Arcade Stick Troubles

WolfLoneThe

[10] Knight
Hi, I've had an arcade stick for a while but only recently wanted to use it for SC and other ganes but currently I have a few issues:

1. I find movement immensely hard. I cant really quick step too well in any direction except forward. Is this just a thing that I'll learn in time or am I doing something wrong? I recently watched Shen Chan vs CNRA Ruka and they both move around so fluidly and that is where I wanna be (I know it'll take some time).

2. The ball is kinda loose on the stick and the little plastic ring under it is also loose and I can move it up and down. Is this normal?

3. Brave Edges and CEs are pretty hard for me. Is it usual for people to use a single button for A+B+K or actually pressing all three buttons?

Thanks for any responses

Yes it takes some time to get your movement down. Practice makes perfect. You can tighten the ball down.
If you open stick up there is a flathead screw at bottom of stick. Hold it in place and twist ball till tight. Dedicate a button to a:B:k

Hmm... Having trouble stepping, seems to be more a technique issue I'm sensing.
are you left or right handed?
(yes this does matter)

Also, there's a certain way you should do your movements. I typically have my hand slightly cuffed (top 2 joints of fingers) laying on the side of the stick just a little off contact and my thumb slightly near the right side of the ball.

1. Practice

2. Unless they come off, then the ball is supposed to spin and the shaft and dustcovers are supposed to be loose.

3. Press all three buttons.

1. I find movement immensely hard. I cant really quick step too well in any direction except forward. Is this just a thing that I'll learn in time or am I doing something wrong? I recently watched Shen Chan vs CNRA Ruka and they both move around so fluidly and that is where I wanna be (I know it'll take some time).
It's just practice.

The tendency when starting out is to ride the stick all the way to the gate (the "throw" of the stick).
Standard Sanwa sticks have pretty big throws, so you have to teach yourself to just work within the activation points ("engage") instead of hitting the edges of the stick to input directions.
If you make smaller movements with your hand, you'll be faster in-game.

This is especially important when double-tapping; if you ride the stick all the way to the gate and then all the way back to neutral and then back again, you'll be too slow.

Watch other people's hands, as well. It took me one-two years before I figured out how to correctly input direction 1 (curling in middle & ring finger, I learned it from EWGF tutorials).

2. The ball is kinda loose on the stick and the little plastic ring under it is also loose and I can move it up and down. Is this normal?
Yes.

3. Brave Edges and CEs are pretty hard for me. Is it usual for people to use a single button for A+B+K or actually pressing all three buttons?
All three buttons.

It's about being comfortable, so do what feels right to you. Do research for different methods, maybe do some practice, but in the end you have to be relaxed with the equipment you're using. There isn't a lot of documentation on the subject because everyone's so different.

It takes some time. Don't feel bad if you don't "get it" either. (I didn't grow up on stick, it's still completely foreign to me. I've resigned myself to pad only. I'd probably never learn to use it unless you stranded me in Japan.)

I'd recommend doing some practice/input drills before a playing session, if you don't mind the extra work.

On the BE's, SC isn't too particular about what's pressed when.

So for example, Maxi's 6A+B. You hit the A+B, just keep holding those buttons down and then press the K and you'll get the BE input. It's not hard to piano most of them in that manner. (Provided you don't get all excited and spazz out like I tend to do.)

The adjustment phase can take weeks to months til you don't feel like you're fighting the stick. Just gotta keep playing til it clicks.

I "piano" inputs such as Viola's 2B+K BE by just hitting A after I hold 2B+K. For the rest though, I use my pinky to hit a BE button I have bound. I only bind BE and Taunt.

Back