Dark Souls

I hope sunbro is back. If patches could show up across titles then I welcome some more Jolly Cooperation!

Depending on how you play the game though he can die in certain playthroughs.

Also from what I've heard, the story for DS2 will be different from the first one so there may no connection to the story at all for all we know. Still though shit is real hype.

Straight up swore the trailer was fake or fan-made when it was first shown to me. Then when I finally realized it was legitimate, the excitement set in. New director apparently played a part in Monster Hunter 2 Freedom's development (among other games). I'm looking forward to seeing more. That CGI announcement trailer was pretty neat. I miss Motoi Sakuraba's music already though.

Ok, so my theory may sound odd at first, so I will have the explanation first then the theory.

Alright: First born sun. Not first born son, first born sun. A lot of people love to think solaire or even andre, which has it's merit for andre in particular (considering he was originally slated to be the first born) but that turned out not to be the case. Now, you are given these 3 particular clues:

1.) The statues in anor londo: There is not a single one for the first born. Why is that? There is one for everybody except the first born (and maybe gwyndolin).

2.) The undead prophecy: The undead were stated to have the power to overthrow lord gwyn in order to start a new age or continue the same one, so would it be possible that the child became undead, and for fear of being overthrown, gwyn sent that child to the asylum?

3.) Gwyndolin: Think about this: gwyndolin was born male, but because of some dumb reason (the whole moon thing) was raised as a female. So knowing that the sun (not son) spelling is in effect, that would mean it is entirely possible the first born is female as well.

...Have you figured out my theory? If no one else in the game is the first born (assuming they are in the game at all) the only logical choice in my mind...is you, the player. Think about it: why is it you are the only undead able to make it this far? How come you have so much power? How come you can do the things you do and even beat gwyn? My theory is that at one point you became an undead, so gwyn (your father) feared your rise in power, so he banishes you to the asylum. Who knows how long you have been in the asylum, and who knows why...one thing is for sure, it has it's heir about it that makes me think that we are the first born regardless of gender.

Of course, just my theory.

Based on some old Japanese interview the original son may have been Andre, but was changed mid-development and the actual person who is now supposed to be the First Born is no longer in the game. A loose thread that may be answered in the sequel.

It's very likely that woman shown in the Dark Souls 2 trailer is Anastasia.

Speedrun:
Patch 1.07. Fresh Run. No cheats. 59 minutes. EDIT: You can probably guess what weapon he's using.

Based on some old Japanese interview the original son may have been Andre, but was changed mid-development and the actual person who is now supposed to be the First Born is no longer in the game. A loose thread that may be answered in the sequel.

It's very likely that woman shown in the Dark Souls 2 trailer is Anastasia.

Speedrun:
Patch 1.07. Fresh Run. No cheats. 59 minutes. EDIT: You can probably guess what weapon he's using.
I was told about this. God damn this guy.

I really don't think it's Andre at this point. They said he previously had a more important role, but they didn't say anything specifically linking him to the first born. Check out my spoilered post if you haven't.

I really don't think it's Andre at this point. They said he previously had a more important role, but they didn't say anything specifically linking him to the first born. Check out my spoilered post if you haven't.

Well, as I said, he may have been at one point and he's not now. And its likely that whoever the first born is is not in the game and may be revealed in the upcoming sequel.

General obsession with the sun. He painted it on his armor and sheild personally. Search for his own personal "sun" which leads him to go crazy.
He's one the only 2 NPC's that use thrown lightning. (Other being Ornstien who is not the firstborn for many reasons.)
His affiliation with the firstborn's covenant.
Sunlight Medal description: The symbol represents Lord Gwyn's firstborn,
who lost his deity stats and was expunged from the annals. But the old God of War still watches closely over his warriors." Solaire literally watches over members of the sunlight covenant via boss fight summons.
If you kill him the sunlight alter fails to function giving credibility to the idea he is the source of the covenant.
He gives a really straight forward clue in dialog: "Oh, hello there. I will stay behind, to gaze at the sun. The sun is a wondrous body. Like a magnificent father! If only I could be so grossly incandescent!"

His armor also stats it doesn't have any special effects and that Solaire is strong through only hard training, if he was a deity like the first born is then he why wouldn't he enchant his armor?
About the lightning thing, Gwyn used sunlight bolts not lightning bolts. Also the player can also use lightning bolts so that doesn't really mean that he is the firstborn.
Solaire doesn't just watch over people in the covenant though, you can summon him regardless of being in the covenant.

