Dampierre Q&A / General Discussion

So yeah, America/Canada players, how's your Dampierre doing? Thoughts? (both off/online)

Ah, I might as well ask...

How's his RO game as a whole?
JF Kicks...same timing? Harder?
Any useful BE's
Does his CE only reverse High's/Mids and not lows, also unblockables?

That'll be all for now cheers!

AZ

so i've been playing this guy for a day now and I just can't see how this guy is not completely terrible. I mean I can win with him, but I could do so much better with just about anyone else. Was he this bad in BD? He does like no damage, hes not especially fast, and his range isn't so great either. His stances seem to be mostly gimmicky, and you don't even get much reward out of them anyways. Am I missing something here?

so i've been playing this guy for a day now and I just can't see how this guy is not completely terrible. I mean I can win with him, but I could do so much better with just about anyone else. Was he this bad in BD? He does like no damage, hes not especially fast, and his range isn't so great either. His stances seem to be mostly gimmicky, and you don't even get much reward out of them anyways. Am I missing something here?
I never played BD but he is really bad in SCV. So hard to win with the guy. I mainly open my opponents up with a spaced 623B or 8B+K. 33BK can catch people a lot too (for now anyway). After they try to out space me they get the Magnificent CE. 44K seems pretty effective on people when they try to rush in. Won a lot of fights that way lol.

Idk if people know this but his CE will work on post GI Air Flipping opponents.

Just Played him this morning quite a bit. Im sorry to report i think this guy is low tier. He does have some high damage combos with out meter but he cant combo with meter into anything. Basically you should save his meter for GI's and his CE. Anti step moves are awful. and random factor makes him gimmciky. I hope someone proves me wrong. however we may have to wait for dlc to be released to everyone.

I decided to try and make Dampierre one of my mains. As much as I want to play this guy, he may just be too terrible to play with. I've got more wins than losses with Dampierre, but that's only because no one knows how to block his poker bluff kick attacks on the ground. He has almost no mixup game aside from poker bluff into a low grab, or a high hit (these both go into that punching thing). His low attacks are slow, and have no range at all.

I also found that his CE will not work if the opponent is too far away. If someone like Xiba hits the GI, Xiba bounces away, but Dampierre does nothing.

623B and A+B are great for getting in, but if the opponent knows how to sidestep, Dampierre can't get in. His horizontal attacks are TERRIBLE. Since he's DLC, he's probably not going to be patched at all, which sucks.

I'll continue playing him in player matches, and see if there's anything we're missing about this guy.

Oh, and why are a bunch of threads locked?

Edit: there's no where to talk about gameplay for Dampierre since the threads are locked....?

I have been catching people with his 1A aGi a whole lot. I think I'm gonna incorporate that more in to my play style. I also like his 6A. Its great at keeping some characters in check.

@CptPuppet Every character in MK9 that was dlc received patches just like the rest of the cast.

i'm starting to change my mind about this guy. He's not nearly as terrible as i thought. He gets good damage on moves that lead to 623K and his step is pretty awesome. Also he can close a lot of distance quick and has pretty good ring out capabilities.

These are Dampierre's main weaknesses:

- Low damage output from pokes.
- Inconsistent high damage output due to random factor and very high JF difficulty.
- Can be easily stepped
- Has bad anti-step tools
- Very unsafe stances against opponents who know how to deal with him.
- PB offers no mixup at all against opponents who know how to fuzzy jump guard against it.

Right now Dampierre seems to be low tier to me. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the lowest tiered character in the game.

The only thing that could bump him up in tier is if somebody were to master B!E! just frame to the point of landing it very consistently, as well as land his Hat Trick Combo's for high damage. But even then random and luck will always play a factor.

This should really be in the general gameplay discussion thread, rather than non-gameplay discussion. Oh well...

His main strength, however, is that he's almost too much fun to play as. If anything else, it will be worth learning him to switch to as a troll, ala Vanilla SF4 Dan.

One thing I've been trying to fish for is his face-down into upward shoulder charge into Markuk-style punches to the face move following a randomed srk+B. I think that once he's actually on the ground or crouching, he gets access to good while rising moves. I also like his kicks, especially f+K. But he does feel like a very awkward character

I play Dampierre the same way I played him in BD. His 11B - 44BKBK does okay damage and his 33BK (Uppercut to kick) has nice randomness to it. Recovery isn't as bad either. I have a video of me using him if you guys wanna see. And BTW, his B!E! isn't as hard as people think. I was able to beat Legendary Souls Kilik with Dampierre, but sadly couldn't get any further with him.

I guess so. Even if his B!E! isn't too hard to pull off, you will really still make mistakes. I only use 11B ~ B!E! when playing offline versus. I go with 11B ~ 44BKBK online so lag won't bug me. (Internet here in the Philippines is CRAPPY.)

I decided to try and make Dampierre one of my mains. As much as I want to play this guy, he may just be too terrible to play with. I've got more wins than losses with Dampierre, but that's only because no one knows how to block his poker bluff kick attacks on the ground. He has almost no mixup game aside from poker bluff into a low grab, or a high hit (these both go into that punching thing). His low attacks are slow, and have no range at all.

I also found that his CE will not work if the opponent is too far away. If someone like Xiba hits the GI, Xiba bounces away, but Dampierre does nothing.

623B and A+B are great for getting in, but if the opponent knows how to sidestep, Dampierre can't get in. His horizontal attacks are TERRIBLE. Since he's DLC, he's probably not going to be patched at all, which sucks.

I'll continue playing him in player matches, and see if there's anything we're missing about this guy.

Oh, and why are a bunch of threads locked?

Edit: there's no where to talk about gameplay for Dampierre since the threads are locked....?
I know EXACTLY what you mean! No matter how much I practice, I can't seem to get good with him. I really want to, but he needs a major damage buff and a few more moves.

Hey, I'm kinda interested in learning him, but from what I've seen he seems mostly like a troll character. Is there much viability in him, or is he just for fun?

So far I lost twice with my main (which is Nightmare). My only win came from using Dampierre. Super close fight though. I was one hit away from losing.

sure dampierre may be "bad" but he is soooo much fun to play as. you dont pick him to win, you do it for the fun of it. i did the same with talim in 4 and it turned out pretty well.

anyways, is there a way to land the A+G/B+G grabs when you're falling down (from 1K for example) at all. it says against crouching opponents but 1K sends them to the ground too fast. i assume the are other moves for which this is better suited but i can't think of them at the moment.

for the 623K:K:K....K:K:K JF is it all random or does it actually take some skill to do. because i've found it to be pretty easy to get off but sometimes i just randomly fall into his fake pain stance. is that just me not inputting it correctly or s it more of his random properties?

anyways, i love the randomness of dampierre. not many games have that and SC makes it work (maybe not well, but it works). he's more fun than i had with voldo, and that's saying something

Back