CaS' i made.

DokuganRairyu

[10] Knight
Um....yea...im not very good at this. I've been lurking around on this board and have seen some great CaS' from the people on here, i have made some CaS' as well and would like to hear your opinions on them. I'd really appreciate that :)

So, here we go

Vetala: The corpse of a young man that got possesed by a Ghost. After a long and difficult battle over the control of the body, the Ghost defeated Vetala and claimed his body. But Vetala's desire to protect his family and village got through to the ghost and now the corpse acts a guardian for the village, protecting it from anything that pose a threat to it. Note the Vetala is actually a being from Hinduism mythos, while most are evil some of em are good. Btw Vetala is from an alternate reality from the year 26th century.

SOULCALIBUR.png

SOULCALIBUR_2.png

Megara: She doesn't really have a background or anything...just a description of what i was going for while making her. It will be like this for most characters. I was going for a split personality type of character, one side is supposed to be an evil, gothic and reckless type and the other side is more of a classy, bratty and cunning type of character . I tried to express the split personality in her design, she's a thief btw.

SOULCALIBUR_4.png

SOULCALIBUR_5.png

Spero: No story really, just trying to make a demon-ish character.
The cogwheel is there tho to empower his punches, he can use his ultimate attack when they start to spin.

SOULCALIBUR_7.png

SOULCALIBUR_8.png

Regime: Just a tribute to something very dear to me from my childhood.
She's supposed to be a albino cheetah :) Note: i couldn't get spots on her face but Cheetah's more than often don't have em on the snout but more on the far end of their cheeks, receding to their neck.

SOULCALIBUR_9.png

SOULCALIBUR_11.png

Pretty guy: I forgot his name at the moment but i'll edit it in later on lol
He is my attempt at making a handsome, sexy looking guy.

SOULCALIBUR_15.png

SOULCALIBUR_17.png

Amiri: She is an elf who got banished from her tribe because of the sunmark on her back foretelling that she is the one who will destroy the elf race.
Because of this, she has lived alone for as long as she can remember until one day...
She happens to come across an old woman from here tribe and she explains her everything about her existence.
Filled with rage and a lust for vengeance on the elf people she kills the old woman and she now seeks to eliminate all of the elves from the face of the planet.

SOULCALIBUR_24.png

SOULCALIBUR_25.png

SOULCALIBUR_26.png

Crono: Crono from Chrono Trigger, this game is 1 of the best RPG that i have every played, so naturally i felt the need to make a tribute/cameo for/of him.

SOULCALIBUR_18.png

SOULCALIBUR_20.png

I have made more and there is one that i want to edit bec i've just recently discovered a method of making clothes look a little worn so im going to edit that character and post him as the 1st character of the next batch. These are the characters i made in a chronological order.
Im gonna post more some time later this week or the next most likely.

Plz, comment and i'd like to hear everyone's opinions, good or bad.

Hey Dokugan ^_^ Cool that you put your stuff up, many people are way too shy to do that. If you want some advice, I think I can help a little. First of all, I see that you're a huge fan of the sticker and pattern systems! But your designs will turn out better if you reduced the stickers and patterns. You could use patterns on the main parts of the costume or to highlight the other pieces. Same with the stickers. Less is more ;)
Also, try to create some uniformity with your colors. A basic color scheme (imo) would have 3 colors. Of course that isn't the limit but it's a good place to start.
With that said, I really liked some of your source concepts. Hindu mythology is always nice ;) Your use of the bat wings on the blonde dude's clothing was awesome too! Hope to see more ;)

I have to agree with the others you need to rethink your use of patterns and stickers sometimes less is more
But!!! having said that they are still very good designs you just need to refine them. I really liked the your use with the bat wings, ingenious!

@Kira
Thank you for the tips Kira. This was my first experience with the sticker and patterns system so i decided to make some characters (1,2 and 4) ridicoulus with patterns and stickers everywhere lol
I did not use a basic color scheme for those characters, but i did for the others i think. I am infact a Hindu so i decided to incorporate some of it's Mythos on a character of mine and tnx i try to get creative with the special equipments.

