Yoshi Top Ten Moves

docvizzo

[14] Master
Dont take the order to serious:

1. 1A series

This move is pure madness. Mid, FULL tracking, i12, Tech Crouch, hits jumpers, tracks backwards (cant jump over it), pseude blockstun since you can vary the amount of spins. Insane ch damage for such a move, think 60ish. Leaves you in FC for a WS K, FC3K, throw mixup. Crazy, crazy move.

2. FC 3K

Like always, number one low. Excellent range, speed and KND. Pretty unsafe though.

3. Suicide

FUCK.THIS.MOVE. Suicide in SC2 hits the opponent 1 frame before it does Yoshi. So everytime you have your opponent below 50% life its Suicide time. It is quite hard to step, allows for absolutely insane comebacks. You can set it up after GI etc, but not after 4G.

4. 6B, 6B2, 6B8

These pokes are madness. The range and speed will make your opponent go nuts, absolutely nutty priority. Nice tracking, very fast recovery. Its like Mitsus pokes in SC5 but even more annoying to deal with.

4. 66B series

Mid, good damage etc, you know the move from the other games.

5. AA

Super fast i11 AA, good range. Single A gives +7 on hit, zero on block.

6. 3B + charged 3B

Yoshis standard launcher, shit is safe-ish, only -10 to -11. on ch or the charged one give insane damage with the 4B[K] followup.

7. 8K

Yoshis number one jumping move. Comes very handy in this game since jumping is quite common. On an aired opponent it gives a free 66A+B or 1B chargerd combo due to a ground stun.

8. WS K

Safe launcher from FC, number one mixup together with FC3K.

9. THROWS

Fucking 214A+B. Such a small break window, amazing throw.

10. 9B+K into SCC

This is a hard one, but good to hit grounded opponents into a SCC mixup.

Noteworthy:

TC, crazy damage with BT K, 8K, 66A+B followup. Best answer if you have a read on your opponent and expect a high or throw. Unsafe on block though.

DISCUUUUUSS. Yoshi is insanely fun to play, just picked him up though.

Welcome to the club man! Yoshi's da bomb in SC2. Other noteworty moves include imo:

44B+K + cancels

Tracks 100%, even if opponent gets behind Yoshi, he will just turn around and get him. Can be cancelled normally or into FLE or MED.

FLE (A+B)6

Pretty good finisher, good damage, good range. Transition into FLE is seeable of course but still pretty good. Punishable ON HIT though.

11BA

TC mid followed by an anti-step high. Fast, good range, gives nice advantage on hit.

WL K

Yeah bitches, WL moves are back. Just a good TJ move, good damage, safe.

Also, for some reason, 1K makes certain opponent moves whiff (happened to me several times against Yoshi's 1A on close range). Seems his hitbox moves.

BTW i thought also about 6A but then realized single A is the better 6A. We need to use more A pokes i guess.

Fast (i9 I think) and good interrupt but nothing else. No effect on CH. Input is 2bA.

Oh, how did we forget this:

4B+K into 1B+K

Sick evasion move, pretty useful on wake up. Stuns on CH and gives free 3B. 0~+1 on block.
Input is 4(B+K)~1 btw. 4B+K into 3B+K is possible in the same way.

Sick range, mid, safe (I think), RO from far away, TJ.

Last edited:
66K is actually unsafe, its -13. You punished me so often today...

Also small addon: 1K is unsafe but has huge pushback, so pretty safe in most situations.

iMCF is pretty shit when compared to SC3,4 or 5. its fast but thats it.

Also noteworthy: 4A:2A. I cant pull it off yet but Furzy did it plenty of times today, so fucking annoying. After 4A spin you can do an instant BT 2A, which hits low and is i10 plus advantage as usual in this game.

Actually when i think about it Yoshi plays like Amy from Sc4.

docvizzo: I'm pretty sure BT 2A is an i7, if I remember my old Yoshi frame data. 4A into any BT mixups are awesome. 4A:BT 2A or BT 2B into godly FC mixups. BT 2A is definitely on any Yoshi top 10 list I'd make.

WS A is a really important move, because it's the only thing you've really got to discourage people from stepping right against your FC mixups.

Also, nobody mentioned MD A+B K series yet. MD is nuts in this game because of the quick pace of life gain. Forces them to come at you, and MD A+B K is a natural combo into ~60% damage. You can do MD A+B K, BT K, 9K, 66A+B. The 9K can be AC'd if the opponent knows exactly which direction to move, but most people trying to AC normally will get caught. Once opponents figure it out, you can do MD A+B K, [G]~9K, 66A+B for only a slight loss on damage. The notation for [G]~9K just means to hold G until the second you turn around, then immediately input 9K.

SCII Yoshi is possibly my favourite iteration of any FG character from any game.

I havent had the issue of having troubles with steps when im in FC. FC3K catches step quite well, or you can RCC into 1AAA etc. WS A damage is a bit meh to be in top 10 imo :)

You are right bout the rest, post liked.

I havent had the issue of having troubles with steps when im in FC. FC3K catches step quite well, or you can RCC into 1AAA etc. WS A damage is a bit meh to be in top 10 imo :)

You are right bout the rest, post liked.
Yeah WS A damage isn't anything to write home about, but the move does serve an important purpose. I was confused about step directions, btw. FC 3K can be stepped to the left (I always find it easier thinking in terms of clockwise/counter-clockwise, so it can be stepped clockwise). I just tested it now because I was quite sure it can be stepped. It's a bit timing specific, and SCII training mode isn't quite deep enough for me to confirm all scenarios in terms of frame advantage.

