Giving SCIV another shot, need some tips.

Wandrian

I don't know.
As blatantly superior as SCV is compared to SCIV, IV still has it's own charm in unique movesets V lacks and all that. However, I've never come even vaguely close to really understanding how to do more than mash in IV and the lack of some mechanics from V(hello Quick Step!) as well as the slower pace making things so significantly different present challenges.

Overall, how much do I have to change my gameplan compared to V? And how about specific characters? What's the general gameplan for Amy, Cassandra, Darth Vader, Seong Mi-na, Starkiller/Apprentice/whatshisface, Talim, Yunseong, and Zasalamel?

I'm asking in the casual forum since, well, it's a dead game and all. Nostalgia commands me to play again though :3

I don't really know how to answer your question but I did play SCIV for the first time in a long while a few weeks ago. It felt odd playing it again since I was so used to how V played. I was using Taki and I had Natsu's moveset stuck in my head lol. But after awhile, you regress back to how you play the game, at least for me that was the case. Especially with Ivy.

Overall, how much do I have to change my gameplan compared to V? And how about specific characters? What's the general gameplan for Amy, Cassandra, Darth Vader, Seong Mi-na, Starkiller/Apprentice/whatshisface, Talim, Yunseong, and Zasalamel?

I'm asking in the casual forum since, well, it's a dead game and all. Nostalgia commands me to play again though :3
Well, how do you usually play in SCV anyway? Do you prefer spacing or being more aggressive for example?

I can only comment on the wind prestess. For Talim, all I can say is that she kills noobs super quick. All dem flips and combos xD
Of course, in reality she's low tier because of how easy it is to interrupt her strings and she lacked things like auto-gi as well. It's just me but I was fond of her transition moves so I liked to keep pressuring and she did a good job of damaging the gauge like Raph. It's the mix-ups and pressuring style that I liked to use when it came to playing her. Take advantage of all the moves that allow you to transition into Wind Charmer(similar to Quick Step), Wind Salut, and Wind Leap. It gives you options and it's confusing for your opponent as your constantly on the attack and unless they know the match-up well, they'll have a harder time interrupting her. There's a great Talim guide by Zeroeffect in the SCIV SA that goes more in depth if you're interested in investing time in Talim so I'm just going to stop here. And it's been ages since I've touched Talim so I really don't remember much more about her.

I don't really know how to answer your question but I did play SCIV for the first time in a long while a few weeks ago. It felt odd playing it again since I was so used to how V played. I was using Taki and I had Natsu's moveset stuck in my head lol. But after awhile, you regress back to how you play the game, at least for me that was the case. Especially with Ivy.

I revisited SC4 a while back mainly because a friend couldn't get his head around scv- please don't ask.

My experience was - yuck. Way too laggy . And of course... had to retrain myself with Taki. How embarassing. As much as i loved sc4 I can only see its virtue for off line Gaming. Because Sc4 was horrendous with its net, it meant that it was the only game that made me go through controllers on a regular basis. To date SCV - i've only broken one controller.

Don't look back.

I think I'll get by mashing and using lag tactics whenver I play it. Asking for tips? Lolwut the fuck was I thinking?

Well with the Apprentice, you play a footsie style game where you BB and 2B+K:B+K, B, B, 6B to make them do something stupid. Then you catch them/punish their whiff with a 3B and just iFC 8K:A as many times as desired (usually until you're out of meter) and kill them with either the big damage or the pokes.

His grabs do stupid damage (even more than some characters in SCV!!) and when ever you're guarding, you mash A+B on block to never get grabbed.

In a nutshell, play with pokes and grabs until they let up and you get the beefy damage from 3B or 66A+B,B, 3K, 6B 3B, or 2A+B.

Back