@NeclordX
Hmm...yeah....the thing is that i don't like to leave a part looking bland, but i did tone it down alot on my newer characters. But you mean that the colors clash with each other? like the Blonde guy has a color scheme of Red, Pink, Black and Grey...those colors clash? plz explain in further detail.

I think you guys will like my newer characters more :) Btw so the colors are the main problem? Any comments on the designs on some characters?

@Matty
I will get back to you later, i have an appointment right now. Thanx for the compliment and critisiscm(This goes to Kira and Neclord as well) , it'll help a lot when i make newer CaS'

Everyone said what was said. The only input I like to add sometimes is soften the colors a bit. Sometimes a dull brown can make a difference besides......a bright red glove for instance. Pardon my post.

@Matty
Ok. Yes i know that but if u are talking about the 1st, 2nd and 4th CaS than it was my intention to make em look weird and ridicoulus in the color's aspect. I think it's more obvious that i was only categorizing parts with parts with the other characters, like Amiri where the skirt, top, gloves and shoes are scaled to make it look like....scales :) like she's not wearing fur or cotton but she's wearing scales to protect herself. Stuff like that. About the the Bat wings, it's not really genius or original bec i was just trying to imitate the tails of Raphael's 2nd costume.

@Pocky-Yoshi
Yea, to emphasis the fullness of the brighter equipment right?

So, here's the next 13 CaS' i made, just to note that i've only made 1 more new guy (Black and White guy) after i posted this topic so i haven't used many of the tips that i got in this topic yet.

Vanitas: T'is always the young ones that have to endure a lot of stuff in their lives (well in fantasy worlds atleast), Vanitas is one of those cases.
Being born as a werewolf, he was hated by the people among him except for his parents and older brother. Being the kindhearted lad that he is, he always tries to what in his view is right until one day...... He finds his parents' crucified and burnt corpses hanging outside his house, this causes him to black out and when he wakes up he finds that everyone in the village that he lived in got sliced into
chunks of rotting flesh. Realizing that he was the one that caused all this (even his parents death, bec his existence is why the other villagers killed them) he starts to feel at unease with the new murderous intent in his mind, nevertheless he had to find his brother and see if he's alive.
Not being able to find his brother's corpse, Vanitas assumes that his brother is alive and he goes on a journey to find him.
SOULCALIBUR-1.png

*Insert Darth Vader NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! here*

Sazen: Having lost her left eye and everyone she ever cared about as a child (age 8) during the massacre that took place during Nightmare's ressurection be4/during? SCIII, Sazen was filled to the brim with thoughts of revenge.
That's when she met Setsuka, Setsuka took Sazen under her wing and teached her the Shinden Tsushima-ryu Battojyutsu so she can take her revenge on Nightmare.
Sazen trained under Setsuka for 1 year be4 her teacher went out on a quest for revenge on her own, in the meantime Sazen kept on practicing her technique's until het teacher returned.
Another year had gone by and Setsuka finally returned without having exact her revenge, she tells Sazen that revenge is something only weak-minded people bear.
The two traveled to Istanbul where Setsuak opened her orphanage and continued to teach Sazen the Shinden Tsushima-ryu Battojyutsu along with her new student, Patroklos.
Blablabla Sazen and Pat became friends, blablabla 13 years later Sazen left to explore the world, heard Nightmare is alive again, set out to kill him.
SOULCALIBUR_25-1.png

A shame that there was no samurai kimono dress to use (well any decent ones), so i had to resort to the princess dress wich looks the closest to what i envisioned.

Kanon X: No real story here...just a demon princess who didn't want to be the queen so she ran away from home.
I actually made her in SCIV as a teenager (17 years old) where she used Talim's style and she looked and acted a lot more reserved.
Guess something happened to her that made her become queen and act more evil @_@.
SOULCALIBUR_23-1.png

The tats are there to osbcure the lily thong as i intended her to be naked from the waist down. The voodoo greaves are actually her bones protruding from her flesh (think wolverine) to act as leg armor.

