Yoda match-up thread

RiBu

Mitsu-Fucking-Rugi
Ok this will probably be a long work in progress until I can get some serious good anti character strats up overall. . .

The Apprentice/Starkiller/Garen Malek/Dude with Powah Wave/etc.-
4-6 SK

Once you've done any damage you can use the A+K flip series to stay away. At long range 236B can keep Yoda away as he can sidestep it, and has to low block every time.Up close BB and 3K are very hard to deal with.

Thing Yoda has going for him?
Well he can't be grabbed, and 3B whiffs on him sometimes. Yoda can actually track SK pretty well with force cancels and the 44A+B kick animation.SK's combos are much harder to pull off on Yoda so that's a big advantage.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Yoda vs. Algol
2-8 Algol
Pretty fucking horrible match-up, but not as bad as SK.Algol outranges you to all day long, and no you will never be doing more damage than him except off of a 44AB combo. Algol can keep you at 1B and BB range all day if he wants to. .

Things yoda has:
Can't be grabbed.He can roll under bubbles that aren't FC A+B or 2A+B.Yoda does semi-not OH MY FUCKING GOD HELP ME at close range, but it's not really gonna matter as Algols' 1A,BB,1B, and really even his 6B+K are going to keep you away pretty much the whole match.
One more thing:
Post patch Algol loses the chance to do anything more than 70 damage on yoda. Bubbles whiff on yoda, and as far as i can tell aB,11B magically doesn't combo if he techs.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Yoda vs. Nightmare
4-6 NM wins(might actually be 5-5, need to look more into moves whiffing on Yoda)
What gives NM the edge in this is simply speed and Yoda's low Soul Gauge. NM's GS KK whiffs on Yoda.all of NM's highs whiff so DSS bA, agA, etc. are all useless on yoda. However NM's A+B is great on yoda. Even A+K gets stuffed out by it at distance, as well as most of yoda's other moves such as 2A,1B,etc.

What Yoda has going for him:
Can't be grabbed, so FC B+G_A+G is out. Most of NM's combos whiff on yoda.Yoda can roll under most of NM's mids and highs with with 236[K].
This is a match-up i think that could end up going as a tie since as far as I can tell NM doesn't have an "anti-Yoda move" so to speak. Nor does NM really have anything speed wise yoda can't get past with A+K, 236[K]

6K whiffs on Yoda when he runs, or does the 236[K], or does 6A+K(but that's should be a given)

3B is a bitch at tip range since yoda is forced to used 6B/A+K on block. Up close it's not so bad, and if you GI it he can get a 50+ follow-up. Right now im looking at A+BB for post GI. . .

I don't think 66K is that big a threat since GS follow-ups don't have that big an effect on standing yoda lol. GS A whiffs, and GS KK whiffs. GS A+B might be problematic.

66B doesn't work to right on Yoda. combos drop easier on him, and the 66B,33B combo is far more difficult on him than other characters. On start-up 6B beats it clean, but i'm trying to remember set-ups for it.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Yoda vs. Rapheal:
6-4 Yoda wins
This is probably Yoda's second best match-up next to Rock.

what yoda has going for him:
Raph can't do much outside of poking Yoda and running away. Most of his highs whiff at random distances,and Stance moves aren't usefull because they either whiff(Prep K:K), Through Raph way off axis(VE BB), or Yoda can beat them out with a well time 6B/A+K(SEA B)

The main moves to look out for in this match-up are Raph's 4B and 3B. At close range 3B is going to be a hard move to beat out,even when spammed outside of Yoda's AA. At mid to long range 4B can beat out the majority of Yoda's moves.Outside of these Raph doesn't do much damage to yoda, and really can't keep pressuring him with Prep stance shit. Note: After anything that leads to prep with Raph, a good yoda tatic would be to go into 6A+K. This makes yoda extremely low to the ground, and unlock 236[K] wont throw Yoda off axis in this situation.This save Yoda from having to worry about Prep BBB:B on block or Prep A. PRep K can be beat with just AA/BB

Yoda vs. Rock:
8-2 Yoda wins

This is the saddest match-up in the game imo. Seriously, Rock can do slow ass pokes. . and that's it.236[K] To go under like 2/3 of his move list, and A+K to beat out his lows.Otherwise look out for 3B and 6K. At mid range 44A is you're main concern, but only if you don't roll/run in. On your rush down watch out for 66K mostly, and 1A can be a problem if you aren't A+K'ing properly.

