= Help uncle Gatsu to find ideas for his gallery =

Gatsu

[14] Master
For work reasons sooner or later i'm going to move from deviantart to something more professional, maybe personal site maybe another thing

Short story i'm searching new ideas to refresh the gallery, suggestions are welcome :D

Just throw shit here, if an idea catch me i will do and post here the works, maybe even the work in progress sequence.
Please just not suggest anime/VG/comics related stuff like "do xxx character from yyy series", original imputs are what i need

Here is my actual gallery (click on picks to see full size)
http://damodega.deviantart.com/gallery/

Well, I would certainly like to see your take on easy stuff to see how you spice it up... How about the Knights Templar? That's a pretty interesting source of inspiration that most people forget in favor of more generic fantasy knights.
KnightTemplar.jpg

Knights_Templar_2.jpg

templar.jpg

main.php

I don't know how I can help with my limited knowledge, but what warriors haven't you done? That's usually what I like to think. Then I think about experimenting with existing ideas and figuring out what can I cookie cut to make my own.

Then repeat.

Pardon this video game pic post, but maybe exploring different cultures you haven't tried could help.
civilization_nav_main.gif

@Norik and Koko: more than a subject,what i'm searching is a "scene", also to stay as possible out from the "chara design" tunnel :D
Example one friend told me to make a scene with guys hunting a dragon,from there i made this
big_game_by_damodega-d5u3n0z.jpg

@Luneth: the first link is awesome, it was yet in my favourites... thing is i'm trying to avoid watching too much galleries, to not end up just staight copy somebody else ideas :D

@Norik and Koko: more than a subject,what i'm searching is a "scene", also to stay as possible out from the "chara design" tunnel :D
Then, I'd think about something that can set off a theme to make a scene.

Example:
I think Mongol. Then I think Mongol stabbing a guy. Then I think a muscular anti-hero badass Mongol stabbing some pitiful cur in a violent tempest of fire in a war setting.

That's just my limited knowledge though haha.

@Koko
I made a quick sketch, here (click to see full size)
mongol_sketch_by_damodega-d5uozcj.jpg

Fun idea but maybe not something that help variety in the gallery, i saved it in BW version btw,so maybe one day i colour and work on it

@Norik
VERY interessing idea, but i've to plan it
I've maybe yet thinked something,but i've to find a way to develop it :D
It's a strange subject because i've to find the right angle to take the big whole scene, but at the same time keep details

MOAR BOOBS!!!

lol. just kidding.

I think a pleasant idea would be an extreme close up of one of your characters, with the opponent seen emerging towards the subject, as seen in the reflection of the character's eyes, or sword. Depending on which one you prefer.

Not sure what you're looking for , but my take on your gallery is this:

Excellent work, really like the compact angular figures. As far as what I see is needed is more "settings" or the classic establishing shot. Your backgrounds are excellent, but they are just backgrounds relative to the foreground figure work. Not sure of the goal, other than to get add'l work, so my thoughts below relate to spot illos, portfolio work to show range, etc.

My thought is something that is all setting ; small figures in the foreground, with a jarring image center frame. Like travelers in a desert landscape that come across an ice city, or a futuristic skyscraper landscape rising out of a tropical jungle, covered in vines and quite old.static images, simple concepts, but with visual impact. Really liked the tower triptych/sequence you did, excellent visual impact, nice geometry. Other ideas maybe too, let me know what you think of these.

Again excellent work, makes me want to put down the dual shock and pick up the pencil again.

Sorry for the late reply, lol i forget to have created this thread :D

@Quinion: yeah effectively for one time focus just on the scenario and left figures as secondary role will be a nice change.
Now i got some commissions,so for a while i've my hands full, but i will definitely remember this when i'm again at refresh gallery

Seeing your art has inspired me. These are breathtaking. What programs do you use for these? It's gotta be more then photoshop. Corel Painter maybe? Not sure.

Pen/pencil sketch (like the one above) -> photoshop (an old one too)

Just work a lot with layers

Oh god the layers. I'm still learning how to use photoshop. Professors want me to use something more professional besides markers (though copic markers wouldn't be to bad idk). I'm getting the hang of it but still.

One more question, where do you get the references for your poses?

He's right,there are definitely better programs

For the poses most of times i don't use references, in some rare case if i need i just watch between my personal pics, if i don't find anything i go by google images (if i'm doing some payed job piece possibly i skip first pages, to avoid famous pics under clear copyright)

Back