Game Mechanics: Past, Present, & Future

I can't help but get the feeling that any game series that constantly changes it's own mechanics drastically every game is a game that can't seem to get it right.

I feel the same way about elder scrolls.

Maybe I don't want a new SC game. Maybe what I really want is a brand new FG series.

I can't help but get the feeling that any game series that constantly changes it's own mechanics drastically every game is a game that can't seem to get it right.

I feel the same way about elder scrolls.

Maybe I don't want a new SC game. Maybe what I really want is a brand new FG series.
It happens when a game change the director. And not only in fighting games.

It happens when a game change the director. And not only in fighting games.
Well in the case of elder scrolls, every game had some broken exploitable thing that made your character invincible. They tried to address some of it with patches, but I think the real reason why that series changes so much is because they are trying to 'fix' something that's broken and in the process create something else that's equally broken.

Skyrim tried to 'fix' oblivion's overpowered magic system, and they made magic pathetically weak and made all melee broke as fuck due to smithing/enchanting/alchemy loops.

Honestly, whoever was in charge of those mechanics needs to be shot. Morrowind is not exception.

In SC, every game has something about it that isn't really a good thing, each game trying to fix something from previous games, while creating some other undesirable effects in the process. "Don't fix if it isn't broken", which is true for most things, but for SC it was broken from the beginning.

Other FG's don't change as much, and I think it has more to do with "don't mess with greatness" than it does "we need to make it fresh".

I think most people want the same old thing again and again. If they didn't they should consider playing different games. I don't want major overhauls in SC. I just want sensible balance tweaking and extensive glitch testing. At the end of the day I can adapt to any mechanics they chose, I just want a solid foundation is all.

I love being at a pixel of health and fishing for a CH 66b, and if that clean hit modifier pops up...... GOT DAYYUM!!!! You just got knocked the fuck out!!!

Back