That's really it. This match is just sad.

I'll probably re-work these as some match-ups actually seem somewhat better. . . however:
Yoda vs. Zasalamel. . .
.5-9.5

1AB with Zas ends a round. 66BB is pretty bad, but 1AB is the finisher. Once it hits yoda, he can't escape. He can't roll fast enough to escape it, and even once he gets up he'll get hit over and over and over and over again.

Yoda:
Can;t be thrown, and 6B can interrupt a 66BB,66BB spam. Otherwise there's nothing to even consider. . .

I had a lot of trouble this weekend fighting against Rock with Yoda. Rock has a shoulder tackle (crouching 3K, I think), that seemed to completely lock me down. Not really punishable, and Yoda's too slow to 8WR. Do you have any suggestions for getting out of this?

I had a lot of trouble this weekend fighting against Rock with Yoda. Rock has a shoulder tackle (crouching 3K, I think), that seemed to completely lock me down. Not really punishable, and Yoda's too slow to 8WR. Do you have any suggestions for getting out of this?

depends mostly on the distance imo.

Mid to long range i think his UB would actually be a good option.He flies over the move and should hit Rock during the whiff. I'll test it more. Even if Yoda misses he puts Rock at a distance and BT so he's more or less safe.Up close I'd say go for a grab if you block it. the move is -9 on block so even if the Rock play goes to attack or step your grab should beat out most moves except lows or anything that crouches.IF after block they go into anything crouch wise A+K should beat it out.

Edit:
Also if you do 6B immediately after and they go into crouch Yoda is safe on the ground and the move whiffs right over.

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize that it had that much of a disadvantage on block. It was really frustrating to see my entire game taken away by one move.

Not so much a real update just some note on some match-ups. . .

Vs.Lizardman:
-WR KKK doesn't combo on Yoda-yay.
-3B doesn't launch high enough for juggles.
-11B launches really messed up so you can get a 33A+B for 60.
-Crawl B sometimes puts you behind Yoda depending on range.
-66B+KBAB doesn't hit and throws Lizardman off axis.
-Lizardman's 66A+B breaks gauge in 7 hits. Hard for Yoda to step or avoid.
-4[B+K]whiffs while 4B+K doesn't.
-Yoda's A+K beats Crawl stance pretty clean. . .

Vs.Astaroth:
-66K is incredibly dangerous to Yoda. . you aren't going to step it.Breaks in 10 hits.
-44B/44 can shut Yoda down for a round. 6B beats it however. Seems to make a Tech trap on him that can do about 108 damage.
-22_88B breaks Yoda's gauge in 7 hits, very hard for him to avoid this move.
-1[A]A/1[A]B work way better on Yoda since he's pushed to far back on block to counter and it does a lot of Soul Gauge damage.
-A+B can keep Yoda away as well.
-Yoda can't be grabbed so Asta loses any offense based on grabs. . .
-Yoda Roll is risky since he's open to 44B during the roll and if he gets hit by this it's usually the round.

vs. Vader:
-66A/66A+K will hit yoda while he's at neutral, but not blocking or stepping.
-4A+B will break you out of YRC moves.
-4A+B ground lift works on yoda, no real follow-ups to this though. . .
-1A+B UB will trade with fully charged Yoda Roll. Hard for yoda to step.
-2A+B beats out a lot of Yoda's moves.
-11B breaks in 6 hits.
-Yoda can't be grabbed
-Yoda is immune to a lot of Vader's ground game since 4A+B is never a real threat.

vs. Angol Fear:
-BBB breaks in 5
-6BB breaks in 5.
-44B breaks in 6.Hard for him to step this.6B can beat out but if it whiffs he will take the hit, but it won't launch.
-66A+B breaks in 5 hits. As will 44A+B.
-Most of her moves break Yoda's gauge in the 6-9 range: AAB,6BA,3B,3bK,11B,6A+B,2A+B,4A+BAB,4B+K,33KB,44K.

