Yun's Top Ten Moves.

Dullyanna

[10] Knight
The title's self explanatory. I'd like to see what the better Yun players use, since I haven't run into any on Live (And most of my competition doesn't even know how to shake). Here's my crappy list (There's profanity, bad jokes, and excessive use of parentheses, so be ready):

44B: Works great against certain characters (Assuming it's not abused, since it's very unsafe on block at -18), but absolutely fails against others (Screw you, Siegfried). It stuns on any kind of hit, leading to mixups or noob-filter combos since it's easily shakeable.

WS B: Fast, relatively safe punisher. Only issues are that it's high and linear, but it's fast enough that those shouldn't really be problems.

2A/FC A: It's like most other character's 2As and FC As. The only characters with better ones are Cassie (I think) and Yoshi's instant crotch punch. All others are equal or worse in terms of frames. Also, beware using this against savvy Cervies and Asties. The former will iGDR your face, while the latter will do a leaping crouch grab.

6B Series: The first hit is pretty safe on block, at -10 (Taki can't scrape you if you've been spacing properly). It's a great tool for pressure as long as you're not stupid with it. From my experience, it's best to play it very safe with the second B, even in the beginning of a match. I've had it GI'd way too much, even when I used it just once (And after countless 6B/6 shenanigans).

K Series: Better than most, if not all character's Ks in terms of frames. Very nice for stuffing crap (Watch out for Taki, X, and Amy. ****ing pixies) and the occasional cherry tapping. The B is very unsafe, and rather difficult to hit check. *Sidenote: The B from KKB won't combo from CH 3A like it did in SC3... **** you Namco.

66A: Punishes step, and has good range. Be careful against the sisters, since they can punish it with 236B on block (Let alone crouching). Setsuka can also dish out a just umbrella, though only if she ducks it, I think.

44A: Nice alternative to 66A (Still unsafe on block, but by one fewer frame). It stuns on CH and brings you closer for some sexy mixup action and CR shenanigans.

11_77A: Another nifty alternative to the aforementioned 66 and 44As. It hits low, and is much safer on block (-11 frames).

22_88B: I prefer it to 33_99B, since it's just as fast...er... just as slow (At 27 frames), TCs, and covers a greater distance to better punish whiffs. For what it's worth (i.e. nothing), it's less unsafe on block at -19 instead of -21, or -god knows what if you went into CR. Also, it's easy to start some 1KkG crap on hit.

1B/11_77B: Fairly good for punishment and stun mixups. I'm not sure which is better, since 1B is 5 frames faster (And thus better in stun mixups, IMHO), but 11_77B has longer range, and is slightly easier to use out of step.

4K: It's pretty fast at 15 frames, and hits mid. Good for punishing, stuffing crap, and cherry tapping.

Honorable mentions: There's gonna be a lot of these, since you can't really win with just 10 moves against a proper opponent.

Pretty much every move in CR: Most of them have good uses, but none of them are individually great, IMHO. Still, the stance is a risky but necessary part of his game (Then again, most of his moves are highly unsafe on block). I still need a lot of work in this part of Yun's arsenal.

BB: Should be self explanatory, but I have time on my hands since I can't sleep (Not to mention I'm wearing a watch! LOLOLOL... sorry). It's a fairly nice BB, but try to mix it up with 4K and the occasional 3[K]. 4K is better for stuffing and gently punishing crap, but has less range and damage... Oh wait, I forgot. 4K has better range than the first hit of B.

3K/33_99K: Nice entries into CR, as long as it's used sparingly.

2BK: Same as 3K. Would be among top ten if entry into CR was optional (or it still RO'd like in SC3).

7_8_9KKK: It TCs, then TJs, and the last hit is safe on block, it combos from 236KK, and isn't half bad for ROs. Again, don't abuse it or you'll get punished (You won't take a lot of damage since you're airborn, but you'll be handing out a free okizeme opportunity for them).

