Early SE/SC concept art

weshookhands

[13] Hero
I noticed that these aren't in the wikis and haven't been mentioned anywhere else either. i'd load them up, but as i'm in the middle of my exams, i won't have time for that.

just wanted to share:
http://www.soularchive.jp/tmr/souledge/edgechar.htm
press the golden button for early unknown concept art.

http://www.soularchive.jp/tmr/soulcalibur/calichar1.htm
press the green button for early unknown concept art.

SPOILER:
there are even pictures of Toki, Meimei, Chie and Bangoo in there. and a futuristic Taki and a pedo-Voldo, too. Oh, Ivy used to be a guy and Hwang was meant to wield Seung-Mina's halberd ;)

Lots of fun :)

UPDATE:

i found another page showing characters that haven't made it to any games yet (and other illustrations):
http://www.soularchive.jp/tmr/soulcalibur/illust/illust_00.htm

i totally want this guy:
03.gif

puppeteer, yeay.

Wow some of those concepts are really great. I really like the puppeteer as well. Although I can imagine it could be difficult making a respectable moveset for him.

The dual katana wielding samurai is pretty awesome. Wouldn't mind seeing a proper rival for Mitsu in the game:
005.gif

And what's up with this guy?:

004.gif

Looks like he shoots laser beams from his nipples or something lol.

Some of those other concepts are really awesome.

Wow some of those concepts are really great. I really like the puppeteer as well. Although I can imagine it could be difficult making a respectable moveset for him.

i think his moveset would be really unique and funnnnay. the puppet could be used for biting, slashing, it could wield daggers etc itself, it could shoot fire/smoke from its mouth, the character could just grab the puppet by its legs and hit you in the face with it. i'm almost fainting from funny.

I know where you're coming from but I would just be concerned about his hit box, because that concept makes him look like he's almost two characters in size. I'd just be wondering how they would make him play in regards to the set standards for characters sizes, movements, and stun/launch/throw animations.

But they made it work with Yoda so I'm sure they could figure out a way to make that character work.. but not without some controversy I'm sure.

oh well, you do have a point there. depending on how tall the puppeteer would be, though, i guess that it might work. a tiny old man maybe, and a much smaller puppet than in the concept picture. i mean...there are characters like astaroth, two stories tall...

you could make his hitbox apply to both puppeteer and puppet when he's in neutral/crouching etc. stance. the only exception would be when the puppet is horizontal to the ground (while swinging etc) which would then work like a tech crouch for the puppeteer and the puppet acts as a weapon (and weapons' hitboxes usually don't clash/collide).
so, you see, there are ways.

How about this, but perhaps even smaller:

hu_hai_a_chinese_master_puppeteer_and_his_puppet_a_4124243749.JPG

in the end, it boils down to a balancing issue. and i'm sure they won't be making the yoda mistake again.

Back