How did you hear/find out about the Soul Calibur Series?

What was your first Soul game?

• Soul Edge

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • Soul Calibur

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • Soul Calibur 2

Votes: 34 47.9%
  • Soul Calibur 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Soul Calibur 4

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Soul Calibur 5

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters

Pyrrus

[14] Master
Just like the title says~
Before I had started playing SC I had never heard about it..( wow that's pretty sad.)
Anyways,my brother and I were browsing through the games in GameStop and we were checking the cheap PS2 section of the store ( because my brother and I LOVE old ps2 games) and my Mom happened to be there with us and we couldn't find anything that looked interesting then my mom pulled out this game called Soul Calibur 2. At first I was pretty sure it was gunna suck but then something told me it might be worth my time~Anyways we bought it, took it home, and played it.
I loved it. My brother thought it was boring, I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT! The graphics, the game-play, the music, the ART! Gah it over-whelmed me~<3 Eventually my brother warmed up to it~. His main was Kilik and Necrid~Mine was Ivy and Cassandra. And that's the reason SC2 is my fav because it was my first SC love <3

Note: If this thread has already been posted or any similar post, mods please close to avoid any cloned threads Thanks~

Another thread of these eh? No matter. Soul Edge/Soul Blade was where it all started for me. Just looked about my cousin's huge library of PSone games and found it. Intrigued since it looked like Tekken except with swords, I popped it in and came to enjoy it as a 8 year old and grew up with this series alongside Tekken and Street Fighter.

i had a gamecube, and i asked the guy at gamestop if any legend of zelda games with link were coming out. he showed me SCII. I spammed so much with Talim. ONLY TALIM! I had absolutly no idea what was going on while I played all i knew was that I needed to get the next one.
Note- I was around 5 or 7

Walked into my old local arcade for the first time with my dad when I was four or five years old seen Soul Edge. Learned that you fought with weapons. Went every Saturday, till I got a ps1 with Soul Blade in 1998 for Christmas. Still play it till this day.

I'm surprised to see I'm one of the few that found out about this series the way fighting games are meant to be discovered -or used to at least: at the arcade. I remember kicking ass with Rock, it was so awesome :) Oh the memories... not long after I acquired all the games of the series, except for SCIII, because I never had a Ps2.

I thought we already had like ten threads for this. It doesn't matter though, it's always cool to go back to my childhood for a little while. I also remember playing VF4, KoF 98, Tekken Tag (and 4 later), DoA 2... Oh, those were some awesome games.

Back in 2004 or so i was gigantic tekken fanboy, but my ps1 broke so whenever i would play it it was always on my dad's ps2
Then one day my dad brought home a ps2 copy of soul calibur 2 he said he had bought it because he also played soul blade, i saw him play it and didnt get interested in it until i found out heihachi was in, i started playing heihachi alot but then i wanted to try other characters, and got hooked on playing nightmare, i then decided to do more research on the games storyline online and learned more about it, then i found out one of my friends had a sega dreamcast+soul calibur 1, we played that game for god knows how long and played siegfried/nightmare, seung mina, kilik,mitsurugi and taki. Game was a blast, he had also had gotten sc3 but honestly.... It didnt click with me as much as 1 and 2 did.
Eventually my friend got bored and got rid of his sc1. And all my dad used his ps2 for now was for a dvd player -_-. Basically i was soul caliburless until recently i got an xbox 360 with soul calibur 5 and Soul calibur 4 and welp, here i am.
So out of all the soul caliburs, my favorite is a hard pick i enjoyed all of them except for 3 and i never played soul blade.

When I first bought the Nintendo Gamecube and I saw commercials hyping up Soul Calibur II, especially the one where they mentioned Link being in the game. That was one of my many Gamecube games that I have played nonstop until I eventually beat Arcade mode and Weapon Master mode. I recently popped in the CD and was taken aback by all the great memories that were flooding back, it was like playing for the first time in a long time.

It was back in the day in college in one arcade or another at the time. I'm sure some of you were just kids or werent even born yet (has it been that long?). It was Soul Edge. All of my friends were already veteran Street Fighter players or messing around with Mortal Kombat. Those games were too hard for me and always crowded. Virtual Fighter was okay but I didnt care for it much plus that was also hard for me (at the time). Soul Edge was different. It had 4 buttons that was intuitive, really cool characters, weapons, and I didnt have to wait much to play it as it wasnt overly crowded so I could learn at my own pace without a sense of urgency or embaressment. I loved how it had 3D mechanic to it. My main was Seong Mina (spelled in English as Seung Mina at the time).

