any tips for a new Soul calibur, Cassandra player

Violent_soma

[08] Mercenary
I'd like to ask the vets that have been playing this game for some time that what would be a good starter tips to learn how to play Cass to her full potential? to play more agressively or to turtle abit just to observe one's opponent?

everything u need to know is already on the forums....head to the wiki for frame data and then go from there. but as for being aggressive take the 1st round to learn ur opponents habbits and how to punish them. From there proceed to kick arse

Just a advise from me(im sure most of the people will say its stupid ) but...play against the A.I.(swordmaster difficulty) sometimes to build a flow in your style.
It helped me much more out.
Dont forget the sparring mode ;)

how do you know if your learning Cassandra? my friends says i can make Cassandra "dance, Flow, or seemless" i'm not very smart when it comes to terms, what does that mean?

I think they are over analyzing Cass. Cass in my opinion has some very strong attributes that must be abused of and used in order to punish.
First of all her step is ridiculous. Not only her natural step but also B+K auto step. Once you learn how to attack and step successfully you can whiff punish with 236:B or 33B which leads to 70+ damage combos.

Another part of Cassie's game which is interesting is her grab game. 66B+G (followed by 4BB:A) is excellent for Back Ring out and it does over 65 damage. Also 236:B followed by 2B+G is an 80 damage low grab. This is good for mind games because your opponent is probably expecting B+G grabs so you get free A+G grabs all day :).

Useful (non abuse-able) attacks:
Cass also has a good anti-step with WS A. And one attack that lots of people don't use but I enjoy for some reason is 66A+B4. Its range is long and even though its -14 on block not many characters have an i14 move with that range so it is relatively safe. If you manage to consistently do the UB version of it, it does 55 damage, else it does 40+ which is solid.

Can also watch how higher level players play someone like Cass, like Partisan for example

I'm not trying to be a douche but I don't think Partisan has proven himself yet to be a high level player. He's getting there but not there yet.

However, that doesn't mean you can't take credit from his vids.

Take heed that I'm not a high level player myself nor have I proven myself to be one not like Hates, and Kira.

"Technically" you're right, yes. However, for what the TO was asking about, it works.

to play more agressively or to turtle abit just to observe one's opponent?
I think you can observe either way, but generally to find whether playing aggressively or turtling suits your style, you have to play and find out yourself.

Also depends on how your opponents play with their character you may come to realize that you need to turtle more or be more on the offense for certain individuals.

Also Cass is regarded as a rush-down character (a character on the offense) but doesn't necessarily force you to push the offense.

Cass is one of the best punishers in the game man, You gotta go into training mode and learn other kids moves, and learn which moves you can punish. But first watch Eggmaster, Partisan, KDZ, Rigel, JTO, Tidaleaf watch them play Cass on youtube, they all great players and pick up some punishes and tactics. She doesnt have great mid-low mix ups so yo have to use throws and steps to mix up your game. and hit those justs every time! Learn those bigger combos and find times when you can use them. punish punish punish

Punishment, as most above have said is your best friend with Cass.
My advice would be to learn how to control distance, space your opponent and punish hard when they whiff moves. For that purpose 214 is very good, paticularly if you've just been rushed.
Don't just charge in, let your opponent do the hard work for you.
Finally, if you haven't already, master the 236:B_[ B] just frames.
That's just my advice and I'm no Cass pro, but I'm sure that will help & good luck mastering her man! =)

I'd like to ask the vets that have been playing this game for some time that what would be a good starter tips to learn how to play Cass to her full potential? to play more agressively or to turtle abit just to observe one's opponent?

Long time member but I believe this is my first time posting.
Anyway I echo what he wrote, but for online in my case. I looked at the Cassy Online Madness guide, but the link is long gone. I'd also like knowing what to avoid online if the connection is say 4 bars or less.

Long time member but I believe this is my first time posting.
Anyway I echo what he wrote, but for online in my case. I looked at the Cassy Online Madness guide, but the link is long gone. I'd also like knowing what to avoid online if the connection is say 4 bars or less.

Don't play when its less than 4 bars, and avoid anyone with a bad 4 bar (or all 4 bars altogether if you are patient). As for what to avoid online, well, avoid doing anything that doesn't work offline. Some of the more annoying things I see Cass players do to abuse lag: excessive use of 236B/236{B} when not a punisher and treating it as a safe on block move when its not, trying to use any of her unblockables (generally far too slow to ever land), excessive use of 1A.
As for playing well, learn to poke safely, what you can punish on block (watch Partisan's videos on this for a complete visual breakdown on some of the characters), throw lots, practice 4BB:A until you can do it consistently its your standard combo ender, practice 236{B] 2B8BAA its your standard punisher, learn her frame traps and use them (but don't overuse, they can all be countered in various ways), learn the tech traps in the tech trap thread. Play as the rest of the cast some to learn their options so you can know what to expect and what you can punish/interrupt.

Thanx for the reply, was afraid the thread was dead. Unfortunately I don't always have the luxury of a 5 bar room & I don't like 1 on 1 rooms/matches that much (long story on that which I don't wanna get into now). I make it a point of not doing certain things if I see a 3 bar room, but I avoid those like the plague unless it's someone I know.
I agree on the 1A, 'cause I see myself doing that quite a bit online. What's a decent alternative (especially if foe is grounded)? I wish you'd not written that stuff about the 2B8BAA, I've usually issues with that move *groan*.

Thanx for the reply, was afraid the thread was dead. Unfortunately I don't always have the luxury of a 5 bar room & I don't like 1 on 1 rooms/matches that much (long story on that which I don't wanna get into now). I make it a point of not doing certain things if I see a 3 bar room, but I avoid those like the plague unless it's someone I know.
I agree on the 1A, 'cause I see myself doing that quite a bit online. What's a decent alternative (especially if foe is grounded)? I wish you'd not written that stuff about the 2B8BAA, I've usually issues with that move *groan*.

Well 2B8BAA can be done with practice, after you start the first 2B part, just hold up and input the BAA part while holding up and it'll work. Worst case, you mess up and get 2BB which'll still combo after a 236{B} stun.

Posts 87-92 in this thread: http://www.8wayrun.com/threads/shes-bossy-general-cassie-strat-and-matchups.257/page-5 talk some about her grounded game. 2K, 1K, 33K, 8A+K, 1A, 1B, 3B, 8K, FC 1B, 66B+K, 4BB:A, 22_88B+K are all options. Just be aware that all of her lows are unsafe (with the exception of FC 1B, not all characters have a fast enough move with enough range, but, its super linear). I find myself mostly using 33K, 1B and 8A+K, with some 1K/66B+K's thrown in, and 4BB:A against people who like to roll. And if they like to get up blocking low, 33B launch them or low throw them :)

For 2B8BAA It's super simple if you input 2 and B and the same time, pause a second, 8 and B at the same time, then just mash A a few times. And yeah Andur covered the ground game nicely. I mainly use 33K, 1K, 3B or use 44B:A to pick up on roll!

Back