Hate Speech: Come to the Dark Side

I don’t remember my first tournament. I can deduce a few things about it, however: it was sometime in 2002, in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and I probably went out like a scrub. My second tournament sticks more clearly in my mind. A veteran local loudmouth didn’t take me seriously enough, and I pulled out a completely unexpected win.

Of course, I then proceeded to get rolled, but the one and only Michael Jackson bought me a buffet pass at Golden Corral as my own little consolation prize. I didn’t need all-you-can-eat fried chicken and mashed potatoes to keep me interested, though — I was already hooked.

Fighting games, particularly Soul Calibur games, have been my drug of choice for a long time now, and there are plenty of reasons why. They’ve given me occasion to travel, to meet a ton of people I otherwise wouldn’t have, and provided an outlet for my intense competitive drive. At a more fundamental level, they engender a complex, fast-paced mode of thinking that is at once rule-bound and rule-breaking, analytical and creative, and which is uniquely pleasurable. Add to that the satisfaction of overcoming obstacles, seeing oneself improve, and the visceral joy of smacking around some loudmouthed asshole who didn’t know when to quit, and we’re talking about a heady combination. It’s also something that gets better as more people become involved; there’s nothing whatsoever like the atmosphere of a big tournament.

For veteran players, the above sentiment should be little more than preaching to the choir, but 8wayrun.com isn’t just a collection of grizzled old-schoolers. This week’s article is for the newcomer, the avid “casualcore” fan, and especially people who think “I’d like to give competitive play a try, but . . .” So without further preamble, allow me to present:

The Case for Competitive Play

UXAny.jpg
I will now attempt to speak using internet hieroglyphics in an attempt to reach a broader audience. This means "skeptical" right?

I. It’s More Fun

Why do we play games? It’s a simple question with a complex array of answers. For our purposes, it’ll suffice to say that there are a lot of different, often surprising motivations for playing any game, but usually these can all be described with the shorthand word “fun.” So what precisely is fun, apart from another nightmarish moving target when it comes to definitions? Frankly, it doesn’t matter, because whatever your reason for enjoying any game, playing that game more deeply enhances the fun. Since I know I’m dealing with an aggressively effete, intellectual crowd here, I submit chess as an example.

You first discovered the game when you realized there were horsey pieces, and horseys go “neigh,” which is fantastic. Soon after, it dawned on you that sticking pawns up your nose was hilarious. Over time, however, that began to lose its luster. You gradually became aware of the idea that the pieces could be used to play a board game, and moving them in accordance with certain rules allowed you to take pieces from your opponent and stick them up your nose. It was a revelation. Your motivations (ponies are adorable, my nostrils are chess piece-sized for a reason) didn’t necessarily change, but they expanded to encompass increasingly complex behaviors. Additionally, your notion of what is fun expanded and changed along with your understanding of the game.

Similarly, fighting games first enticed many hardcore players with superficial hooks. Confronted with reaching the inevitable limits of fun imposed by screwing around, mashing, and otherwise interacting superficially with the game, they chose to press onward rather than abandon it. Eschewing for the time being notions of “correct” or “incorrect” play, we can say that tournament players are playing more deeply by acknowledging the rules of the game. It’s no different than learning to bop question-mark blocks in Mario Bros or figuring out how to buy equipment in an RPG—deeper engagement with a game yields greater fun-reward.

II. Added Value

We’re seeing the first round of SC5 reviews hitting the web, and one common characteristic is some level of whining about the limitations of a three-hour story mode. It’s understandable, to a point. Taken as a narrative-driven single-player experience, a fighting game is pretty underwhelming. Competitive play transforms a game with three hours of hokey story and a few more hours’ worth of grinding for unlockables into a pastime that’ll last for years. Moreover, investment in competitive play augments the narrative experience.

If you’re a player who finds himself putting down fighting games after a while in order to play something else for the story, consider that the competitive scene allows us to write our own stories (and no, damn it, I don’t mean slash fiction). At the highest levels, we find ourselves rooting for particular players in tournaments, but that isn’t the only storyline. Consider the narrative of the new guy, an underdog who starts off meagerly but eventually proves himself. Competitive play allows you to be that guy. The inverse is true, too—I, for one, love playing the villain.

