1/18/08 - cali regionals - simi valley, ca

Sora...the second one hit him while he was on the ground....there was no reason to keep down in that situation, much less keep standing up into them after that

Good point. Chalk it up to nerves I guess.

Watched the vids.

Ceirnan Hilde is great. Disliked it because it's so much charge based (win/win based) but it's effective.
IMO Aris kinda played bad against him though.

Aris vs Alex J - Cass vs Amy : Alex J needs to work on his match up against Cassy, so much duck, B+K, 6B+K he could have done that would have been free. Good match though.

King Salomon : Little luck, you faced Hilde, the match would have been more beautiful if you didn't.

Seriously this community needs to use their Kicks more. Much more. Simple basics like 3K solves a lot. Not one person tried to kick Hilde out of her charged moves. Not once.

Well if i remember right Aris actually did a lot of 66Ks with Cassy, unfortunately Cassy lost her godlike 3K from SC3, but it think Aris tried to Kick her out of charges, dont know whether he uses 66K on othermatchups too.

Maxou: you do not like Ceirnian's Hilde because it is...efficient? since when is being efficient and effective a bad thing?

the low kick for Cass is 33K

I did see Alex spamming kick moves with Cervy against Ceirnian, which looked kinda funny.

I had a solid gameplan going to my first match vs cedric in winners. This gameplan had about 7 or 8 key points to it. The problem with bunching all my strats into one play style is, All Cedric had to do was adjust once and i was fucked. Now looking back, a smarter strategy would be to bunch these strats into 2 groups, switching between them. Having a back up plan is paramount vs hilde. In many cases, a 5 to 10% adjustment from the hilde player can literally cost you a round. In a tournament situation each round is worth so much. Its all about being prepared for that adjustement and switching strats before it happens. Its not like most other characters where you have the luxury of letting a strategy run its coarse and adjusting when it stops working. You have to adjust BEFORE it stops working if you plan on winning.

This concept is quite lame imo but oh well, its a reality...

I had a solid gameplan going to my first match vs cedric in winners. This gameplan had about 7 or 8 key points to it. The problem with bunching all my strats into one play style is, All Cedric had to do was adjust once and i was fucked. Now looking back, a smarter strategy would be to bunch these strats into 2 groups, switching between them. Having a back up plan is paramount vs hilde. In many cases, a 5 to 10% adjustment from the hilde player can literally cost you a round. In a tournament situation each round is worth so much. Its all about being prepared for that adjustement and switching strats before it happens. Its not like most other characters where you have the luxury of letting a strategy run its coarse and adjusting when it stops working. You have to adjust BEFORE it stops working if you plan on winning.

This concept is quite lame imo but oh well, its a reality...

Wow I wish I could make up gameplans on the spot with 7-8 key points in the middle of a tournament XD.

0. Paying attention to what charges enemy Hilde must have is a given. You should be able to tell what her charge options are unless your opponent is tricky. Even then, neglecting to charge A or B in order to have C2 or C1 at the right time takes some foresight.
1. TSS or step left from small disadvantage.
2. interrupt between charges with quick mid kicks if hilde has C3A, otherwise use your most reliable interrupter.
3. Let her blow her charges after a knockdown or throw, they give her enough time to charge to level 3.
4. If you know hilde has both C3B and C3A, expect C3B first, as she gets nothing after C3A without C2BB.
5. Do quick TJs between charges if your character has them, on hit you fall safe from the doom combo, and her main interrupters are 2K and 2A, both jumpable.
6. aGI when you see the blue flash.
7. Use Force Crouch attacks to limit her to using FC charge moves.
-FC charge B moves do not give advantage and FC charge A moves are either not dangerous or high.
-Try not to set Hilde up with the FCC2B doom combo variation, you'd have to force crouch her at the wrong time to end up getting hit by this.
-Keep in mind FCC3A is a high and needs a CH.
-FCC3BBA does not ring out.
-FCC1B rings out over low walls.

Am I missing anything?

thank you aris for bringing to light how truly awesome 33k mixups are. imo its one of cassies strongest tools.

So I guess we didn't learn anything we didn't already know about anti-Hilde. Don't make any mistakes, ever. No matter how solid your gameplan is.

If this doesn't get patched soon, SF4 is gonna crush this whole community. We'll be back to 30 man majors like in SC3. I don't want to see that happen, I really do enjoy this game.

The only weakness in aris game I saw was him not countering cedric C-move -> 2A spam. While 1A (which he threw out instead of, say 9B (which beats next charged move AND 2A but loses to step though) might be effective against step I've yet to see cedric step. Maybe it was on purpose? I dunno whats going on in heads of players of Aris caliber. But certainly could have used a few opportunities to win. Also not breaking B-throw with Hilde back to edge cost him a crucial round.
I deeply respect Aris skills but still wonder why something as simple as generic frame trap->2A combo wasnt countered even once.

For the lack of character knowledge for aris and us is because Norcal really doesn't have a Cassy player and Socal really doesn't have a hilde player. I definitely agree with Maxou that I need to step my anti Cass up, next time you see me play against Cass it will look different because there was some pretty crucial things I didn't know.

Tiamat :

I disliked the Hilde because it was so ugly to see.
Wait for a patch and his whole gameplay fails.
Not saying he won't be strong with a patch, but he will have to adapt, to learn ... the game.

It's the same way I disliked watching Xiang vids back then in SC3, it's effective... but I disliked it nonetheless.

As for now, he doesn't need to adapt, he doesn't need to play the game.
Hilde doesn't need to adapt, it's the other character who needs to adapt to Hilde.
And that's what I dislike.

Because if he makes a mistake once on it, the round is over.

As opposed to what was already happening?!
It wasn't conservative play, it was just bad judgement, and i think that's fine considering he doesn't play against hilde much. I have absolute confidence, that Aris would do WAY better next time, no doubt about it.
----------

I still find it hilarious that from just this tourney people run around screaming waving the ban stick though, especially when Shen Yuan since last year September has been using such stuff. Not that much has changed since then.

hotnikkelz: Yeah I've been thinking the same thing lol. Either because we are singapore, or such things hit harder when you experience them.

maxou: wow

hotnikkelz & shenyuan: people are selfish, they don't care until it happens to them, or someone they worship.

Because if he makes a mistake once on it, the round is over. Hilde forces you to play conservatively like that.

Uh, no, a TJ would have countered the charge attack->2A frame trap. If he makes the mistake of using a TJ at the wrong time, and instead gets hit by another charge attack, the round is NOT over, as Hilde cannot combo jumpers.

Back