DK's Original and Remake CAS Thread

DarkKoala

[08] Mercenary
I've been a lurker since shortly after SC4 was released, and I figured it was about time I actually make an account and share some of the CAS's I've made. This thread will (eventually) have both my originals and remakes of existing characters.

DISCLAIMER: All of the formulas are my own, but some of the remakes have been inspired by others that I have seen, either here or on GameFAQs.com. I'd give credit where credit due, but I'm afraid I've never been terribley good about writing things down.

So, without further ado, let's get things started with some Final Fantasy CAS's...

BlackMage.jpg
RedMage.jpg
Cecil-DarkKnight.jpg
Cecil-Paladin.jpg
Kain.jpg
Kefka.jpg
Terra.jpg
Cloud.jpg
Sephiroth.jpg

And now for some originals!
These characters are all from a story I've been planning to write for several years, but have never gotten around to actually putting on paper. As such, they each have backstories, but I'm only going to get into the bare bones of each one, since the whole story would take a lot of time (besides, I may actually get around to writing it some day).

(Note: The Akashic Order, which is referenced a lot in these bios, is a samurai-like sect closely linked to the feudal order, which wields elemental powers that they use in conjunction with armed combat. Think of them is being sort of a fantasy equivilant of the Jedi from Star Wars, and you're not too far off.)

Trynn.jpg

Background: Growing up with four older brothers made Trynn tough, if not a tomboy. She joined the city guard when she was old enough, and quickly became well known as one of its most prominent officers. Trusting in her instincts, however, she became a fugitive after helping Elreyah escape the Akashic Order's captivity (see Elreyah's bio for more info on that).

Personality: Loyal, honorable, and strong, Trynn has all the makings of the perfect soldier. Her strong sense of justice does not bind her to blindly obey authority, however, thus her choice to help Elreyah despite his status as an outlaw. Trynn cannot abide seeing innocent people suffer or wicked people get away scott free. She has a bit of martyr streak to her as well, often making personal sacrifices for what she believes to be the greater good.

Rubius.jpg

Background: A "reformed" criminal with strong underworld ties, Rubius has been an informant to Trynn in the past. He also got himself mixed up in Elreyah's business by agreeing to use his contacts to help them escape Ceruleus without attracting the attention of the city guard or the Akashic Order. Now he's in the same boat as them. It's hardly ideal for him, but he manages to find ways to benefit from the setup.

Personality: Rubius comes off as a greedy sleazebag with a penchant for pissing people off. He does this deliberately, however, and is a lot more shrewd and calculating than people give him credit for. While he is loath to admit it, he has also started to develop feelings for Trynn, although he still hates Elreyah's guts.

Elreyah.jpg

Background: A former member of the Akashic Order, Elreyah came upon evidence of a secret society that has been manipulating the order from within. He underestimated the shadowy inner circle, however, and when he tried to return to the Order's Headquarters in Valliance to display his findings, he was marked as a traitor and hunted down. He was eventually captured by the city guard of Ceruleus, but Trynn freed him, and together they escaped with the help of Seth Rubius.

Personality: Elreyah is a man obsessed with secrets. He cannot abide anything being hidden from him, yet he is extremely reluctant to reveal anything about himself. After spending over a year as a fugitive, he has become somewhat paranoid as well, and often conceals things even from his allies. There may yet be something he is not telling Trynn...

Kamryn.jpg

Background: A member of the Akashic Order, Kamryn is a celebrated war hero, although he has recently settled down and started a family. He and Elreyah have worked together in the past, and Elreyah hopes that he may be able to help them.

Personality: Kamryn maintains a very stern and militaristic demanor while in public, but behind closed doors he is actually very friendly and charismatic. Despite being an excellent tactician in battle, Kamryn actually prefers to avoid violence, and will not raise his sword unless absolutely necessary.

Dreshi.jpg

Background: Belonging to a tribe called the Merguhl, D'Reshi's early life was one of hardship, surviving in the unforgiven dessert. When she was only eight years old, she was the only survivor of a particularly violent sandstorm that wiped out the rest of her tribe. She wandered for miles alone, before collapsing at the outskirts of a city, where she was discovered by an Akashic brother named Braud Harken. Harken saw her potential and brought her in, where her amazing fortitude served her well in her training as a Protector (a bodyguard, similar to the samurai distinction of "yojimbo").