I made a quality build and I'm wrecking shit. It's a lot easier than using a faith build at least at this point in the game.

I've been replaying through Dark Souls and I'm finding out that I'm still absolutely terrible at the game.

Also horribly unlucky. I couldn't score the Black Knight Sword or Halberd. And I can't keep more than 4000 souls before dying.

Some how, I finally made it to the first bell. At level 30+.

Played the DLC for awhile now was fun..I dunno why almost everyone keeps saying getting the black dragon's kalameet weapon is super hard to get(my fav boss hence my username here is similar to that dragon...) may be hard the first time but its durable just gotta keep making him glide over you and then stand at the middle and wait till he slams his tail down, after 2-3 hits and repeat about 3-4 times that should do it. Should come out easier if you have a strong weapon :D And holy shit what were they thinking with the new dark spells.....dark bead is just too strong and that spell will continue to dominate in pvp I hope my faith build can stand up to it which is designed to shut down mages completely.

And praise the sun! Dark souls 2! yeah can't wait

I've been replaying through Dark Souls and I'm finding out that I'm still absolutely terrible at the game.

Also horribly unlucky. I couldn't score the Black Knight Sword or Halberd. And I can't keep more than 4000 souls before dying.

Oh wow. The sword and Halbred are rare drops so it's nothing to worry about though the shield is really nice to have early on along with the swords. Just get the drake sword and it will make things so much easier, also don't fight mobs if you can, just lure them out one by one.

Yeah what Juece said also in dark souls you will never be able to run around town invincible. Dark souls doesn't allow that so no matter what level you are you gonna take a shit ton of damage so patience is key. This game is hard, always leaves newcomers in the dark, you may hit an NPC and may not never know how to un aggro him (sucked when it happened to me the first time....) but here are the few tips to help you out.

Always be defensive make sure to just 1h and block then strike back. Go to the undead merchant in the undead burg by your second bonfire right next to an area full of skeletons, purchase the heater shield (costs 1000 souls) is an excellent beginner shield because of its extremely light weight and 100% physical damage reduction. Also get a bow and a few arrows (I prefer 100 and make sure your dex is at 14 to use the bow) and then go under the bridge and keep shooting at the dragons tail and the drake sword should drop. You can also do a suicide run in the beginning and go to towards the left to where a bunch of skeletons are in a graveyard and then grab the winged spear and zweihandler and high tail it back (or get killed lol) Zweihandler is very good 2H weapon which requires 24 strength to 1H but 16 to just 2h it I think....other than that what are your characters stats?

Well, I need to tackle Sen's Fortress next, (actually already started and lost a combined total of 15000 souls). I'm not certain the drake sword can cut it there.

I started off as a Wanderer just like the first time I played, but the my current stats are 20 Vitality and Endurance, 20 Strength and 17 Dexterity. Level 37 now I think.

I'm wondering if I should just farm up 20k souls and grab the Crest of Artorias and entered the sealed area of the forest and grab the Eastern armor or something. I'm not quite sure what weapons I could use at this point.

I've killed Havel, Moonlight Butterfly, Capra Demon. Haven't beaten the Hydra (I gave up on him), I've gotten quite a few armors, but I'm mainly using the Elite Knight armor right now. I've got a Scimitar +7 and Estus Flask+2 from the New Londo and Undead Parish souls.

Well, I need to tackle Sen's Fortress next, (actually already started and lost a combined total of 15000 souls). I'm not certain the drake sword can cut it there.

I started off as a Wanderer just like the first time I played, but the my current stats are 20 Vitality and Endurance, 20 Strength and 17 Dexterity. Level 37 now I think.

I'm wondering if I should just farm up 20k souls and grab the Crest of Artorias and entered the sealed area of the forest and grab the Eastern armor or something. I'm not quite sure what weapons I could use at this point.

I've killed Havel, Moonlight Butterfly, Capra Demon. Haven't beaten the Hydra (I gave up on him), I've gotten quite a few armors, but I'm mainly using the Elite Knight armor right now. I've got a Scimitar +7 and Estus Flask+2 from the New Londo and Undead Parish souls.

