Hate Speech: Character Selection

Our recent discussion of tiers sparked some interesting side discussion about why people select their main characters. Think back, for a moment to how you came to play your main character(s). What motivated your decision? Was it strategic, or did it just happen?

As with all new iterations of the game, SC5 will probably herald another large-scale shift in mains—I’ve mained a different character in every version of Calibur, myself—and we’ll also have an influx of players new to competitive Soul Calibur who are also looking for characters.

That being the case, I thought I’d devote this week to the ins and outs of character selection.

Radical Instrumentalism—It’s Not Just For Yngwie Malmsteen Anymore

OnAzK.jpg
Who?

The general principle I recommend in choosing a character is one of radical instrumentalism—that of seeing your particular character as ultimately a tool for you to use in order to achieve victory. It’s self-evident, right? Perhaps, but not as much as one might think. Indeed, the operative word in my definition above isn’t “tool,” but “you.” If selecting a character was simply a matter of choosing whichever gives the general player the best shot at winning, the process would be no more complex than consulting a tier list, but while such lists are excellent points of departure for the search, they’re not gospel. Your primary concern when approaching character selection should always be finding the character that gives you, as an individual player, the best shot at victory.

hI9IO.jpg
If only manliness was the best shot at victory in Soul Calibur, this guy would win everything forever.

Before we can do that, however, we need to engage in a little self-analysis. Think about your own play across a variety of games. Go back and watch videos if you have that luxury. The goal here is to create an inventory of your strengths, weaknesses, and preferences. Do you prefer fast characters, slower characters, or a mixture of the two? Would you rather be proactive about pushing mix-ups, or would you rather rely on defense and punishment? Are you good at highly technical or demanding execution? Do you fight better up close or from a distance? Ask yourself these and similar questions, taking care to answer them for yourself as honestly as possible. From this you can get a sense of what type of player you are, which in turn will give you some clues as to which characters might best suit you.

qbw49.png
Interestingly, this character appeals to people who want to win, and people who have other... tastes. Rarely do they meet.

Selection Models

1. Complementary: The complementary model involves choosing the character that most dramatically rewards the things at which you are already skilled, be they 50/50 mix-ups, making difficult punishes, zoning, etc. You simply identify those things at which you are most skilled and then find the character that gives you the best payoff.

2. Supplementary: The inverse of the complementary model, the supplementary approach involves finding a character with strengths that offset your own weaknesses. If you aren’t the best at complicated punishes, for example, a character with easy, brain-dead punishers might raise the overall level of your game.

3. Tier-Only: Some players are well-rounded enough to select a character based exclusively on that character’s strength relative to the rest of the cast. In that case, it truly is just a matter of finding the most powerful member of the cast and hitting the lab.

4. Ease-of-Use: For players with a generally high fighting game IQ who don’t necessarily have game-specific skills. If you’re just learning the game, or if you’re a smart player who doesn’t want to be encumbered by lots of technical marginalia, this is something to consider.

5. The Novelty Act: Knowing that most players tend to clump around self-evidently powerful or aesthetically interesting characters, this model involves purposefully seeking out a less-used character in order to gain additional advantages over opponents who may likely be ignorant of what yours can do at a high level.

There’s obviously some overlap within these models, so consider them more as general guidelines for consideration rather than exclusive categories.

A note on aesthetics: To this point, I haven’t made much of what a character looks like, how “cool” a character is, and so on, but don’t think that this consideration has no place in character selection. In fact, I’m firmly convinced that the more we like our characters, the more we identify with them on some level, the more engaged we become and thus the better we play. Playing a character you find to be boring or stupid looking will put you on the fast track to under-performance. You’re often better off choosing the mid-tier character you like over the top-tier character you can’t stand.

Example Time

My own process follows the outline above fairly well. First, I rule out all female characters, Kilik, Maxi, and Yun because I refuse to play chicks.

aOrMY.jpg
Apparently, I'm going to need one of these around here.

I then start looking at bigger, slower characters, preferably as evil as possible. By initially filtering based on my aesthetic concerns, I’m left with a pool of characters that at least appear interesting to me. I then turn to my self-assessment. I’m good at being patient, fighting from a distance, landing slow, awkward moves on people, and parsing complex mix-up scenarios. I’m not very good at utilizing very fast moves. Going with the complementary model, I try to find characters that have range, reward patience, hit hard, and generally aren’t AA/BB/2A dependent, which narrows the field significantly.

Of the remaining characters, I just play around with them and find the one that feels the most natural. The process is still governed by “feel” and other difficult variables to quantify, but starting from a more logical, objective strategy I vastly decrease the odds that I end up wasting time on characters I ultimately won’t like or can’t play to their potential.

