Anti Setsuka

CrazyYoshimitsu

[10] Knight
Ok, guys I have been having trouble out the ass aginst this bitch and I would love some advice on taking her down. What are her draw backs? How can my boys and small girl handle her? What are good counters aginst her?

Anti Setsuka..... the bitch i love to hate.

How can my boys and small girl handle her? What are good counters aginst her?

Ok I see Talim, Yoshi, and Mi-Na. Thus through my superior reasoning skills I have confirmed Mi-Na to in fact to be a man. I knew there was something that turned me off about that hoe. Angol Fear FTW!

Ok your first prob is Mi-na for some reason Setsuka will always rape the shit out of a mi-na( I know that for a fact)

second most of Setsuka's moves aren't safe so if your're fast you could probably murder her that's all I will say.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:sc3set1:"The battle was decided before I drew my blade":sc3set1:

second most of Setsuka's moves aren't safe so if your're fast you could probably murder her that's all I will say.

WTF.

Anyway the best general advice is to (a) be aware that range is not necessarily your friend, since Sets can close distance f'ing brilliantly; and (b) don't be afraid to guard for a while until it's safe to attack, since Sets is fast and her counter hits can be nasty.

Also - I haven't played against a good Talim but it seems that Setsuka's 4A could shut down 90% of Talim's options. A horizontal that ducks highs and steps back a bit out of range is surely not Talim's friend. Can anyone confirm?

Did I seriously just read this? Setsuka is one of the safest characters in the game...

Anyways, just block standing until you see a low coming. And learn to recognize her throw range and when she might throw. The key to fighting setsuka is to not get impatient, if you do, you get a CH. Oh, and don't underestimate her range, both 66A and 33B will hit you from a very long distance away.

Don't get all excited over haxking's lies because Setsuka is an incredibly safe character, and a tough nut to crack if she doesn't want to open herself up. Like everyone has said, patience is key to fighting Sets. She has a *lot* of efficient tech traps, but most of them end with the umbrella which is unsafe, so you might want to check out frame data and find out what you can use to punish it.

Also, Talim and Mi-Na are both very unfavorable match ups against Sets. I also tend to win most Yoshi match ups, but I'm not sure if it's really an unfavorable match up for Yoshi or I just don't play a lot of great Yoshi players. If you're on the PSN, feel free to add me and I can point out some openings in her game.

ID: I play Talim, Yoshi, Sk, and Algol. SK would be in that third spot, if the 8wayrun people added a pictrue for him.

DiBiddlyBop: I'll try to play you later after I get some homework. I can't beileve my people get own by a bitch with a boobs upgrade.

Plume: Lots of lows, her throws, and that speed of her is stupid.

Lots of lows, her throws, and that speed of her is stupid.

Well, for one she doesn't have lots of lows, she actually has very few. Mainly you have to watch out for her ground stab which crumple stuns and leads to a pretty vicious oki game. The good news is it's blockable on reaction offline (very difficult online), although it can be mixed up with her B+K which leads into Silver Moon and looks similar, so a good Sets player will mix between the two and hope the opponent reads it incorrectly. Both moves are relatively safe, so it's in a Sets player's best interest to use them both frequently. Her other dangerous low is 1A : A : A which can ring out to the right, but I think you can tech up after it and be back on even ground with her. She also has 11A, but that's not really something you have to worry about. Few Sets players use it, it's blockable on reaction, and I think it's unsafe (not positive).

Her speed is her major asset, but her fastest move (JF Umbrella, i12) is punishable (-22), which is why patience is key. If you block it, capitalize on it.

EDIT: Didn't see the above post while writing mine, so some of the information is redundant. Sorry!

Sets' throws are among the best in the game, all I can say is to break B if you're in the corner. Her lows can be blocked on reaction for the most part; she has a good mixup with 2A+B and B+K since they have a similar startup animation, but it's hard to set up. 2A+B is much safer than it looks; Starkiller gets nothing, Yoshi only gets FC 2B, Talim can use WS B, and Algol has 6KK. Her 1AA, on the other hand, is -23 on block, so everyone can do something good.