A few years later, I spent my savings from a summer job to buy a Sega Dreamcast shortly after its release. Then Soul Calibur came out. It was rated as one of the best games (and still is). I was amazed at the graphics, the new roster of characters, all the unlockable features and the core gameplay. (Remember how great it looked using VGA adapter and hooking it up to a fat CRT computer monitor. That level with the rain! Trivial by today's standard but back then....) It was the perfect package and I spent a good deal of time with it for recreation in between studies while I was finishing up school. Ivy was my main character. I loved her complex fighting style with sword whip. She was this sexy domniatrix. (However, I still recall thinking to myself at the time how disappointing it was because her breasts were a bit ... Small? My, my... How that has changed over years. Thank the Namco gods. Lol)

I kept playing the sequels, not so much with SC2, as I was too busy enjoying my life with my real first job. Once I got to settle down, sparingly played SCIII. Then SCIV came along. The graphics were taken to a whole new level. (and yes, I have to admit those first sneak peak shots of Ivy flaunted around E3 got my attention). To top it off, they decided to include Darth Vader and Yoda (a big WTF moment at announcement) appeasing my Star Wars fanboy tendancies. In the course of playing the game, I somehow came across making videos, then editing these videos making machinima using the replay function. This feature was available back since the first SC but never or seldom used this way. From there on, went back to all previous SC games, explored them deeper investing in the back story and everything related to the series. A Soul Calibur fanboy for life now....

I remember that day..............I was in that store with Miss Millie! lol

I discovered this series while reading one of my favorite magazines at the time: Tip & Tricks. I remember seeing one person in particular that stood out to me: a girl with a robotic mask, which I originally thought was a part of her face. Mind you all, I was pretty young at the time. 7 or 8. I even saw it in Arcade, but was too busy also admiring one of my favorite Arcade games at the time: FIGHTING BUJUTSU!!!

I don't know how I got Soul Blade-probably a Christmas gift-but I remember looking at the character selection screen, and there she was. Her name was Taki, and I played her constantly, and sometimes Seong Mina, because of that attack yell she used to make when she did the jumping attack. I played Soul Blade for years and years, adoring EVERYTHING about it.

However, I was also afraid of this game for many reasons: Mitsurugi on the Intro, when Cervantes transforms into Soul Edge, Hwang's bad ending, Siegfried's bad ending, and that Grunt in Voldo's Super Khan Session theme. I always muted the game when I played against him.

I was still stuck on Soul Blade when Soul Calibur 1 was released, because I didn't have a Dreamcast. I got back to the series after playing constant demos of SCII on the Gamecube, buying it on Playstation 2, and I've been a fan of this series ever since.

I don't remember when, but when I first got my ps2, the guy that sold it to us had the game and it was all I had to play until I got Jak and Daxter.

Two of my favorite games ever.

I bought SC2 for Gamecube. Picked it up at a pawn shop because I wanted to try something different after getting bored with Tekken. Took it home, fell in love and never touched Tekken again.

I officially knew about the Soul Calibur series when I read about Soul Calibur II on the GameCube, but I wasn't able to get one. Fast forward to 2008, and I saw SoulCalibur IV on the shelves, and the rest was history.

I went to an arcade called space invaders where I used to play Mortal Kombat 3 with friends. When Mortal Kombat 4 came out and it was absolute hideous trash, I was walking around and saw soul edge and thought Li Long was the most awesome video game character ever. Also Mitsurugi cutting down those guys in the intro. I've been a fan ever since.

My first experience was with Soul Calibur. I've never, ever, had very much money in my life. When the rest of the neighborhood had gotten Playstation 2s when they first came out, I still had nothing but a Super Nintendo. To hopefully look like I was catching up with the times, I had gone and talked with a co-worker of the man my mom was dating at the time, and for sixty buck, I bought his Dreamcast, and along with it came Resident Evil- Code: Veronica, Soul Reaver (God I love that series, but that's another story altogether), Shenmue, and, of course, Soul Calibur. I'd absolutely fallen in love with the game, and when I figured out the history of it, the first thing I did was find an arcade that had Soul Blade. I must admit, I'm not as big a fan of Soul Blade as I was, and still am, of Soul Calibur. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it though, and I'd liked it so much, I'd already written fan mail to Namco to ask them for Soul Calibur II, back in '01. I'm not aware if they had already developed plans for it by then, however, as I didn't have any access to things like a gaming magazine.

Either way, when I found out that they were making Soul Calibur II, I went batshit, and ended up getting the Playstation 2, along with Soul Calibur II and a few other games. Never turned from the series since.

All the stories you all post make me feel more nostalgic about my early SC days <3 I love reading you peoples stories haha~ Soul Reaver is awesome >8D

My cousin got SC II for the first Xbox and he was playing with spawn and I had no idea what I was doing or what character I was using
Jump to 09 to SC4 at my friends house and bing bop boom there we go

Back