Character Selection

Niichts

[08] Mercenary
The biggest problem I face in any game is sticking with characters. Since SCIV was released i've played with, i think, 14 characters as my "main". And right now I'm very undecided and can't pick a character. I play very well with many characters, but I haven't truly settled down to completely master a character.

Who is your main...and why?

Like every fighting game I play, I pick the cute character, in this one it just happened to be Cassandra. Am I the only one who picks characters based on how they look?

i first played sc2 at a friends house when i was a little less than sober, so i picked raph because i used to fence and i liked how he looked. then it turned out raphs exactly my style w/ how he controls range and has no complicated inputs (im that kid who gets a shoryuken on 1/5 attempts)

In games I usually pick the biggest and meanest looking brute you can find. Astaroth was the first character I chose when I didn't know anything about the game. I got my ass kicked by speed. Tried the whole roster and found Astaroths brutal moves and punishments to be the most statisfying.

I used Taki as a secondary because of the agility. It's quite the opposite, but for some reason I like that playstyle a lot.

After the shocking changes Asta went through in SC IV I was desperately looking for an alternative, but none of the other characters have the appeal Asta does. Some of the cast are just so bland and generic. Cassandra and Sophitia are top ranked? So what. They hold no fun for me. (The only exception is I prefer their fan art over Asta's :p )

Picking a character can be very hard. You need to like how the character looks, the style, the difficulty of inputs, the quantity of JFs (I'd love to use Setsuka, but can't get all the timings right for her) and so on.

I guess I was lucky that the first time I played Soul Edge (Blade? Can't remember how the PSX version was called) I picked a character that ressembled Eowyn (Lord of the Rings) and decided to go with her...till now.
I also picked Cervantes, because he was Spanish and all that. I loved their style, looks and so on, so till now, I've been using both.

Sometimes I added other mains (Talim in SC2, in example) but I always go back to these two, Sophitia and Cervantes.

Now I really wanted to learn with Hilde and I've spent many hours with her in offline matches, training, online ranked matches and player matches, but I just can't get the "thingy". I enjoy using Sophitia and Cervantes, while charges are a bit of an annoyance. Plus, when I play online, as Hilde, I got troubles punishing bad Kiliks/Siegfrieds/Cervantes, while with Sophitia or Cervantes the match will be 3-0 in barely one minute. When I play against my RL friends, they have no "fear" of Hilde and that allows them to win just too much. Once I'm using Sophitia and Cervantes, they know that sidestepping won't be avoiding the biggest threat, because there are many, and a very solid mixup game all around.

In any kind of game, I change often, but I always go back to my first pick. Like King and Armor King at Tekken (although I've used Nina for a long time too).

I tried learning characters that I wanted to be good at playing such as Zasalamel, Seung Mi-Na, and Raphael, but never found them as comfortable to play as Lizardman. I actually discovered Lizardman by accident too, never played him in SC1 and SC2, and only tried him in SC3 because I've never seen or heard of anyone who played him at that time...

My main in IV is Tira. The reason being I love her design and her new play style in IV reminds me faintly of ABA, who is my main in Guilty Gear. For the first few weeks upon SCIV's released, Tira was the only character I'd ever play with. I wanted to get used to her new play style and I love watching her GS 66K and WR B counter hit animations.

I later decided to pick Setsuka for the fact that I played her in III, along with Tira. Thing is, I never manipulated all the things that made her good in III, ie her JFs, Sakura Fury, etc., so I made it a point to learn them.

Cassandra was my main in 2 and 3. However, now that IV has come I'm having a lot more fun playing with Tira and Sets than I am with Cassandra so I decided to drop her, even though I still like her smart-ass character. I've gained interest in Amy and Lizardman from just messing around with them for the past few days.

Picking a new character for me was hard also, not because of The fact i didn't know who i wanted to use, but my play style changed since I played SC 2, where i was a die-hard Mitsurugi.

Tell you the truth, when i was looking for a new character to play with in IV, I was kind of at a bad seat, being a person who hated shields, Long Range, and and being hit period.

sadly, when i played first time against my nephew in this one, I decided to choose tira, and everyone at my house thought i was good with her, but I realized I was terrible with her within 4 matches. After that, they told me to try using Kilik, which i really didn't like much in the first place. i was better, but it wasn't me.

Then I picked Taki. Things changed then. I actually started beating my nephews again like I used to, and I could tell they were pissed I started using her. Now I use Taki almost every fight, with Setsuka being my new off-hand for fights against Shields-users.

hopefully i will beable to stick with her, because only character i ever stuck with was Ayane from DOA.

when i first started back in SC1 i used nightmare and i used him untill SC2 died out(tekken 5 release) then i went to Ivy. I dont really know why i played those two lol, I thought Nightmare looked cool but i have no idea about Ivy. Now i only play characters i think are cute like Hilde and Asuka from Tekken, their style doesnt bother me somuch as looks i could learn to play everyone but i get bored if i dont think the character is visually appealing.

