All character match-up spreadsheet.

Mandy

Yes, a guy.
Please read everything before posting.

Something I've been working on all night. Trying to make a somewhat accurate match-up chart.

How does the match-up chart work?

All match-ups are taken from a best of 10 format. In the chart each character is ranked against another character for his/her odds of winning out of 10 games given their tools. i.e. a 5:5 match-up (5) would me that said character would theoretically win 5 out of 10 matches, meaning they are evenly matched characters. If a character had a 4, that means they would theoretically win 4 out 6 match-ups and are at a slight disadvantage against said character.

What is the purpose of the match-up chart?

Personally I'm doing this as a contribution to the community. Tier lists lead to too much subjective discussion with no real aim, too much input from those with lack of game knowledge, and generally negative community response. The match-up chart is being designed to encourage healthy community debates between two specific characters, and as to why they are evenly matched, at a weakness, or advantage. This is not designed so that you can 'pick the best character and win', it's not that simple. These are just theoretical averages, not the law, and are purely for discussion and speculation.

---
Obviously people will argue at some points, but if it's the difference between a 5:5 match-up and a 6:4 match-up let's just call it 5.5:4.5 and have a big ol' group hug. At the moment I take averages between match-up lists to balance out bias.

I've scoured the forums looking for match-up lists and I've been moderately successful.

I currently have gathered some information from posts by:
aPat - Maxou
Aeon - crow_winters (Note on Siegfried: Slade)
Ivy - WhYYZ (small note from: Ring)
Leixia - ZeroEffect317 (small note from: Therenovator)
Mitsurugi - Belilal
Siegfried - Heaton
ZWEI - Belilal
That leaves me with a sizable amount of the cast to document.

So if you would so kindly post match-ups for your characters, I will mill through them and try and complete this chart; primarily for fun, but also for some speculation.

Chart in its current state:
microsoft-excel-jpg.22293

If you plan to do so I ask that you PM them to me personally, and only post here if you have any questions for me, or if you are posting a list from your character's Soul Arena, feel free to post your community's thoughts on match-ups in this thread. If you are a highly regarded community member; for instance, Belial (Mitsu/ZWEI), Bibulus (Leixia/Algol), you can feel free to post your thoughts here, if you're not, please PM me your lists directly. For example; I found Heaton's list to be credible for two reasons:
1) no ridiculous 2-8 1-9 match-ups.
2) pages of agreement from other members of the respective community
-Again, this thread is not for your personal discussion regarding match-ups.

I still need match-up lists (out of 10 format (i.e. 5-5 or 5:5)):
Algol
Astaroth (small note at the moment from: Xeph)
Cervantes
Dampierre
Devil Jin (purely for entertainment purposes)
Ezio Auditore
Hilde
Maxi
Natsu
Nightmare
Patroklos
Pyrrha
Pyrrha Omega
Raphael
Viola
Voldo
Xiba
Yoshimitsu

Thank you in advance to those that participate.
This is not a tier-discussion, do not try to turn it into one.

only post here if you have any questions for me

Oh boy! A field day of questions ensues. Why is your name Mandy if you're a dude? You trying to seduce me? You know it won't work cause I like chicks, right? Speaking of chicks, is your Sister still free for Sunday? Is it okay if I swing by and pick her up when I drop her mother off? Dammit man forget that its your mother too, will you forgive me for porking your mom? What if I buy you some Reese's? Has anyone said no to Reese's? Who else here loves Reese's? I'd eat cases of Reese's, wouldn't you? Wouldn't you like to know how much wood a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? Why doesn't a woodchuck chuck wood? Wouldn't you like to know? What if a woodchuck chucked wood at another woodland creature? Would the woodland creature chuck the wood back at the woodchuck? Would you tell me if you knew? What if you knew everything? Would life become meaningless? Or would it just be the beginning? Have you read the beginning of the never ending story? Did you know that Chuck Norris finished the never ending story? Twice?

