Idea: Sc4 Character Analysis

Senzait

Steamed Buns!!
I think it would be a good idea to make a character analysis thread (and maybe sticky it) that would go through every character in the cast and rank different attributes (average damage, pressure, mix-up, max damage, grab damage, Back RO potential, Forward RO potential, overall, good match ups and bad match ups, etc...). We could rank it from E to S (bad to very good).

I think this would help newcomers chose their mains or try out other character which reflect their play style well (without looking at tier lists and such), and it would help out already casual players get a more advanced understanding of the characters they don't play with. I have looked and I didn't find a thread like this but if there is one sorry for not looking hard enough :).

Anyway I am willing to put some time into this and I dont mind in the least getting corrected for any incorrect data I put. I do not though know all the characters so Is anyone willing to help?

Also I think sum1 else posted something like that. Well I'm not gonna bother searching but I'm pretty sure it's lingering here somewhere.

I'd suggest rating these parameters for each character, to keep overlap to a minimum:

Basic Tools:
Interrupt Speed/Range
Mids Damage/Range/Frames
Lows/Throws Damage/Range/Frames
Step Catching Range
Ranged Attack Utility, Damage, Frames
Soul Gauge Pressure Rating
Unblockable Utility

Extra Damage:
Block Punishment Damage/Range
Whiff Punishment Damage/Range
Okizeme Mixups Damage/Frames
Fast Counterhit Damage
Wall Damage
GI Damage (normal hit damage of i17-i20 moves)
GI Damage (normal hit damage of <i20 moves)
GI Damage (normal hit damage of >i16 moves) note: they must guess which of these you will do, unless you parry, which covers a greater range of attack speeds, but parry sucks.
JI Damage (counterhit >i31 moves)

Tech Evades Utility, Damage, and Frames:
Tech Crouch
Tech Jump
Tech Sidestep
Tech Back Evade

Stage Control:
Pushback Length/Frames
Ringout Attacks' Frames
Forward Ringout Potential (characters like Mitsu and Setsuka who can ringout with unseeable mids/lows deserve an S rank)
Reverse Ringout Potential
Side Ringout Potential

Movement: (already rated in the sidestep tier list)
Sidestep (Hilde gets S rank)
Backstep (Algol gets S rank)
Step-in (Rock gets S rank)
8WR (Xianghua gets S rank)

Miscellaneous:
Attack Coverage, Hitbox Quality (Ability to hit characters with odd hurtboxes like crawling characters and double tech evades)
Super Tools (Utility of unique tools like healing, force throw break, double tech evades, super tech crouch, bubbles, being yoda)
Whiff Safety (Attacks with short blockstun/hitstun are usually safer on whiff)

senzait, i love the idea, but it is LOTS of work. who will do such a thing?

well if you are willing to, then use this thread for discussion and analysis and once you get this data gathered and put together we can make a stickied reference thread out of it.

god speed and good luck!

Thanks a bunch Signia for the basic framework, and thanks lobo for the incentive, I will definitely work on this during break. Ill start with the characters I use: Asta, Yoshi, Cass, Kilik, and Mitsu and then ill proceed to the other ones.

There are a couple of categories in your bluprint Signia that Im not sure how to test though. Ill post here when I have problems.

Back