Sid: I made him in SCIV actually, first as an adult pirate and later i edited him and made him into a younger (20 years old) version of himself that was a royal guard of....whatever.
His story is a little more complex and i kinda forgot what it exactly what it was...so here's a summary. Sid is married and expecting a child from his wife, he goes off to salvage for treasure so he can take care of his family.
He comes back after 2 months and sees that the city he was living in got raided and destroyed by an neighbouring state but the king repelled the raiders in the end.
His wife and the child that she was carrying died, depressed by this he started living like a shut-in until he hears of Soul Calibur and it being able to do anything the user wishes for.
He looks for it, finds it, wishes to go back to the past so he never meets his wife. His soul and memories get transported to a teenage version of Sid and he does whatever he can to avoid his wife but to no avail as the 2 fall in love again.
This time tho they go live somewhere else and everything stays peaceful, they get a healthy daughter and Sid turns into somewhat of hired force...uh he does pretty much any job for the right price (Think, the Yorozuya from Gintama).
SOULCALIBUR_21-1.png

Note: I plan to kill him off in the next installment of SC (If there'll be one atleast) and let his daughter take over.

Xero: Gender bender of a character i made in SCIV. They share the same color scheme, covered faces and being lightly armored.
I wanted to give her a classy voice like the CaS Yuri voice from SCIV's but they didn't have any.
SOULCALIBUR_18-1.png

Lilli: Tried to make a cute girl, you can tell me if i succeeded in that.
SOULCALIBUR_16-1.png

Suzaku: Just a hommage to Hiryu no Ken's Suzaku although i only took the color scheme and evilness, for the clothes i was going for a bounty hunter-ish look.
SOULCALIBUR_17-1.png

Christina: Tomboy bounty huntress who doesn't take crap from anyone. The End.
But seriously i have no bio for her, the 1st sentence is pretty much what i had in mind while making her.
SOULCALIBUR_13-1.png

Tybalt: Ancient knight who spent years mastering the arts of weapon based combat, i think he doesn't age anymore...i dunno. (Kilik Style)
SOULCALIBUR_11-1.png

Tryl von Sia: Vampire who likes to hunt her prey down...with all sorts of weaponry while still trying to look classy. (Elysium Style)
SOULCALIBUR_9-1.png

BLARGH!!!!(No joke, that's his name): What can i say....Randomness...i saw the skull from uh...Chobek was his name i think, so i replicated and gave it Yoshi's style.
Seeing how Yoshi's style is so random, i decided to do the same and pick parts and colors at random (with mah eyes closed lolol) and this is what the result.
SOULCALIBUR_7-1.png

Kajibana: Assassin lady. Her white skintight spandex suit emits a blinding light at the whim of her thought, this can blind her as well so she's grown accustomed to fighting with her eyes closed.
Needless to say, she assasinates people whenever the hell she feels like it. She's not evil by any means tho, she's just doing her job.
SOULCALIBUR_4-1.png

I wanted to make her legs look long, too bad this CaS system doesn't allow that :(

Freed: Ah, my first go at the jeans pocket sticker thingy that changes the texture of clothes. I pretty much based this on Jio Freed because....well he's Jio's a cool guy :)
SOULCALIBUR_2-1.png

The sticker mirroring in this game, makes me want to vomit...i had to use 4 stickers on his left leg just to get the whole thing filled up without it MIRRORING ON THE !@#$%^& RIGHT LEG! If anyone *coughMattycough* knows of a better way to do it, plz tell me.

So yea tell me what you guys think :) Btw Matty, you said that i should refine my designs. What excatly did u mean by that? like could u give an example?

*applause* Nicely done! That's a huge improvement! ^_^ Many of these look really good now.
Vanitas : I like the design idea and the pseudo werewolf claws. Very creative ;) Small piece of advice - try changing the color of the chain around his upper body. It's hard to notice even if it's a good addition.
Sid : Story is very cool ;)
Suzaku : Wow, I love it! ^_^ That color scheme is perfect. I never thought you could make that color look badass! The gold looks perfect and even the hair color! Y'know what, it's just a great design, I'll leave it at that. In fact, I tried to make a bounty hunter a few days ago (had pretty similar parts too) but I failed epically. -_-
Christina : Lara Croft ^_^
Tryl : Hmm... Not bad but when I think 'hunter vampire' that's not quite what pops up XD
Blargh : Ok, I get it, you were being random XD
Kajibana : Nice use of color and accessories again! Very cool design ^_^
Freed : Ooooh... pocket sticker *.*
(sorry for wall o text) These were great!