LaiIz.jpg
True Story: I have "Sweep the leg" tattooed just over my heart. Right next to my American Flag.

III. Tournaments Are Amazing

Playing deeply is more fun than just messing around, and, by extension, a whole lot of playing deeply is more fun than that. Don’t get me wrong, tournaments can be frustrating, physically and mentally exhausting affairs, but they’re also a blast. Putting faces to the names online, competing against each other, hanging out, and seeing the country (or the world) are all worth it. Dive in with both feet and you’ll make friends and enemies to last a lifetime.

IV. You Don’t Have To Be Rich

Consoles, games, arcade sticks, plane tickets, hotel rooms, gas money . . . these are all daunting expenditures facing competitive players from time to time, so how can this be a hobby for anybody other than spoiled, rich little snots? First and foremost, it’s not because, well, it’s not.

Demographically speaking, fighting gamers reflect a large socioeconomic cross-section. Some people live well and have it easy, but most of us scrape and save in order to fund travel. We carpool, we share hotel rooms, and we have a hell of a good time in the process. In fact, those situations are some of the best contributors to the fun of tournaments and the friendships we form. Still, there’s a hint of the pathological about it, as many tournament skeptics are quick to point out, but consider this: if paying for a tournament can prompt a (relatively) rational, (arguably) sane person to bust ass and save money, it must be a pretty addicting experience.

V. It Gets You High

Emotion expert Paul Ekman, in his book Emotions Revealed, identifies a feeling known as “fiero.” In brief, fiero is an intense sense of accomplishment which comes after overcoming a particularly difficult obstacle. If you’ve ever loosed a primal scream of victory, ever pumped your fist in the air and yelled “YES!” through clenched teeth, or anything like that, you have experienced it. At the neurochemical level, fiero floods your brain with delicious dopamine and a norepinephrine chaser. As games researcher Jane McGonigal states in Reality is Broken, it’s “one of the most powerful neurochemical highs we can experience.”

The idea behind this trailer was to highlight that "fiero" at the tournament level.

All human beings are fiero junkies to a degree. Competitive players definitely are. The great advantage we have is that games, competition, and the like are amazingly efficient at creating the conditions under which intense fiero can be experienced. You don’t need to win major tournaments to feel it, either; dosing up on fiero can be as simple as mastering a technique, defeating your best friend, or setting a new personal best in a local tourney. Next time you find yourself thinking that the tourney players are getting way too riled up over a simple game, remember this: it feels really, really, really good.

VI. You Don’t Have To Be The Best Ever . . .

Nobody becomes a “pro” overnight. Hell, most competitive players never reach the highest echelons of performance, but they still have a great deal of fun. One theme I’ve touched on throughout this piece is that there are myriad little rewards along the way. Competing, improving, and socializing are all enjoyable irrespective of whether you ever win EVO. Competitive play doesn’t have to be work, and, frankly, it shouldn’t be.

VII. . . . But You Could Be

What’s stopping you? Your twisted little mind might just take to high-level play exceptionally well, and with serious practice you could find yourself winning tournaments. Every single person at the top had to start off somewhere.

VIII. There’s No Time Like the Present

This is an amazing time to start getting involved in competitive Soul Calibur. Whenever you pick up a fighting game, you inevitably run into players who’ve been around longer than you, who possess a great deal of legacy skill, and who, frankly, beat the shit out of you in a very not-fun sort of way. The gap between the haves and the have-nots can be quite intimidating. Alternatively, sometimes you find yourself enjoying a game but unable to find a regular local scene, and therefore you’re simply unable to practice, play, or improve.

