Are Fighting Games Becoming Less Social?

LP

Premium Member
(If this is a bit much, you should skip pass my little past and to paragraph 5).

I was just having a little chat of differing viewpoints over PSN and it actually got me to thinking about this.

It's funny that, as fighting games and gaming in general becomes more 'socially acceptable', I feel as though they're becoming less social. But, before I go into this, let me give some background as to where I'm coming from (If this sentence wasn't evidence enough that it's from the Midwest).

Most of my childhood memories come from a neighborhood in which there was an arcade right on the corner of my block. When I say arcade, I don't mean a laundry with a Street Fighter 2 cab and I don't mean a Japanese arcade with a whole hardware crew on hand; this arcade had around 6 arcade cabinets at any given time and they were always updated to the latest and greatest games. But that's neither here nor there; what is important is the experience it gave me.

I, to this day, know the name of the owner of that store--Mrs. Doors. I also remember her family. Beyond that, I remember the extended family of people who would come from all over to play at the arcade, talk shit, and get Flaming Hot Cheetos with melted nacho cheese on them. There was usually an older crowd there and I knew most of them through other people. Hell, I remember some guy who helped design MK would routinely come there and play.

There were a lot of memories made there...a lot of friendship (it was not uncommon to hear, "Here, shawty." and then have someone let you finish off the games on their coin). I technically had my first job there; hell, my father could write a note and the store owner would let me buy him cigarettes, no questions asked (though, yeah, I was around 5, so I don't think I was chain smoking). Unfortunately, an uncle was murdered in the house I lived in and died in front of my siblings and me so, yeah, a bunch of kids definitely didn't want to stay there and we moved.

Regardless, much of this evolved into a love of fighting games and many social relationships developing around them (many of my friends right up into my Army days played fighting games, not counting you guys. Hell, most of them probably know SC when they see it just because of me). I contrast this with a lot of what I see today. It is not uncommon to encounter the "online pro". We all know 'em, the person whose sole purpose is to become a king in a sea of faceless people.

But I'm not even going to go on about that guy right now. What I want to address is us, period. One of the things I've noticed is different about the Chicago SC crew is that...we actually hang out and talk to each other outside of the game. I mean more than going out to eat sometime during the next local; there have literally been nights when we've called each other up to party. Hell, just about all of the Chicago crew was invited to my wedding and I love these guys (and you all, too, if you didn't know, how much you suck and piss me off online aside).

I contrast this with what I see and hear at tournaments. It's not uncommon to see two people playing in a dark room in complete silence, then getting up and leaving, as if clocking in and clocking out. Beside that, even, I've heard from some of the people within this very community (some you'd be surprised), that they don't speak to people within their local community much less 'hangout'. I wouldn't be surprised if some people are afraid to talk shit while playing because they're afraid (hell, I can say that things almost escalated between two parties that will not be named because a player was talking shit to me once but I wasn't offended and actually LIKED it).

Now, honestly, I don't know what to write after any of that. It's just a bunch of observations I've had. It seems like we've traded accessibility and mass appeal for some more intangible thing. What do you guys think?

Also, if you didn't know, if I'm not doing anything (and not dead ass tired) and we're at these tournaments, you've got a friend in me, dewd.

D1o3b8Z.gif

Well, society in general has become a lot less social with the advent of the Internet. There's always idiots saying "BUT GUYS, THE INTERWEBS CONNECT US ALL CLOSER TOGETHER THAN BEFORE LOL," but we all know this is bullshit. The Internet is becoming more and more like an alternate reality, with people having online personas and online friends. Go to any college campus and you'll notice nearly 50% of all people outdoors are browsing the Internet or IMing on their phones. This phenomenon is becoming more and more apparent with younger generations: kids these days ask their parents for their smartphones to play shitty games regardless of the occasion, even when there's other kids around for them to play with. It's pretty sad.
It's not uncommon to see two people playing in a dark room in complete silence, then getting up and leaving, as if clocking in and clocking out. Beside that, even, I've heard from some of the people within this very community (some you'd be surprised), that they don't speak to people within their local community much less 'hangout'.
Does this happen mostly with the younger guys? Maybe it's because they're from the generation that grew up too late to know of the arcades or LAN parties, so their experience with video games has never been much of a social one to begin with.

"BUT GUYS, THE INTERWEBS CONNECT US ALL CLOSER TOGETHER THAN BEFORE LOL," but we all know this is bullshit.
I don't think this is necessarily true. Back when MySpace was still a thing, I met someone through our common love for Tales of Symphonia. But we didn't know each other in real life until college happened, and fate saw fit to unite us there. Years later, she remains one of my best friends.

In a more recent example, I went to UFGT9. This was the first time I had ever traveled so far. And I went there not just to play a game, but to meet the people that I had been playing with online. I was so happy to meet Bibulus, Jan, Delta, Hawkeye (missed LP, darn), and even Fenris. My tournament performance was predictably shitty, but meeting people in real life that I had only known online before then made it worth it.

