Hilde Guide & Strategy Discussion

Anyone have suggestions for a good followup to FC C3A,K,A? Negative frames except on counter =(

-David

on hit it's not really possible to follow up with anything. It doesn't force them crouching, it's negative frames and it doesn't space. You can try to 6A+K which after the -4 would come out as i16, but that's risky. You're better off with defense than an offense.
On CH though, now we're talking.
FC C3AKA on CH crumple stuns. This means that any move that hits mid or low, is now a tech trap.
This includes, but is not limited to C3B, C2BB, 2A+B and although I haven't checked yet, would also assume 66A+B.
C3B and C2BB need to be timed, 2A+B can be input straight away. 66A+B is about 3 frames faster than 2A+B so it might need a delay, or it might not.
2A+B combo's into 2B+K or tech traps into 33K.
66A+B combo's into 2A+B (Grounded Face Down) which then tech traps into 33K or combo into 2B+K.

CH FC C3AKA, TT C3B Doom combo deals ~75%. So if you think they are definitely going to tech, try to time the C3B for the tech trap as that will almost guarantee you the round.

I just started playing as Hilde a few days ago, and I was planning on using her in an upcoming tournament. I don't have enough experience to know which attacks are useful and which ones aren't.

attacks I use frequently:
AA
2A
1KK
C1B
C2BB
C3B
C1A
C2A
C3A
66B against Algol

attacks I use in moderation:
3BA
3BB if they duck horizontal
6A+K
2A+K
A+B
2A+BK
4A+B
FC C2B
FC C3BBA
running K

I don't use 8K because I can never find a good place to implement it, and it seems pointless against an opponent that ducks for just about anything that doesn't look like a charge. It also fails pretty hard as an interrupt if you're fighting someone who's not dumb enough to a slow attack against Hilde. I also never really use horizontal charges from crouch because the standing ones seem so much more effective. And what should be used as a whiff punish more, horizontal charges or vertical charges? I originally preferred horizontal charges for whiff punish, but I was missing out on valuable damage and ROs when I ended up with a C3A C3B, or even just a C2AA by itself. I'll also try using B+K after C3B, now that I've been practicing the reverse RO doom combo. Any advice on attacks that I use that I shouldn't be using, or attacks that I don't use that I should be using?

Also, I found that C4A is quite useful, even though I usually use it by accident. It's too fast for many people to react, and almost no one will be expecting it. C4B is shit, and I had a Yoda player step it on reaction before.

C4A is trash; against any half decent player you will not survive half a minute without A. C4B on the otherhand is quite workable after a parry or GI, not to mention that it's more rewarding without hampering your game as much as C4A.

-David

C4B is too slow and it has no tracking. I wouldn't doubt you could step it on reaction after an impact. C4A isn't something I go for intentionally, it's just the side effect of two players turtling and doing kick pokes or whatever for a nice portion of a battle.

In theory you could step C4B on reaction post GI, but unless the opponent is expecting it, it's not going to happen. More than likely after a GI or parry, the opponent is either going to be guarding or reverse GI as it's generally a bad idea to try to step after being impacted. C4B will catch any opponent who goes for reverse GI and any opponent guarding has only a fraction of time to drop guard and step, especially after a parry or just impact.

In any case, an opponent who is giving Hilde space should be punished to hell with doom combos anyway.

-David

In theory you could step C4B on reaction post GI, but unless the opponent is expecting it, it's not going to happen. More than likely after a GI or parry, the opponent is either going to be guarding or reverse GI as it's generally a bad idea to try to step after being impacted. C4B will catch any opponent who goes for reverse GI and any opponent guarding has only a fraction of time to drop guard and step, especially after a parry or just impact.

In any case, an opponent who is giving Hilde space should be punished to hell with doom combos anyway.

-David

Except the fire all over the attack kinda' gives it away. The person I practice with won't even fall for charges after impacts anymore because they started sitting and waiting for the blue flash to start counter-impacting.

After you impact someone, use 8K. It's guaranteed (unless they counter parry) and after 8K, C3B becomes a tech trap. 8K is possibly the only move where people will tech into the trap about 90% of the time. As for C4A vs C4B. I prefer C4B. C4A is unlikely unless you're poking with Kicks and B's. but then they'll know something's iffy the moment you aren't using any A's. People don't always notice you not using B's and B charges though.

C4B is the ULTIMATE whiff punish. Since it takes about 14 frames to step, if someone whiffs and you release C4B, unless their move has next to 0 recovery, chances are they aren't going to step it in time. Also sometimes it works well as a wakeup move. If you can time when they stand up to co-inside with your C4B, you can quite often nail someone.

I'm kinda' hesitant about throwing out tech traps like that in high-level play because most of the people worth using it on won't fall for it, and if they do, they won't fall for it more than once. But then again, I can just throw out a 4A+B if they lay there, don't know if there's anything better for punishing people who just lay there when knocked down at a distance.

One setup I recently found to be effective is B+G, backstep a little, and then throw out a charge. I've won quite a battles doing this. In fact, I've found throwing with Hilde to be VERY rewarding, because many people don't have the balls to duck against Hilde. The B+G throw gives space and rings out, and 64B+G does a fuckload of damage, and even top players fuck up and forget to break a RO throw, and if they don't, you can just A+G the hell out of them when you're backed up to a wall or an edge.

I'm kinda' hesitant about throwing out tech traps like that in high-level play because most of the people worth using it on won't fall for it, and if they do, they won't fall for it more than once.

but that's a C3B tech trap... even if they fall for it once, you get a free attempt at a win... so why not abuse it until they learn?

but that's a C3B tech trap... even if they fall for it once, you get a free attempt at a win... so why not abuse it until they learn?

Because most people already know? Just about everything relating to Hilde is common knowledge by now, nearly everyone plays as her.

the thing with 8K C3B, is that it's oki damage AND tech trap. if they don't tech they still eat.
I love 64B+G, even if there's no wall. 64B+G, quick dash in 64B+G, quick dash in C2BB for when they finally duck :p

Just about everything relating to Hilde is common knowledge by now, nearly everyone plays as her.

since you decided to use a generalization to support your point, I'll generalize as well.

judging from the way people played against RTD... no, not everyone knows how to play adequately against Hilde.

as for questioning the tech trap's practicality, if the C3B allows for an attempt at a win, and it also hits grounded, wouldn't that make said tech trap more valuable?

it would (at the very least), cause confusion in the opponent as to how to escape this certain situation.

The thing with Hilde's tech traps is that they are absurdly powerful, but there is very little viability to them. You have to make your opponent WANT to tech. Quite often after C2BB C2AA I will use 4A+B since no one techs it, but once people start teching and blocking the 4A+B, I can now start using C2BB as a mind game.
Hilde by nature makes people afraid to duck and afraid to tech. Use this fear to your advantage. Mind games with Hilde are almost always in your favour.

runis if your opponent knows anything about hilde they should know to tech left/right because she has no tech traps that i know of that will catch those directions after the combo you listed

Babalook, after C2BB C2AA, C2BB tech traps in "every" direction.
Some of the other traps have the teching left flaw, but those traps have counter traps that catch the tech left flaw and set up yet another trap on top of it without wasting your B charges.

Some characters can tech left. I know Cass / Kilik / Amy / I think Sophie are some that can and not be caught with the c2bb.

Has anyone tested that on Ivy? Her hit box is all sorts of weird vs some of NM's tech traps, so it wouldn't surprise me if she can tech it too.

Back