Final Fantasy Thread

You can say that about a lot of the recent ones. If you didn't abuse the Junction system, then FF8 gave you a decent challenge. Abusing the Sphere Grid in FFX made an otherwise easy game, even more easy (If that's possible). Some of the Materia in FF7 was overpowered. FF9 didn't have much of a system to abuse per se but it wasn't challenging either.

I personally think FFVIII did it the worst, but those are complaints against most of the newer games. It was pretty easy to be overpowered in every Final Fantasy since FFVI.

i still say FF11 should not have been part of the numbered series. FF online, i understand completely. not 11. they broke my damn chain. i have 1~10-2 and then 12. tsk.

as far as overpowering, ff8 was easy to abuse, but to the novice player that just played the game like any other RPG, even with the occasional powerleveling or two, the game gave a good enough challenge. given that the enemies leveled up the same time you did (or atl east the average of your team members).

but yeah, i still remember having an allchara@lvl100 file for ff8. in conjunction with that, i also have an allchara@lvl32 file (at the end of the game of course) for ff8. xD

ff7's story still stands out in my mind, especially since i spent countless hours playing and replaying the game just to find new things. xD

ff9, i love it. that simple. story and gameplay took everyone back to the roots, albeit everyone was stuck to the same job. but that negligible.

ffx, one of my favorites in the series due to the game being on the ps2 and the storyline. i love every moment i was playing that game. i especially love the ATB battle system and the mid battle character switches. it was quite innovative. :) i am one of those who rearranged the sphere grid (150hours on my file) to have everyone be everything and be @ max. i also have a no sphere grid run file, just to offset it i guess xD.

ff12 was good. but nothing too fantastic. it is quite true that the characters feel a bit detached.

oh before i forget, ffx-2. it was a so-so game. it tied up the story of ffx. that's all.

...because we need one.

And where we can talk about the awesomeness of FF9 and why FF8 needs more love.

I agree. FF9 was the best FF IMO and that's coming from a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE FF4 fan like me.

FF8 was pure trash even tough it had good spots in it like Squall and Laguna.

Final Fantasy Tactics is my top favorite and it's not even a part of the main series. FFIX gets a close second.

Another FF game I think gets a lot of undeserving hate is the most recent one FFXII.

Even though the series gets more praise than it deserves IMO, I have enjoyed a lot of the games.

Final Fantasy Tactics don't count even if it had Cloud as a crossover.

If it did, that would be the best easily.

FF12 was nice considering is the same FF Tactics team. I liked the game but it was too damn LONGGGGGGGGGGGG. I never spent so much time in a FF game before. And no, FF11 doesn't count.

Through my complete collection of the FF games (Yes I have 1 - 12 including online and all of the tactics games) I had a lot of fun with each one of them, YET some more then others for other parts. I mean put it this way, what if one of the next FF's had all of this

Tetra Master (What the card game from VIII is called)
Blitzball
Bounty Missions
Airship Battles
A Job system like FFV's
Options that change the game completely, meaning you could be good or evil (A new for FF)

What would you think if a FF game had all of that, I could see it happening if they Keep the FFVIII's Tetra Master, X's Blitz Ball, and if they really worked on it so that Blitz Ball and Tetra could have there own stories to them and you could go pro and stuff.

I really hated Blitzball. I felt like they tried too hard. It was just RPG shit-mix of football and american football.

I...just...couldn't...WAIT to get past that bit of the game.

Tetra master is FF8's card game right? Not that bogus confusing and shitty rip off 9 did?

9 was awesome, but it's card game was born to fail.

Blitzball is awful for a minigame. I've heard Tetra Master is good but I never bothered with it. I'm still a bit fuzzy on the FF9 cardgame but won the ingame tournament and a whole bunch of other matches by sheer plain dumb luck.

The Bounty Missions (Guild of Hunters from FF9) was awesome and really needs to come back again. I thought that was one of the most interesting and fun minigames, not too tedious (Well searching for the Behemoth King was a little lame) and not uber frustrating either (Though Yiazmat took far too long to kill).

Job system in FF5 was good, very good. Only issue is that a lot of the abilities were just plain useless and some of the jobs were a joke (Red Mage, Trainer...etc.) and that it took far too long to get the good abilities (Only one enemy gave out a lot of AP and it was in the last area and uber tough to find) so if they can tweak that, sure.

I had fun with blitzball after you get leveled up a bit it gets really fun. But yeah I loved the Bounty Idea, fing Carrot pissed me off so much XD

I guess I'm in the minority with this one, but I considered Blitzball the best mini-game in all of the FFs I played hands down and FFX was far from my favorite FF game. I found Blitzball extremely addictive. So much so that I actually booted the game up JUST to play blitzball and not even bother training or progressing with the story. It was the first and only FF mini-game that I enjoyed to THAT much of an extent. Most of the other FF mini-games I never really enjoyed or got into.

The even odder thing is that I dislike most sports titles.

anyone else agree with me that ff9 had the most intricate chocobo missions evar?

god, getting that black chocobo (or blue, can't remember) just to be able to walk on water and dig in the middle of fucking nowhere to get ultima weapon; god taht shit is engraved in my mind.

Yeah Shuyyin, I can't remember the black choco, but I know what you're talking about, the blue one was water, the red one could climb mountains and the gold flew... Not sure if there were other colors, it's been a good while. But yeah.... the hell with that digging mini game and the King Chocobo World sidquest after you get the gold one xD.

But I liked FF 9 the best out of all the Final Fantasies, with 8 pretty close behind. It might also be because 8 got me into the series.

I guess I'm in the minority with this one, but I considered Blitzball the best mini-game in all of the FFs I played hands down and FFX was far from my favorite FF game. I found Blitzball extremely addictive. So much so that I actually booted the game up JUST to play blitzball and not even bother training or progressing with the story. It was the first and only FF mini-game that I enjoyed to THAT much of an extent. Most of the other FF mini-games I never really enjoyed or got into.

The even odder thing is that I dislike most sports titles.

I completely agree Bliztball was the best. I still remember when ever I would start a new game I would have to go collect all my players. My favs are Biggs and Nav Guado

FFT definitly stands out as the best FF.
The reason VIII got on my nerves was that it was like a teenage soap opera or something. The whole everyone was from that orphanage was so stupid.
And XII had the worst story in the series.

Reasons? I mean I can agree it wasn't a great story and that we had become too used to the same formula Square had been using for some time but worst? FF5 had a pretty forgettable story, only thing people remember for it is that it's old, hard and had the best class system. FF5 had you chasing after a villain who wanted to turn himself (And succeeded) into a tree.

I'll be the token guy who says FF8 was a steaming piece of utter garbage.
My personal favorites for story were 6 and 10.
For gameplay, 5,7,9

-Idle

I have FF 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,10-2,12,Tactics,Tactics Advance.
I love Final Fantasy alot as you can tell. and im trying to beat them in order, and now im on VII.
My favorite is definately Final Fantasy Tactics. Ramza FTW. Tactics Advance is garbage..

Back