Viola Video Discussion

Ok, this is about 5 hours old sadly I have improved since this. Hit with your tips. I am failing at keeping the heat on people.

VS 8A+B is rather safe, actually.
I dunno, I think it's really only good to surprise people who are running in. Otherwise it's pretty easy to sidestep, in which case you'll be eating a heavy axe to the face.

EDIT:

Every viola main needs to watch this.​

Archive of Bibulus playing SCV

A good video, but if anything it helps highlight Viola's weaknesses, Viola was getting guard crushed way too often for my liking, it just shows that she has a lot of problems with dealing with pressure.

His use of spacing and timing is really impressive though.

Ok, this is about 5 hours old sadly I have improved since this. Hit with your tips. I am failing at keeping the heat on people.

Gotta use that meter! 44A BE catches out so many people, and even if they block all the hits, you are still in an advantageous position. Around 1:40, you could have got an RO by using 6A+B after the 3b aab. I'd also like to see some more usage of 6B+K and 4A+B, when spaced correctly, these moves allow you to mount relatively safe pressure on your opponent.

Gotta use that meter! 44A BE catches out so many people, and even if they block all the hits, you are still in an advantageous position. Around 1:40, you could have got an RO by using 6A+B after the 3b aab. I'd also like to see some more usage of 6B+K and 4A+B, when spaced correctly, these moves allow you to mount relatively safe pressure on your opponent.

This is me trying to use more bar. I need to work on keeping the heat on them.

This is me trying to use more bar. I need to work on keeping the heat on them.
Did you open with the unblockable to just screw around?
Your no meter BnB when not trying to range them should be 3b, aab, 2A+B, 1A+B for 63 damage instead of the 3b, aab, 9k, 2a+B that you kept using which does 58 damage. Sure it s only 5 damage but you wind up with both better positioning to stay on them, and the extra damage. Didn't see as much 6B+K pressure as is probably warranted either. Though obviously viola is such a diverse character multiple styles can succeed.
Thats all that comes to mind from a quick watch of it.

**edit I put 6A+B pressure not the 6B+K I meant to type. Maybe that makes more sense now.

Hey, I'm fairly new to the SC series as a whole and looking for a lot of advice to help me improve my Viola and my gameplay overall. Here's a few matches; thanks in advanced.

The Viola who made 7th place at World Games Cup 2012 this weekend. This is the only video I can find and its in french. Hopefully someone uploads an english commentated one at some point maybe. But here it is.

Online players always try to side-step then charge in after a 6A+B. I've noticed that as soon as they start to charge 4A+B almost always stops them in their tracks. If 4A+B hits then 8A+B won't miss either. Plus, 8A+B buffers and can be initiated before 4A+B ends without disrupting it.

That Viola wasn't really that impressive. The Maxi kept falling for Viola's 1A+B, all the rounds that the Viola actually managed to win were from ring outs. If he had actually known the Viola matchup he'd have known to avoid her A throw when against the edge and would block the low on reaction.

EDIT:

Pardon my language. But how the FUCK did that 13 year old kid get into winners finals with such a diabolically bare bones Viola?

That Viola wasn't really that impressive. The Maxi kept falling for Viola's 1A+B, all the rounds that the Viola actually managed to win were from ring outs. If he had actually known the Viola matchup he'd have known to avoid her A throw when against the edge and would block the low on reaction.

EDIT:

Pardon my language. But how the FUCK did that 13 year old kid get into winners finals with such a diabolically bare bones Viola?

I'm honestly pretty sure you're suffering from an actor observer bias. Like, Saitoh is one of the better players in the world. He's playing pretty solid here too. Viola isn't getting away with that much.

Also bare bones is often good in SC, tbh.

He got into top 8 because people don't know to duck the highs or step and punish. The people who did blew him up pretty hard as you saw when Ramon fought him. It's week 3 SC5, that kind of stuff won't fly later on down the line but for now it is essentially gimmick calibur. Every fighting game goes through this phase so don't sweat it. That kid has a the potential to grow into one hell of a player though if he sticks with the scene.

Casuals that got recorded of me playing some
http://www.twitch.tv/8wayrun/b/309008619 0-23 minutes in is me, another viola takes over after.

http://www.twitch.tv/bibulus/b/308820544 here is 4+ hours of me and Bibulus playing casuals right after i flew into town. A few times we will stop in a match real quick to test out a move property but other than that the rest of it is legit. If you have the fortitude to watch that much calibur more power to you.

http://www.twitch.tv/bibulus/b/308887364 A little Viola starter guide / interview thingy Bibulus wanted to make while I was staying at his place. It covers some general properties of Viola and a bit about orb pressure. This was not meant to be a in depth guide on the character, just more of a place you can get an idea for how she plays.

Let's pretend that's intentional and not a glitch

edit: those superelite matches were embarrassing to watch. Dropped combos and half mixups everywhere. Maybe tourney nerves?

While playing around with it I got it to work 3 times.

The Orb most be on the floor. When the 236236ABK hits the orb should be at their back heel(the foot that is far from you). If not you'll pop them up and they will get sucked back in. So best is to hit with the 8A+B 236236A+B+K (step forward if needed) and hit them with the 1a+b. I think it is a glitch from the sucking of the orb on 236236a+b+k make it to a slingshot/

Reactions: Cla
Yeah, I've seen the gravity effect from the orb do all sorts of weird things (though that one is probably the most hilarious, haha)

Back