Hori Announces Soulcalibur 5 Arcade Sticks!

• Admin
It looks like in addition to the official MadCatz Soulcalibur V FightSticks, Hori has been licensed to create their own SC5 sticks as well! While the quality of the Soulcalibur IV arcade sticks from Hori were a bit questionable, it looks like Hori is trying to fix it this time around with a brand new model.

Unlike the SC4 stick, which was based on the Hori FS3 model (probably the worst stick Hori has ever made), this new model seems more similar to the Hori RAP3, although slightly altered. It appears to have a cut out bottom, a myriad of control buttons and switches, as well as ports for microphones and keyboards (PS3). I must admit, I like the design much better than MadCatz's offer, but at the same time, I still can't stand that awful NOIR button layout.

316874_274303905946282_157579717618702_793330_1906079702_n.jpg
385087_274303972612942_157579717618702_793331_658011240_n.jpg

Jason Axelrod

Jason Axelrod

Owner and Operator of 8WAYRUN
I'd like to point out that unlike the MCZ sticks, the button layout on this isn't specific to Soul Calibur V.

.... i just don't really see the need for a arcade stick for a four button fighting game.

I TOTALLY understand for 6 button fighting games though, it's nearly impossible to play those *effectively* with a controller...

If i had to get one though, I'd get the MadCatz stick. It looks better in my opinion o.o

.... i just don't really see the need for a arcade stick for a four button fighting game.
Because sticks offer a bit more accuracy then pad (off course if you want something even more accurate, get a SLAC like a HitBox).

Because sticks offer a bit more accuracy then pad (off course if you want something even more accurate, get a SLAC like a HitBox).

So the advantage of a stick is not to the same degree of advantage as say, a mouse's infinite max move speed and high degree of precession?

I've been wondering what the exact advantages of a stick were.

So the advantage of a stick is not to the same degree of advantage as say, a mouse's infinite max move speed and high degree of precession?

I've been wondering what the exact advantages of a stick were.
There's really not advantage playing on stick; the stick needs training to get used to and get the moves correctly; now the question is about ergonomic advantage...

I wasn't very accurate doing some moves in pad cause it fells uncomfortable for various reasons, than I remembered when used to play in Arcade and I buy a HRAP3 to try out; total success!! my hands are always relaxed (cause I don't have to keep the pad firmly in my hands I can lay down the stick in near surfaces or my lap); my stick also is very strict with the commands so I can't try to mash up the moves... I have to learn to be exact.

For me my HRAP3 give me the chance to play without felling arm/shoulders/hands stress, and also remember the GOOD TIMES playing on arcades.

I have received confirmation from Namco that the "square" on the top right of the joystick is in fact in the START button. The button is concealed underneath a flip up plate so that it can't be pushed by accident.

There's really not advantage playing on stick; the stick needs training to get used to and get the moves correctly; now the question is about ergonomic advantage...

I wasn't very accurate doing some moves in pad cause it fells uncomfortable for various reasons, than I remembered when used to play in Arcade and I buy a HRAP3 to try out; total success!! my hands are always relaxed (cause I don't have to keep the pad firmly in my hands I can lay down the stick in near surfaces or my lap); my stick also is very strict with the commands so I can't try to mash up the moves... I have to learn to be exact.

For me my HRAP3 give me the chance to play without felling arm/shoulders/hands stress, and also remember the GOOD TIMES playing on arcades.

Thank you for an answer that actually goes into detail :3

I have to question you though, is it safe to say that it's dependent on the player to determine whether the pads or sticks are better for them ??

I have to question you though, is it safe to say that it's dependent on the player to determine whether the pads or sticks are better for them ??

For the most part, yeah, either YOU'RE good with pad, or YOU'RE good with stick - no one can really decide what you're better at for you. Especially with a game like Soulcalibur, where there aren't any really difficult inputs, the difference between pad and stick is pretty much all about preference.

Even with the advent of the Hitbox, which has started to almost clearly be a "better" choice for 2D fighter just because of how easy it makes some inputs, there's no real need to have one for Soulcalibur just because of how our combos and just frames are done. Even with stuff like 6:6B (Amy, Voldo), a:G:A (Siegfried, Nightmare), or iGDR, having a Hitbox doesn't make those inputs incredibly easy to do - they MIGHT make them easier if you find the Hitbox to be to your liking.

So yeah, that was a long winded way of saying "Yeah, it's mostly preference."

Madcatz did a better job appearance wise. It just seems Hori took an all black stick and just threw a Soul Calibur V sticker on it and whoop-de-doo lmao no effort in my opinon

Live streams

1 Viewers
petreySOAD420
petreySOAD420
$Toned Wolfgang is Drumming<sOul oF DiAmond>.
1 Viewers
Tomahawk_182
Tomahawk_182
Soulcalibur VI: Ranked matches

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philmckrackon
Back