Do M or sM Horizontal attacks exist for any characters?

Not all mid horizontals are created equal, but they do exist:
Code:
α Patroklos |  3A      4K*      bA
Aeon        |  22A     3A*      3K*      44A      66A
Algol       |  22A     3AA
Astaroth    |  214A    22A      44A      66A      FC 3K*
Cervantes   |  3A      3A+B     44A
Dampierre   |  3A*     66A
Ezio        |  22AA    44A      66A      WR A
Hilde       |  3A*     44A      C1A      C2A      C3A
Ivy         |  3A*     3[A]*    6A+B     WR A     WR A+B
Leixia      |  1A      22kA     3A+B     3AA      44A      4A
Maxi        |  22A     33K*     3A (OP)  44A      WR A     WR B+K
Mitsu       |  22A     33K*     3A       44A      WR/236A
Natsu       |  3A      66K      A+B      A6       Jump A†  WR A
Nightmare   |  22AA    3AA*     3K*      44A      NSS A
Patroklos   |  236AB   3A       44A      4A       4K*      66A      66K
Pyrrha      |  236AA   3A       44A      66A      WR A     WR A+B*
Pyrrha Ω    |  44A     66A      DNS K    WR A     WR A+B*
Raphael     |  3A*     44AB
Siegfried   |  22A†    3A*      3aA*     WR [B]*
Tira        |  44A     GS 3AAA  GS 666B  JS 3A    JS 66AA
Viola       |  44A     shit     noone    cares    about
Voldo       |  22A     3A       44A      44A+B    BS 4A
Xiba        |  22A     3A*      44A      66A      Jump A*  WR A
Yoshimitsu  |  1AAAAA  3AB      3K       44A      66A      8A       Jump K†
ZWEI        |  22A     3A BE    3AA
* Sometimes steppable
† Sometimes acts like a high
Out of all of these I'd say the 5 most notable are Aeon's 66_33A, Pat's 44A, and Pyrrha's 66A (although her 44A is dumb too), Ezio's 66/WR A, and Hilde's C2A.

α Patroklos: 3A, bA, 4K
Aeon: 66A, 3A, 3K, 44A, 22A
Algol: 22A, 3AA
Astaroth: 22A, 66A, 214A, FC 3K, 44A
Cervantes: 3A, 3A+B, 44A
Dampierre: 66A, 3A
Ezio: 66A, WR A, 22AA's second hit, 44A when it isn't being a magical special high
Hilde: C1A, C2A, C3A, 44A, 3A
Ivy: WR A+B, WR A, 3[A], 3A, 6A+B
Leixia: 44A, 3AA, 3A+B, 22kA, 1A, 4A
Maxi: 22A, 3A (OP), 33K is horizontal-ish, WR A, WR B+K, 44A
Mitsu: 3A, 22A, 44A, WR/236 A, 33K
Natsu: A+B, 66K, 3A, Jump A, WR A, A6
Nightmare: 22AA, 3AA (steppable sometimes), 3K (same deal), 44A, NSS A
Patroklos: 44A, 236AB, 66A, 3A, 4A, 4K (steppable sometimes), 66K
Pyrrha: 66A, 236AA, 3A, 44A, WR A, WR A+B
Pyrrha Ω: 66A, WR A, WR A+B, 44A, DNS K
Raphael: 44AB lel, 3A except when it gets stepped
Siegfried: 22A, 3A, 3aA, WR [B]
Tira: JS 66AA, JS 3A, GS 3AAAAAAAA, 44A, GS 666B
Viola: 44A. None of the others matter.
Voldo: 22A, 3A, 44A (semi-reliable), 44A+B, BS 4A
Xiba: 44A, 66A, 22A, WR A, Jump A (semi-reliable), 3A (semi-reliable)
Yoshimitsu: 44A, 66A, 1AAAAAAAAA, 3AB, 3K, Jump K, 8A
ZWEI: 3AA, 3A BE, his shitty 22A

Last edited:
Raph 66A can stepped, I have seen step go through it on multiple occasions
Yeah. It's one of those stepkillers that doesn't track the opponent but instead had a wide advancing hitbox that goes straight forward (Aeon 66A is like this too). Raph 66A is weak to his right side, but the opponent also has to be really close to Raph to evade it (Raph will go charging past a stepping opponent at mid ranges but usually still catch them with the far edge of the hitbox).

