Hey there

yugzilla

[08] Mercenary
Hi. My name is yugzilla or zilla and i come from the UK. I been playing fighting games my entire life and the soul series has been the fighting game i played the most when i was young which is why im here :).

i played most of the soul caliber games from soul caliber 1 to 4 (never played soul edge or five) but i say im probably the best at either 2 or 3. I still play these games on my ps2 to this day from time to time to reteach me techniques and strategies i could take and apply to other games as well as nostalgia. I could play most of cast in soul series at a decent level but im probably the best with Astraroth or Kilik in SC2 and Zasalamel in SC3 and 4

I have not got the HD online edition of SC2 but i get it eventually. If you need any help with strategies for certain characters or game mechanics like step guard,2G etc then just PM me :)

Thats all i have to say really and hope to make some new friends in SC2. see you on the battlefield

Welcome, where in UK you from? Too bad you don't play SCV, we have tournament coming up.

thanks. Im from London in case you were wondering.

I don't play SCV because i don't have it, Just have not got round to buying it but i still keep up with the tiers and the tourneys etc from time to time so i know how the game/system works so i still can lend a hand or two

You can't really be in the 'know' of a game if you don't play it. Theory and practice are 2 different things, as I always tell me fellow engineers. You can have a perfect blueprint on paper and then when the thing is built it fails for reasons that you didn't anticipate.

That being said, stick with SC2. No game since has been anywhere near as good as that one. SCV is a close second, but still not as good. Why? Because fighting games went down the toilet when arcades died. They tested games for balance by letting people play them, and then releasing a console version with balance changes. It's the reason why SC2 has, and always will have, better balance than any game since.

But hey I just realized that I broke one of the websites 'sacred' rules. I'm not allowed to bash any SC game. Woopsie daisy.

You can't really be in the 'know' of a game if you don't play it. Theory and practice are 2 different things, as I always tell me fellow engineers. You can have a perfect blueprint on paper and then when the thing is built it fails for reasons that you didn't anticipate.

That being said, stick with SC2. No game since has been anywhere near as good as that one. SCV is a close second, but still not as good. Why? Because fighting games went down the toilet when arcades died. They tested games for balance by letting people play them, and then releasing a console version with balance changes. It's the reason why SC2 has, and always will have, better balance than any game since.

But hey I just realized that I broke one of the websites 'sacred' rules. I'm not allowed to bash any SC game. Woopsie daisy.

My friend, you are soaking the matches with fire. Don't become the next old bitter man because kiddies that are mods rustle your jimmies. There's nothing wrong with opinions, but everyone has different ones. Remember, what what you think works may not work for everyone. However, let yugzilla breathe. He's still new like you and needs to go through things.

thanks. Im from London in case you were wondering.

I don't play SCV because i don't have it, Just have not got round to buying it but i still keep up with the tiers and the tourneys etc from time to time so i know how the game/system works so i still can lend a hand or two

You should get a copy and come along, here are the details: http://8wayrun.com/threads/sep-12-2015-edge-master-series-major-2015-london.19126/
Not too hard to adapt to a new version of the game if you're already good at the previous ones. My 360 has SC2HD on it so we can play that on the next day if you like.

You should get a copy and come along, here are the details: http://8wayrun.com/threads/sep-12-2015-edge-master-series-major-2015-london.19126/
Not too hard to adapt to a new version of the game if you're already good at the previous ones. My 360 has SC2HD on it so we can play that on the next day if you like.

thanks but i have to decline since i probably won't get around to buying it since i got things to do at that time

i don't have SC2HD and i also dont have a 360

Cool hopefully SC3HD will come out and we'll play on that.

I doubt they do SC3HD anytime soon, Namco got lots of fighting games to do from Tekken 7 to Tekken x Street Fighter to Pokken tournament. The latest major soul game will probably be out in 2017-2018 so we just have to wait.

That is a fair point and i do agree with you but i still could help in some way one way or another.

i kinda disagree with your statements, SC2 is probably the best in the series but thats just peoples opinions, some people could really enjoy SC3 or SC5 or any soul game for the matter and say its the best in the series.

