How Can Soul Calibur Ensure Longevity?

I'll say it again.

NAMCO needs to continue supporting the game like how Capcom does for SFV.
Fighting games' hype usually decline after a year or so and people get bored- especially the casual crowd.

We, as players, will continue supporting if we can see that the game is continuously growing.
All this is, of course, easier said than done considering external factors which are not in our control.

Well I think its simple based on what the strengths are of the older games regarding what people request most for this game. Problem with SC is that (with the exception of this needed reboot) its almost like they just make every game like a stand alone iteration, where they give us things then dump them by the next sequel instead of keeping what people like and risking the bad reception of gimmicks. The only things I'm glad they dropped from the last recent games were such bad things, like the elemental nonsense Lost Swords added (i really do not want that). What they should do is just consider the best aspects of the first 5 games and then build off of feedback from them.

I know that SC2 was praised for its gameplay, SC3 for its game modes, and SC5 for its music and better balancing, online. So a reboot of the series should use that as its foundation. Supporting what people liked the most will keep the game going. PS lost their way with the disconnect of doing the exact opposite and offering us DLC of crap people never asked for, like Bunny suits and Superhero costumes. I know that might be popular in Japan, but if SoulCalibur is bigger in the west, then the western standards should influence it first.

Last edited:
By building a community that attracts new players, and having charismatic players making youtube vids or streaming. If the game can be enjoyed by spectators, a following will definitely grow, considering this is the only 3D weapon based fighter with such a strong legacy.

I'll say it again.

NAMCO needs to continue supporting the game like how Capcom does for SFV.
Fighting games' hype usually decline after a year or so and people get bored- especially the casual crowd.

We, as players, will continue supporting if we can see that the game is continuously growing.
All this is, of course, easier said than done considering external factors which are not in our control.

Yeah both SC4 and SC5 suffered heavily from this. Basically no balance patches with SC4 and one IMHO poorly thought out balance patch for SC5.

You just need something every month or so that makes people come back to try it out.

Releasing frequent "balance" patches stops the game from stagnating, players will come back to try out the changes, they're also very cheap, and you've already got stats to base changes on coming directly from the game itself. If a character becomes under or overpowered, at least it won't matter for very long because another patch will come and fix it (unlike SCV).
New characters are a given, but they're expensive to produce, requiring artists, animators, etc.

There's always something to talk about in the Overwatch community because there's always a patch around the corner. That's all.
Speaking of which, seasonal ranking could also help.

You just need something every month or so that makes people come back to try it out.

Releasing frequent "balance" patches stops the game from stagnating, players will come back to try out the changes, they're also very cheap, and you've already got stats to base changes on coming directly from the game itself. If a character becomes under or overpowered, at least it won't matter for very long because another patch will come and fix it (unlike SCV).
New characters are a given, but they're expensive to produce, requiring artists, animators, etc.

There's always something to talk about in the Overwatch community because there's always a patch around the corner. That's all.
Speaking of which, seasonal ranking could also help.
Seasonal rankings would be brilliant, but I can't see that working for a fighter. Patches are what we need as they don't need a character through the ground. *Cough*ZWEI*cough*

If we get a new character or style like overwatch, every like three or four months the game will live longer.

Having a large online community/component would keep the game alive for quite a while, especially if there was cross platform support with cross platform matches on Guest characters.

Splitting player populations early on usually prematurely kills the game, since the games initial population is split, and when it reaches a certain low population, it collapses.

Whatever Project Soul does, they have to support the whole game. The last two games only got lasting support in the form of customization DLC. That feeds the people who are just in it for the creative suite, but has hardly any effect on the competitive side. Characters, stages, balance updates, multiplayer modes, that's the stuff that keeps the competitive side alive.

If they really want to relive the glory days of SC2, then they need to understand that support is why SC2 was so popular. Even if they think the balance is perfect, they need to release balance changes. Even if they don't think they need more characters, they need to add more characters. Even if they think everyone is satisfied with the multiplayer features, they need to add more multiplayer features. That is the anatomy of a fighter that people will continue to play.

*cough*modsupport*cough*
Realistically speaking though? New characters/movesets for CAS/weapons.
Refresh them oldies, add in characters that didn't fit in with the story as BALANCED dlcs.
Keep online going with events of some kind.

I hate to sound pessimistic, but I don't think Namco has any plans to support this game in the long term. History indicates that they think of Tekken as their serious fighting game and SoulCalibur as their casual fighting game.

This probably won't be a very popular opinion, but the only way this is going to change is if fans take the game seriously. Until Namco is convinced that a competitive scene for the game exists, I don't think they'll do very much to support it.

(Of course, this is all assuming that SoulCalibur VI is decently balanced and not a broken mess.)

I hate to sound pessimistic, but I don't think Namco has any plans to support this game in the long term. History indicates that they think of Tekken as their serious fighting game and SoulCalibur as their casual fighting game.

This probably won't be a very popular opinion, but the only way this is going to change is if fans take the game seriously. Until Namco is convinced that a competitive scene for the game exists, I don't think they'll do very much to support it.

(Of course, this is all assuming that SoulCalibur VI is decently balanced and not a broken mess.)
Tthe game tournament support so people see it for its merit as a fighting game, rather than that came with Link and Character Creation. Dragonball Fighterz was able to be the first DBZ fighting game people actually took seriously under that title because of the competitive scene getting the push. How to get Namco to change their view of it though is what I don't know.

Last edited:
How to get Namco to change their view of it though is what I don't know.
That is absolutely the biggest challenge.

Since Namco is a Japanese company, they're more attuned to the Japanese market. And SoulCalibur just isn't very popular in Japan. I don't think they're really going to take notice of the competitive scene unless we make it too big to ignore.

Recently a certain card game, Hex: Shards of Fate released a Siege mode. I know I'm talking about a card game but HEAR ME OUT ON THIS!
What was siege mode? People could create 3 decks and let the AI control them, then other people could raid their "castle" with their own 1 deck. You could also add lines of text to imitate some story/dialogue. People could create their own mini-campaigns. Soul Calibur as a series has CAS allready, so why not let people create their own campaigns, modofy the AI a bit to make certain characters prioritize certain moves?

Who's with me on this?

So this dude on Reddit posted a reply in a thread about how poor the Tekken 7 post release support is and it gave me a little bit of hope that SCVI’s lifecycle might be pretty good.

Applay

“We kinda get fucked by the arcade only release. Back then, they were adding new characters periodically and all of that, but now the game is pretty much settled and they have worked on Tekken 7 for years, so the console release gets this slow ass updates.”

Tekken 7 in the arcades is enjoying a long life of characters and costumes and customization items and it ended up at what, 38 fighters? (at the time of this post)

I think we’ll be A-OK for quite a while after they let us all transcend history, and the world, and take part in a tale of souls and swords, eternally retold.

The big thing is gonna be as a community

1. People need to realize the game is not gonna be perfect & deal with that & not sabotage the scene bitching every which way
2. Be inviting & show people why we love this game
3. Stay organized on a stream level, we need to keep interest in those early months to get people to wanna stick around
4. Develop & keep offline meets healthy

Realistically the only people that tend to stick around is anyone who wants to remain competitive. Unfortunately i don't think game updates and mechanics can really change that as its up to the players own mindset whether they want to face the grind to become better. This plagues all fighting games though.

Back