BlazBlue - GuiltyGear's next gen cousin

ShinobiBrown

[10] Knight
In case you aren't aware, BlazBlue is the next big 2D fighter coming from the hands of Arc System Works. It's being developed for the Taito Type X2 arcade system board with a 16:9 ratio and 720p resolution.

This game uses 4 attack buttons, light, middle, heavy, and drive. The drive button's function varies between character as each character has unique special abilities. Grabs are preformed from pressing middle and heavy at the same time. Double jumps and aerial dashes are still in (yay). There is only going to be a total of 10 characters (with a roster that small, I'm going to pray this game won't have balancing issues)

The game is rumored to be a PS3 exclusive. Although I'm pretty sure that rumor is going to fall flat on it's face eventually. They just recently revealed all the characters in the game.

BlazBlue Trailer -

I'm definitely looking forward to this game since it's pretty much next gen GG (or, I guess I can say THIS gen now, can't I). I'm going to main Jin, because he's essentially just Ky with ice, though Shishigami looks fun as well if only for being totally outrageous.

On the subject of exclusivity, I'm sure BB will at least be a timed-exclusive, initially only coming out on PS3 and maybe coming out on another system a year or so later.

It looks nice, and I am looking forward to it, but it will not replace GG until I know characters have moves named after Metallica Albums. :[

10 characters is small, but if it is anything like GG, later installments will add more characters.

The characters look like generic anime cliches, uninspired and undetailed. I'll wait for another Guilty Gear.

The game looks really good. Altough slower than GG. I think the characters look good except the Ky and Sol clones. Or Should i say Ryu and Ken lolll. Come on, im tired of that 2 main guy opposite personnality friendship shit.

The characters look like generic anime cliches, uninspired and undetailed. I'll wait for another Guilty Gear.

Well then have fun with GG2 Overture for the 360 because that is the direction Daisuke wants the GG series to go in now.

I'll admit the GGXX cast is far more interesting than BlazBlue is terms of art design (minus the rack load of pointless belts and buckles), but that's about it. Everything else about them was pretty generic with the exception of Potemkin, Zappa, Faust, and ABA.

Anyway, I, too, have noticed that BlazBlue's gameplay is slower than Guilty Gear, but I don't really see that as much of a flaw.

So far I'm only interested in two characters in this game who I plan on playing with, Noel and Arakune

It looks nice, and I am looking forward to it, but it will not replace GG until I know characters have moves named after Metallica Albums. :[

10 characters is small, but if it is anything like GG, later installments will add more characters.
The music references are definitely fun (Ride the Lightning and it's ilk), but I'm not too sure on waiting for a new 2D GG installment since the rumored troubles with SEGA and the fact that Daisuke seems to want to work on 3D installments like he originally intended.

And for some reason, the ten character roster doesn't seem that small to me. I don't know why, it just doesn't seem that small.

10 Characters is small, but as long as they are very dynamic and different it works. I have no problem with Virtua Fighter's cast, or Choi DBZ, and they both had pretty small casts as well. HnK also had a small cast, and it worked for that game.

I do admit that the character designs seem either like rip offs of GG designs, or generic anime characters. The game Sol and Ky, and the big guy who I have deemed as "Not-Potempkin".

Cat girl and girl with cat clothing, come'on...

The game still looks like it will be fun, but for the moment, I wouldn't mind sticking with Accent Core.

Daisuke seems to want to work on 3D installments like he originally intended.

Any word on whether or not he wants to do a 3d fighter? Or just more games like Overture? It'd be interesting to see if someone can finally take a 2d franchise and make an actual functioning 3d fighter out of it, instead of just 2d fighters on 3d planes like KOF MI and the SF EX series.

Any word on whether or not he wants to do a 3d fighter? Or just more games like Overture? It'd be interesting to see if someone can finally take a 2d franchise and make an actual functioning 3d fighter out of it, instead of just 2d fighters on 3d planes like KOF MI and the SF EX series.

Agreed, though I think the biggest problem so far is the translation of "special moves" into 3D. Mechanically doing something like a fireball motion doesn't work when you can move in 3D space :/

Although BlazBlue does still interest me. I really couldn't care less how original or not it is, so long as it retains the same tight gameplay :) I do agree that it looks a little slower than GG but that would be a good thing for me, considering how much I suck at the game despite it being my favorite fighter.

This game is hype reincarnate. I'm most interested in this out of the new bunch. People said about the low number of characters but look how unique each and one of them are after seeing some match vids.

Why don't they just call it GG3 already........It looks exactly the same.

Either way I plea guilty to playing/buying this asap.

It plays a little like Guilty Gear but not really. I have the luxury of playing this game at my friends' place whenever I'd like. It really is beautiful and the detail is amazing. It has a lot of unique stuff not seen in any 2D fighter yet (mainly okizeme stuff).

A console release is VERY far off and I wouldn't count on it being exclusive to one system.

Thanks for linking those vids mudah. My god I wanna try the game T_T Particularly after three. Litchi (wtf, how fruity BADUMCHING) looks like a GG version of Donovan :O And is a infinite% upgrade over Buri >_>

It plays a little like Guilty Gear but not really. I have the luxury of playing this game at my friends' place whenever I'd like. It really is beautiful and the detail is amazing. It has a lot of unique stuff not seen in any 2D fighter yet (mainly okizeme stuff).

A console release is VERY far off and I wouldn't count on it being exclusive to one system.

You got to play it?!

Well, there is no better opinion of a game than playing it. By looking it, it seems to have similar, but different gameplay. The resolution looks nice just on these videos, the game must be absolutely beautiful on a good TV.

I have heard from several sources that it is supposed to be aneclusive PS3 release, but so was VF5 at some point, so I completely agree with you there.

Some people might not care what it looks like in design and stuff, but the immersion effect is key for some games. It won't stop me from playing it, but I will admit that I might have liked a game like Arcana Heart more if it had more than like 12 year school girl characters. Blazeblue doesn't impress me there, but I haven't been disapointed with the gameplay of an Arc Systems fighter yet, so I bet it is still good anyway.

I'll probably give this game a go when it comes to consoles.

I've never played a 2d fighter seriously but this one looks interesting. I probably would have gotten into GG if I wasn't intimidated by the technical curve.

Only 10 characters is a good thing imo. The characters in GG games played very differently from one another, no? Ten characters means there is less balancing work to be done and more room to differentiate all the characters from one another.

I'll have to be sure not to get too excited though. 2009 is still quite a ways off. :P

10 characters is enough. Look at SC now. Too many copies of copies and some are just plain boring or poor. It's a great game, but I wouldn't mind seeing the roster cut down.

I loved GG and this game looks good. I do agree half of the roster looks mediocre, but the other half is pretty interesting. And then again, a large part of the SC roster looks mediocre and uninspired as well. At least to me. Yun Sung, Kilik, Soph, Cassie, Seong Mina... Boring design in my opinion.

Back