Nightmare VS. Yoda, Punishes/combos

xbmv4n1t4s

[08] Mercenary

Hey everybody, When I play SC4 im always playing online (mostly in ranked) and one of the reasons I hate Yoda is because the mojority of every character's moves in the game miss him, and he has some incredibly overpowered moves that are easy to learn by anyone, and the majority abuse him to get a better rank.
The worst part is that when you fight him, you have to play completely differently then how you would against a different character, so here is a few moves and punishes I found while spending hours in training, every time I fight him online, I always win.
Punishes
Yoda's Ataru Strike (2A+B)
This is Yoda's unblockable move, deadly at mid-long distance, but if your up next to him, he flies over you, so the number one tactic is RUN TOWARDS HIM, NOT AWAY!!! (or just not be a noob and sidestep, most effective)
22_88B (if you use this up close you can sidestep around him, striking his back deals extra dmg)
22_88A > B
a:GA/iaga <--- AWESOME (surprisingly easy to pull off and very useful, use it at the peak of his jump and he will be swatted like a fly)
8B
66B+K <--- REALLY AWESOME, HITS 3 TIMES (use when he is at peak of jump, you will deal 3 hits)
4A+B (do this at long distance, or he will hit you)
NSS > b:A <--- PWNAGE(nothing to say, it just looks awesome, a big "DENIED" to Yoda!)
-------------------------------------------
Yoda's Charge Strike (6B)
This one is the worst, all you press is 6B, its really fast and if you block it then you flail like a retard and Yoda gets a free hit.
3 OPTIONS: try to sidestep, duck, or GI
This move is really hard to sidestep, you HAVE to know its coming, but if you DO, sidestepping is the way to go
The move is really easy to evade by ducking, but there isnt much you can do once you have ducked it, WR B/K misses him.
you can also GI and from there you can do a bunch of stuff (surprisingly easy to pull off if you know its coming)
If your opponent uses this alot, sidestepping and impacts should be EASY

duck > 1K > NSS B
GI > 3(B) > B
GI > 3(B) > GS B
GI > 3(B) > GS (B) > B (notice a pattern?)
22_88B (cause A and K will miss that midget)

Combos that are effective against yoda
11B (use this alot, it owns yoda)
3(B) > B (45 dmg)
3(B) > GS (B) > B (26 + 30 + 28 = 84 dmg)
3(B) > 6K (43 dmg)
33B > GS3 (grim stride into crouch) > WR > K (47 DMG)
66B > 4KK <--- AWESOME (62 damage)
------------------------------------------------------
Anyways, yeah, thats all I got, Please tell me what you think, I love criticism.
DISCUSS!!!!! SHARE YOUR COMBOS/TACTICS!!!!!
and tell me if I wrote anything wrong, I will fix it.

*Updated, added duck to 6B tactics

*Updated, cleaned up the guide a little to make it easier to read

Hey guys, a few of my combos were missing, and for some reason brackets dont work with bold text, so I had to use (B) instead

Good work man. Don't assume a lack of responses is a lack of interest, SC4 has been dying down for a long time now, and alot of people are looking ahead to SC5.

-Idle

I prefer to use 3B CH, 4B, B on a Yoda that hurls out that stupid unblockable. Followed by a GS KK ring out if possible. Though its been a while since I played against a Yoda, can't remember if the second hit of GS KK actually hits him.

I prefer to use 3B CH, 4B, B on a Yoda that hurls out that stupid unblockable. Followed by a GS KK ring out if possible. Though its been a while since I played against a Yoda, can't remember if the second hit of GS KK actually hits him.

Second hit doesn't. I wish :/

u know that yoda has half the soul gauge of all the other characters so soul gauge pressure can give u a solid advantage.

While true, you can use stuff like 44BB and 66 A+B (Very heavy SG damage on both), this thread is more about punishing him for doing stupid crap.

Why is Yodas 6B considered good?
It's an i15 linear high that leaves him with no real advantage - rubbish move if you ask me...

It's good if people don't realize that it's not
It is however an i15 guard crush that leaves yoda grounded similar to NM 44k and knocks down on hit. It is definitely a move that if you get hit with it can change the tides of the round.