6A+B: Nice to throw out occasionally, and the only thing that can punish it on block is Taki's 2bA. Also, it's nice to use in stun combos, since it either lengthens the combo or hits people who shake and block your 1K shenanigans.

A+K: The range isn't so hot, but it's great to use on wakeup and mixups in general (Make sure you're in range), and safe on block at -8. It's the type of move that Ranked spammers would love, except Yun-seong can't possibly win when used by monkeys.

WS A: Note that I didn't tack on "Series" at the end. WS A covers step well and stuns on CH, but the K followups tend to whiff unless you're in a really good position (At least from my experience). Also, you can enter CR from it.

WS K: Unsafe on block at -14, but it'd be an idiotically good option otherwise. Use it if the opponent consistently ducks your other WS moves, and blocks your FC As and Ks.

11_77K: It's pretty fast, and gives a free A+K/1K wakeup on hit! Only problem is that it's -18 on block, so be careful with it.

236KK: It TCs at the beginning, and combos into 8KKK, (Unless they Just Ukemi) and is safe but disadvantaged on block at -9 frames. The first K is stupidly usafe on block, and the only reason you should ever leave the string unfinished is if you hit them at the very edge. That's about it. Oh, and it's hilarious to use over and over against cocky noobs who can't AC (Just don't be an ass about it). Best Worst Infinite ever. Edit: Mikosu reminded me that the second hit is high, making it's safety on block mostly irrelevant. Be very careful with this if your opponent knows Yun.

9B+K: For those assholes with long range lows. It might require some anticipation, but that's part of the game anyway. It's kinda sorta unsafe at block at -12 (Sometimes -10) frames, but that shouldn't matter since you'll be using it against such BS as Ivy's SE A+K, Astaroth's discus, and Siegfried's 2A+B. It's also good to ring yourself out for lulz, although 44B+K serves that purpose better, IMHO. If you're up close, 7_8_9B will serve you better in similar situations.

Moves that I really like for some reason:

66A+B: It's slow, unsafe on block, and linear. IMHO, it's fucking great for wakeup, when the opponent's soul gauge is running on empty. I've gotten a hell of a lot of CFs against competent opponents thanks to this move, since it's slow enough to telegraph, but fast enough to force a block when they're rising. Also, I swear I've seen it dodge crap (Can't remember what, though). 66B may or may not work better (It doesn't telegraph as well, but it's faster).

22_88A Series: Nifty evasive properties, and the last hit knocks them on their back and combos on CH. It's quite unsafe on block at -16, or -18 if you did B at the end. The B cancel is technically unsafe, but you shouldn't get punished for it since nobody wants to block the A and eat the B.

Dishonorable mentions:

3A: It covers step well and stuns, but it's -15 on block. Also, the last hit of KKB doesn't combo with it on CH anymore. It's not really bad, but lack of the sexy knockdown combo makes me upset.

6A:-14 on block for a short ranged high, Namco? Really? Still, it has its uses (And acts as another entry in CR! YAY!).

2B+K: This move can fake out people who don't know Yun, but that's about it. I think Namco added this move to mock former Hwang users.

Edit: Fleshed the list out, and added some moves to the honorable mentions list. For those who don't know what cherry tapping is, it's a term from Street Fighter 2 for when you KO'd an opponent with a jab or light kick.

Since I've still got a crapload of work to do improving my Yun, and a lot of my competition is bad, this is probably a flawed list. I'm hoping this'll start some discussion, and that I can then learn from someone better/more experienced than me. Also, I'm probably wrong on some of the numbers and such (Which is why I've been making lots of edits), so feel free to kindly correct me.

Some other stuff to consider:

22K one of his best moves, you can trap a lot of characters off block and force hesitation, good gauge too.

3K extremely powerful in mixups and is abuseable if properly ranged.

66K staple mid useful in several situations.

33AK series, huge damage for a step killer, it can also be hit-confirmed and applied as a powerful whiff punisher.