Fighting games did die down during the timespan from 03-09 when arcades died since there was nothing noteworthy to catch peoples intrest but their have been decent games coming out at the time like tekken 4-5, soul calibur 3 and iv mortal kombat Deadly Alliance,Deception and Armageddon etc but in 2009 street fighter iv came out and that resparked peoples interest in fighting games again and soon more fighting games became popular like marvel vs capcom 3, mortal kombat 2011, Tekken tag 2 and Tekken 6. This made people get more involved and their was more decent players as well as player base around as well for each game.

Testing games from arcades was good back in the day but now we are in a better spot since were more involved with the game evolving and development. Developers themselves do alphas/betas were people get a taste of the game before its out and to test out the system so the developers can get their feedback from the players and develop these changes to what the players want. Also quick balance changes can be done during their lifespans where they can just do a quick update and fix bugs which could break the game or make a charcter umbalanced.
street fighter is the exception because they introduce more then just balance changes such as new game mechanics and new characters. New characters are also key because its make the game more interesting and make people want to play it more as well as evolving the game itself
(look at Mortal Kombat X and Killer Instinct as prime examples).

But hey, im sure you can disagree with some/all of my responses or agree with some/all of my responses but this just my opinion on what you were saying. Fighting games are not dead, Their growing at a fast rate behind the MOBA genre.

Last edited:
My friend, you are soaking the matches with fire. Don't become the next old bitter man because kiddies that are mods rustle your jimmies. There's nothing wrong with opinions, but everyone has different ones. Remember, what what you think works may not work for everyone. However, let yugzilla breathe. He's still new like you and needs to go through things.
I may be new to this site but I am certainly not new to forum websites. They all pretty much operate the same way, with the exception that this particular site regulates the content more than a communist society regulates it's government.

I don't really get was all the fuss is about. People express their opinions, you either disagree and ignore, or you comment and try to argue a point. Either way, no harm done. The world keeps spinning. Why do people make such a big deal out of this? It's a fucking video game, not politics.

That is a fair point and i do agree with you but i still could help in some way one way or another.

i kinda disagree with your statements, SC2 is probably the best in the series but thats just peoples opinions, some people could really enjoy SC3 or SC5 or any soul game for the matter and say its the best in the series.

Fighting games did die down during the timespan from 03-09 when arcades died since there was nothing noteworthy to catch peoples intrest but their have been decent games coming out at the time like tekken 4-5, soul calibur 3 and iv mortal kombat Deadly Alliance,Deception and Armageddon etc but in 2009 street fighter iv came out and that resparked peoples interest in fighting games again and soon more fighting games became popular like marvel vs capcom 3, mortal kombat 2011, Tekken tag 2 and Tekken 6. This made people get more involved and their was more decent players as well as player base around as well for each game.

Testing games from arcades was good back in the day but now we are in a better spot since were more involved with the game evolving and development. Developers themselves do alphas/betas were people get a taste of the game before its out and to test out the system so the developers can get their feedback from the players and develop these changes to what the players want. Also quick balance changes can be done during their lifespans where they can just do a quick update and fix bugs which could break the game or make a charcter umbalanced.
street fighter is the exception because they introduce more then just balance changes such as new game mechanics and new characters. New characters are also key because its make the game more interesting and make people want to play it more as well as evolving the game itself
(look at Mortal Kombat X and Killer Instinct as prime examples).

But hey, im sure you can disagree with some/all of my responses or agree with some/all of my responses but this just my opinion on what you were saying. Fighting games are not dead, Their growing at a fast rate behind the MOBA genre.
I like all replies that are respectful and have manners, regardless if you agree with me or not. Sadly there isn't enough of that on the internet these days and it's refreshing to see a thoughtful, sober response instead of just angry trolling or e-bullying. Everyone these days really gets their panties in a wad because "OMG SOMEBODY DISAGREED WITH ME ON THE INTERNET".

Keep it up. We need more people like you in the world.

To address your point, arcade balance testing had a much longer time before the console version was releases. This meant more testing before a balance patch, as opposed to SCV which released unnecessary balance changes too early and basically turned viola from a VIABLE middle tier to an almost broken infinite combo or ridiculous tekken-like juggles.

Back