If there was a Soul Calibur VI, prequel/sequel/reboot/retcon?

I mainly just find the taste in my mouth still sour having to think about them actually trying to sell out just to grab some of the SF craze and fans that don't belong to them. SC's fanbase was huge simply made up of those that grew up with it from its start plus the chunk that came it at 2. Why sell out?
are you talking about the meter system?! i don't see how that was a bad thing, it only seemed like the natural course for any fighter these days to take. i don't feel that they "sold out" to cater to 2D fans (i say 2D instead of SF since almost all 2d fighters have meters). if anything, SC2 "sold out" with 3 different well-known popular characters.

Well just a non-cannon game in general, it doesn't have to be tag based. It just needs to hold people over and we can forget about SCV since pretty much everyone and their momma will be in it, well at least that would be the plan.

SC3 bonus characters here we come!

Agreed, I want everyone to be happy because we're all victims here.

... Soul Calibur had a huge fanbase? That's news.
SC including guest characters is what gathered that "huge" SC2 fanbase in the first place. That, and making the game in all three consoles of that gen.

Nintendo especially, because whether people hate on the Nintendo consoles or not, Nintendo fans are pretty loyal to whatever game is released on there, and there are plenty of Nintendo fans, especially in Japan. Include a guest character, and you'll get bank on a game.

But that's based all on my assumption. It might not be true, but what is true is that a majority of those who LOVED SC2 more than any other game had the name "Link" in that same paragraph.

SC including guest characters is what gathered that "huge" SC2 fanbase in the first place. That, and making the game in all three consoles of that gen.

Nintendo especially, because whether people hate on the Nintendo consoles or not, Nintendo fans are pretty loyal to whatever game is released on there, and there are plenty of Nintendo fans, especially in Japan. Include a guest character, and you'll get bank on a game.

But that's based all on my assumption. It might not be true, but what is true is that a majority of those who LOVED SC2 more than any other game had the name "Link" in that same paragraph.

Yeah, but most of that fanbase hasn't remained with the franchise, seeing as many of them just showed up for Link. Then again, SC hasn't hit all the consoles since 2.

Everybody sing the Yun Seong Song! But seriously, I think the last suggestion I made would do a great help. Plus, it gives PS time to think about what they should do next for the series.

Says who?
I want some receipts.
Says most of the majority that disliked Patroklos and the new characters? Willingness to play as them and liking them aren't specifically tied as one or the other. Though the time skip was just used to get rid of the old cast purely and if thats what people hate then they hate the time skip being the cause.
... Soul Calibur had a huge fanbase? That's news.
Enough to petition for a 5th installment/enough to mark 200k likes on FB. Seems big to me.
SC including guest characters is what gathered that "huge" SC2 fanbase in the first place. That, and making the game in all three consoles of that gen..
I think the hype came from the guest characters but from what I know of SC2 was a lot of people's starting game into the franchise. It got them in but it isnt what kept them, not many people liked the starwars inclusion seeing is clashed. I'd give you references but its all from gathered comments on various review sites and people I've spoken to.

I think the hype came from the guest characters but from what I know of SC2 was a lot of people's starting game into the franchise. It got them in but it isnt what kept them, not many people liked the starwars inclusion seeing is clashed. I'd give you references but its all from gathered comments on various review sites and people I've spoken to.
i was a child at the time of SC2's release, so the guest characters pretty much made me bug my parents to get it for me. it was also my 1st real fighting game. though i never had an official community back then, i did play it with friends a ton.

*edit: after reading this, i have no idea what the point of this reply is lol*

are you talking about the meter system?! i don't see how that was a bad thing, it only seemed like the natural course for any fighter these days to take. i don't feel that they "sold out" to cater to 2D fans (i say 2D instead of SF since almost all 2d fighters have meters). if anything, SC2 "sold out" with 3 different well-known popular characters.
No. The guest characters were just to get people's attention but weren't part of the game itself. The meter thing was added in specifically to make the game more like SF and now intergrated into the engine despite it never needing it. With all the options in mobility in a 3D field and a ring out rule there was no reason to add a "comeback" feature. Skilled players usually made their own comebacks. Selling out as in making their game play like the leading one while having no similarty to itself at all or building off a feature they already had is where I see it as "selling out". The whole just gaurd thing was copied from SF Ex.
Imagine if Tekken had a Super meter. People would flip out tenfold. To me theres just something about meters that should just stay in 2D games... I mean 2D games are usually already very cartoony and the ultimate moves just highten it. SC being more realistic looking game in comparision just makes it look goofy and awkward.