I guess I was lucky that the first time I played Soul Edge (Blade? Can't remember how the PSX version was called) I picked a character that ressembled Eowyn (Lord of the Rings) and decided to go with her...till now.

xD that adds more frustration to this for me.
I have played since Soul Edge but I'm still indecisive. You'd think I'd have chosen somebody by now but I keep switching around.
At least I'm getting good experience with a lot of characters...making it easier to fight them.

I am most likely going to main Ivy and second Tira. Tira is alot better to play now. I picked her up in SC 3 because there is almost no players playing her at all.

Ivy has always been my main ever since I started out in SC2. She is nice to play as and with every new installation of her in new series, its a challenge to play her. I find playing Ivy very fun to play with...

I use Siegfried. I've been using his style primarily since Soul Calibur II (when he was the original Nightmare) because Maxi took a dive after the first Calibur. I am growing increasingly more proficient with The Apprentice (not as a cheapass, mind you, but as a legitimate character). Not the easiest character to use but I'm getting better.

I'm presently learning Nightmare, Yun-seong (both of them through my custom characters) and I want to maybe re-learn Maxi (again, through a new custom character I have yet to build).

The biggest problem I face in any game is sticking with characters. Since SCIV was released i've played with, i think, 14 characters as my "main". And right now I'm very undecided and can't pick a character. I play very well with many characters, but I haven't truly settled down to completely master a character.

Who is your main...and why?
I actually have the opposite problem. I have a hard time not choosing my main and have to force myself to really learn other characters. It's good that you can play many different characters, though. If I were you I'd just use a process of elimination, eventually dropping off characters you get bored of until you find that special one.

I picked Amy right off really, just kinda like eeny, meeny, miny, moe this is the one I'll play the most, lol. Seriously, umm... I generally just pick on appearance and personality. I believe the player ultimately defines the character as far as how they fight, be it turtle, attacker, or whatever. So I just pick someone I like and fits my personality.

What I like in a character that may help you think about the same.

1. Light hearted personallity in girls and the silent lonewolf personality in guys. I am light hearted and I'm one that likes to be left to myself, so a character that fits those fits me. I really don't care for the cocky, arrogant girls/guys. Huge turn off for me and why I don't play Yun-seong. Even though I think he plays pretty cool I can't get past his attitude.

2. Small characters because I'm small myself, I don't care much for the bigs and feel somewhat strange trying to play them.

3. Low tier because I just don't like wins coming easy to me. Amy is the exception right now, but I think she'll drop in tiers considerably when she is figured out.

I played a little bit of SCII but nothing really serious, however Im getting more serious now in IV I wanted to learn Ivy because of her versatility and sick attacks, but shes just too complicated for me as a new player, so I found Yoshimitsu at a friends house one day and he is just awesome. Im not really that good but he makes me enjoy the game more with all of his crazy antics!

I actually have the opposite problem. I have a hard time not choosing my main and have to force myself to really learn other characters.

xD
I dont know who is the lucky one.
I'm trying to stick with Setsuka now but every once in a while i still swerve off and start playing another character. Knowing me I probably wont be satisfied until I've played as every single one...I dont think I'm that far off.
However she does annoy me online... She becomes unreliable with a lot of moves.

I started with SCII maining Raphael, but I didn't play it much. I skipped SCIII, and coming into SCIV, I started playing Raphael and realized I liked Amy's moveset better. I also played a lot of Cassie before and I still like her. I also have a lot of trouble wanting to play characters other than my mains, which comes back to bite me in the ass when I don't know an opponent's moveset.

Niichts!

Good to see you posting.

I've had the problem settling on one character as well. My main in SC2 (the only other SC I've played) swapped between Raphael and Taki, while dabbling in Ivy whenever I wanted to try to beat myself up with her large-input throws.

In SC4, I've jumped mains a dozen times. I picked Raphael just to see what had been changed, and while the "new" Raphael didn't bother me, I wasn't thrilled with him either. An attempt at Taki was short-lived, just because she didn't fit my personaility anymore. Ivy's changes made it very difficult for me to work with (not that I don't think she's a solid character anymore, quite the contrary) so I've sinced swapped to maining Siegfriend and Amy playing second fiddle.

I remember picking sophie in sc2 because she was hot and so I picked her up again in 4, I usually pick chicks because I like watching chicks fight. How Astroth ended up as my main now I'll never know, maybe because he's just that awesome and I can imagine him raping my defeated opponenets with his awesomeness, male or female.

I am notorious for picking characters based on how they looked. I remember long before I got to play SC, I saw art for Mina and figured I would play her whenever I got the game (This was back when Soul Calibur first dropped on the Dreamcast). I however didn't get to play much SC until SC2 came out, I had it for the Gamecube.

After having to unlock her (Booo Namco), I found I didn't like playing with her much so I figured she could be my secondary character to play around with while I find someone else I liked to play as. After trying out some other characters, I decided to play Xianghua, whose design I didn't care a huge amount for (In SC at least). However I liked her design a bit more in SC2 (Red outfit ftw) and also discovered I really liked how she played. It was that lightbulb in the head moment when you find who fits your playstyle the best.

That's it as far as X goes. Talim, I forgot why I wanted to play her. I think I just decided she'd be my other main and that was the end of that.

Back