Yeah WS A damage isn't anything to write home about, but the move does serve an important purpose. I was confused about step directions, btw. FC 3K can be stepped to the left (I always find it easier thinking in terms of clockwise/counter-clockwise, so it can be stepped clockwise). I just tested it now because I was quite sure it can be stepped. It's a bit timing specific, and SCII training mode isn't quite deep enough for me to confirm all scenarios in terms of frame advantage.

Yes this pisses me so off about this game, cant test shit with this trainig mode. You still have access to 6A from FC which is an excellent move. Even when step guarded you have the frame traps etc since its blockstun. Of course its high though.

I will play around a bit with WS A next time and also check the stepping of FC 3K, i literally never get this stepped or be able to step it myself.

From FC my main mixup is FC3K, WS K, 214A+B (this throw is crazy) or jusr RCC into 1AAA again since its the #1 move to go into FC anyway. So rinse and repeat and thats 80% of Yoshis gameplan.

even though this board is insanely dead, I want to point out a couple of moves/things that I'm surprised nobody brought up before

Because I like to play more of a poking and keep-away game rather than the heavy rushdown and crouch mixup style, the moves I use are a bit different to suite that style. Of course, I alternate between the two when I need some serious damage, but I like to keep control of the match and its pace so my opponent gets more frustrated and I get more of an opportunity to pick up on their habits to abuse when I do rush them down. It also forces them to approach do to Yoshi having better zoning than most characters, which gives me the opportunity to get a lot of damage by catching their movement and gaining a life lead - further forcing them to approach.

Here are some incredibly good (not necessarily top 10 material) moves that I feel like people overlook:

44A and 11A - These are insanely good spacing moves. Long-range horizontals, which are incredibly difficult to punish and work together as practically a mid/low mixup given their similar animations. These moves steps Yoshimitsu a step forward, so knowing the distance that they cover is important to use them most effectively. 11A will also ringout an opponent close to the ring edge, and puts you in FC afterwards at the perfect distance for FC 3K.

3K - Just like Tekken! This i13 move has more range than AA and has the perk of being mid, and is a frame faster than B with a tiny tiny bit more range and damage. It also hits people who step anticlockwise almost always, and has a wider hitbox making it far less likely to whiff than B or other vertical mids. Not Yoshi's fastest poke, but it sure can be annoying with how safe it is.

4KB and 4K(B) - 4KB only combos on counterhit, but this move is still amazing. Even if you start it at point-blank, your guarding opponent will be pushed back and forced into FC at that perfect Yoshimitsu spacing/poking distance. You're practically safe, and out of range from almost all FC/WR attacks. From here, you can buffer an instant guard FC 3K or just hit BB if you think you're opponent is going to push a button, do other setups, or respect your opponents options and do something in response. The only hard counter to this move is to guard the first hit then GI, but that's there the (B) comes in. You can vary the timing a little bit to make a GI attempt risky, and holding it just enough will net you an insanely good UB for 40 dmg. This hits people all the time, and with some practice you'll be able to throw the frame it becomes UB making it very hard tor react to. Mixing up timings and the UB makes it very hard for your opponent to know what to do when you throw this move out, just don't overuse it. The later stuff can be applied to just 1(B) as well for oki.

44/66A+B and 44/66A+B~2B - These moves can be used occasionally for approach, and works well from starting position. You move very far forward, but most of the movement doesn't happen until the attack is coming out, making these attacks tricky because it has a similar movement animations to 44A and 11A and are also able to be guard cancelled into things like grabs. 66A+B will put a guarding opponent into crouch and have many of the same perks as 4KB mentioned above, and on hit can get you about 73 dmg with a 1B followup. The thing that really makes this move annoying is the ~2B part, which will usually hit because your opponent will not want to eat the normal version of the attack and will thus guard mid most of the time. It also makes a slow attack that much harder to GI. The key thing is understanding that using this attack a little goes a long way. It's about your opponent knowing that it's an option that helps your spacing game, particularly 11A and 44A, because they could be powerful approach moves at any moment making them more inclined to block even at longer range.

bA - Good counter-hit fishing move. Gives you the opportunity to say "Namu~" and is undoubtedly the coolest way to finish a set. But honestly, I never see other Yoshi's use this move at all. 70 dmg off a quick counterhit is worth going for every once in a while, especially since the risk is so little. As a matter of fact, it's a mid and is very tough to punish on block, like -13 or 14, but has pushback so your opponent is at that 6b9 range and most of their quick punish moves will be out of range. Of course, this varies character to character, but it's still a solid move to think about using.​

of course, these moves would be accompanied by Yoshi's other good spacing moves such as 6B/6B8, AA, 44B+K (to close space) and of course FC 3K which has a lot more range than people realize and can shut down many approaches due to its range, knockdown, and hit properties. You guys should try some of these moves out more. Yoshimitsu is an incredible character with a lot of viable moves, so using only the best ones will make you more predictable and remove a lot of the charm from playing a character as fun as Yoshimitsu.

And here's a few guardbreak gimmicks. Only works at close to close-ish range. Helpful for a guarding opponent by the ring edge. If 3B would whiff, you can use 6B instead.

22A+B/9A+B (GB) → 3B → 6K
2(A+B) (GB) → 3B → 6k
4B (GB) → 3B → 6k (almost never works without the influence of edge/walls to keep you closer to your opponent)

Also, 44bA is a hilarious troll move to use on people near the edge and will ensure massive amounts of laughter if you ring your opponent out with it. 99% of non-Yoshi mains have no idea this move exists lol

Back