Sen's is probably where you want to be right now. Darkroot Forest can, and probably will, be a bitch for you. Especially at your level. I would highly recommend picking either Dex or Str and only putting points into one of them, not both. Also, put points into Int, get great magic weapon, and watch your damage go up with that too until you can get crystal magic weapon. It will also give you access to souls spear, homing soul mass, and soul arrow to at least add some damage onto enemies before they get up to you.

but yeah, my main advice for you is put points into Vitality, Endurance, Strength or Dex(not both, unless you're building towards using a specific weapon like the Greatsword of Artorias), and Intelligence.

Also, since you're in Sen's, at the bottom of Sen's fortress is a mimic chest that once killed will drop a lightning spear. Get this, as it will help you much more than your Drake Sword now.

Sen's is probably where you want to be right now. Darkroot Forest can, and probably will, be a bitch for you. Especially at your level. I would highly recommend picking either Dex or Str and only putting points into one of them, not both. Also, put points into Int, get great magic weapon, and watch your damage go up with that too until you can get crystal magic weapon. It will also give you access to souls spear, homing soul mass, and soul arrow to at least add some damage onto enemies before they get up to you.

but yeah, my main advice for you is put points into Vitality, Endurance, Strength or Dex(not both, unless you're building towards using a specific weapon like the Greatsword of Artorias), and Intelligence.

Also, since you're in Sen's, at the bottom of Sen's fortress is a mimic chest that once killed will drop a lightning spear. Get this, as it will help you much more than your Drake Sword now.

Well basically I'm getting sniped by lightning at Sen's Fortress at the bridge. I get knocked off and I die. There's also some big demon down there too.

For your 20k of souls needed to get the crest seal from andre go back to where you were in the beginning of the game, you can do this by going up the elevator but then quickly get off at the 2nd ledge and then go right, drop below to a ledge (you dont need to jump to reach it just roll forward) quickly go all the way up (also you can get the asylum west dead key F2 on top of the shed there I think and its important to get it because you it opens access to a very important item) once you see a nest rest there for awhile until the raven comes by and picks you up at to take you back to the undead Asylum.

Careful now the enemies here are alot stronger...recommended soul level 40+ but you're current lv37 will do just fine. Do not keep going straight..don't..instead once you get inside go all the way around till u reach the bonfire after that go toward the middle and you'll fall down to fight the stray demon (might saw him at the very beginning of the game) he is alot stronger than the first demon so always stay behind him! anyway i dont wanna spoil the battle for you but once you kill him (also 2h in that fight don't worry about getting hit because basically you're trying to not ever get hit) he drops 20k souls and a titnaite slab which is very important for your weapons. Anyway you can now use those souls to buy the seal from andre to open that door in darkroot garden or if you have enough for the seal already use them to level up. The stray demon battle will be a long and tough fight but key is to always hang in there.

It will do alright there considereing you don't really have a good weapon on you.

You don't have stats invested in FAITH, INT or ATT? considering what level you are you can still try and go the magic or faith route. Though if you don't feel the need then you can continue to invest in STR and DEX and make a "Quality" build. Quality builds focus on STR and DEX with no use of miracles or spells, they deal a lot of damage given the right weapons.

The Eastern armor isn't bad but it isn't something you need to ever really use. Going into the forest is nice though as it allows you to farm 7000 souls per run. It's one of the best early game places to farm and grind if you are having trouble early on in the game. Also it has the Stone armor and the enchanted ember.

You haven't killed the gaping dragon? killing Havel is probably the best thing you did since you get his ring and his ring is pretty good if you don't have many rings yet. The Hydra isn't really important till later on and that's only if you feel like saving Dusk, or if you have the DLC. The Elite Knight armor is one of the best armor sets IMO, once you upgrade it the defence is amazing. I use it and I can go pvp and not get killed if I get back stabbed!

He could go for a Quality build, I have one at the moment and I deal as much damage with a bow as I would with soul arrows. I would say the only thing that would be worth investing in is Pyromancy and even then all he needs to do is get Power Within. If he gets that then he can pretty maul everything in the game, I mean hell I murdered Seth with just a long bow and some large arrows.

Well basically I'm getting sniped by lightning at Sen's Fortress at the bridge. I get knocked off and I die. There's also some big demon down there too.

It's all about timing and having a good shield, what you could do is kill some hollow soilder till you get a hollow shield. It is a very good shield to have early in the game and even later in the game.

Also there is a very good sword on the bridge where the Kite dragon is, it's the claymore and it scales well with both DEX and STR.

