was sure we would at least trade.

anyone what to do against close range mix up leixia? I can't do shit T_T. I have played against people who spam their way in front of my face. even though I can get some quick punish with 2A, 3A and K, it isn't enough to discourage them to back off. xiba's better punisher are only available for whiff punish because of longer start up.

what about hilde? got anything against her? I am getting outzoned by her both close and far.
I find that he only way to really beat Hilde is to know your opponents tendencies and make damn sure you know how to punish her off of any whiffs you may encounter. It is best not to let the Hilde decide how the spacing game is going. Keep the pressure up so that she has no time to pressure you.

Anyone have any advice for getting offense started against ivy?
Ivy is a character that is very hard to fight because she has answers for many things Xiba has. The trick with her is, make sure you get your opponent to play your game, and not theirs. Most Ivy players like to control a match to were they can make it seem like everything they get is free, but it really isn't. Don't get to frantic against her. Chill out, and choose your spots wisely. Don't get too far and don't get to close. Do this and the offense takes care of itself. Easier said than done I guess lol

so it seems to me xiba has problem against like at least half the cast in the game... what characters does he have good match up for?

any one longer range than him can zone him out
siegfried
nightmare
hilde
astaroth
ivy
algol? (projectile and back step killer)

any one faster than him can screw him up close.
leixia
natsu
pyrrha

his fastest punishers 2A, 3A, and K have no range vertically. 1K is i15, 3kB and 6B are both i16 . damn...

most of the time I end up just going into opponent's face and do 3(B) because it seems to be the best bet I could get the most chance of high damage.

Honestly, Xiba isn't a character that can really truly "handle" the rest of the cast. It is really about knowing your opponents strategy and using a game mechanic that every character has like jumping, stepping, etc. to succeed with Xiba.

Back