Homework
Tell me how you came to choose your own character(s). Will you be switching for SC5? For those of you who’ve already said you’ll be maining Viola, ZWEI, or another new character, what guided that decision?

*Editors Note: We will add the slider image as soon as we get it. There was a 50/50 mixup and we guessed wrong. Will tech that shit into the slider later.

I think it is interesting to hear Hates say that aesthetics are not completely unimportant because I thought that he would echo Idle's opinion. KowTow for example is no scrub but has been talking about how the new Cervantes costume is unfathomably lame while Crow is excited due to his love of pink (pink Berserker days, anyone?). Kowtow also said he will main the highest tier non-loli, which begs the question what if Viola is on a tier all to her own? Decisions based on asthetics could greatly handicap him but still a guy has to have their pride.

But anyway the rationale for my character selections can vary. I was determined to learn Baiken in Guilty Gear because after reading up on her style I decided that it would be a good fit for my playstile while her design I find the least interesting of the entire cast. I used Lion in Virtua Fighter before Eileen because I have a love of functionally useless animal based martial arts. People who know VF know that Lion is one of the most annoying FG characters ever concieved (I still say Sigurd and Jin are worse though). Same rationale for Tekken got me interested in Lei and Zafina (although I admit I do get a certain perverse enjoyment out of Zaf's animations).

Cervantes is unique in that I love both his style and asthetics and after using him for so long he fits like a glove on my Calibur playstile. While I, like Rekano, know that I need to expand my specialization I don't think I will be able to give up Scurvy Cervy no matter how much they nerf him or how fruity he looks.

I have an strict rule of maining just 4 characters per game, and they have to be 2 guys and 2 chiks.
In SB I loved Sophi because of her design and I am German so I had to
use Siegfried, pure pride. I was 8 back then so I knew shit about tiers or matchups, to add two more to my rule, I started to use Mina and Cerv.
In SC I was already in love with my two mains Sophi and Sieg, but I wanted to change my other two so I switch to Taki and Hwang.
In SCII Sophi and Sieg/Nighty and since Hwang was gone I mained Raph and kept on using Taki.
SCIII Sophi and Sieg, but this time around Raph got my complete attention and Setsuka, she was pretty much as fast as Taki but was more complicated to use.
SCIV Sophi and Sieg, Raph was already a character I love so I kept on using him, but changed Setsuka for Mina, just because Mina was low tier and winning with her was a real challenge.
In SCV I will keep on using Sieg, but with Sophi gone I will switch to Pyrrah or Viola, and for the other two of course one is gonna be Raph and I really want to main Hilde this time around.

First I choose my characters based on their design, I mostly use only blond characters, no matter the game, don't ask me why.
Secondly I choose them because of their fighting style, it has to be badass but with style.
Third comes the personality, I like cocky characters but I hate immature fuckers like Yunshit.
Then comes the technical aspects, speed (I like fast characters but Sieg is Sieg), zonning, CH, mixups and tech traps. I don't care about tiers, low or high, if I like the character I'll use it, BUT, I do like challenge, so when someone says that a given character is shit, be sure I will main that charater just to kick that person ass with it.

I don't care about tiers, low or high, if I like the character I'll use it, BUT, I do like challenge, so when someone says that a given character is shit, be sure I will main that character just to kick that person ass with it.
Good for you... some top player said to me "Siegfried is better than Nightmare in this game, that character is really insane good!"

That Night I pick Nightmare, more people pick Nightmare too... everybody kicked his ass... "Oh Wow is so hard to play as Siegfried! I don't know how you still pick him".... the thing is that people won't know till somebody explain in a really violent way. I always check/test all the character in SC/SF series so I can really have a decent understanding of their features, so I can talk with knowledge. I encourage all of you to do the same :D

I pick a character that i can relate to, or just like the look/weapon off. i could care less if there good or not(id rather them not be though). I play Zasalamel because i think scythes are the coolest weapon in existence. I play Cerv because hes a challenge, That 214 just isent something i get every time so i have to work around me messing up. I played Raph because i could relate to him in the fact that i love rapiers and that he is left handed. It all depends on how i feel towards a characters look personality and weapon for me, not there power.I decided i want to main Z.W.E.I because of the fact he is a dark unknown character with magic about him and an interesting weapon. I rule out all females.

Soul Edge/Blade: Seigfried as he had a big sword, plate armor, and he could headbutt things. Rock as he could break weapons like a champ (yeah, remember that!?)