Fortunately for new players, the release of a new game works against both of those potential problems. As I said in my hands-on preview, SC5 throws enough new mechanics at veterans that what they already know will only take them so far. Yes, they’ll start off with a large advantage, but not an insurmountable one. Deciding right now to take the game “seriously” means you won’t start off too far behind the curve. Additionally, and perhaps even more importantly, a new game means heightened interest. If, unluckily, you live somewhere without a really established scene, there should be enough people around you who like the game that you can create one. Use this site and others as resources, locate nearby Calibur fans, and step your game up together.

Homework:
“Casualcore” folks, give it a shot. Ask questions here, reach out to people, find locals and semi-locals, etc. Vets, I confessed to getting beaten up badly when I started—what are your early tournament experiences? What was your first major rush? Why do you play competitively?

More shameless self-promotion: @Original_Hater on twitter, bug me to your heart’s content.

We need you to step up and begin the SC Nip-Slip Archive. Think you're up to it?

Ask around--I'm not that bad. Norcal's a good place to learn Calibur, really, as we have a wide variety of skill levels represented. You'll have plenty of people to act as resources for you, and also folks with whom you can learn and improve.
Yeah, I think this is the best time to really get out there and be apart of the scene and the community~ I mean hearing about the gathering at GameCenter has me really hyped too so I hope to me you guys there and at future events~

If that was you messing around with Nightmare then Im in for a real surprise then~
Hates, from experience of playing him via SCIV (Note: he was rusty as FUUck) still showed excellent play. You're in NorCal, hope you stick around to play him and the other fellas'.

Anyways, for my first tournament experiences--
Devestation 2K10;
I had been playing online for awhile at this point. Which helped me greatly. I placed 5th, and only hardened veterans were able to keep ahead of me. I, as a lot of the new"er" school players, had the awesome tool of online to help prep for real time level. I was very pleased with my performance.

Next big thing was FSAK. Round Robin format, I did pretty well with 11th overall. I took out some big names, and went neck to neck with Thugish (he beat me at the last round, though.) This was my second event, and with a few MM victories under my belt, and recognition as a set offline player, this was one of my favorite tournaments.

My next tournament, I ended up winning. A smaller tournament compared to the last two, but some good competition. It was my Pasadena experience, and I was only on top of my game thanks to the constant prep with KrayzieCD and NDK. I took gold, and was pleased.

My last tournament I attended was DEV2K11. I am very new to the scene still, but have met some of the best people that I'll be friends with forever. Played the best of the best, and sometimes maintained VS them. I have established my name as one of the top online players, an example of online to offline transitioning(that it is possible) and have earned recognition as a skilled players, among top tier players. But nothing beats the friendships I've gained.

Hope new people can take me and other newer school players as an example to go and dive into the competitive scene. It's fuckin' fun.

Great read, I hope a scene develops in Kansas. I know it most likely won't happen, I'm just sick of my only competition around here being my friends Cass. I need tournaments around here (or at least in Oklahoma :D)
Oh there's an OK scene for Soul Calibur. If only for SC lol.

I like the word Casualcore

He-Heyy! Congratz on such an elaborate and in-depth article! It's great! It even touched upon the one issue my mind was loaded with, the one thing that inhibits me from entering a tournament, the funds to travel.

I'm sorry, but I must point out that if you (you, in general) ever got money from your parents to buy a plane ticket or a hotel room in order to play a game, yeah, your a rich snot –whether little or obese. On the other hand, if such funds came by way of your own sweat and/or footwork, well God Bless You! In this economy, I'm still wondering how I'll be able to reserve enough money for a PS3 bundle and an HD tv. Oh yes, I'm getting the CE SC5 for PS3, it's on reserve at Best Buy (got my money back from Gamestop :D). Kind of a cart-before-the-horse thing. But if you know this cart,which you can use without a horse, is only available for a limited time (unlike other carts) and horses are abundant indefinitely, why not get the cart?

Anyways i must concur with you about the journey being as justified as the destination. I imagine it's much like getting your band together in the van and joining Warped Tour or Ozzfest. Camaradarie of perfect strangers under a common goal. But the difference is that "one great rock show can change the world!" Can a game?

