Do the fans still care about 'em? Episode #3 Yun-Seong

What do you have to say about Yun-Seong?

• Total voters

HydroJames

Shining Sea Dragon
:sc2yun2: I'm indifferent towards this guy, but I haven't heard much about him...

What I have read is on the Tvtropes.org Scrappy page in the Video Games Section,

The guy is basically everything wrong with Hot Blooded teenage shonen heroes in one migraine-inducing package. He's arrogant, he's cocky, he's got a firm grasp of the Idiot Ball over three games, he continually spouts dumb lines like "YEE-HAW!" in an annoying English voice, and he replaces Hwang. Seung-Mina pretty much spends the entirety of IV running around making sure this moron doesn't hurt himself.

YMMV, but still...

What I do like about him are his weapons are cool and his Critical Finish in IV is hilarious...

Last edited:
I think he´s a good character, pretty cool and good gameplay, but to be honest i think there are plenty of better characters in SC roster.

I like him for his play style also for Talim x Yun Seong. But I don't like his "I will protect my country" storyline. But if he's a mature 35 year old in the next game I would like him more.

I always thought yunseong's design should have been the swordsman with the lengthiest and most over-the-top combos (like cerventes but with less JF) as a high-risk high-reward type archtype. Too bad he kinda settled into a guard crushing monster though he had a reputation of being unsafe.

He should return as an grizzled vet who gave up looking for the swords, because soul edge was destroyed and sieg had SC. After the last game however he hears rumors of both swords running amok so I guess he would make it his personal quest to eradicate both swords, because maybe his country is safe now. Same style and everything but as christina said hes 35, and ready to save more than his country, in his eyes of course. So I guess he would be like anti hero status.

I like him a bit, he's fun to play, specially in SC4, but like everyone, I don't like his personality, and that's is why I want to se him with 35 years old, he will be more mature, less arrogant and less cocky, if PS bring him back, he may be finally a worth succesor of Hwang.

The first SC example of replace veteran with younger dumber less badass and cool version of it*

2117543-HwangSCFACE.jpg

He got some fun kicks but that's it
For the rest was dumb looking in SC2, ridicolous in SC3, gay samba istructor in SC4

SC sad cast decisions as usual
Internet teen wierdos are fine with it, fight games fans cringe

Team Hwang FTW :D
post-1757-0-93940200-1342324355.gif

*some can say Maxi was, but Maxi was kind of fair trade

Still on this "Hwang" thing again....? He wasn't even that creatively designed... or named. His look just gives off that appearance of just a generic uninspired virtual fighter character.

Last edited:
I prefer Hwang and Assassin. I will say however, that if they gave Yun better motivations and goals, an improved personality and a more formidable moveset, he would be good to go in my opinion. He's just so reckless. Even though his sword is supposed to guide him to the correct path, he still makes nonsensical and brash decisions. Also his Critical finish was stupid, don't get hit with your own moves.

Pretty much what Gatsu said.
I Find him very boring,character & story wise.

It's a good thing Hwang a.k.a Assassin is back in SC2 HD online :D.

Yun-Seong was one of the first characters I learned when I first started playing Soul Calibur II.
I enjoy him as character and he is fun to play. Story of him, yeah could of been better but still.

I know some of you liked Hwang and some liked Yun-Seong, but to me, there's no difference other than personality. Maybe if both came back, but one used dual dao swords. Just saying...Other than that, I like both Hwang and Yun.

I like Yun. I enjoy how stupid and reckless he is, as a character, and that is reflected in his style. He's Hwang, but younger, (way) dumber, and rougher around the edges. A character that we love to hate, but is really fun to play.

That being said, Namco has put themselves in a corner as to what they can do with him. If they make him older and more mature, then he would basically be Hwang. And at that point, they should just fucking put Hwang in the game. And with the creation of Xiba, who is basically Yun but younger and dumberer, they can't really bring him back as is, either.

The problem with Yun is that he is dated by design. Let's say they go with the Hwang route. If they make him mature, then his dumb, freestyle kicking stuff would look even dumber because these silly techniques would look out of place on a character who is supposed to be older and wiser. Yun's style would fail to reflect on his changes as a a person.

If they bring him back, but keep him as stupid as he is now, then he would seem like a mentally regressed man-child who may or may not also have brain problems. Not to mention that he would also be competing with Xiba, who took Yun's place as "young, stupid, fiery guy who freestyles his moves."

I love Yun. He's become one of my favorite characters in the series. (He's fucking Hwoarang, for fuck's sake.) But there is literally nowhere for him to go in either character, or fight style.

I actually am fond of the guy, being a reckless and dumb brat is something that made him original in his own way, he did blend really well with his trio (Yes Soul Calibur IV people were either in two or in three person team.)

I think that Talim, Mina and Yun were the happy-go-lucky people, which is funny when we consider how serious character tend to be in Soul Calibur.

The problem with Yun is that he is dated by design. Let's say they go with the Hwang route. If they make him mature, then his dumb, freestyle kicking stuff would look even dumber because these silly techniques would look out of place on a character who is supposed to be older and wiser. Yun's style would fail to reflect on his changes as a a person.

If they bring him back, but keep him as stupid as he is now, then he would seem like a mentally regressed man-child who may or may not also have brain problems. Not to mention that he would also be competing with Xiba, who took Yun's place as "young, stupid, fiery guy who freestyles his moves."
This part isn't necessarily true, just because he's older and more mature doesn't mean his style would necessarily change. Maybe some of the flash is gone but the fire that made his style uniqe should still be there. Hell a few cool looking kick moves get elevated in badassery when someone you don't expect pulls them out. Just because something looks stylish doesn't mean it isn't mature or grown up.

I miss Yun-Seong so much. He was the only guy I would use in SC2 (yeah I was a bit of a sexist git back then)

I sucked with him so bad in SC2, SC3 and SC4

But I still loved to use him so much x3

If his style looks dumb why not edit the animation of some of his moves? They do the same with some Kilik moves when they put into Xiba.

I prefer Hwang and Assassin. I will say however, that if they gave Yun better motivations and goals, an improved personality and a more formidable moveset, he would be good to go in my opinion. He's just so reckless. Even though his sword is supposed to guide him to the correct path, he still makes nonsensical and brash decisions. Also his Critical finish was stupid, don't get hit with your own moves.
I never understood his critical finish either... if it was supposed to be funny it left me scratching my head. Though yun-seung may be the originally intended youthful hotshot character he at least progresses in his ambition and grows up a bit. I mean in SC3 he was nothing a manslave to seung-mina, but in SC4 he at least had his priorities straight and was set on the actual grounds to do it.(If Seung Mina didnt get in the way...)

But there was no real resolution for him until he was dropped in SC5 for some 0.5 dimensional loser thats cant say anything unrelated to food.... I hated that at the one point in Yun-Seungs development that could have actually changed him dramatically...(soul edge possession) he was thrown out. I mean to me he was so much more likable then that generic preachy hypocritical asshole patroklos for his beliefs being more natural.. and not being as oppressingly forced. His potentially romantic relationship with Talim was what her fans were waiting for and cute to them as far as I've read... he has a lot of reason to come back for that side of the fanbase.

Though in response to the comparison of the 3 users of the weapon, to be honest I prefer Assassin because he seems like he could have had potential to add something new. His character in SC2 could have been expanded on because series doesn't have an Arabian/Egyptian treasure-hunting catwoman-character yet and.... he could have been that sneaky character.

Last edited:
Back