Yoshi Gameplay Videos

Hey is it really essential to get down yoshi's Jf4AAAAA and parting thrust in order for him to do well in tournaments? I can understand parting thrust.....but what about JF4AAAAA?

Very nice, me like! Nice pressure, oki and JGs there, how on earth did you JG and crouch an AA at the same time, that was so fast. I think I only saw one missed a:B+K, really awesome execution! In fact, it's amazing how you can do JF FC 1KKKKK so perfectly but miss JF 4AAAAA, maybe that messed up your timing? Interestingly I didn't see as much iFC 3K spam as I had expected. There was a few times you could have finished a DNK with a guaranteed 3B and not 2K though, like after 214A/66B, or were you just trying to get into crouch? Can't believe how much Salmon was eating 3AB BE lol. Anyway it was really enjoyable to watch, well done and congratulations on winning! :)

Gotta love how Aris kept thinking deathcopter and 236B are the same thing and wondering how the fuck it got tech-ed out of haha. Wonder what would it'll be like if NFK had played to the final, would have liked to watch you against him. The attendance was kind of sad though. SCV really needs more hype than this

@Justin JF 4AAAAA isn't essential, but considering the lack of mid-range horizontals Yoshi has and the RO potential of the move, it's really worth learning.

Hey is it really essential to get down yoshi's Jf4AAAAA and parting thrust in order for him to do well in tournaments? I can understand parting thrust.....but what about JF4AAAAA?

It's actually really good. Just imagine getting that off with luck of recovering and then doing ear slicer near a wall. It's really worth a risk. Then again, sometimes you gotta risk it with Yoshi. Even if you don't recover, it naturally relaunches and you have enough time to get up and try again imho haha.

It's actually really good. Just imagine getting that off with luck of recovering and then doing ear slicer near a wall. It's really worth a risk. Then again, sometimes you gotta risk it with Yoshi. Even if you don't recover, it naturally relaunches and you have enough time to get up and try again imho haha.
heh I see, yeah Im a bit rusty with yoshi. Been using zwei alot, but I plan to pratice with him soon and get down...JF4AAAAA yipeeee....

Very nice, me like! Nice pressure, oki and JGs there, how on earth did you JG and crouch an AA at the same time, that was so fast. I think I only saw one missed a:B+K, really awesome execution! In fact, it's amazing how you can do JF FC 1KKKKK so perfectly but miss JF 4AAAAA, maybe that messed up your timing? Interestingly I didn't see as much iFC 3K spam as I had expected. There was a few times you could have finished a DNK with a guaranteed 3B and not 2K though, like after 214A/66B, or were you just trying to get into crouch? Can't believe how much Salmon was eating 3AB BE lol. Anyway it was really enjoyable to watch, well done and congratulations on winning! :)

Gotta love how Aris kept thinking deathcopter and 236B are the same thing and wondering how the fuck it got tech-ed out of haha. Wonder what would it'll be like if NFK had played to the final, would have liked to watch you against him. The attendance was kind of sad though. SCV really needs more hype than this

@Justin JF 4AAAAA isn't essential, but considering the lack of mid-range horizontals Yoshi has and the RO potential of the move, it's really worth learning.

Yeah... couple notes
-it'd probably be better to get a critique on matches I actually lose, even though my play wasn't anywhere near perfect.

-just throwing out 3A delay BE randomly gets a lot of people. Even if gets blocked, it's rarely JG'd, stepped or block punished except by people who know the matchup. Once they start to fear it or wait for the delay buffer period to end, 3A into MCF becomes a setup, or 3A becomes a free attempt at CH/step catch. Especially by the edge, just go for it. It's a tracking, launcher with an easy CH confirm (doable even online).

-I can actually do all the JF series, especially the 4A series very consistently on CRT TVs, but this tournament uses ASUS monitors (same ones used at EVO). The tiny bit of lag messes me up, maybe the "Practice With Frame Delay" option on my CRT at home would help? Many times I would have had a ringout over the low walls in my matches at the dark pirate ship stage.