I like starting trouble.

hmm can u tell me why? maybe aeon struggles to get inside? You can Pm me if u don't wanna discuss it here
To put it simply, Aeon is constantly kept at a range where his only effective tool is 66A and 4B+K, the first of which Siegfried can punish for 50%, the second of which loses to WR B/3B and even on hit it sets both characters up to Siegfried's favorable range. The only way Aeon can really get ahead in this matchup is to read the base hold and punish with a 3B, and even then Siegfried can guess wrong nearly twice as much and still come out ahead. Aeon also lacks effective ways of dealing with SCH, as all of his TC attacks are short range and lose to SCH K. To top it off, Aeon lacks effective i15 mids to beat agA/3B after SCH B or agA on block (4K and 6BB have abysmal range). Even Aeon's RO game is less effective here, because putting your back to the edge against Siegfried is suicide.

Aeon also has favorable matchups against Algol and Astaroth.

To put it simply, Aeon is constantly kept at a range where his only effective tool is 66A and 4B+K, the first of which Siegfried can punish for 50%, the second of which loses to WR B/3B and even on hit it sets both characters up to Siegfried's favorable range. The only way Aeon can really get ahead in this matchup is to read the base hold and punish with a 3B, and even then Siegfried can guess wrong nearly twice as much and still come out ahead. Aeon also lacks effective ways of dealing with SCH, as all of his TC attacks are short range and lose to SCH K. To top it off, Aeon lacks effective i15 mids to beat agA/3B after SCH B or agA on block (4K and 6BB have abysmal range). Even Aeon's RO game is less effective here, because putting your back to the edge against Siegfried is suicide.

Aeon also has favorable matchups against Algol and Astaroth.

Considering I play Slade a lot I do have to agree it's an uphill battle. Most Aeon players I play predictably open up with 66A in which you can read that in SBH for a big chunk of damage. Once they start realizing that you're going to SBH their 66A you can begin wrB/3B and continue playing keep out.

Like I said, I'm trying to use consistent averages here, I'll be posting thoughts as I fill my chart.

The Sieg/Raphael match up is wrong. Heaton even did a small write up about how it's in Raphael's favor.

I'm using Heaton's list for my chart.

Using Belilal's information from ZWEI/Mitsu; averaging in with current information.

Taking Slade's comment on Sieg/Aeon MU.

(ಠ_ಠ)

Also you may want to use a different match-up chart for Siegfried since I know my opinions on the matter are considered rather unorthodox.
You and Shen are the only Siegs I've ever heard of in SCV's timeframe that go to tournaments offline that don't hate the game. I'm pretty sure your opinion is better than mine.

Just for the record, I agree with Slade on Siegfried and my original matchup analysis for NM v. Aeon is wrong, it's definitely in Aeon's favor 6:4 if not better. The 5:5 was mostly a placeholder for him, but I'm sure you already saw that.

Just for the record, I agree with Slade on Siegfried and my original matchup analysis for NM v. Aeon is wrong, it's definitely in Aeon's favor 6:4 if not better. The 5:5 was mostly a placeholder for him, but I'm sure you already saw that.

I took note of that as well.

I've been scrounging through the forums and have found a few more match-up results, but I have a few lists that are baron. I don't want to put my thoughts in there as they really aren't too empirical, and I'd rather keep the lists remotely credible. For Devil Jin I've just been giving him straight 5's as I'm not too concerned with his placement and I will be giving it more thought in the future.

Current results (if there's a 10 with a green mark in the top left, or a blank cell, I haven't put the information in; this spreadsheet functions on macros):
Microsoft Excel.jpg

Essentially the macros will automatically fill in certain match-ups and I manually average the data. I know .5 match-ups aren't really logical, but it helps to give you a more accurate feeling for the odds. As you can see there are still many match-ups to be filled in, and aPat is the current board leader (which I don't really find to be much of a surprise)

Back