Soul Calibur: Astaroth for Damage out the ass and I wanted nothing more than to crush all the little girl players under the heel of a large, angry 3 year old. (I also played virtually everyone as the best way to prepare for a fight against a character is to understand them yourself)

Soul Calibur 2: Astaroth

Soul Calibur 3: Astaroth, though I didn't play SC3 all that much.

Soul Calibur 4: Astaroth and then someone, possibly the author of a weekly column on this site, said, "Hey you should pick up Hilde... and by 'you should' I mean do it." And so I play her now as well. (in addition to the ongoing dabbling with everyone in the cast)

Soul Calibur 5: Probably Astaroth and Hilde though who knows until I actually get my hands on the game.

My rule usually is that I only pick female characters. I don't know why I just never liked to pick guys. Their weapons were to............ bland -_- I like to play with faster females and kinda evasive ones that have to work for damage.

Soul Calibur 2: I was over my friend's house and I was 2p and this was the first time I played so I was just looking at the characters. I see Ivy and look at her 2p art and ask, "Hey, is she the President?" I mained Ivy after that. I got into Taki later on.

Soul Calibur 3: When I got this game I tried out Setsuka and found my new main. I later got into Tira, too.

Soul Calbur 4: I didn't really like Tira's new system so I didn't play her anymore. I tried to main Setsuka for a while but gave up. Now, I'm maining Amy to train for Viola.

Soul Calibur 5: This time around I'm DEFINITELY maining Viola. See my reasons in first paragraph.

I like unique characters like voldo in SB, as the SC series progressed the styles of each character went more in depth. i then learned a few other characters.

In SCV i really just want to learn all the new characters because they are new and they have very interesting syles. I also want to experiment with new characters and with the differences of the returning SC characters.

I will main voldo, Tira, Raphael, Talim (if she returns), and Viola......and other submains (lol)

I would like to main viola because she is very interesting due to her mixups and stalling. I always wanted to learn the more "difficult" characters because of the challenge and i find their styles the most unique.

Depends.. on casuals i just pick characters that look cool. In tournament play i just pick the character im best with regardless of how they look.

For me, I pick characters based off their fighting style - at first - its always characters that are easy to learn i.e. Mitsurugi and Siegfried for beginners. But as I progress, my inner self craves more, so I allow myself to be exposed to more of the list.

In SC IV I mained Mitsu, Siggy and Taki.

Voldo. Sexy, blind, moon walking, incomprehensible, 65 year old man in a thong, yea...... The Novelty Act. That is all.

I've always pretty much mained because of aesthetics, but that became harder as the years gone by, and the game got more complex, which narrows it down to aesthetics and ease of use.

Let's start with mains:

Soul Blade - Seong Mi-Na, Taki
Soul Calibur - never played
Soul Calibur 2 - Talim, Yun-seong, Cassandra
Soul Calibur 3 - Talim, Tira, Seong Mi-Na
Soul Calibur IV - (here we go) Sophitia, Amy, Tira, Cassandra, Raphael, Seong Mi-na, Kilik

Now, in Soul Calibur V, I hope to pick up a lot of people, namely Pyrrha, Patroklos, Z.W.E.I., Viola, Leixia, Xiba, Natsu, and Dampierre, as well as picking up Tira and maybe Raphael.

I'm shocked and appalled that there are people on this website that never played SC1. Sadd Sadd Shame.

Also, after playing MK2, MK3, Marvel Superheroes back in mid 90's, I realized to truly be a good at a game, one must be good with not one, not two, but ALL CHARACTERS to truly say you understand and are good at a game.

In SC-SC4 I've always had a "Main" but I usually change it as the game dies down.

SC1 - Mitsu main, with Kilik Maxi everybody on the side.

SC2 - Mitsu, evolved to Taki. People considered me a Taki player after becuz she was "better" than my Mitsu. I used all the characters except Raph Cass Yun in this one.

SC3 - Taki main. Once X was getting out of hand, and I realized Taki could barely deal with Soph/Cass (altho Taki was top 5 IMO) I needed another "i10 AA". Insert Voldo. Include his Mantis A+K/Hump/66 Shenanigans, and the rest was History. Oof considered Voldo my Best by SC3 end. I still used all characters except Zas. Added Amy, especially for SC3AE. Where I found here 66B JF (without sparkle) that could bounce a grounded opponent.

SC4 - As above, I began with Voldo, using Taki Mitsu Amy Maxi Rock Setsuka all on the Side. At this Rate, I will likely be maining Setsuka in SC5, since no one does her Justice. I will likely use the entire Cast, as well as main one of the Fresh characters.

