Idea for a future major: 2v2. Thoughts?

BatousaiNori

[10] Knight
So while I'm unemployed, I obviously have more free time that I'd like. I'm either doing this everyday:

1) Studying for my insurance exam (need 1 more license to work for Farmers)
2) Spending time w/wife/friends/family
3) Thinking about how to grow the SC community (Aren't I sad?)

I came up with (I think) a great idea. SBO does this, Street Fighter majors do this, etc:

What about having a major JUST dedicated to a team tourney, 2v2 or 3v3?

-You pretty much guarantee people coming because you don't want to be THAT guy on a team and not go, letting down your teammates.

-The numbers would be huge

-Most top players, if not all, are proud to represent their region

-You could also team up w/somebody who happens to be a good friend/a player you know from whereever

This encourages obviously people to

A) Learn the matchups in and out. It's not just your ass on the line, you have to carry somebody else
B) People will continue to practice and not just by themselves, which is boring as shit as we all know
C) I'm sorry, but this game NEEDS rivalries (regions). I don't know about you all, but I'm enjoying every minute of SU vs KDZ. 2 top players who did very well at majors and STILL have fire in them. We need to help keep that burning IMO
D) And my personal favorite, which guarantees to keep the game alive: Travel for tourneys

Instead of the "who's dick is longer" contest to run the next nats, how about focusing on what we can do as a major next? Me personally, I'm down for 3v3.

And of course, we can do the team tourney on a sat and a singles on a sunday. Thoughts?

3v3 would be pushing it, as we're a very small community now and we need to pull in as many people as possible, so 2v2 would be a much more logical choice.

Like I said on chat, I think you got a good idea for this, but it needs some shaping up a little. Being SOLELY dedicated to teams would kill you, but having a DAY in say, a 2 days tournament dedicated to teams would be a very good idea, especially for something like the next Nationals Circuit.

I'm also a big proponent of SBO rules for this kind of stuff, including single elimination and all, it makes the entire thing a lot more hype and small mistakes cost a LOT and the flashy stuff gets people REALLY hyped. Instead of the boo-ing for the Doom Combo during evo, we'd get people cheering for those who do land it, especially in clutch moments. But that's just me.

I'm all for 2v2 teams! Midwest would have two or more beastly teams. JimmyPikachu/MysticBill, Thugish/Typhoon, or maybe Thugish/me :)

I'm down. Assuming the stars are somehow aligned and Krayzie and Alex can get out, NorCal could easily rep. at LEAST 3 teams. Me, Cedric, Hates, Manta, KrayzieCD, Alex, etc...

Single elimination for 2v2 teams wouldn't be too bad. Single elimination for a singles tourney, ehhh. Yea it encourages to be on top of your game but having two single elim seems a bit rough. If the community was large enough, it'd almost be fun to do a team tourney based on regions (5v5 like how they did with SF4 at Evo) but don't think we have the community size for that.

Where would be a good location for this, if need be? Be nice to run in like an arcade kind of enviroment for that old school appeal but that's beside the point...

I don't really like the idea of single elim. Granted single elim tourneys are much faster, but teams are always hype anyway. No need to take out the comeback factor. I like seeing someone come from loser's bracket to grand finals and try to take the set from the person in winners. That's what made SF4 grand finals so intense (aside from the fact that is was Jwong vs. Daigo).

2v2 teams would be a great idea and I'd go to any tournament like that as long as I'm able to make it (the army sucks for taking time off). I can only imagine how hype it would be with people repping their region and their characters. If this were to happen I would like to see SBO ruleset in place for the teams, meaning one of said character per team. So there couldn't be a team with 2 hilde or 2 rock lol. It's more interesting that way. Team chemistry and matchups would be key.

Somebody really needs to make this happen.

3v3 would require a larger community that travels which at this point we don't have. 2v2 is better for now, but I do agree that 3v3 would be better at some point in the future.

I really like where this thread is going. So let's take this a step further and try to stick to this one issue for now: SBO rules for 2v2.

I personally agree w/SBO rules for the 2v2 tourney (not the 1v1) and here's why: It's going to take FOREVER to run if it's double elimination. Imagine 60 people showing up and if you start at 12, you won't be done until at least 8pm. Now throw in double elimination, it will take longer. Plus, there would be a singles tourney the next day w/double elimination.

I disagree because in all honesty tournaments end up taking a long time because of how the TO runs their tourneys. Usually people will be scattered about not playing their matches when they're called or there are people running around playing casuals on a TV when it should have a tournament match on it.

I would rather it be double elim unless it was 3v3. How about you do a side team tournament at Mashfest just to see how it works out?

I disagree because in all honesty tournaments end up taking a long time because of how the TO runs their tourneys. Usually people will be scattered about not playing their matches when they're called or there are people running around playing casuals on a TV when it should have a tournament match on it.

I would rather it be double elim unless it was 3v3. How about you do a side team tournament at Mashfest just to see how it works out?
When I'm saying the tourney runs fast, I'm assuming the TO doesn't ask people to play their matches, they tell them. When I run tourneys, If I have no other matches to run, there is no choice about it. Tourney has to run smoothly, period. And yes, we can do that at Mashfest I see no problem w/that

Depends also on how many side games we have (SF4, BB, HDR, BR etc). The more you have, the potential for tourney drag (Aka waiting for others to finish their matches so they can play SC). Perhaps make it so you don't have too many games running on one day. (Shoot throw an old school SC tourney for fun) However since the focus should be on SC4, we shouldn't have to worry about that.

So if you did 2v2 would it be 2/3 or 3/5? At least for the regular matches until you get to the finals. People also have to stick with the same character throughout the tourney.

I would say because it's teams it would just be one match. No 2/3 or anything like that. Tournament runs more smooth that way.

When I'm saying the tourney runs fast, I'm assuming the TO doesn't ask people to play their matches, they tell them. When I run tourneys, If I have no other matches to run, there is no choice about it. Tourney has to run smoothly, period. And yes, we can do that at Mashfest I see no problem w/that

We should do that AND have a POKER tournament afterwards! TEXAS HOLD EM BABY!!!

I would say because it's teams it would just be one match. No 2/3 or anything like that. Tournament runs more smooth that way.
Right, but 1 match to what? First team to score 3 wins? or 4? It has to be at least 2 matches so each member can play

One match? Hahaha, that is pretty tough but it does sound interesting. Does every member in the team have to play? No potential for OCV then? So basically it could be first team to score 2 wins. You are allowed to switch the order if one guy is on an OCV streak and the other guy wants to play.

Back