He could go for a Quality build, I have one at the moment and I deal as much damage with a bow as I would with soul arrows. I would say the only thing that would be worth investing in is Pyromancy and even then all he needs to do is get Power Within. If he gets that then he can pretty maul everything in the game, I mean hell I murdered Seth with just a long bow and some large arrows.

It's all about timing and having a good shield, what you could do is kill some hollow soilder till you get a hollow shield. It is a very good shield to have early in the game and even later in the game.

Also there is a very good sword on the bridge where the Kite dragon is, it's the claymore and it scales well with both DEX and STR.

Well here's the the thing. I started off as a Wanderer which basically had a 14 Dex starting stat. My current dex is 17, so I've only really put 3 points into it. I've dumped the rest of the points I've had into Endurance, Vitality and Strength. I thought Dex would boost my Scimitar's damage, since the scaling reads on it reads C.

Most of my deaths are coming from dealing with multiple enemies, bosses, or enemies I can't really backstab (plus the environment).

I have a bunch weapons, armors and other things. Balder's Side Sword, Knight Shield, Grass Crest Shield, Spider Shield. Long swords, short swords, Gargoyle Tail axe, Drake sword, and others that are all most un-upgraded. I already have the embers so I can get up to +10 (or +15, I forget) with Andre. From my last post I did run off and take on the Hydra once more and actually beat him and freed Dusk. Also managed to run in and grab the Eastern Armor before being punted by the trees (I didn't go the back way). And I got far enough into Sen's Fortress for the Lightning Spear and got it up to +1.

Again, I have several armors right now. Tattered Cloth, Crimson Robes, Dusk's armor, Black Leather, Chain Mail, Knight's Armor, Elite Knight's Armor, Bandit's Armor, Leather Armor and Sorcerer's Robes... I think that's all of them. Elite Knight's Armor is upgraded to +2, but I'm not exactly moving too well in it right now.

I have (I think) all the trainers out now, including the Pyromancer trainer, Sorcerer and Miracle man guy. I did take some advice and ran through the cemetery to grab the Zwei-hander, Winged Spear and Binoculars (so that's where they were...)

The spear is working fine... but I did kind of want a weapon that actually... scaled with my stats. I killed all the Black Knights in the Asylum and in the areas I could find them and didn't get any of their weapons. I haven't killed the Stray Demon (way too hard). I couldn't make it to a bonfire inside Sen's Fortress so I'll have to re-scale the place again and try to take on the boss. I should probably head out and see if I can get some humanity and kindle the bonfire at Andre's so I have enough flasks to make it through.

Dex does boost the damage but you have to raise it higher to see the real effects, Dex works with Curved blades, daggers, rapiers and Katana's oh and Bows. Honestly you don't need high vitality, the highest I raise my VIT is around 20-24 and I do fine. If you have a good shield then you can just tank attacks and counter after blocking.

The spider shield is pretty good early on in the game since it has 100 physical defense which is pretty awesome and will save your ass. Long swords are good as they scale with both STR and DEX evenly and usually have a varied move-set that work in any situation, not to mention you can enchant them. Don't invest to much into the lightning spear as it stops being good in Anor lando.

I would stick with the Elite Knight set since is has good poise and good defense. You aren't going to be able to move like a thief if you are wearing middle weight armor. The best you can do is get the medium roll which isn't that bad, no where near as good as the fast roll but it's still good. Also keep upgrading the armor set and you will see just how amazing the defense you get from it really is.

Unless you're going to invest stat points into INT or FAITH then the trainers wont really be much use to you, well except for the pyro trainer. Pyromancy is amazing and like I mentioned in another post, if you get Power Within, you will be murdering everything. Going to the cementary is nice but you can't really use the Zweihander and since it's an Ultra-Greatsword it's effectiveness is limited to places that aren't enclosed. It's an amazing weapon once you learn how to use it though, I use it for my Faith build and I wreck everything.

The bonfire in Sen's Fortress is hard to find if it's your first time going through the area. You have to walk off a ledge to reach it while avoiding a giant who throws giant firebombs at you. The trick to killing the Stray Demon is to get behind it and stay behind it. When it raises its sword you back away as it will slam the sword down and create an explosion. The other thing you have to watch out for is when it flys up into the air, if it lands on you it will most likely one shot kill you. Oh before you try and kill the boss in Sen's Fortress, make sure you get the Gold Serpent ring, it is one of the best rings to have.

Back