1A another powerful stepkiller with a lot of damage.

A+B~BBBB one of his strongest mids if your fingers are limber enough to do it consistently.

44K general purpose spacing and TC knockdown.

Some of the stuff you hate, I love.

3A is good range tool, any mid horizontal that works well at mid range is important for yun (44A can be too slow at times). 2B+K's tracking works well on wakes when you condition them with 1K's and 66K's, but that's stylistic and isn't suited everyone.

6A has a lot of options and better range than you might think, don't overlook it just because of -14.

I don't ignore 6A, since it puts Yun in a great position on hit. I just wish it wasn't idiotically unsafe. I agree, that 1A and 3A are pretty good step killers up close, and I should have given them credit in retrospect (I'm mostly just pissed that you can't get real combos off of CH 3A). 44A is really nice, but only to be used at a proper distance. I haven't given much thought to 44K and 66K yet, so I'll have to try them out.

Edit:lol, I just saw how ****ing easy it is to hit check 33_99AK. The first hit is more unsafe on block, but not everybody knows that, do they?

I don't ignore 6A, since it puts Yun in a great position on hit. I just wish it wasn't idiotically unsafe. I agree, that 1A and 3A are pretty good step killers up close, and I should have given them credit in retrospect (I'm mostly just pissed that you can't get real combos off of CH 3A). 44A is really nice, but only to be used at a proper distance. I haven't given much thought to 44K and 66K yet, so I'll have to try them out.

Edit:lol, I just saw how ****ing easy it is to hit check 33_99AK. The first hit is more unsafe on block, but not everybody knows that, do they?

-14 isn't ridiculously unsafe! Some characters can't even punish that. And if you go into CR, then no verticals can punish u.

1A is awesome mainly cuz of it's super TC and CH combos that follow, being a step killers is just bonus. I don't really care for 3A, not much place for it imo.

66K is one of his ready to use mids, very all purpose get into the groove.

Vints...33Ak doesn't do great damage at all, mid 30s if i recall, and flaky tech traps. I used to like it but not so much now. Everybody knows teh first is very unsafe on block, and i mean VERY unsafe. Both hits are VERY unsafe on block.

6A's feels really unsafe to me in that it's kinda unsafe on block, kinda easy to duck, and kinda easy to step. It's probably due to a personal distaste and improper use, but the move just seems to get me into more trouble than it's worth.

I like what I'm seeing here. Let's see....

Dully's stuff
44B: I see this used so much I'm surprised no one baits it. I forget if it has weird tracking like X's but definitely a great move. If Yoshi tries to DGF you this is your answer.

WS B: Agreed Dully but its speed is what matters to me. It's much better than his old WS B.

I dunno about the 6B series being top 10 but 6B on its own is great. Chip at that SG. The CR mixups are a welcome bonus.

2BK is fine the way it is minus the forced transition. Having that option in 3 was nice. Just because the K is there doesn't mean you have to use it all the time. Remember that everyone lol.

236KK: The first hit isn't the issue. It's the 2nd hit. I duck in anticipation of it everytime and take my free back throw. Taught my fellow Yun users very quickly to not spam that ish against me. Funny thing is the 8KKK business causes more damage on its own than in the combo.

9B_K? Wha? If you mean 7_8_9B then I say that's a spammable. It drains SG oh so nicely is +3 on hit, and only -7 on block. If you don't spam it I will lol.

66A+B: Golden post-GI and as a tech trap after CR [A+B]. Loses to left step on its own I believe.

2B+K: Lol. Works the SG nicely and MAY be misread but just lol.

Vintoks' stuff
3K: Key word there is ranged. Its brother 33K has no such luck on block. I hate using this on its own. I save it for post CR B+K on block.

3A: It's like it was in 3 minus the long stun. Still unsafe enough to matter. All you get is mixups now. I like it after a CH CR B if I feel like messing with peeps.

