Zasalamel General Discussion and Q&A

I have been waiting for the return of scythe boi for many years haha. Now with time magic though? Awesome.

I find that to be a cool concept mainly because scythes are historically related to Cronus, the father/god of time. The grim reaper as a personification of death was based on Cronus. Time consumes all things, etc.

I'm defo looking forward to playing him :D To the people who played him in SC3 and SC4 what was the best general strategies for using him?

Best strategy was trying to outperform your opponent with your mediocre damage and range/speed. I can only speak for scIV zas.

I liked to rely on his frametraps you got from draw moves, forcing a mix-up between mid/throw. His lows were appalling so no low/mid mixups for him. Zas really shined with his back against the ring edge, he had plenty of moves that would cause a ring-out over his head.

He had a couple good tech catches against ukemi, 4B without just frame 3AB comes to mind.

I liked to catch opponent off guard with uncompleted strings, 6AB, 3AB, 6BA, only performing the first hit.

I would try to find ways to force yourself in BT state to force BT B+K on your opponent which was a great move, like jumping over downed opponents.

4B+K was a great move to throw out as much as possible, safe and would lead to combo damage. 3K was a great kick to stuff your opponent from up close.

I heard that Zas's frames got buffed in broken destiny, most notably his AA would be + on hit, aswel as his 1K low kick. Pimp hand (B+K) gained damage and no longer automatically taunted.

Seeing how BD was a step up for Zas I'm really excited what they do with him in scVI. I missed him sorely in V.

Best strategy was trying to outperform your opponent with your mediocre damage and range/speed. I can only speak for scIV zas.

I liked to rely on his frametraps you got from draw moves, forcing a mix-up between mid/throw. His lows were appalling so no low/mid mixups for him. Zas really shined with his back against the ring edge, he had plenty of moves that would cause a ring-out over his head.

He had a couple good tech catches against ukemi, 4B without just frame 3AB comes to mind.

I liked to catch opponent off guard with uncompleted strings, 6AB, 3AB, 6BA, only performing the first hit.

I would try to find ways to force yourself in BT state to force BT B+K on your opponent which was a great move, like jumping over downed opponents.

4B+K was a great move to throw out as much as possible, safe and would lead to combo damage. 3K was a great kick to stuff your opponent from up close.

I heard that Zas's frames got buffed in broken destiny, most notably his AA would be + on hit, aswel as his 1K low kick. Pimp hand (B+K) gained damage and no longer automatically taunted.

Seeing how BD was a step up for Zas I'm really excited what they do with him in scVI. I missed him sorely in V.

Fantastic breakdown.

By the sounds of how balanced the characters all are in the playable demo, I'd say it sounds positive so far that Zas will be close to good as other characters are, only time will tell.

Speaking of time how do you expect his curse and time stop abilities to work and come into play?

I wonder if the curses will be a reward for either good offense or either good defense.

Maybe it is applied on lethal hits, or from hits during soul charge state. Maybe it's a separate move that you have to land (pimp hand), or from draw moves, or throws. It would reward good offensive play, but do you really need a boost to your offense in the form of time stop when you are already winning?

It could come from good defense, like landing GI or RE.

From the trailer timestop looks to be applied when landing certain hits, RE B specifically. Hopefully there are other possibilities.

The mechanic looks like a cool addition to me, but only when it rewards good play. I'm a bit worried Zas will be forced to rely on it to dish out big damage or to be viable.

I wonder if the curses will be a reward for either good offense or either good defense.

Maybe it is applied on lethal hits, or from hits during soul charge state. Maybe it's a separate move that you have to land (pimp hand), or from draw moves, or throws. It would reward good offensive play, but do you really need a boost to your offense in the form of time stop when you are already winning?

It could come from good defense, like landing GI or RE.

From the trailer timestop looks to be applied when landing certain hits, RE B specifically. Hopefully there are other possibilities.

The mechanic looks like a cool addition to me, but only when it rewards good play. I'm a bit worried Zas will be forced to rely on it to dish out big damage or to be viable.

Yeah it still literally could do anything at this point as we wouldn't know much better lol

I'm tired of seeing Zas getting beat up in all the other character trailers since his reveal, hoping E3 has some gameplay so we can breakdown the shit outta it.

The laziest thing would be that the time freeze is just a special "stun" animation for certain attacks.

They took the time to mention Siegfried's Dark legacy being a defensive tactic, they've talked about Taki's PO chip dmg against blockers.
We haven't really had much insight on Zasalamel (and even yoshi's 3x soul absorption).

Some Zas Move Analysis from the E3 build. Zas so far is much better than he was in SCIII & IV especially since he has some of Abyss' moves.

