Gamespot & IGN Play Soulcalibur V

Lately it seems like we're being flood with Soulcalibur V news and media the closer we are getting to the retail release of the game, which has recently went gold for anyone who happened to miss that announcement.

On Thursday, both Gamespot and IGN uploaded videos of their hands on with Soulcalibur V. The videos are worth checking out for those who want to hear more of the announcer or for those who want to get a better look at the stages or Natsu's second player costume. Don't expect much in the gameplay department.

Last edited by a moderator:
Copied from the Gamespot Thread (hence applies to the Gamespot Videos)

As you can see this only speaks to the point about it being a mistake attempting to market to non-gameplay oriented audiences. The judgement criteria are too illogical and innane, so they just rely on it saying Soul Calibur on it and make it shiny, and the core non-gameplay focused audience is happy. The criticisms made here basically have no logical justification and are almost pure emotional or personal taste issues. How can you market towards that? You can't.

I enjoyed this because it re-enforces what we already know: Read Hate Speech more.

Secondary Comment: Natsu's 2p makes me feel funny in weird places. I had considered messing with Natsu as a main because of how she plays; but the 2p costume is pretty nice. Even I am a shameless aesthetics whore sometimes. Maybe DK and Hawkeye can teach me how to dress and include me in their club. So cool!

This will always be the case, as far as reviewers and fighting games... They just don't know what they are talking about...

But there were some points made (gamespot idiots): This is Namcos attempt to make a street fighter of SC - and this version of SC seems to be filled with mechanics designed to help the less skilled... and than there is the GI which has always been with the block button and quite frankly a major component!

Yes they have no idea how to properly play... But some concerns over major changes were talked about (by idiots yes) but, i dunno, am I the only one who is tripping out that you cant counter freely now ?

Natsu's 2P is sick as fuck, I Can't wait to make it Black & Gold with Dragon prints on the side instead of a tiger!

The only thing it reinforces is that gaming "journalism" is beyond contempt.

If these guys had spent 5 minutes with google they would have found the answers to 99% of their questions, and that 80% of their statements about both Soulcalibur 5 and past games in the series are factually wrong.

I still maintain that this is an elaborate joke. We'll find out later that Gamespot hired Christopher Guest to direct these segments, which are basically meta-comedy sketches in which a bunch of actors effectively ad lib their way through commentary on games they've never even heard of before, using only information they've been supplied 5 minutes before filming, with at least half of that information being incorrect on purpose.

That bit at the end where they accidentally connect a Cervy agi and conclude that they've finally managed a "parry" is classic comedy.

I didnt look or listen to the video, but this is the general impression I get from ALL PLAYERS, casual or hardcore, whom never played SC. Total obliviousness.

Our mission is to educate.

The only thing it reinforces is that gaming "journalism" is beyond contempt.

If these guys had spent 5 minutes with google they would have found the answers to 99% of their questions, and that 80% of their statements about both Soulcalibur 5 and past games in the series are factually wrong.
This is the only thing that bothers me. If they can't play the game and have stupid opinions on subjective matters, fine. But constantly getting factual information wrong is unacceptable. But whatever.

Why does Natsu have hammer pants? Do not like. I hope I can change the hairstyle on her P1 costume which is 100x better except for the stupid hair.

Well, that was a painful 20 minutes or so. Sometimes I wonder why people who are getting extended hands on time with FGs can't prove to be somewhat competent at the end of their play session(s). My eyes hurt after rolling them every few seconds listening to the GameSpot commentary. And love Natsu's 2p, in fact I think all the 2p costumes we've seen so far are pretty cool. I can't quite explain why, but I definitely think it's a step above SCIV's 2p costumes.

Oh. My. God. Why are these 2Ps looking like 5 second CAS? R u serious?
Is there anything good about this game other than the fact that its new? Smh...talk about rushed.
Here's to hoping for a good end result...and some DLC 3P's -_-

Haha! "Probably never saw a Critical Finish except in Training mode, via SCIV."
Lmao I thought the EXACT same thing.
Like come on, you've obviously never played the game if you've never seen someone do a critical finish during an actual match. I did them all the time, they're not hard to pull off. I also agree that most of their arguements are empty ones.
P.S. I really like Natsu's and Astaroth's 2p costumes.

Man my sister could play better than these guys! And does Astaroth's 2p costume look a little different? I think the first time I saw it, Astaroth was a darker color. Whereas now, it's a little bit more gray.

I don't want to sound like an clique-y elitist, but in general, are all game reviewers that scrubby at FGs? Are the UMVC and SF4 previews at such an uninformed level, or does this affect the FG department of all the major game review sites?

They probably need 30+ hours to determine how much the graphics have improved are in the latest battlefield first person shooter so logically they may not have more than 10 minutes to spend on an FG

Back