Sets is an extremely safe and quite damaging character, which is why she is often considered top-tier or close to it, but even she has some useful moves that can be punished. Besides the above mentioned lows, umbrella is -22, bA is -18 (though it's generally used from long range, which is safer), and 6K is -14. Her 1B is -18 (usually launcher-punishable) if she doesn't get the just frame - watch for the white flash, and hit her if it doesn't appear.

There are also holes in a couple of her strings. You can duck the 2nd hit in 66BA, and you can GI the 2nd hit in 1B:B and FC 3B:B.

Hope this helps out a bit, and good luck!

She also has 11A, but that's not really something you have to worry about. Few Sets players use it, it's blockable on reaction, and I think it's unsafe (not positive).

Yes, 11A is unsafe. However, it recovers crouching, so it'll make you whiff highs, which has it's perks. it's good to catch people trying to roll away from 33B pressure, and is decent when used very sparingly, but that's it. 2A+B, 2K, 1A: A: A are really the only ones you need to watch out for... everything else is pretty easy to block on reaction (2A+B might fall into that category, too... but it can be mistaken for B+K on startup, so sometimes freezes people). The only real way Sets has to make you want to duck is her throws (no small issue, granted). The thing is, the things that make you duck are from up close, so you usually don't have to worry about 1B: B or 33B because most Setsuka players won't use those at throw/1AAA range. Also, do realize that bA has a deceptively long range, and is safe at max distance from most punishers (barring Sophie's 236B shenanigans). Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with your mains to give you specific anti-strats.

If you've got good reaction speed, most of Setsuka's best moves are mid. If you're feeling risky, throw out a move and bait Setsuka to block and punish, then GI her punish. I don't know if any of your characters have good aGIs that do the trick, but a normal GI will work just fine if you don't have it. Careful not too use moves that make you lose to many frames, or you'll eat an Umbrella to the face.

ok I'm back don't pay attention to the lies i spouted. I was in a rush and had to go to school but I will tell you some things you should look out for 1st)people will try to attack from long range with :bA: which is safe. 2nd)Don't fall for the mix up game. 2A+B and B+K have the same animation so we can fool you into blocking low and making you eat 90 to 76 damage. 3)Umbrella isn't safe if you block it there's a good chance you can retaliate 4)One thing I noticed is that most Sets' I played online are monentum oriented meaning if they can get a good start there's a high chance of a perfect so if you see an opening in a string or if she's predictable you could stop her. (don't get offended by this post, I'm saying what I see people online doing)

---------------------------
:sc3set1:"The battle was decided before I drew my blade":sc3set1:

2A+B and B+K may be a valid mixup to people who aren't used to seeing 2A+B, but in high level play it's easy to see the difference between the two. I'm not going to talk about online. When fighting Sets, be careful of how you use your highs and throws: Sets is a monster at high whiff punishment, some of her best moves tech crouch, and she has a very strong FC/WR game. As safe as she is, don't miss opportunities to punish 1A series, umbrella, and bA. Most characters also have ways to slightly punish B+K, 44B+K, and 2A+B. Take whatever damage you can inflict. Don't be too reckless offensively, or her 4A will catch you plenty for CH and trust me when I say you do not want to be caught by that. At mid range, her main tools are 33B, 66A, and A+KA. Be mindful that 33B can be stepped, while 66A/A+KA is designed to catch steppers. The main thing here is to know when you have advantage, and prioritize on your mixups when you do. In addition, for me, Setsuka is the least effective when she is just outside close range. This is the range where most of her effective close range tools will whiff. So if you have good horizontal mids and lows that can hit her from that range, use them. She will be limited to using her mid range tools closer than she would like, all the while being vulnerable to horizontals if she tries to step.

I'm hijacking this topic. (Partly.) I'm also having trouble with Mary Poppins. Does anyone have any tips for using Cervy on her? I was told she's uber unsafe, so I kept trying aB on everything. I thought my timing was just bad.

You're wrong good sir. She is like a zip lock bag when it comes to being safe in this game.

You're wrong good sir. She is like a zip lock bag when it comes to being safe in this game.

Zip_Lock_Bag.jpg
?

That ziploc bag is epic awesome!

I'm just lurking this forum, but at least I'm getting some practice on shoring up my Sets weaknesses and such.

Back