Online social life can create new links, but they're hollow. You have not seen these people before, heard their voices, or talked to them face to face. Stood within the same room as them. It falls upon us to pursue these hollow links and make them whole. Too many people are satisfied with not doing so.

Online social life can create new links, but they're hollow. You have not seen these people before, heard their voices, or talked to them face to face. Stood within the same room as them. It falls upon us to pursue these hollow links and make them whole. Too many people are satisfied with not doing so.
Interesting perspective. Reminds me of this:

Reactions: TiZ
I find this interesting. A question regarding this; if one were to create an online persona, or online alter ego character, under the veil of a username, and this character is intentionally different then the person's true self, should the person still be held accountable and be judged as a person for what the online alter version of him says?

That said, should people judge others by what they say online under a username in this "alternate reality" as you put it, or reserve judgement for how the person actually is in actual reality?

So like the time I put you in a trash bag and then you came here under your online persona and essentially told the whole community to screw off, and that you would not be back.

I guess this is your way to justify the stuff you did, so that you can weasel your way into the community. You still owe me 30 dollar .

Right, you hate him based on his online persona, but if you met the guy in person would you still judge him the same based off your online perception of him?
Online anonymity is nothing but a magnifying glass, often cast upon people's true selves.

Unless you're pretending to be retarded to make people angry, like some people I could name.

The reason why fighting game tournaments aren't very social is simple!!

Think of it this way, when you train for MMA, Football, or any type of sport, you're in the gym, with a team, away from home, training. When you're training for a fighting game tournament all you're doing is sitting in your basement on a couch playing a video game over and over and over again to get great at it. That type of social segregation doesn't breed the most "social" types of people. Look at Daigo, he's a tournament champion but he's about as social as a brick wall. You can name off a bunch of fighting game players who trash talk a lot to get "hype" for matches but they just end up coming off as an online-douche bag. Because you're either a douche bag loser to people online, or you'll also be one to be people offline. Either way, you'll be a douche bag, lol!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the thing that makes fighting games more community oriented is when you have "Teams", like an overall ranking, then it gets more competitive and you feel more obligated to help others within you team!

Other wise it's just like you're going to a tournament fighting for no one but yourself. If you have a team it adds more to the victory of things. It's a big reason why Call of Duty and Halo tournaments are popular because it's social interaction and how you work well with others... >:D

Times have changed. However, I always consider smashing someone's face in and letting them smash mine back while smack talking more of a bonding thing now. I don't smack talk in person unless I'm comfortable with you to do some. More times I'm so timid to start stuff worrying is the person gonna fight me back in forth and just chill with me later and repeat.

Here's what I detest most, people who want to win no matter the cost and they take up a persona that's hard to defend instead. Aka the tough guy. When I beat said tough peeps and they get pissy and such. I can understand getting sore from me, but when they get petty with me it's when the unnecessary drama starts. Almost as if unless they're winning, I can't be in the same room with them because I'm trash. Even to the point where I'm used to them ducking my simple runback, since they be petty and spineless.

Sure I haven't been offline, but I wouldn't want to play anyone like those online peeps. All I know is if I were near your house LostProvidence, I'd actually be playing you guys and dumping online unless I have the urge to see who is fearful and deserves recognition.

Certain people lost what's more important: compete to win yet have fun. Sure losing sucks, but I wouldn't mind it as much if certain people weren't like those online idiots I detest. Certain peeps should be more like Ash Ketchum or something.

-Pocky Yoshi

P.S. Ever tried Lemon with Hot Cheetos?

Last edited:
The Internet is becoming more and more like an alternate reality, with people having online personas.

This is painfully true:

The combination fighting games and the anonymity of the internet creates an atmosphere where that person feels they could say and do whatever they please, things that they would never dream of doing in any real life setting. Win or lose, a conversation in the aftermath of a match is summed up in this accompanying picture. It also covers a good number of forum interaction.
1466222_580850911969700_1048297630_n.jpg

This is painfully true:

The combination fighting games and the anonymity of the internet creates an atmosphere where that person feels they could say and do whatever they please, things that they would never dream of doing in any real life setting. Win or lose, a conversation in the aftermath of a match is summed up in this accompanying picture. It also covers a good number of forum interaction.
View attachment 36287
I agree, call him a faggot.

I would say it's redefining what it means to be social, as did the transition from snail mail, to phone communication, to cell phones, to what we have now. With current tech, we can fulfill our social and practical needs without ever needing to leave our comfort zone, thus making us ask, "Why should I talk to someone face to face, when I can do the same thing over IMs/txting/facebook/etc?" A friend I spoke to about this even said, "Nobody calls anyone anymore, they txt each other". It's all a matter of changing norms, and overtime, people will figure out how to blend the different into a coherent whole, and lead balanced lives. As we need to understand how to communicate online, so must we remember what it means to communicate offline

Back