Yoshimitsu stance shenenigans & transitions

Artilust

[10] Knight
This is my main reason for dropping Voldo and picking up Yoshi in SCV. I have the basic Yoshi fundamentals but he really shines if you can work in random things just to weird the opponent out (thats how I want to play him in my head anyways.)

So please share any obvious or unusual stance things you do with Yoshimitsu so I can copy them. As for me:

- 2[A+B] > FLE - pretty old school but still works. This gives you slight advantage on block. FLE B knocks them out of anything if they try something, sometimes I sidestep B just to be deceptive. If they start locking up I can get riskier and instantly 2B+K into MED.

- DRF 6A+B *dash up* & stop. When the opponent tries to put a big gap between Yoshi if I have a little life lead I will dragonfly dash in since people dont usually "expect" Yoshi to come at you like that.

Thats pretty much all I have. A weak bag of tricks. Since I have a week 2 Yoshimitsu and some of you are going on a year 11 Yoshimitsu..it would be nice to share.

BT DGF A > 2B+K into MED > A or B
9B+K(K) into DGF and waiting a moment for twitch.
DGF A continually until they duck and then B. This only works on the scrubest of scrubs.
SDF B on wake up randomly.
SDF A to catch steps if they decide to step the B. Slow though.
Creating huge distance and going into MED. If they run at you they're completely open for pretty much any option. K - 8A is a damaging option for sure. Obviously running at you could be a bait and you could eat a whole shit ton of damage.
MED A+B on GDR happy Cervs.
Going into DGF when you expect Natsu bombs and bashing her with B (or Xiba with wakeup swing around bullshit). Risky, but stylish. 8K works way more effectively for both.

I'll post a few more when I think of them.

How do you feel about raw FLE or DGF?

I really like flea for some reason, but I can seem to force it into my gameplan.

I have trouble including flea in my stances. Most of the options outside of B don't seem that useful to me, but I'm sure some of the seasoned vets could tell you differently. I use DGF all the time. It's massively risky though, especially if your opponent knows how to handle a situation like that.

Well I like FLE [K] because its so awkward.

Which Soul Calibur was FLE 66 (!) on hit? I miss that. Maybe I'm thinking of Tekken.

I am also in love with the fact that 44B+K can instantly cancel into MED. I've been using this a lot.

66 hits low in SCV. I use that a lot when I miss parting thrust now and get into FLE on accident. That's about it.

I am also in love with the fact that 44B+K can instantly cancel into MED. I've been using this a lot.

One of my favorite things to do at times was 44B+K into MED and then just try my luck by doing MED A+B to parry to an attack. It sucks you hurt yourself, but it helps at times(especially against BB happy people). I wouldn't use at low health since that's a death wish lol.

Another thing I love doing is 44B+K into MED 6A+B, K headslide on the ground. I believe it ducks highs like AAs and provides a way to get close to your opponent(like Algol and his bubbles lol). But I like using it carefully lol.

In general, there are some things I miss on Flea which is the B+K(rolling for mix-ups or mindgames).

DGF is pretty much the same though I'm kinda hesitant on going to that stance all the time.

Pardon my post.

I use A+B alot when using flea. Not only does the opponent never expect it, it let's you jump out of the way of attacks. Using the jump to land on an opponents guard makes them think it's safe to attack, and at that time I'd use the K, or hold K for a low hit if they continue blocking. Also useful is that using A in flea has a good decent range, and when holding B it'll launch the opponent into the air, and you can follow up with a simple 6K.

But in general, I try to play my Yoshi weird, it really confuses my opponents. Complete with using iron-fist possession.

EDIT: 66 in flea is useful as well. I actually think all the options in flea is useful.

A lot of my wake-up game is variations on 66A+B...I can ~2B to get them standing up straight, or I can B+K to go to FLE (then mix-up between A, B, [ B ] , K, [K], and 66) or 2B+K to MED if I know the opponent is prone to hesitation (mind games). I also will play long-range guessing games with MED stance with the A/K low/mid mix-up. Or just 6A+B~K if I see them coming in...or whichever. It's never wise to stay in a stance for too long, since you can't block in any of them.

Also: One more thing often forgotten is that Yoshi can throw out of any of his stances (with a slight delay, but good for the very occasional surprise). []

I've found that MED A_K is not a very good mixup. You can backdash out of the K (or the B) and even if they don't, it's not uncommon for the K to just miss... randomly... for no reason.