@Kirax
So my previous work was that bad huh? Lol just messing with ya. Anyway, thank you for the feedback.
I'll change the color of the chain, i don't know what color to change it into tho...any suggestions?
Lol i actually made most of those stories up on the spot, especially Sazen's and Sid's.
Hmmm....now that u mention it...have u posted any of your CaS' yet? I'd love to see em ^_^
Christina is actually heavily influenced by Revy from Black Lagoon (http://tinyurl.com/7nzzfc5)
Well to be fair, i was going more for a sophisticated vampire lady that owns a castle and stuff like that...but it wouldn't make much sense why she would know so many fighting styles lol so i just said that she's a huntress.
Thanx, does it look like she has long legs?
Yup, just some random stuff, i'll probably improve on him later.
Nothing to say about the others? I'd like any feedback, good or bad it doesn't matter.

@Dab
Thanks, how much more do i need to soften em tho? most of em are already at :5, or :3 lol

@Kirax
So my previous work was that bad huh? Lol just messing with ya. Anyway, thank you for the feedback.
I'll change the color of the chain, i don't know what color to change it into tho...any suggestions?
Lol i actually made most of those stories up on the spot, especially Sazen's and Sid's.
Hmmm....now that u mention it...have u posted any of your CaS' yet? I'd love to see em ^_^
Christina is actually heavily influenced by Revy from Black Lagoon (http://tinyurl.com/7nzzfc5)
Well to be fair, i was going more for a sophisticated vampire lady that owns a castle and stuff like that...but it wouldn't make much sense why she would know so many fighting styles lol so i just said that she's a huntress.
Thanx, does it look like she has long legs?
Yup, just some random stuff, i'll probably improve on him later.
Nothing to say about the others? I'd like any feedback, good or bad it doesn't matter.
Heh, I'd be a hypocrite if I said it was bad, lol ;)
The chain? Lemme see... okay, what if you tried changing the white parts of his weapons to a steel grey and then did the same with the chain? Try it out. Basically, just use some metallic colors. When I draft a color scheme, I'll use 2-3 main colors for the cloth and then set aside one for the metal parts (grey, gold, near - black, copper, brass) I avoid white on metal cause it looks unrealistic if it's too bright :/ Stick with natural metal colors and I find that my designs clean themselves up instantly XD
Story is something I look for in CaS too ;) Side effect of being an aspiring writer! When a story for a character is done well, it boosts their design (to me) that much more. Besides, it's just so much fun!
I'll probably post some of my characters in the originality thread... I'll make a thread for myself if I create a good amount ^_^
Tryl, okay, I get it but I thought more 'Bayonetta' style, y'know ;) Glossy leggings and all that XD Still, she looks like a vampire and that was the point.
Kajibana, She's beautiful! But if you really want that 'long leg' effect, you'd have to switch out the armored greaves for something more skin - fitting. :/ Armor makes things look stocky sometimes. But I like her design :)
Lol, I didn't want to assault you with a wall of text (it already was XD) Aaaand... I'm doing it again -_- Once I start talking, I can't shut up... Anyway, keep it up and have fun with it XD

@Pocky-Yoshi
Yea, to emphasis the fullness of the brighter equipment right?

I'll show an example by using my simple customs. Pardon my post.

When you use soft colors it's best to not to always intensify it all the time. Like jeans aren't super duper bright orange with tons of pink stickers. That makes it look tacky and silly(unless that's what you're going for). You gotta think how to make the jeans match without making them stand out too much.

Let me use my Hilde custom. This is soft colors and less design stuff. All I did was put a simple design on a shirt and build around it with the colors that could benefit for it.

h2-jpg.11479

I'm not always a sticker and pattern happy guy unless I feel it helps. Like most people say, less is more. It makes them feel natural.

Example two.
This is a Natsu edit. The colors may seem different, but they compliment each other imho. No super red glove hogging all the attention, just soft and gentle all around.
8-jpg.12097

Last example, I use my original, Fujo. All I did was patterned her dress but not the gauntlets and greaves. Imho, armor doesn't necessarily have to be stickered up to match the outfit. Thus, I wouldn't always go for it unless there's a reason to. Just some coloring to benefit each other and you're good.

f6-jpg.12000

In general, my trend is to keep my colors in the middle between not too intense yet gentle. Simple yet elegant. Long ago I'd "bright red and black" everything, but after seeing how good CAS artists play with soft colors with some slight intense patterns and all, I learned that too much matching on colors is too tacky.