EDIT: Pretty sure the Yoda 6B also jumps lows. Much like everything else in that green booger's move list. As for me I just wait for a whiff and stay away from him as much as possible. Oh and using 66k alot on him is a pretty decent poke since most of your mids don't hit him.

Just play Sophie against him. I dont even bother learning the matchup as NM. Anyone who plays Yoda should be brought out to the backyard and shot. 4B+K, Soul Crush in breaks in 5. GFG

Hahaha.. I hate this character. XD There are some combos on my book.
6K(CH) -> 3A+B
8K(CH) -> 3B(Tech-trap for all)
11K(CH) -> 3B(Tech-trap for all)
3[K] -> 3B(Tech-trap for all)
NSSA+B -> 33B(Tech-trap for all)
3A(CH) -> 3B_33B

My strategy is that:
For mix-ups:
1K_3K_11K_66K - abuse them. They are the main moves cause less whiff.
B_2B cause less whiff and it is hard for Yoda to step.
6K_9K - sometimes you need it. It still hit him in specific range.
22A and 22AB - Air hit damage is good against to Yoda's all jumping moves and it can avoid a lot of Yoda's vertical moves.
Step more and wait for a whiff punishment.
Jump forward on special condition such as you see him doing a rolling stance.
66B
4A+B
Do more Unblockable mix-ups if you know.
33B for a whiff punisher only.
11B, 3B(max), 1A alone(max) and 3A+B(max) - maximum range only.
Learn how to step or deal with his rolling stance->KKB (I forgot the input). It seems will CF you by 7-8 of them.
Watch out his RO setup. His RO ability is not bad. He can ring you out far away.
Pay attention on his Force meter and guess what move he will do.

For CF:
Nightmare's CF doesn't work well on a good Yoda. Most of heavy CF damage moves of Nightmare are slow, very unsafe, lack of mix-ups and causing whiff. "Yoda can parry to gain soul easily because he doesn't need to take care the high moves and throw." Also, Yoda's CF ability >>>>>>> Nightmare's CF ability. You have to finish the match by mix-ups as fast as possible before he CFs you.
However, you can try to do GSB, 66B, 44B(max), 66A+B, 4B, 1B, 1[A] and 1[A]K.

For RO:
Not work well. Try 6K or other air hit RO moves.

While true, you can use stuff like 44BB and 66 A+B (Very heavy SG damage on both), this thread is more about punishing him for doing stupid crap.

COUGH Both highly punishable /COUGH

Why is Yodas 6B considered good?
It's an i15 linear high that leaves him with no real advantage - rubbish move if you ask me...

Tech jumps and I believe tech crouches as well. Sure it is linear and fairly shite, but it is still one of his best moves. Mainly for punishment and combo finishers from a range (unless you prefer to go for the tech trap option) and also not too bad soul gauge damage considering its speed.

Just play Sophie against him. I dont even bother learning the matchup as NM. Anyone who plays Yoda should be brought out to the backyard and shot. 4B+K, Soul Crush in breaks in 5. GFG

Shoot me biatch, only manly men play cripples that everyone bitches about cause they can't do shit against him... until they learn most of what he does is really whiff punishable, and most things going into force are extremely unsafe... and that he has crap step... and he can be caught in more tech traps than anyone else in the game.... yeah... you rage!!!!

P.S. ALL HEIL GREEN SEXY, Mein Führer

Tade does not read very well, does he? I said you CAN do stuff like that due to the crap SG he has. I never said they weren't punishable.

And GTFO you limy brit traitor!

The point that most of NM's mid and low SG attacks are punishable, minus 1(A) is well... hell it's not logical to state such an inferior strategy against the worst character in the game lol. I main both though so I should think I have the best general idea on how to handle him in this situation :D (oh and you're more of a traitor than I am!).

Oh and limey* And I have no idea what it implies lol, probably something amusing... like a black man calling a white man vanilla face or cracker or something.

AND BITCH I WAS HERE A YEAR BEFORE YOU, GTFO yankee traitor! ;)

P.S. I'm English, not British.

British, English, you still call cigarettes Fags. Now go smoke a cigarette. And Yankee? Pfft I'm from Florida man, Yankee is for those guys up north.

By the way, what tools does Yoda have against 3B spam? All kidding aside, I'm actually kind of curious about this (Besides the obvious block, GI, force GI moves of course).

Back