I'm having similar hit detection issues with 22K. It just seems to randomly whiff.

I'm not saying spam it out there, and yeah I know what you mean about MED K. It's just another trick to put in there, to maintain control over the pace. It's a lot harder if the opponent is the one dictating your actions more often than you're dictating his/hers. []

I really only use anything teleporting out of MED against opponents I know do not know it can. Otherwise you can backstep all teleport options.

Shenanigans?

FLE 6a+b THE HOP If you touch your opponents with this and land infront of him/her while facing towards them, you have alot of options:

FLE 66 A pseudo unblockable. If the hop hits, combo. If the hop is blocked, insta low. Highly punishable if they block it though and even on hit, it's punishable by Yoshi's BB but not 3b fortunately.

FLE K If the hop hits, you can hold dat and it'll combo. If you didn't hold it, they might be behind you while you're in DGF. You can try to smack them with DGF A or fly away or something.
If the hop is blocked, the blockstun will make immediate FLE K beat everything except GIs. If you get GI'd, you bounce off your opponent, then hit the floor for 20 damage.

FLE B The safe mid mixup option after the hop is blocked. Launches on counterhit if they do anything other than GI. If they block it, you're in a bad frame advantage where you can't even GI anything quick, just block.
If you hold the B, you'll evade those high AA's and launch without counter hit. If they block, it pushes you back pretty nice and you're not in a bad frame advantage. They can GI this also but they have to time it. Also, they can side step the held B.

FLE B+K If you think you'll land the hop, FLE B+K immediately then B immediately. The B+K stuns and the B will launch. Sadly, if they block the hop, they'll automatically block the B+K if they try to block low. If they press anything after the hop though, it'll hit but it's like a less than a split second second window.

FLE HOLD DAT HOP if you hit an airborn opponent with this, s/he will fly so high, you'll have enough time to jump off your pogo stick and aB+K.

tl;dr Pogostick gimmicks

I've found that MED A_K is not a very good mixup. You can backdash out of the K (or the B) and even if they don't, it's not uncommon for the K to just miss... randomly... for no reason.

I'm having similar hit detection issues with 22K. It just seems to randomly whiff.

You know it's a gimmick, DrDogg. It's like DGF mix-ups in SCIV. Exploit it against the people who can't handle it and use it sparingly with the rest.

22K was finicky and highly steppable in SCIV, too. Pretty sure it's not something we can really abuse much.

You know it's a gimmick, DrDogg. It's like DGF mix-ups in SCIV. Exploit it against the people who can't handle it and use it sparingly with the rest.

22K was finicky and highly steppable in SCIV, too. Pretty sure it's not something we can really abuse much.

That's the issue. I'm trying to find solid strats that will work against people at the highest level of play, but most of Yoshi's juice is just one big gimmick. I've found very little that I think would work against a good player who knows Yoshi well. :(

Avoid anything with kangaroo kick (1K, MED K). The collision box on that thing is stupid.

Examples: Viola in Unblockable animation doesn't get hit, Nightmare in CE doesn't get hit (which means you'll eat full damage instead of GI damage), Hilde's backdash will break it, at least one of Algol's bubble animations get no hit....

Even when you're guaranteed a hit.... it just whiffs....

Avoid anything with kangaroo kick (1K, MED K). The collision box on that thing is stupid.

Examples: Viola in Unblockable animation doesn't get hit, Nightmare in CE doesn't get hit (which means you'll eat full damage instead of GI damage), Hilde's backdash will break it, at least one of Algol's bubble animations get no hit....

Even when you're guaranteed a hit.... it just whiffs....

As a safe launcher that tech crouches, I don't think we can just avoid using it. Especially when you consider Yoshi's currently "limited" options.

While on the subject of tech crouching, is it known at what point during execution 1K and A+B start avoiding highs? They're not the fastest moves out there, so I'm hesitant to use them, even knowing they can go under highs. []

That's the issue. I'm trying to find solid strats that will work against people at the highest level of play, but most of Yoshi's juice is just one big gimmick. I've found very little that I think would work against a good player who knows Yoshi well. :(

you could try my sc4 yoshi when i´m playing Bean: 8K or BB/throw, fc3k/4BK. on wakeup: 3B/throw :P

As a safe launcher that tech crouches, I don't think we can just avoid using it. Especially when you consider Yoshi's currently "limited" options.

You're right - I was kind of annoyed with it when I wrote that.

Just be aware of what it whiffs on, I guess. :\

Back