α Patroklos General Discussion/ Q&A

You should be playing throw rushdown with 1B:B or 66B as your close range mid, 2363B at mid range. You can also use 1A: A: A to make the opponent want to crouch. You should be very conscious of punishing with Alpha, paticularly at low - and utilise tools like 3K, WS A, 3A and 66A for stepkill.
Alpha is actually weaker at midrange than Setsuka was, so I'm a believer in only zoning when necessary and ballsy rushdown otherwise, though I'm sure other members on here play better styles, haha.

Hey yall. Just wondering what everyone's PS3 / 360 controller layouts look like. Do you have a setup that you find helps you perform JF's easier? Here's mine for 360 silver controller with raised dpad:

LT - A+G
RT - B+G
LB - A
RB - B

A - G
X - K
Y - A+B
B - B+K

My thumb is rested on G and K while my fingers are on A and B (bumpers). I find this works extremely well. I also use this setup for Hilde so its perfect :D .

Hm, never really considered moving the face buttons around. I have A+B set to LT, and I discovered that if you roll from A to A+B, it treats it the same as aB. You can even get JF Twister. A+G, B+K, and bA slides I can do pretty easily with my thumb, and I have A+B+K set to LB, which makes BE inputs a lot easier.

What's up with Alpha's guard impact? Sometimes it does his 6B, sometimes it does a move similar to 2363B, and other times it does this weird horizontal. Any way to control this?

What's up with Alpha's guard impact? Sometimes it does his 6B, sometimes it does a move similar to 2363B, and other times it does this weird horizontal. Any way to control this?

His A+B aGI increases in strength the more you use it successfully over the course of the match, stacking up to 8 times I believe.
He will do
-6b for the first 1-3 successful impacts.
-3b for the 4-5 impacts.
-Some random face cutting high horizontal for the 6-7.
-And B+K, 62B,44_66B+K for the 8th.

(I think those are right?)

So I mentioned in the combo thread but I guess I'll say it here too: NH 33B 66A+B is a force block else eat 66A+B OTG. If they eat 66A+B OTG, 2366K will force them to block IT if they tech, and they'll eat it if they do anything else (including QS it seems)

66A+B breaks in 8, 66K/2366K breaks in 12.

So I mentioned in the combo thread but I guess I'll say it here too: 11B 66A+B is a force block else eat 66A+B OTG. If they eat 66A+B OTG, 2366K will force them to block IT if they tech, and they'll eat it if they do anything else (including QS it seems)

66A+B breaks in 8, 66K/2366K breaks in 12.
In the other thread you'd actually mentioned 33B, 66A+B. I assume it works for both? They both give enough time for bA on NH, so I'm assuming they're both compatible with this break trap.

In the other thread you'd actually mentioned 33B, 66A+B. I assume it works for both? They both give enough time for bA on NH, so I'm assuming they're both compatible with this break trap.

I'm stupid and accidentally wrote 11B here. I meant 33B. It works on 11B - but too well. It combos instead of trapping. =P

Edit: Though If it combos it's likely you can use the 2366K trap after it. But I haven't tested this.

Also note: it HAS to be 2366K. A 66K can be back teched and you'll whiff.

Patsuka changes said:
agB (Rising Red Moon): move can no longer be executed with aB+G.
1B.B (just) (Reverse Pheasant): decreased 2nd input timing. Increased 4th attack's damage (14→20) when 1B.B is done twice in a row.
During Ring of Heaven B (Island Divide): decreased damage (20→14).
While crouching 3B.B (just) (Shade Thrust): increased damage (18→23).
While standing B (Crescent Blade): decreased damage (18→12).
Translated patch notes came out. So does that mean 1B:B is easier now?

https://sdtekken.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/soulcalibur_v_battle_system_update_march_2012.pdf

Here's the whole thing if you guys are interested.

Translated patch notes came out. So does that mean 1B:B is easier now?

https://sdtekken.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/soulcalibur_v_battle_system_update_march_2012.pdf

Here's the whole thing if you guys are interested.

I believe so, which is laughable. That just is already easier than it was in IV. :/

When I started playing patsuka again, I was fully expecting nerfs come today - LOL I WAS WRONG. What the hell Namco, not realizing this character is crazy stupid strong already. Time to take advantage.

I thought it was stricter?
The character is strong. Crazy stupid strong? I don't think so. There's no good Alpha Pat atm though :P Including mine, perhaps Docvizzo (?) or Shen Chan (?), there's so much things to learn with him... Combos are the least of the problem...

The patch is IMO useless. They didn't nerf what needed to be nerfed. They didn't buff what needed to be buffed.
Way too soon...

I thought it was stricter?
The character is strong. Crazy stupid strong?

He doesn't have enough weaknesses TBH, every character I've played I've felt weak in several different situations. With alpha I generally always have an answer. There's one weakness I can really see in his game that can limit him, but it's honestly nothing glaring that I feel seriously hurt by, and that's stepkilling at range.

I'm gonna start playing him at my scene's gatherings. We'll see how it goes in comparison to Viola :P

He doesn't have enough weaknesses TBH, every character I've played I've felt weak in several different situations. With alpha I generally always have an answer. There's one weakness I can really see in his game that can limit him, but it's honestly nothing glaring that I feel seriously hurt by, and that's stepkilling at range.

I'm gonna start playing him at my scene's gatherings. We'll see how it goes in comparison to Viola :P

He has weaknesses. You didn't fully play with the character to see them yet. I felt weak in several situations, but I never felt weak with mitsu if you want an exemple...
The execution barrier is not that big of a problem though.

Viola the more I am playing with her, the more I can see solutions. IMO pre patch she was like a very good mid+ character, now...

1B.B (just) (Reverse Pheasant): decreased 2nd input timing.

Im confused. Does this mean its easier or harder to do now?

decreased 2nd input timing means smaller input timing. Now it's 2 frame window JF. And it will be 1 frame JF.
If translation is correct of course.

He has weaknesses. You didn't fully play with the character to see them yet. I felt weak in several situations, but I never felt weak with mitsu if you want an exemple...
The execution barrier is not that big of a problem though.

Viola the more I am playing with her, the more I can see solutions. IMO pre patch she was like a very good mid+ character, now...

Oh I feel like Viola was fine, and I could see ways to overcome her weaknesses, but her worst weaknesses/matchups WERE gamebreaking for her. She literally doesn't have an answer to some of astaroth's stuff except make an amazing guess. And even then bullrush makes pressure really hard for her. Even then I still think the buff was way too much.

You're right, I haven't played him enough, but I honestly think he's far too strong ATM. We'll see if that changes the more I play her.

Hah, I already have a hard time pulling off 1B:B consistantly at various ranges, ever since they removed the "shing" sound effect that IV and Broken Destiny had that made it so much easier. :(

Ehh... I don't like this translation.
The 1B:B change I initially thought was a smaller gap between the first B and the second B but most seem to be saying that the window is smaller. Which is it?

Anyway, so to sum up the changes it is basically stricter on just frames but more rewarding with more damage while going for simpler things has less damage.

Back