-my only missed a:B+K was a pretty bad fuckup as Aris mentioned :( I lost that round because of it. Parting thrust is essential to get 100%.

-I tend to forget which DNKs end in which move when I'm caught in the moment. Is there a pattern to it?

What are people using to record the videos? Am I right in thinking that the PS3 lets you upload replays straight to youtube (I have a xbox myself)?

I was wondering whether if I uploaded some videos of my ultra-scrub level yoshi play (this is the first sc5 I've tried to learn how to play properly rather than just messing around with my friends) people would have any time/interest at all in helping me improve, and whether this would be the thread for it. At the moment I know I'm terrible but I don't really know what to do to get better.

I've literally just finished try this for about an hour straight. This is not true, I've even tried the exact way seen in the video, and I get regular UB KND.

Attepmting both variants, neither FLE 6A+B~B+K b, a: B+K, 8_9A+Bg (ie. video example) or your variant (without Parting Thrust) gave me that same property shown in the match.

It happened to me once, I believe against Lizardman.. but then again there's so many quirks within that matchup, who knows? I also wonder how long ago this match was, pre/post patch 1.03?

It happens after two tech traps in a row ;)

LOL the second ub just goes hits them without knockdown...

I used to know how to recreate the scenario but Ive forgotten I just know it is after a tech trap

heres a way to recreate...

do 8A+Bg, then delay 3B tech trap then a:B+K then 8A+B,g it should do it.

Nice! More videos would be awesome rddk, I always watch yours like 20 times... good inspiration for stuff to do that isn't just 100% DGF mixups on wakeup, which is where my play is at.

That ring out in the 2nd round is the weirdest thing, totally didn't think there was a chance for a ring out there. He also wasn't learning at all about the iMCF on 22_88K block, and I can't remember the last time I saw someone eat the second hit of the 66A BE.... dunno if he was going for JG or sth.

Spent ages trying to get JF4A down, but it just won't stick. I get periods in training where I can do a few in a row, but only "raw"; if I put 3B in front of it, my timing goes again, and outside of training mode I just mash it too fast... adrenaline I guess.

Nice consistency rddk! The pyrrha was completely oblivious to the matchup lol.

^JF 4A rings out pretty far and high pretty much everywhere. It floats the guy out of the ring even with high walls like Pat/Ivy's stage. 3B 2x JF 4AAAAA on most stages' start position- Pat, Yoshi, Sieg, LX, Maxi, Cerv, Ivy stage etc. is enough to ring everyone out if you're lucky to recover after the first.

On wakeup, experienced players in singapore like ShenYuan/Chan lie on the ground vs me a lot to avoid the DGF mixup altogether, so at high level it isn't as formidable (though still scary nonetheless). They'll just roll or play dead and are willing to suck up the 3B/1KKKKK which is less painful than eating either DGF combos on oki.

I meant the round that rddk got rung out (ringed out?). It just looks like the least likely ring out ever.

thx guys!! :)
Most of my opponents don't know the matchup, that's why Yoshimitsu seems so powerful... Actually I'm not really good.

juz said:
Nice! More videos would be awesome rddk,
Thx again,
If you like my style.. here another vid. I made ​​many mistakes but it doesn't really matter..

I lol'd....poor Yoshi.

It'd be nice if SDGF would let you just avoid that particular CE, but that's just wishful thinking. []

At the right angle and height, if Yoshi does moonsault slayer 236B with the orb between him and Viola, he'll spinspinspin and slay Viola from fullscreen!

Still trying to get better I haven't played Yoshi until SCV...just barely in SCIV. I play him on 2 accts but Dezert-Dragon will be my main from now on. First vid is early on where I didn't know many moves and the 2nd one is from last night. I use 236A too much but I love how it will dodge attacks and attack at the same time. Need to learn his various stances too...guess I play him more straight up. Any tips would be appreciated :D

Not sure the random CEs are a good idea.... especially from range. I can't really work out why she gets hit by it in the last round.. maybe she didn't know to block low?