Nitpicker:
Anyways Tybalt and Lilli catch my interest.

Tybalt should wear different greaves to compliment the decent top. Aside from that, knights aren't my speciality lol. Like the spikes on the greaves kinda mismatch the arms imho.

Lilli is cute in expression, but her colors are too......intense for a cute girl. Try pink, light blue, tea green or so for instance. Go for soft and gentle colors not crimson or dark purple unless you have a plan with them. Otherwise, cute makes me think soft colors that harmonize well.

Anyways, pardon Pocky Yoshi's nitpick.

@Kirax
I changed the chain to a grey color today and i'll see what i'll do with the weapon. I don't like keeping to the norm actually, so i would make armor blue or orange for instance.
Yea i like story telling a little as well but it's a little time consuming.
Are you nervous about posting your characters? I don't see the need to be nervous if you are bec everyone here seems nice @_@ and im sure you have some good looking CaS', seeing as how your tips are also helping me make better CaS.
Hmm...i've never heard of a vampire that wears glossy tight clothes, cept for the Blade vampires lol It didn't seem appropiate to me.
Ah im not gonna do that, bec i want her to have thigh armor. If there was a thigh customizing option than i would've given her something else for her feet.
I don't mind, i appreciate the help haha ^_^

@Pocky
So to see if i get it. The colors should be somewhat dull, light colors that aren't dark, the colors should be equally enamoring and somewhat realistic right? btw your Natsu recolor looks cool, i feel like i've seen it somewhere be4 tho @_@. About Fujo, u didn't need to pattern the armor because it already had patterns on it, putting any more would've made it look ridiculous. Hilde looks kinda boring to me.

Oh lol the spikes are supposed to match the ones Tybalt has on his chest armor :) and i wanted to use the Warthog boots.
About Lilli, the cute part was referring to her outfit (i should've mentioned that >_>) seeing how i can't stand overly cute lollipop characters. She is a sorceress so i gave her somewhat darker colors to match that and she's kind of a brat/biatch. Why do you keep apologising tho? Aren't i asking to be critisced @_@

I have made a samurai and with that guy i did implement most of the advice that i got here. I'll post him and maybe another character soon ^_^. I'm going to re design most of my characters as well bec a lot of them were just me playing around with the new system and i haven't unlocked every sticker/pattern yet.

I'm rather fond of Lilli and Kajibana. Yoshi posted some great examples about color usage, but I believe I have something contribute. When I make my originals (none of which I posted, so don't bother looking,) I like to start by sliding around the "all equipment" color tab so that my character is entirely white to entirely red. While monochrome certainly looks kinda silly, it allows me to cleanse my artistic palate and give me a solid color foundation to build off of.

Sometimes you equip a certain item without adjusting the colors and think, "Oh hey, I think that works with my outfit! But I think it's scrubby to leave the color the same, so I'm going to change it anyways!" That's when overbearing colors and patterns sneak in. You want to avoid that at all costs. Putting your character in monochrome is like working off a blank sheet of paper. I imagine Optimus Prime, Dante, and Deadpool, and Sol Badguy were all designed with a similar process, using red as the base color.

On the subject of color and pattern variation. It requires balance. If your color selection is very, very limited, feel free to splurge on textures and stickers. Note the classic wedding dress or Japanese Lolita fashion. If you plan to use a large spectrum of contrasting colors to make characters like Morrigan, you'll need to soften the colors. In SCV terms this means lowering the "Saturation" stat of your colors by pressing L1 on the PS3. This is one of the very few ways that you're gonna get orange gloves to go with a purple pants unless you're making the Joker. Keep in mind that sharply contrasting colors don't need to be desaturated if used in small quantities. For example, it's okay to give your yellow wolverine blue boots or your red magneto some purple briefs.

On the subject of character design. Rather than throwing junk together and adjusting them until they work, it helps to have some kind of image on your mind. Think Persian assassin, Venetian noble, Crusading knight, Satanic priest etc. This saves you time and gives direction to your creations.

