Best way to record?

IvyFanboy

[11] Champion
What's the best way to record a match? I have Ps3 and I don't have a video cam. is there a way to capture it?

Honestly.. the best way to record matches is to use a capture card.. pretty much it's either an external box (that hooks up to your computer via USB) or a PCI card that goes directly in to your computer with A/V cable to be sort of like the "middle man" to capture the video..

I'm pretty sure if you just google "PC video capture card" you'll be able to find things in regards to that.
Most big electronic stores sell them too, like best buy...
make sure you have a large harddrive to store the initial video though because raw video files can be quite large prior to compression

If I could record my matches, I'd take one of two routes:

• Expensive Route (Lagless capture) $399 + PC
    One of These hooked up to the PS3, HDTV, and Capturing PC

And This for my PC to capture component HD signals. Don't forget a LARGE hard drive for this.
  • Cheaper Route (Lagless capture)$65 to 100+
    This or This (don't forget to split the audio somehow) and an analog capture card. Any cheapo USB capture card is fine with this route because you could find better third-party capturing software from the net.
  • Cheapest Route (Possible Lag capture) $varies
    Using a good computer and good capture card to both capture and play in real time. I've done this with my notebook and DoA2U on the xbox and didn't experience noticeable lag. Then again, I only tried it for two minutes so maybe there would be some problems after continued use with this route.

The really cool thing about the first two options is that you could hold a tournament and have matches stream over the internet via justin.tv using direct feed. No more ghetto live camera feeds!

Hope this helps. :sc2sop2:

I have another setup at home with Hava Platinum HD

Hook the Hava between your console and TV with component, and then on your network, On your computer you install hava software to be able to record the streaming video. (max 480p)

hmm think that's too much effort and money for this project then. Ty tho

Lol, that's only the first bit, then you have to edit the video (adding music, other things like intro/outro, cutting out things that you don't want/need) then compress the video to a decent size.. and go from there with it

The Hava Platinum HD isn't actually HD... its false advertising... This is how I do it...

workflow.gif

$100 - AV4000COMP
$350 - BlackMagic Intensity Pro
+ Computer and free software
$200 - 1.2 TB 2-Drive Raid0 Array
$250 - Cineform Intermediate

You can do it without the Cineform Intermediate, but then you'll need a Raid0 array with about 6 drives in it.

Lol, I once just ran my PS3 through my DVD player and recorded on a CD-R for a combo vid; certainly not lagless though. >_<

yeah. Editing no problem. I'm a skilled Flash user and have mild experience with after effects and final cut pro. Just with PS3 had a record option.

Just wanna point out that if you have a 360 you can save more than $100. Use Jaxel's method above but instead use a $70 HDMI splitter and a regular Blackmagic Intensity (non-Pro). 360 games don't use HDCP and PS3 games do. I don't think I'm wrong on this but if I am please correct me.

HotRod lol it would be a bit easier to read if the top part was noted to be the hardware setup and the bottom part was the software end.

Back