Viola Video Discussion

PJS DBJoseph was schooling me must of the fight I got lucky. If anything let me know what I need to work on.

Edit: Also if anyone on XboxLive needs a Match Posted Just PM me.

Just a few comments greendusk, I like the 3B AAB 2A+B into wake-up pressure, but you should pay attention to the opponent's lifebar sometimes. At the end of the first round, you burn meter for no reason when you could have just 3B AAB 8K 2A+B to finish them off. If you were afraid of ringing yourself out with 8K, you could have just 1K or 2K as well. This doesn't seem to matter much right now as you don't seem to be comfortable with how to use your meter yet in combos or how to use your CE to setup more damage, but I feel like it's never too early to practice meter management.

After 8A+B, I don't believe it's safe to do 2A+B, you can get punished really hard for it because it doesn't combo and it takes too long to even force them to block so they could just step and blow you up.

Joseph was doing a lot of W/O BBB 6B+K which you can step guard and punish. That pressure requires the Viola player to guess what the opponent is going to do. 6B+K can either keep you pressured, if it hits can grant you a launch, but the safest thing to do is AA to catch the guard, but doesn't really lead to anything else. I haven't tested it, but you could honestly just walk up and throw them, but I believe even that is countered by 8A+B. She has an answer for every solution, however it's a different counter for each situation and guessing wrong leaves her vulnerable to counter and as the defender, I feel like it's in more of your favor since what she gets off of a right guess other than 3B pales in comparison to anything you can get off.

Viola is still a new character and obviously my opinions can be wrong, but that's what I've gathered so far from the character and the video of your play.

Well first thing I want to mention for you is the way create a soul works. Character height alters hitboxes, speed and damage. So by using a CAS with a different height then viola some things won't work as well anymore but others may work better.

Which is why alot of us just do a full customization of the original character. Thus her attributes stay the same, but we can still play barbie dress up so to speak.
I have a CAS Viola that I win with more than my customized original character. I hope your post doesn't deter people from experimenting with CAS. The outcome may be better than you'd expect.

Just a few comments greendusk, I like the 3B AAB 2A+B into wake-up pressure, but you should pay attention to the opponent's lifebar sometimes. At the end of the first round, you burn meter for no reason when you could have just 3B AAB 8K 2A+B to finish them off. If you were afraid of ringing yourself out with 8K, you could have just 1K or 2K as well. This doesn't seem to matter much right now as you don't seem to be comfortable with how to use your meter yet in combos or how to use your CE to setup more damage, but I feel like it's never too early to practice meter management.

After 8A+B, I don't believe it's safe to do 2A+B, you can get punished really hard for it because it doesn't combo and it takes too long to even force them to block so they could just step and blow you up.

Joseph was doing a lot of W/O BBB 6B+K which you can step guard and punish. That pressure requires the Viola player to guess what the opponent is going to do. 6B+K can either keep you pressured, if it hits can grant you a launch, but the safest thing to do is AA to catch the guard, but doesn't really lead to anything else. I haven't tested it, but you could honestly just walk up and throw them, but I believe even that is countered by 8A+B. She has an answer for every solution, however it's a different counter for each situation and guessing wrong leaves her vulnerable to counter and as the defender, I feel like it's in more of your favor since what she gets off of a right guess other than 3B pales in comparison to anything you can get off.

Viola is still a new character and obviously my opinions can be wrong, but that's what I've gathered so far from the character and the video of your play.

Thanks for the input. My bar using (More like fail) is due to my controller. You may have notice that i wiffed a lot of :2: :B: + :K: s and when I do it I fail to connect with the :A::A::B:

I have a CAS Viola that I win with more than my customized original character. I hope your post doesn't deter people from experimenting with CAS. The outcome may be better than you'd expect.
If it deters them or not wasn't the point. The point is things that may or may not work with a CAS may or may not work with a real viola. Many people are unaware of the changes to Speed, hitboxes, and damage. If you train yourself on your CAS timing, and then go play a real tournament with Viola you may find yourself at an unexpected disadvantage.