why wouldn't SC use things that have been successful in other games? it's not like they're making the game bad by simply adding a meter.

i'm kinda nitpicking here, but SC5's JG is more like the parry in SF3. in SF3 you just tap 6 at the moment of the attack and you'll absorb it.

why wouldn't SC use things that have been successful in other games? it's not like they're making the game bad by simply adding a meter.
Whether it's bad or not is based on how you play I guess but all they really did was hop onto the popular things from other games they are nothing like. The respect SC had was that it was able to create a unique and very complex system for itself that was its own and not created from gimmicks like that. It was why I came into the series; I was tired of all the SF clones or rereleases. I also admired the closer take to realistic visuals they had over the cartoony stuff.

Whether it's bad or not is based on how you play I guess but all they really did was hop onto the popular things from other games they are nothing like. The respect SC had was that it was able to create a unique and very complex system for itself that was its own and not created from gimmicks like that. It was why I came into the series; I was tired of all the SF clones or rereleases. I also admired the closer take to realistic visuals they had over the cartoony stuff.

It still has what made it unique, and it's still very far from a SF clone. If the addition of meters makes you think of SC5 as a SF clone, you're kinda underthinking things.

MK recently got meters and has had shotoclone-esque characters since the beginning, and it's still far from a SF clone.

I like how SCV plays and imo its the best SC in terms of gameplay mechanics. I'm also welcome to change as well.

Here is my two cents.

by Project Soul making a non-canon game, we can play pretty much every characters past or present in a new game. It's pretty much what Tekken does after every 3 games and its not a bad idea since it is a new game. It brings back characters we might not ever see again and you can always stick to playing this title if you don't like whats to come.

honestly i don't see any drawbacks to making such a game but the lack of a story mode and at this point....do we really need one? you can still have arcade mode endings like Tag2 did, heck alot of those formulated plot foreshadowing, so I don't see a real issue here....but by all means point out the flaws.

I like how SCV plays and imo its the best SC in terms of gameplay mechanics. I'm also welcome to change as well.

Here is my two cents.

by Project Soul making a non-canon game, we can play pretty much every characters past or present in a new game. It's pretty much what Tekken does after every 3 games and its not a bad idea since it is a new game. It brings back characters we might not ever see again and you can always stick to playing this title if you don't like whats to come.

honestly i don't see any drawbacks to making such a game but the lack of a story mode and at this point....do we really need one? you can still have arcade mode endings like Tag2 did, heck alot of those formulated plot foreshadowing, so I don't see a real issue here....but by all means point out the flaws.

A fighting game is about the game mechanics, characters & balance. Also, I'll get PS to make Patrolkos have the worst whiffing issues and worst damage output period.

It still has what made it unique, and it's still very far from a SF clone. If the addition of meters makes you think of SC5 as a SF clone, you're kinda underthinking things.
MK recently got meters and has had shotoclone-esque characters since the beginning, and it's still far from a SF clone.
I never said SC5 was a SF clone just because of that. I said it has foriegn gameplay functions that dont belong in the Soul Games. MK however is still and always was meant to be a 2D fighter but the meter addition isnt anything that wasn't already. I support enhanced moves sure; MK's meter just did that. The X-ray moves were actually just non lethal fatalities but still what MK is. Violent. I never had a problem with SC5's enchanced move combos because thats all they are, just an upgrade to an element already part of its own system.
by Project Soul making a non-canon game, we can play pretty much every characters past or present in a new game.
Didn't you already say that?

I never said SC5 was a SF clone just because of that. I said it has foriegn gameplay functions that dont belong in the Soul Games. MK however is still and always was meant to be a 2D fighter but the meter addition isnt anything that wasn't already. I support enhanced moves sure; MK's meter just did that. The X-ray moves were actually just non lethal fatalities but still what MK is. Violent. I never had a problem with SC5's enchanced move combos because thats all they are, just an upgrade to an element already part of its own system.

... sorry, it's just that in the original post, it sounded like you didn't like the meter system in 5 because it caused the gameplay to be more SF-y.

A fighting game is about the game mechanics, characters & balance. Also, I'll get PS to make Patrolkos have the worst whiffing issues and worst damage output period.

HAHA! CONTRADICTION!

Back