Personality: Subtlty and diplomacy are not D'reshi's strongest points. She is loud, brash, and sarcastic. Nonetheless, she is level-headed, and surprisingly difficult to provoke. She is also very smug, and many of the more social members of the Akashic Order find it very difficult to talk to her.

Next batch: Marvel Comics characters. I'm particularly proud of Cyclops, whose visor was a pain in the butt, but it eventually turned out nearly perfect. Everyone and their brother has a Gambit, but that didn't stop me from making my own. Spider-Man turned out pretty well costume-wise, though I've seen others do his eyes better (not sure how). Phoenix's costume is spot-on, though I'm thinking about changing her hair to the wavy style, even if that means making it shorter.
Spider-Man.jpg
Cyclops.jpg
Gambit.jpg
Phoenix.jpg

And now for the DC guys, specifically the "Big Three." Superman and Batman were both tricky, though for different reasons. Wonder Woman I'm not completely satisfied with, so she might get updated later.
Superman.jpg
Batman.jpg
WonderWoman.jpg

Not sure what you're getting at, there. Are you saying that I have so made so many CAS's that it doesn't seem like I'd have had time to actually play? The game's been out a full month now. Heck, I've seen people who have filled all 50 slots, then made a new profile to make more. And obviously I've been playing quite a bit, since my player level is high enough to have unlocked all the equipment, so...

And now for a pretty much random assortment of "others." The gargoyles characters were pretty directly inspired by someone else's (again, don't remember who). Believe it or not, the first thing I thought when I got the buttefly antenae was "Dude, now I can make Laharl!" I'm just weird like that.
Goliath-1.jpg
Demona-1.jpg
Laharl.jpg
Etna.jpg
ScottPilgrim.jpg

So you're picking on someone for posting a bunch of CAS's...in a forum dedicated to posting CAS's? Ooookay...

Well, thanks for the compliment, anyway. I'm glad you like them.

For the guest creations, I'm particularly fond of Cyclops and Phoenix. That visor was dope. For the originals, Trynn and Kamryn are rather stereotypical, so it'll take some work to give them personality. On the other hand, Elreyah's got a great exotic look, and Seth really looks the part of the ex-convict. I'd like to see more creations like these.

Yeah, for some reason I seem to have a hard time making armored character designs look interesting and different. Not sure why. Elreyah's my personal favorite. Not too complicated, but still very distinct.

So you're picking on someone for posting a bunch of CAS's...in a forum dedicated to posting CAS's? Ooookay...

Well, thanks for the compliment, anyway. I'm glad you like them.

Right. You're the only one that has posted CAS's in this thread and you have quite a few. I wasn't trying to pick on you in a bad way - I didn't mean to appear to be mocking you or anything. Sorry if it came across wrong. I love CAS. I should post some of mine here too if that's alright.

I love CAS. I should post some of mine here too if that's alright.

Well, that might make the name of the thread a bit misleading and confusing. Now that you mention it, though, there's no general thread for recration CAS's. There's one for originals (the aptly named "Originality"), but not for remakes. I actually think it might be a good idea for someone to start threads dedicated to recreations, maybe several (Like on for video game characters, one for anime characters, one for comic books, etc.). Then everyone who's done recreations of that type could post their CAS's together in one easy-to-find place.

Hmmm...

And here's my entries for NeclordX's very cool Broquest CAS Challenge. I suppose that puts them somewhere sort of in between original and recreations. ^_^

Rondo.jpg

Not too bad, considering I had no idea where I was going with him when I got started. I took the picture without realizing that you pretty much can't see the flame tatoo on his right arm at all, but oh well. I was just trying to drive home the whole "hot-blooded" thing, and the thumbnail probably does that well enough.
Shitara.jpg

She frankly frightens me. The messed up left eye was actually a trick I picked up from someone else's original, which used the tip of a heart coming out of the eye socket to create the effect. I couldn't figure out how to do that right, so I used a bolt instead. Oh, and she has ZWEI's style because I guess the wolf is supposed to be some sort of totem spirit or something.
Cogsworth.jpg

Probably my weakest entry. No matter how you look at it, it's just a heavily armored dude with some cogwheels and goggles slapped on. I tried to use a cylinder to put a steamstack on his back, but that just wasn't working out. So I just gave up and what you see is what you get. ^_^

Is it just me, or do a number of them look kind of... Large?
I mean, I know Wonder Woman is supposed to be a little built, but she's thinner then that. Same with Terra, I recall her being pretty skinny.

Back