6A: Sad that Yun has Zas stuns i.e. shakey shakey on out but people tend to block after shaking a stun so take your mixups. On block well.....it's not so....bad but good luck to ya.

hotnikkelz's stuff
33_99AK: It's great! Why? Crazy unsafe but hit-confirmable while sidestepping punisher that leads to free oki. They whiff? Take 'em on a ride. The delayed version could save your butt thus people will likely only use weak quick punishers in time. If you use it in any other way you deserve to lose.

My turn now! I don't have a top 10 nor much to add since you guys have it covered but I can tell you why I use what I use.

66B: Post-shakeable stun SG pressure tool

44A: Step crusher I like at range to decrease its unsafety

9B+K: TJs and good pressure tool. I 44B after this if I expect countering.

4A: Tiny disadv on block and hit but the TC up close is nice son.

3B: General poke and SG pressure

KK/AA: I love BB too especially post CR B+K on block. But if 4K fails then use these: his fastest moves.

That's all I can think of now. I'll post his post-GI mixups in the combo thread sometime.

Damnit, I meant 9 B+K instead of 9B_K. It's not really safe, but it really discourages the crap I mentioned after a few hits. And just in case I didn't make this clear for some people: Do the stuff like 44A and 11_77B at range, folks. You deserve your punishment if you use the latter in somebody's face.

Edit: Lol, I didn't know you could duck the second hit of 236KK. That's fucking hilarious and awful at the same time.

Off Topic: I've been spending my last two evenings being raped by Ivy. The kind of Ivy that can buffer fucking SS and CS during stun combos and wakeup (That's not the problem though. It's just shit flavored icing for my rape-cake). Her fucking long range shenanigans shut my long range stuff down almost completely, and stuff the crap that gets me closer. I can deal with the bitch when I'm Cervy or Setsuka, but I almost always get destroyed by her when I try to use Yun. It's fucking great fun, too.

Vints...33Ak doesn't do great damage at all, mid 30s if i recall, and flaky tech traps. I used to like it but not so much now. Everybody knows teh first is very unsafe on block, and i mean VERY unsafe. Both hits are VERY unsafe on block.

The negative frames aren't that bad since you can hit confirm the string, and if they are conditioned to see 33A you can pop them up with the kick if they try something. Off the string you can ground combo for around 70 dmg, that's pretty good, you're not going to get much more unless it's from crane.

2B WS B
4A
8KKK as whiff punisher for highers.
A into throw
2A into throw.
All this is turtle style.

Now, I'll get into CR moves, since those are an integral part of Yun's game. Disclaimer: I still have a long way to go on applying CR, so if anything I post is erroneous, impractical, or just plain stupid, feel free to correct me (As long as you spare my poor widdle feewings)

CR A: It's alright against step, and starts combos. There's not much more too it, as far as I know.

CR B: It's good for poking people, but don't use it on block, since it fails against 2A and the like.

CR K/K:G: Essential for mixups and combos. I think it can evade lows, but there's only a tiny window at best.

CR 2KK: It's really nice for mixups, but the range is crap. It's best used in conjunction with CR K, and perhaps CR A+K (TO get you closer)

CR A+B: It has its uses in combos, and it's pretty good in okizeme, IMHO. It hits grounded, and if held, it's safe against most stuff, and does nice damage to the soul gauge.

CR A+K: It's very unsafe on block (Unless perhaps you're fighting a stupid Sister who tries 236B, and is a bit slow about it), but it's also good for mixups, and getting closer to the enemy. I personally prefer to use it when the enemy's grounded, so I can get closer for mixup shenanigans.

CR B+K Series: I'm really not sure about it. It could be a great way to approach, as long as your opponent doesn't use highs to hit you from a distance (I've seen the thing go over mids fairly consistently). You can fuck your opponent's tempo by leaping over them (Fun to do against Maxi-pad mashers). The G cancel TCs at the end, giving you a weak FC K/WS K mixup or a way to beat step with WS A and perhaps FC A. Maybe I'm wrong on this, but it seems like you have to commit yourself to either doing the move or canceling it a certain way when you start it.