I think that when 66A is used optimally the only situations in which it could be stepped are (1) both players are up close and the Raph player throws out 66A to catch a backdash/8WR and the opponent sidesteps instead, or (2) both players are at mid/mid-long range, Raph tries to use 66A to suppress movement, opponent simultaneously dashes toward Raph and immediately sidesteps.

In situation (1), Raph players really ought to consider using 236B instead. Situation (2) is trickier; preemptive 2A/2K footsies shut it down effectively but strong opponents will be able to get off CE whiff punishes when they see a Raph whiffing 2As/2Ks.

Attempting to kill sidestep at close range with 66A is silly. That's where it's at its most punishable when blocked/ducked/stepped and most interruptable. Throws, 2A, 2K, and 3A are better options. 33A is usually outclassed by 22_88A outside of close range anyway, provided the Raph player manages his neutral game right (i.e. keeps a near-constant 8WR state going, even if it means moving the stick in circles just to keep 33K BE, 22B, 11K, and 22A primed for immediate use).

For what it's worth, the only times I've seen Aeon 66A get sidestepped are in situation (2). It's the most effective technique for sidestepping horizontals.

Last edited:
Yeah. It's one of those stepkillers that doesn't track the opponent but instead had a wide advancing hitbox that goes straight forward (Aeon 66A is like this too). Raph 66A is weak to his right side, but the opponent also has to be really close to Raph to evade it (Raph will go charging past a stepping opponent at mid ranges but usually still catch them with the far edge of the hitbox).

I think that when 66A is used optimally the only situations in which it could be stepped are (1) both players are up close and the Raph player throws out 66A to catch a backdash/8WR and the opponent sidesteps instead, or (2) both players are at mid/mid-long range, Raph tries to use 66A to suppress movement, opponent simultaneously dashes toward Raph and immediately sidesteps.

In situation (1), Raph players really ought to consider using 236B instead. Situation (2) is trickier; preemptive 2A/2K footsies shut it down effectively but strong opponents will be able to get off CE whiff punishes when they see a Raph whiffing 2As/2Ks.

Attempting to kill sidestep at close range with 66A is silly. That's where it's at its most punishable when blocked/ducked/stepped and most interruptable. Throws, 2A, 2K, and 3A are better options. 33A is usually outclassed by 22_88A outside of close range anyway, provided the Raph player manages his neutral game right (i.e. keeps a near-constant 8WR state going, even if it means moving the stick in circles just to keep 33K BE, 22B, 11K, and 22A primed for immediate use).

For what it's worth, the only times I've seen Aeon 66A get sidestepped are in situation (2). It's the most effective technique for sidestepping horizontals.
Nice. That explains it well I have had this happen with GS Tira 6a before how it looks they go through it but what I believed happened was how you described it as situation (2)

While we talk about stepping horizontals what's the deal with Natsu a+b?

There are situations where it can be stepped or avoided with a TS for example Natsu PO B on block a+b if the opponent steps a certain way they avoid it.

Or a blocked 3b from ivy if Natsu was to do another 3b, Natsu a+b would whiff. What's the deal with that?

While we talk about stepping horizontals what's the deal with Natsu a+b?

There are situations where it can be stepped or avoided with a TS for example Natsu PO B on block a+b if the opponent steps a certain way they avoid it.

Or a blocked 3b from ivy if Natsu was to do another 3b, Natsu a+b would whiff. What's the deal with that?
I can't remember ever seeing that happen, so your guess is at least as good as mine. @kAb might know.

Back