Eventhubs added a tier list section for Soulcalibur

Sometimes I think tiers are partially defined by the popularity of the character. With a larger pool of players, comes a larger number of skilled players.

Characters that aren't very popular almost always get downplayed, where the characters who have been analyzed to death by 100,000 people people tend to overestimate.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. There is no doubt in my mind that Yoshi and Voldo deserve to be in the A range, but due to how complicated and unpopular they are, few people actually get to see what they are capable of. Whereas Pyrrha is overestimated because she's simple to use and popular, so pretty much every little trick has not only been discovered, but pretty much everyone knows about them too, to the point where just about anyone could pick her up in a day or 2 and play her effectively with little effort. Because she's so effective right off the bat, people naturally assume she's higher tier than she really is. Make no mistake, she's a strong character, but IMO not as good as people think.

I'm predicting that I will be trolled for stating my opinion.

Sometimes I think tiers are partially defined by the popularity of the character. With a larger pool of players, comes a larger number of skilled players.

Characters that aren't very popular almost always get downplayed, where the characters who have been analyzed to death by 100,000 people people tend to overestimate.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. There is no doubt in my mind that Yoshi and Voldo deserve to be in the A range, but due to how complicated and unpopular they are, few people actually get to see what they are capable of. Whereas Pyrrha is overestimated because she's simple to use and popular, so pretty much every little trick has not only been discovered, but pretty much everyone knows about them too, to the point where just about anyone could pick her up in a day or 2 and play her effectively with little effort. Because she's so effective right off the bat, people naturally assume she's higher tier than she really is. Make no mistake, she's a strong character, but IMO not as good as people think.

I agree with you. And popularity is always a factor in such "voted tier lists". Fan favourites like NM will always be ranked higher than unpopular characters, Ezio for example (i won't start a discussion here but as a character that is just average in every way he should be in the middle of the list). That's just why these lists don't work.

And yes, it'll be locked soon!

Whereas Pyrrha is overestimated because she's simple to use and popular, so pretty much every little trick has not only been discovered, but pretty much everyone knows about them too, to the point where just about anyone could pick her up in a day or 2 and play her effectively with little effort. Because she's so effective right off the bat, people naturally assume she's higher tier than she really is. Make no mistake, she's a strong character, but IMO not as good as people think.

Meh, she deserves her place with almost all of her match ups in her favour. She and Mitsurugi are highly rated because they're good, even though they're easy to pick up.

Certainly Pyrrha isn't top because of her excellent punishment ability, overall safety, multipurpose moves, and incredible oki/throw game

Honestly it's gonna be a lot of votes from people who play the game casually or at a low competitive level that end up skewing the tier list one way or another. And don't forget also the people voting who only play online, which has its own completely different tier list.

In essence, it's probably gonna be the least accurate tier list, and it don't matter too much to me anyway. Just gonna keep doing WR B.

Honestly it's gonna be a lot of votes from people who play the game casually or at a low competitive level that end up skewing the tier list one way or another. And don't forget also the people voting who only play online, which has its own completely different tier list.

In essence, it's probably gonna be the least accurate tier list, and it don't matter too much to me anyway. Just gonna keep doing WR B.

Sieg is fucking OP at low level. That's what makes no sense.

Such lists suffer from at least 2 things:

1. scrub votes: character X is ranked higher than character Y. The voter doesn't know shit about the matchup but X is ranked higher and he votes 6-4 or better in X's favor.

2. subjective votes: my main is ranked low but i'm sure he deserves better. i log in (maybe with more accounts) and vote his matchups better than he deserves. this raises the standard deviation (don't know if that is the right term, "Standardabweichung" in german) and if this is too high it becomes more and more useless.

I think it's cool that EH has an automated system in place for tier lists. Still hate that they have Pyrrha Omega listed as Omega Pyrrha.

I just don't see the point of having a bunch of numbers without any context because someone new won't be able to make any sense of it.

As for scrub votes and subjective votes, the more people who make legitimate votes, then the less impact these people would have. And if someone would take the time to vote with multiple accounts, then they need a life.

But I look at the list and it's pretty much in line with most people's tier lists on here outside of a couple of characters.

But I look at the list and it's pretty much in line with most people's tier lists on here outside of a couple of characters.
I'm still bitter that you people are undermining my objectively correct assessments of a couple of controversial matchups.

Back