Yea sometimes it works if i anticipate my opponent being aggressive but it's usually a bad idea vs Natsu since she's airborne a lot of the time.

Okay not using Yoshi JFs like iMCF aside (which are very important and please learn them if you want to get better), you're right, play more stance game. Against the level of opponents you're fighting against, just go into your DGF (dragonfly) mixup. DGF K doorknocker combo or DGF B 3B 6K combo at your level can kill things, those guys in your vids will definitely ukemi into the low/mid mixup anyway. The first guy loves crouching on instinct (?), just eat him with DGF B. You can always 8B+K into SDGF B unblockable anyway, which is pretty much unreactable to for these online guys. Or stay in SDGF for a split second and force them to consider a step and throw out SDGF A. Yoshi stances = scrub hell, especially on okizeme. They don't work nearly as much at higher level, but they are always useful. Not many people know how to deal with just flea-hopping too, lol.

Use more meter, his BEs are not the best but if you learn iMCF and RCC, 66A BE on CH becomes a lot more damaging if you anticipate a backdash/step. No iMCF? 66A+B follow-up works for decent damage too. People who don't play against Yoshi much also love to eat delayed 3AB BE. Anyway his best meter usage is GI->CE, so throw out them GIs, they are worth it.

Don't rely on 9B+KK too much, the second hit can always be ukemi-ed as you can see for yourself in your vids. Throw it out once in a while and maybe cancel into DGF or something. Best guaranteed ender for 214A and DGF K is always DNK 3B, or 66A+B if opponent has "reverse rage" due to little hp left. FC 3K>9B+K is not a combo, FC 2K/2B/RCC 3B after FC 3K is. On SDGF, you also seem to always use 2B+K which isn't always the best option - SDGF B or A is straightforward and a lot harder to react to.

214A is a great move, and less skilled players eat it all day for free. But try not to simply 214A on neutral when your opponent has a hell long time to see it coming cos at -17 frames on block, it is pretty punishable. Use it as a tech trap, step killer or as a TC/step evade e.g. during Natsu's 66B BE second hit.

Play more safe pokes, sure, stuff like 6K can get you big damage, but they are unsafe on block. 6B, BB, 3K, AA are all good and very underused. Yoshi also has a number of frame traps that he can utilize as well e.g. 22K, 4B, FLE , iMCF X2 (higher level) etc etc.

Learn iFC 3K. Most useful move in Yoshi's arsenal IMO, considering he doesn't have many midrange step killers, it cannot be blocked on reaction if done correctly, is pretty damn far compared to the rest of his weapons which have pretty shit range mostly, is horizontal and is a goddamn low. While crouching, his FC 3K and 4KB mixup can be quite a mindfuck. Launch punishable on block though, don't overspam or get predictable with it.

Last CE hit was on counterhit. Random CE works if your opponent loves pressing buttons, which happens all too often online. Wakeup CE is ridiculously successful online against less experienced players. Expect a launch if the CE is blocked though, which is why GI->CE or combo into CE is still the best option. Anyway keep practicing Yoshi, first get used to all his stances and make people fear your mixups at close range, ditch habits like neutral 214A and make sure common combos like MED K->8A connect (you missed it in one of your vids), learn iFC 3K, then move on to his important JFs (iMCF, a:B+K) to bring your game to the next level if you intend to stick with him, learn RCC, and then when and how to punish with what moves, wall combos, how to fight against step, advanced JFs like MED A+B :K :K, SDGF K:K, JF 4AAAAA etc. Long way to go, good luck with the journey ahead :)

Hey frostheart or anyone else=o Does yoshi's 44A on hit leads to an unblockable trap? with maybe 8A+B or 236B? I had 8A+B connect plenty of times before

Back