Yoda can Force Parry between Angol's attacks. Seong's BBB} the last B can be FP'd, and her 6BB} again the last B can be FP'd... hmmmmmmmmm, there should be a thread for this! (just like Mi-Na's)

Yoda can Force Parry between Angol's attacks. Seong's BBB] the last B can be FP'd, and her 6BB} again the last B can be FP'd... hmmmmmmmmm, there should be a thread for this! (just like Mi-Na's)

Force Parry consumes quite a bit of force plus the additional force for the A+B lift, a better option would be to GI and followup with something, Grab, 6B, or any other post GI options (Not much)

I believe his Force Parry does Soul Damage, and the gauranteed ~46 damage (from 6B)/ 6A+K (mixup) is nice...
I aslo think the Force Parry has longer impact frames: Easier than GI'ing between attacks on defense...
(BTW, There's nothing like Force Parrying Asta's 44 unblockable...)

On a different note, Asta's 66K doesn't threaten Yoda as badly now... I rolled under it with 236[K]... you can roll under most of Asta's attacks, most of the time you'll roll past him or he just can't hit you... his 4B_ seems the most dangerous...

I believe his Force Parry does Soul Damage, and the gauranteed ~46 damage (from 6B)/ 6A+K (mixup) is nice...
I aslo think the Force Parry has longer impact frames: Easier than GI'ing between attacks on defense...
(BTW, There's nothing like Force Parrying Asta's 44 unblockable...)

On a different note, Asta's 66K doesn't threaten Yoda as badly now... I rolled under it with 236[K]... you can roll under most of Asta's attacks, most of the time you'll roll past him or he just can't hit you... his 4B_ seems the most dangerous...

44B is easily steppable

And NOOOO his Force Parry has a longer window but, on early it, it knocks the opponent back with no advantage for either person leaving both at neutral, and it uses alot of force runs down the Force Count like crazy so if you whiff you lose all the force plus you they get counter hits

Worst match-ups:
imo

SK,Sophy,Voldo,Astaroth,Mi-Na. . .

Sophy/Mi-Na can break his gauge incredibly fast
SK can run away the entire game and space with POWAH WAVE. .
Voldo Can break his gauge the fastest of anyone in the game. . .
Asta's 44B,22_88B can keep Yoda away a big chunk of the match and hurt is gauge hard. 66K beats out most of his moves from what I've seen anyways. . .

I'd have more but my 360 broke. . .

Lol his tools get limited, Rock is a throw heavy character, he can't throw yoda at all thus practically ruining rock

You'd actually be surprised. I've fought three Rock players with Yoda, and I only won against one, and that was because I got two ring outs at Seesaw. Rock's range and soul gauge damage can really put some pressure on Yoda. imo, it's a pretty even matchup.

I've never found Rock to be a problem. Parrying with Yoda (1G mainly) will recover your soul gauge, so it's usually best to use that often against those who try to win by Critical Finish.

Any tips for the Mitsurugi match-up?
Mitsurugi works amazing against Yoda. Half of Mitsurugi's combos still work on Yoda. Mitsurugi is my character of choice against Yoda and I haven't lost with him at all to Yoda players. Mitsurugi is definitely one of the best counter picks for Yoda.

Mitsurugi works amazing against Yoda. Half of Mitsurugi's combos still work on Yoda. Mitsurugi is my character of choice against Yoda and I haven't lost with him at all to Yoda players. Mitsurugi is definitely one of the best counter picks for Yoda.

Yea he's good vs yoda the BB spam vs him is good, except for the fact that Yoda can B+K or 3G almost everything.

Yea he's good vs yoda the BB spam vs him is good, except for the fact that Yoda can B+K or 3G almost everything.

What about 66BB and 66A+B spam? Mitsurugi has a lot of stuff that does really good soul gauge damage that Yoda can't sidestep. Most people don't have the reaction time to impact these attacks on reaction, and Mitsurugi can cancel the 66A+B if the Yoda tries to impact it. Mist 6 Relic [A] Mist 6BB is all normalhit combo on Yoda, even without special timing or a wall. Mitsurugi's reverse ringout combo, 3B 44AA, still works on Yoda. Misturugi has a lot of natural combos that still work on Yoda, such as 4KB and 66BB. A lot of his tech traps still work also, such as 1A 66BB, and Relic B 1A. Also, if 2A+B hits Yoda during a jumping attack or a throw, it will perform a groundstun on the Yoda, and he can combo off of the stun with 33B and 44B Mist 6BB. B6 still hits Yoda, and if Mitsurugi gets the counterhit stun with it, he can still combo with 33B.

/edit/ Mist KB is also a combo on Yoda, and Mist BKB also combos on counterhit.

Back