I'm sure you've heard all of this shit before, but it certainly helps to remember these things the next time you're making characters like BLARGH!!!!

@Pocky
So to see if i get it. The colors should be somewhat dull, light colors that aren't dark, the colors should be equally enamoring and somewhat realistic right? .

Now you're getting it. But just to clarify.

The Hilde example of mine is a plain jane modern wear thing. So I'm not surprised if you find it boring. But, you can't deny it makes you think that certain girls may wear that in real life. At best I would think that's kind of a "back then" fashion of late 1990s-early 2000s modern ladies fashion.

The Natsu edit of mine is basically your best example on how I would rather see colors. Enamoring and somewhat realistic just as you say.

Fujo? No explanation needed because I believe you know what I mean.

The apologizing is just me being formal and somewhat timid with you because certain peeps I criticize, kinda flame me. Though it hasn't happened, I still prepare for it hence the formal timid attitude.

Now the elaboration nitpicks of constructive criticism...
Now Lilli imho doesn't give off a cute bratish sorceress feel. Instead, she looks to be a cute bland girl with a little too much stickers and patterns wielding an orb. Like pink ribbons with flowers with dark red just doesn't cut it. Kinda chokes up the whole custom because there's too much going on lol.

But since she's supposed to be Viola cute(if I were to guess correctly), try ripping the fashion designs from a gothic lolita since that's what Viola imho is classified to me. Lili from Tekken is cute yet not so lollipop ish. Not only that, she also is a gothic lolita except a different breed imho. So those two can help formulate designs for you if that's the type of "cute" you're going for.

Tybalt, well imho I still don't think the chest piece and greaves match at all. The spikes don't look like natural matches. Metal spikes with white spikes just feel a little unnatural with me. But if you're happy with it, then I leave it be. But if it were me, I'd probably replace the chest and greaves to match the arms, chain-mail shirt thing, and the helmet.

I think brucege and Pocky have got you covered ^_^ Unnaturally colored armor is good for the anime look! Eh, forget the glossy clothing and all that, I've been brainwashed by Bayonetta XD

@Brucege
Thank you that certainly helps a lot, i'll keep it in mind for my re-designs and new CaS. You like Lilli and Pocky dislikes her...what do you like about her than? maybe i can work out her weak points that way. Like Pocky said i'm going for a Lilli from Tekken kinda girl.

@Pocky
I sure can't deny that your Hilde's outfit looks like casual wear, wich is what you are going for :)
Hrmmm...i don't like to be realistic lol it sounds so boring....i like to use colors that are out of the ordinary. But i'll try and do it more realistic.
Ah, ok.
Hmm...yes i think the kind of girl i was going for was indeed a Lilli kind of girl. I'll try to rework it that way than and yea Viola is a goth loli.
I'll think it over about Tybalt. Thank you for the input.

@Kirax
Lol sometimes i am going indeed going for an anime-ish look, like with Kajibana. Personally i don't see the appeal of Bayonetta @_@

So, these are the first characters that i made where i took all of the advice that i got on here and put em to use on my characters. Enjoy and tell me what you think.

Kitsugen: No story, just a veteran samurai.
SOULCALIBUR_35.png

Sun Zhilang: Sun Wukong's daughter, atm she's traveling accross the celestial plains with her friends.
SOULCALIBUR_34.png

Pyung Hwa: Korean Farmer girl that knows kung fu...she has Lexia style so i was obligated to max her boobies tho. I think it's pretty obvious wich popular character influenced her design.
SOULCALIBUR_31.png

Sundari: This here is Sundari, she's a moon fairy that got abducted from her home town and was about to be sold off at an auction of mythical creatures.
But all of a sudden a bunch of pirates stormed in, kicking the asses of all the auctioners because their mermaid friend was being held there as well.
Using this distraction, Sundari fled the place. This is how she looks like during the getaway.
SOULCALIBUR_28.png

I actually wanted to give her the spiked neck collar as well but couldn't bec of the wings.

Unagi: I based him off of this bec well...it gave me nightmares when i was a kid lol: http://www.2d-x.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/mario64.jpg
SOULCALIBUR_26-1.png

Back