Controllers or Joysticks

KnightWarrior

[10] Knight
For Fighting Games..What do you use the most?

I'm used to a Controller

SNES, Genesis 6 & the Model 2 Saturn Pad

I just can't get in too Sticks if I tried.......

For Soul Calibur I use control pad and that's because I can do moves more consistently with a pad than with a stick. With Cervantes I can iGDR and iTP more consistently as note that for iTP the pad has the left analogue as another option of moving the character and I take advantage of both when executing iTP consistently.

The only advantage of the stick over the pad at least from my experience is breaking from throws more often.

I really believe this depends on preference. For me, I took it a step further and went for a HitBox which understandably wouldn't appeal to most people used to a stick, much less a pad.

All I will say is, don't let the large number of stick players fool you -- the controller doesn't make the player. If you want to go for a stick or stay in pad, do it for the right reasons (like you actually liking it).

When considering peripheral choice consider what is possible and what is convenience by preference. In the world of fight stick and controllers they are both capable of the same thing and it becomes a preference to comfort and accuracy. Players will use all sorts of obscure methods trying to find what suits them best and if it's working for you stick with it. Jumping to a new device will often not have immediate improvement as you need the muscle memory as well. It can also depend on the game. With fast 2D fights stick it generally preferred because the square gate and stick make it very easy to define a shoryuken from a haduken motion, with slower 2D like MK9 or 3D it is often divided as pads work very well. There's a lot of options and many interesting pad options as well such as PDPs one that uses an octagonal gate analog stick with microswitches.

Don't confuse this debate with one's like pad vs mouse/keyboard where one is superior since it can do things that are impossible for the other. The stick vs pad debate are purely preference based. Personally I swear by them, but I've seen amazing pad players.

Back