I EVER can't win; is it me or the connection?

Cal Sharp

[08] Mercenary
I'm kind of new to SCV but have been playing the series for quite a while now. I really, really love everything Soul Calibur V has to offer (namely the creation, having recreated a bunch of old characters Namco removed). But in Xbox LIVE matches, I can never seem to win anything. The only lobby I've been playing in is Beginner, and my win/loss ratio is still disgusting.

Since I don't have enough patience for Training mode (I do use it to perform certain things I'm curious about, just not for extended periods of time), I figured the best way to get better is to play one character at a time repeatedly until I feel I'm decent with that character. Well, with each game I inevitably lose, I only feel frustration; like I'm not learning a single thing.

I've been feeling I'm at a blatantly inherent disadvantage to everybody. As if any practice or more skill I gain is useless. I'm serious, I really feel it shouldn't be this impossibly difficult to just not suck IN THE BEGINNER'S LOBBY.

Most games I play don't have a noticeable amount of input lag or don't have a lot of stuttering. Yet my internet really isn't the best. Cox "high-speed" to be precise, with an old modem. I've become suspicious that what I'm seeing in the game is lagging behind what everybody else is seeing; a problem I was suspicious of on Halo 4, or Left 4 Dead.

My point is, I feel like no matter how much effort I put in, or concentration, watching for the optimal moment to seize the opponent, I'm always going to lose no matter what. Nothing I try matters. Any solutions, or at least anybody who knows this feeling? Like I said, I love everything SCV is offering me, so it saddens me that I can't be successful at all.

PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE

Having a player teach you is the best way to learn outside of experience. It is most likely not the internet, but if you feel like it is the problem then you can show up offline to tournaments. Welcome to the website!

PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE PLAY OFFLINE

Thanks, that was sure some valuable information you shared with me.

I am saddened that we are in an age of gaming where taking your game to a buddies house to throw down happens so infrequently that the vernacular alone confuses people

The mind is half the fight. With that mindset of "oh i'm gonna lose the next game but ill do my bestest," your not gonna get anywhere. You've already lost the fight!

On a more positive note, try to see what your doing wrong and look at it positively. Sure, getting your ass kicked by grab spamming, 4B'ing, 3B'ing noobs sucks, but look at it on the brightside- at least your learning something!

In the end, all I can say is look towards every fight like your gonna win- like your gonna tear that random Pyrrha ass up! ... I mean random Pyrrha PLAYER's ass up- oh you get the meaning.

...And hit dat training mode/cpu fights set to Hard mode.

big ol' snip

to be honest, i'm not entirely sure what your problem is. it seems like you're just trying to get used to the new system i think. anywho,if you want we could get some games in (<---GT over there). while i'm far from the best i'd like to think i can hold my own and can probably help ya with a thing or two.

First, I'll say what I say to everyone with these issues... try and post some footage. Others will likely see problems that you don't yet know actually are problems.

Since I don't have enough patience for Training mode (I do use it to perform certain things I'm curious about, just not for extended periods of time), I figured the best way to get better is to play one character at a time repeatedly until I feel I'm decent with that character.

I don't think this is a bad mentality at all. If that's what feels right, then that's what you should do.
I would say that training mode is almost useless unless you know what to actually practice, and that knowledge is gained from fighting others.

I was already fairly experienced with Soulcalibur when SCV came out, but even so at that point I simply skimmed over the command lists so I knew a little about what the characters could do. It's through fighting others that I learned that --let's say-- blocking a full charged Bull Rush from Astaroth and trying to attack afterwards is getting me damaged.
So by using it myself, again, fighting others... I learnt that it's a great move that puts a lot of pressure on opponents however, it's easy stepped and most followups can be interrupted with certain quick attacks.
And it's only then that you can go into training mode, asking yourself: "What attacks can X-character do against Bull Rush?", "How can I stop them from doing that?", "How can prevent them from stepping?", etc.... and through that you also learn what attacks you can do against Bull Rush, what to look out for when doing them, and when you can and can't step it yourself.

That's just a simple example, but that's what I went through initially... perhaps that will help you to learn how to learn... ^^
...you know... This is causing me a problem, let's see how everyone else handles it... now I've learnt how to cause others that problem and how to get around it myself...

It can't be the connection's fault. With how the netcode works, any lag you experience will be experienced by your opponent too.

I think having friends who are really into the game is the best way to practice and learn the game. Playing against strangers when you don't know all the basics can be frustrating as you'll keep encountering new stuff without knowing how to adapt.

I'm kind of new to SCV but have been playing the series for quite a while now. I really, really love everything Soul Calibur V has to offer (namely the creation, having recreated a bunch of old characters Namco removed). But in Xbox LIVE matches, I can never seem to win anything. The only lobby I've been playing in is Beginner, and my win/loss ratio is still disgusting.

Since I don't have enough patience for Training mode (I do use it to perform certain things I'm curious about, just not for extended periods of time), I figured the best way to get better is to play one character at a time repeatedly until I feel I'm decent with that character. Well, with each game I inevitably lose, I only feel frustration; like I'm not learning a single thing.

I've been feeling I'm at a blatantly inherent disadvantage to everybody. As if any practice or more skill I gain is useless. I'm serious, I really feel it shouldn't be this impossibly difficult to just not suck IN THE BEGINNER'S LOBBY.

Most games I play don't have a noticeable amount of input lag or don't have a lot of stuttering. Yet my internet really isn't the best. Cox "high-speed" to be precise, with an old modem. I've become suspicious that what I'm seeing in the game is lagging behind what everybody else is seeing; a problem I was suspicious of on Halo 4, or Left 4 Dead.

My point is, I feel like no matter how much effort I put in, or concentration, watching for the optimal moment to seize the opponent, I'm always going to lose no matter what. Nothing I try matters. Any solutions, or at least anybody who knows this feeling? Like I said, I love everything SCV is offering me, so it saddens me that I can't be successful at all.

If you are a beginner, I would say that frame data isn't very useful.

I don't think it's possible that what you are seeing is lagging behind what everyone else is seeing. The game must be synchronized for everybody, otherwise it would be impossible to have the same game playing on both ends.

First step would be to recognize most moves every character uses. Only once you do that can you begin to analyze what you did wrong and how to counter certain troublesome moves. You can then even try to emulate what you see other people doing, and when you yourself gets countered, you will know how to counter some moves you might think are abusable.

However, if you've played a while against the AI, don't try to emulate what it does. It's not realistic to expect a human to crouch block so efficiently (against 2Ks for example), have 100% success rate on difficult attacks and yet pretty much never punish anything.

Yes, ideally you should play as one character at the beginning. This is so that you can associate some moves with muscle memory and stop always trying to think about your next moves.

Back