AAA
6AB
3AB
3A(B)
3AK(2nd Hit was from Abyss)
Soul Charge 3AKB(Last Hit is SCIV Zas' 33_99B4)
2A
1A
4A
Soul Charge 1AB
JMP A(Zas' old WL A)
BT A
BT 2A

BBB(Last Hit was the 2nd Hit of Abyss' BB)
bA(Was Zas' SCIV 22_88A)
bK_b:K
6BB(Was Zas' SCIII & IV's 66BB)
6BK
3B
2B
1BB(SCIII Version/2nd B Stop Time when Opponent Is Cursed)
4B
CH 4B:B
46BB_46:BB(Zas' old WS B/2nd B Stop Time when Opponent Is Cursed)
WS B(Abyss' Version)
FC 3B(Zas' old WS B)
JMP B
BT BB(Was Abyss' 66BB)
BT 2B

KK
6K(Curse When Hitting the Opponent)
3K(Curse When Hitting the Opponent)
1K(Zas' old 11_77K)
JMP K
WS K(Was Zas' 3K)
Soul Charge WS KB
BT K
BT 2K

A+B(Zas' old A+K)
Soul Charge A+B_BT A+B(Abyss' A+B)
6A+BB
6A+BbG
2A+B(Was Zas' old SCIII B+K)
Soul Charge 2A+B
4A+B(Was Zas' old A+B)
8A+B(Was Zas' 4A+B)
B+K B(Curse When Hitting the Opponent)
B+K bG
B+K B(B+K Charges Automatically/Curse When Hitting the Opponent)
B+K bG
WS B+K
BT B+K
BT (B+K)
6B+KA(Was' Zas' 6B)
2B+K
4B+K
8B+K(Was Zas' SCIII 4B+K)
8A+K(New Move)

33_66_99A
33_66_99(A)
22_88A(Zas' SCIV 1AB)
11_44_77A
33_66_99B(New Move)
22_88B(SCIII Zas' 33_99B)
Soul Charge 22_88BB:B
11_77B(Zas' SCIV 22_88B)
44B(Zas' SCIII 4B & SCIV 33_99B)
44(B)(Charge causes it to be Abyss' version)
33_66_99K
22_88KK
11_44_77K
66A+BB(2nd B Stop Time when Opponent Is Cursed)
44A+B(SCIV Zas' 11_44_77B4)
66B+K
44B+K
44b+kG

Zas' CE is an aGI That Curse's the Opponent On Hit or Block & is a Guard Break on Block.

Last edited:
B+K doing damage was enough to sell me.

He also has some new AA attack with large range. And what looks like the mid B punisher from SC3 arcade. The follow up from 66A+B is also interesting...I really need my hands on this character.

I think they read through the forum from sc4 and those wishlist, because back in 09 i wrote about zas having a wrB that would ring out behind him or just slam the oppenent on their head and i just saw it in a video in the general forums.

Maybe its just irony but, either way im happy to have zas back and for him to look so solid this time around(hopefully he makes to console this good).

I think they read through the forum from sc4 and those wishlist, because back in 09 i wrote about zas having a wrB that would ring out behind him or just slam the oppenent on their head and i just saw it in a video in the general forums.

Maybe its just irony but, either way im happy to have zas back and for him to look so solid this time around(hopefully he makes to console this good).

That's Abyss WS B from SCIII. Zas has a lot of Abyss moves in Soul Charge.

That's Abyss WS B from SCIII. Zas has a lot of Abyss moves in Soul Charge.

Havent played sc3 since 06-07 so even when wrote that in the wish list back in 09 i thought i came up with lol. What was zas new 66b and does not have his old ws b that rung out in front of him ?

@Frayhua Do you have a source for Zas's 22B and 88B that you've listed? Just find it strange that they are 2 different moves now.

At 0:15 it looked like 22B was his old WS B. I've rewatched the video and it could have been iFC 3B because SCVI Zas' WS B is Abyss' version. Zas ducked to avoid the 1st hit of Geralt's 66AA which is High.

I didn't notice till now that the startup of Zas' SCIII 33_99B & his SCIV 11_44_77B are similar, but they aren't the same move. Remember when Zas did his 44B in SCIV it knock the opponent forward, but it you press for before the animation ended it launched the opponent backwards.

Havent played sc3 since 06-07 so even when wrote that in the wish list back in 09 i thought i came up with lol. What was zas new 66b and does not have his old ws b that rung out in front of him ?

Zas' New 66B is Lethal Hit Launcher. In the trailer, Zas' old WS B didn't have his old attack throw. In SCIV at all range except Tip Range, Zas did his old WS B attack throw. At Tip it cause's a stun.

What will be the input of Zas SCIV 66BB?

In SCIII, Zas & Abyss' had different versions of this move. Zas' 66BB was a CH Combo & launched for 66A+B or 4A+B. Abyss' SCIII was a NC that stunned on NH comboed into 66BB or A+B. Then, in SCIV Zas' 66BB finally became a NC. In SCVI, it's 6BB. He can also do it from BT and it'll become Abyss' version during a STN.

Last edited:
Back