P.S. i love the chess analogy! And to combine this analogy with the fiero experience he mention, as well as RPGs, I'd like to state that my favorite condition for this is manifested in DDO (dungeons & dragons online). It's due to your deeper engagement into what you are creating that a greater sense of accomplishment is revealed. Why "Online"? Because like Hates stated, you get to enjoy goofing off with the elements of the game prior to understanding what exactly the full extend of the game is. On pen&paper, you pretty much need all the intell on builds for it to be pleasing, if you're a lay-person. If you follow a predetermined path that is provided in DDO, you will fall into many disappointments as the full extent of a quest is beyond you. But if you plunge your mind into understanding what a character build yields and the potential behind it, then that stronger sense of accomplishment arises. You will be exceedingly pleased to know that it was your careful tailoring of your toon that allowed you and your companions to get the most out of a quest!! You WoW players don't even know. "Four other people were depending on me to come out of this alive, and I didn't let them down." Enter fiero. "I got the quest reward and it's teeming with attribute enhancements!" Enter fiero. This game is at the other end of the spectrum from SC competition, you collaborate with your peers, instead of ripping their egos from their souls. Both ends of this spectrum can be found in Call of Duty and the like. But the deeper engagement is not simply with game mechanics, but with the psychology of your colleagues as you lead them to victory. Plus one gets the fiero out of overcoming the opposing faction you just crushed. This is on top of the adrenaline that comes from emotionally immersing yourself in a situation where you feel the need to survive. The immense addiction of people using CoD supports Hates analogy and Paul Ekman's inference. And as RPGs go, the only reason to play DDO these days is because Elder Scrolls ain't an MMO. Is anybody here awaiting the intensity of SW:OR?

Unfortunately, there's no way I will be able to make to anything outside of Arizona (I have to save for my next semester of college classes, and don't own a car). Hopefully, though, some of you will have the privilege of kicking my arse at the first SCV tournament in my area. :)

At least you have a community in Arizona for SC. I've tried bulletins at my College, word of mouth, even Craig's list, people where I live just don't play SC.

If SCV online is near lag free, it may have a huge impact on how/where tournaments are held. It may mean that poor people like me can participate in a tournament.

I live in Greensboro, North Carolina. It's semi-close to Charlotte and Winston-Salem. Rednecks tend to play FPS, not FG :)

Anyone near me please shout at me VERY LOUDLY. I'm desperate for offline competition. I'm fully willing to be the one who drives to YOU.

Thank you for this article. A disturbing trend I'm seeing as of late is the rise of a crowd that doesn't seem to understand the relationship between fighting games and tournament play. And when I say "not understand" I mean "don't like the concept of going out to face other players." It's sad to think that a genre, lauded by many for getting people out of their homes and have them interact with each other face to face (seriously, there's even a UCLA study on it), is now being plagued by players who don't want to be social and would rather conform to the "basement dweller" stereotype.

What you'e driving at there is related to something I've actually touched on before: namely, the conflicts that arise from markedly different gaming genealogies. Check my dissertation for the looooong version when it's available, but the CliffNotes version is that most contemporary console game(r)s now conform to the Internet's mode of sociability. The tournament scene and the oldschool FGC folks are part of a tradition that actually descends from taverns and other so-called "third places."

We have a lot to overcome.

So, speaking of coming to the dark side, any tournaments on the east coast USA that are reasonably close to Greensboro, NC? Less than 200 miles is ideal.

A very good article. I'm still part of the "too young to move around" team but this made me even more interested in getting in a tournament in the future.

Pardon me, but are you involved in advertising or something like that? You could sell sunscreens to eskimos.

Live streams

18 Viewers
noxdeanoctis
noxdeanoctis
Good morning for some SC!
1 Viewers
ApolloXXXCreed
ApolloXXXCreed
[EN] [XBOX] for one to gain another has to lose /Grinding...

This week's events

SoulCalibur VI EVO Japan side event
Ariake GYM-EX, Tokyo (Tokyo Big Site)
3-chōme-11-1 Ariake, Koto City, Tokyo 135-0063, Japan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca9974
Back