Greendusk you seem to suffer from the same problems I do in that you block far too much, in one sense that's good because DBJ's pressure was intense, but on the other hand that leaves you in a bad position and can lead to a guard crush, I hope you don't play this way against Xiba's and Nightmares. This game doesn't reward defensive play much, and as you saw from DBJ, Viola is actually pretty awesome at applying pressure if there is good control of the ball.

I must say watching DBJ's stuff has given me a lot of ideas and food for thought.

Greendusk you seem to suffer from the same problems I do in that you block far too much, in one sense that's good because DBJ's pressure was intense, but on the other hand that leaves you in a bad position and can lead to a guard crush, I hope you don't play this way against Xiba's and Nightmares. This game doesn't reward defensive play much, and as you saw from DBJ, Viola is actually pretty awesome at applying pressure if there is good control of the ball.

I must say watching DBJ's stuff has given me a lot of ideas and food for thought.

I can say that in most of my online fights I lose one round to a crush. With Xiba and Nightmare I tend to sidestep and duck.

Yeah, it really sucks and I'm trying to avoid blocking too much too, guard crush sucks hard for Viola. We need to pressure more with her. Sidestepping Xiba is easy but I'm still sorta having trouble with that for nightmare.

If it deters them or not wasn't the point. The point is things that may or may not work with a CAS may or may not work with a real viola. Many people are unaware of the changes to Speed, hitboxes, and damage. If you train yourself on your CAS timing, and then go play a real tournament with Viola you may find yourself at an unexpected disadvantage.
Thanks for the clarification. I really don't think that fact would deter CAS on second thought. It's too addictive. I don't plan on entering any tournaments but I am curious...are CAS's allowed in tournaments?

How could they be?
You know more than me...I've never geeked it up this much. I know nothing of the tournaments. As long as the character's not broken why not? It's not like CAS specs wouldn't eventually get out and shared. And even if they did, just because a CAS's attributes may compliment one user's style of play doesn't necessarily mean it will the next does it? Every player would be deciding for themselves whether or not to compromise one attribute for another. That's just one man's opinion. But I admit, I am completely ignorant of this world.

no i mean, how would you get your custom get on a tourney console?
I guess you didn't pick up on the fact that I'm ignorant of tourneys. Didn't even know they had their own consoles. So, I would be the wrong person to ask.

Did you think people would be bringing their own consoles. Each. So they could play with the CaS's?

I guess you didn't pick up on the fact that I'm ignorant of tourneys. Didn't even know they had their own consoles. So, I would be the wrong person to ask.
CAS is banned in tourneys due to things like if you put certain skirts on characters you can no longer see leg movements and other stuff that creates an unfair enviroment.

Did you think people would be bringing their own consoles. Each. So they could play with the CaS's?
Being ignorant of the subject means I don't know how they do it. If you want to get more speculation from someone as uninformed as myself I suppose bringing one's own console would be too problematic. Not only logistically but also for the potential of hacking and cheating. Maybe they have a PSN tourney and an XBL tourney. Maybe they do it like most sports and switch turf so no one has a home field advantage. I don't know what answers you want from someone who has repeatedly told you they know nothing on the issue.

Yeah, it really sucks and I'm trying to avoid blocking too much too, guard crush sucks hard for Viola. We need to pressure more with her. Sidestepping Xiba is easy but I'm still sorta having trouble with that for nightmare.

I have a friend that is really sick with Nightmare. I will record some fights and upload them

Registered for this site just to come say I suck. T_T

Also, I keep telling myself to not keep doing 8A+B. But people (including myself) still don't know to block both hits, so I keep doing it. D=

Registered for this site just to come say I suck. T_T

Also, I keep telling myself to not keep doing 8A+B. But people (including myself) still don't know to block both hits, so I keep doing it. D=
Its still good to do it occasionally, but yeah its not safe to use as a regular poke. Though I see lots of violas doing just that.

I do it and loads of her acrobatic moves a lot despite lack of safety. If you're gonna play a character like that you gotta be a bit stylish at the same time.

Back