CR BT B+K: I suppose if you leap over your opponent and they're BT 2K happy, then you can do this for lulz. It looks like the move is supposed to actually hit, but it doesn't. It should go without saying, but don't try to use this against Amy, since her wheel> Yun's wheel (Which doesn't damage the opponent or anything. Fuck you, Bamco).

As I said earlier, constructive critiques are more than welcome.

CR A+B seems to also have insane tracking.

CR A+B has slight tracking. I believe that it can be easily stepped to Yun's left. This doesn't hold true for CR [A+B], which has retarded tracking, and can't be stepped unless you're right in his face, stepping to his left (In which case it's irrelevant). It's also safer on block, and does more SG damage.

Good moves guys. I will post mine later when I feel like it Lol. I will say now thought that 3[K]_33[K] is included. I like that move for frame traps with especially on hit.
-- Master KaijinJin --

@KaijinJin: I mentioned them in my first post. they're good, but very unsafe on block at -18.

1k(k): Its his best move. Poke with the first hit, finish combos, and setup tech traps with both.

44b: I use this move to set up a CF. 66a+b is either going to hit them, or they will block and lose a lot of gauge. If they don't shake you can do 6a+b 1k,k 1k,k(tech trap on last hit)

kk(b): You need it to stop rush down.

6B_b(b): Mix-ups and gauge rape.

CR a+k: I use this all the time, after a blocked CR a you will tech crouch under a lot of peoples a,a. They land right in front of you so you can do another CR a+k or CR k to kick them in the dome. CR a+b hold to rape gauge.

1a: Tech crouches. Stuns on CH. 1aCH WSk 9b+k_1kk is very solid damage with wake-ups.

11_77b: For me I use it when people freeze to block 44b. 9b+k follow up is solid but not as good as assassins.

6kk: I use it to make people feel that MAYBE I actually have some advantage. Use kkb afterwards to interupt or 1a to tech crouch fast a,a

33a,k: Recovery is horrible but thats Yun for you. Its pretty fast and 1kk tech trap follow up is good damage.

22aa(b): Near the edge trickery. Don't do the b and a+g or whatever you want.

Yun sucks. :(

I've found some new shit.

First, LAU made me realize that 236KK can be done from crouch (Obvious, I know, but I don't use the move much). Secondly, it's got good range and is relatively fast at i20. Why does that matter? Because it's fucking gold after 2A. Normally, I throw after 2A, and use WS K for mixups. It offers wakeup potential, but nothing's guaranteed (Not to mention the rather weak range). 236KK has good range for an i20 mid, comes out from crouch easily, and nets you good damage with 8K:K:K:K. I need to test it to see if there's any way to smack them with something if they juke it (Though I'm doubtful, its still worth testing).

Second, I'm going to really test out the Super TJ properties and setups for CR B+K G, which is his only real answer to 2A and horizontal mids. It'll take spacing to use properly, but I really think there's some potential with this.

44b: I use this move to set up a CF. 66a+b is either going to hit them, or they will block and lose a lot of gauge. If they don't shake you can do 6a+b 1k,k 1k,k(tech trap on last hit)

Just a warning, that combo that you do.
44b 6A+B 1k,k
It doesn't work against Kilik and Zasalamel.
The First hit of the 6A+B will completely whiff against them for some reason, there's probably more chars. but those are the only chars. that I've seen whiff against(Course could just be me).

I used to do that combo until I found out it whiffs against them.
Either way, if the opponent can't shake stuns, than I usually use.
44b 44A 6A+B 2B,K this leaves me in CR, which I enjoy more. Course you could just do the 1k,k after the 6A+B.

As per CR B+K G, yeah I love the move. If you're in close, you can use it to jump over the opponent and Yun is still back turned. So I usually use his 2K to knock them back down.

Back