DancingFighterG

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackMambaMoan

[09] Warrior
It's a name that has been taboo around here for a long time, but I'm gonna cut to the chase.

Whatever it was that happened with Soul Calibur Nationals many years ago, I think it's time that we moved on from that. LBSH, the details about what happened with SC Nationals aren't very clear. From my personal experience going to one of his tournaments this past weekend in Colorado, I thought it was fun, the hospitality was there, the venue was great, guaranteed prize payout for all the games there, etc.

Only gripe was that the tournament ran kinda slow, but that is something to blame on his clearly inexperienced TO's. (I won't give them 100% of the blame though because there were a few players in multiple games that held up some of the tournaments) That is something that can be fixed though. Other than that, his staff ran a good tournament and there were no real problems. Hell, even SC5 finals streamed pretty late during Prime Time hours.

Everybody who placed in the tournaments got paid upfront right after their respective tournament. Wrote us checks, came home and cashed it two days later, no problem. SC5 only got $150 for first, which still isn't too bad for a local tournament and the fact that the game didn't generate crazy numbers. However, some of the other games like Injustice, SF4, and UMvC3 all got $600 for first, $300 for second. Forgot how much 3rd place received, but it was a highly respectable Top 3 payout. They even flew out Justin Wong and Happy Medicine to participate. Even the CO local players there for SF4, SC5, and Injustice and pretty good.

The point is that my Sketch Radar didn't go off with DFG. He was just a pleasant ass dude, to be honest. For those who know me, they know that when something is bullshit or not right, I'm quick to call it out straight up and suffer the consequences later. This however, there is no need to call anything out. I can personally vouch for him and his event. Like I said, it's time to move on and give second chances. After all, it has been many years since SC Nationals.

I would def like to hear a lot of you other players opinions on the subject.

Lol That Was Fast. MGT Sucks Ass.

I wouldn't say he sucks, but he had some serious holes in his game.

He was actually up on me 2-0 in Winners Finals, but then I won three straight. Grand Finals, as you saw, he lost 3-0. He just had some bad habits that needed fixing and pressure might have got to him because my friends were being kinda rowdy in the audience. All and all, I wouldn't call him bad.

Well in terms of him as a person I am definitely willing to let bygones be bygones. I would love to see him play more and go to places. But from a standpoint of a tourney organizer, he was giving a big opportunity to make a name for himself and given a huge responsibility with SC4 Nationals. He completely dropped the ball on this and there were a few things that questioned his integrity as an organizer. If everything went perfect, people would be asking him to make more tourneys and etc. Thus is the life of a tourney organizer. Reputation is very important since people commit a lot of money and time to travel to events. When we ran the Evo side tourney for SC5, I knew my reputation was on the line. There was a point Evo told us that they weren't going to supply us with monitors anymore and we were about to drive to BestBuy to personally buy monitors. Every time I run a tourney I want the majority of people who went to feel like their money and time were worth it. It's not exactly easy to do sometimes, but since people travel to these things it's very important.

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but that video was irratating as hell to watch, I couldn't even focus on the footage with all the constant bickering and hooting, was there no commentary?

Well in terms of him as a person I am definitely willing to let bygones be bygones. I would love to see him play more and go to places. But from a standpoint of a tourney organizer, he was giving a big opportunity to make a name for himself and given a huge responsibility with SC4 Nationals. He completely dropped the ball on this and there were a few things that questioned his integrity as an organizer. If everything went perfect, people would be asking him to make more tourneys and etc. Thus is the life of a tourney organizer. Reputation is very important since people commit a lot of money and time to travel to events. When we ran the Evo side tourney for SC5, I knew my reputation was on the line. There was a point Evo told us that they weren't going to supply us with monitors anymore and we were about to drive to BestBuy to personally buy monitors. Every time I run a tourney I want the majority of people who went to feel like their money and time were worth it. It's not exactly easy to do sometimes, but since people travel to these things it's very important.

Maybe what happened was either two things:

1.) He probably didn't budget the money wisely and spent it all on the event itself.
2.) The money that was given to him was spent on all the plane tickets and other things.

I don't think he just flat out stole the money though, but it is something that he should probably address.

the ball is in DFG's court, as it always has been. the bottom line is that lots, and lots of money vanished. it may have been stolen. it may have been used unwisely on the event (in which case our pot went toward the wrong costs). it may have been lost. we don't know.

all we have ever wanted was for DFG to prove where the money went or to apologize and explain why he can't do so. all we have ever gotten was a cold shoulder and a refusal to explain anything or provide any sort of paper trail of costs.

until we get some sort of resolution from his end, the blackwall stays up. the ball remains with DFG. we are not unforgiving, and our requests from him are not unreasonable.

to avoid any flaming, i am closing this thread. if you have any more questions regarding DFG and the community, PM me. DFG, if you see this thread, and wish to use it as an avenue to clear your name, PM me and i will open it and allow you to post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back