In the End, character decision for me is about FUN!! I have Fun using Stance Mitsu sans 2K/3B mixups. I have Fun using Taki sans Bomb whorage. I LOVE VOLDO beccause its like dancing. We'll see who I revolutionize come SC5.

Let me take you back to soul calibur 1 on the dream cast. I was fairly young, still in elementary school and I just got home from a really long and grueling day of being made fun of by 7th graders. A friend of mine comes over with his dream cast and shows me soul calibur. At first, I was not a fan, I tried Cervantes, Astaroth, Ivy and maxi but none suited me. Then, I chose him, Mitsurugi.

From the moment he stepped on screen, I knew I would like playing as him. His confident tude, his weapon of choice, but more importantly: his moves. He was difficult at first, I got my ass handed to me about 5 times. By the 6th time I learned about half of his moves just by tooling around. Needless to say, I got 3 perfects with him (and not relying on spamming a combo). It was not his visual style (though I enjoyed that about him) and it was not his weapon, but it was the feeling he gave me when I used his moves to defeat my opponent. The rush and clam of a battle won.

As for playing as a new character, it is customary for me to try out all new comers to see if I would like to train with them further. To me, I can not judge a character on looks alone. I hate how zwei looks, but what of his style? I will never know till I give him a try. And of course I will be using the old ronin as my main most likely.

Hmm, just thinking back on my SC history of characters I played.

SC - Asta, Nightmare, Cervy, Mitsu
SC2 - Nightmare, Cervy, Asta, Cassandra, Mitsu
SC3 - Zasa, Asta, Cerv', Mitsu, Siegfried, Cassandra
SC4- Cerv', Cassandra, Asta, Amy

I generally played the same characters in all of them. Asta and Cerv' is consistent. Except when 3 came out. I didn't like Nighty then and played Siegfried which was find. Then with 4 almost found him useless, but I played him for sh*ts and giggles.

I always like the slower, powerful, 'Deebo'-like and the average, cool-looking (Cerv's a goddamn pirate) characters. My switch to Amy in 4 was simply tier-whoring and she was really easy to use. I sucked with her so hard tho' and Del was supposed to coach me. He ain't teach me sh*t.

I play almost everyone in Tekken but I do play Paul in all of them b/c of character loyalty. First character I played in Tekken 2 when I was, like, ten I think.

Street Fighter I like Dhalsim though I don't play him. (Only in Turbo.) In SSF4: AE I play Gief and I am horrible. I like "keep-away" characters and characters that run away, but hate charge chars'.

I dunno what to make of all of this. I'll give myself more time to think.

and Del was supposed to coach me. He ain't teach me sh*t.
Ahh such is life. he has done this to many people and broke their hearts. He is a scoundrel and a liar! But we all still love his. He does live up to his moniker though when it comes to trying to learn anything from him. He really does kill dreams.

Oh. My. God. And when was the last time you even decided to show up a tournament? Let alone talk about a session? Dramatic -_-

Oh, you do exist! I see how it goes, bro. You ain't do nada unless I talk sh*t on yo' name, huh? Hahahaha... I did want some of your coaching. Mostly you would say something to the effect, 'It's Amy. You don't have to think.' LOL. I are disappoint.

Your primary concern when approaching character selection should always be finding the character that gives you, as an individual player, the best shot at victory.

Yet another Hate Speech article that is identical to my own FG philosophy. Once again, Hates, you are spot on.

I main Sophitia. When I first started playing SCIV I was a casual player and I had played SC1 and 2, with my best character being Mitsurugi, Sophitia, and Siegfried/NM. As I played online ranked and with my friends I won with Sophitia more than any other, since she is a braindead easy character to play at a low level.

Fast forward to now, and I haaaate Sophitia. I've been trying to switch mains ever since I got bored of only playing Sophitia, which was early on. No other character ever got close to the level of my Sophie, no matter how much time I put into other characters. I've also tried adding inordinate amounts of complexity to my strategy as Sophie, a character where that will benefit the least, in an attempt to make her fun. It worked out pretty well, but I have the sneaking suspicion that I'd be a better player if I just spammed BB and turtled like every successful Sophie player in the tournament scene.

In SCV I originally planned to play Patroklos, since the character is everything I asked for in aesthetics and mechanics. It's crazy how close they got to my dream character design. The +frame low kick, aGI sabaki, and his aesthetics were exactly what I wanted. Problem is, he seems really weak in the demo. I'd rather play Siegfried if he isn't nerfed.

Live streams

9 Viewers
Deyzuna_
Deyzuna_
This game is awesome!
4 Viewers
iggyxslips
iggyxslips
Fresh off work, lets play SOULCALIBUR!
4 Viewers
marigram
marigram